Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

A good dynamic skybox solution [Looking for an asset to buy]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by UserNobody, Jan 1, 2021.

1. UserNobody

UserNobody

Hello,
    I am looking to buy a good dynamic skybox asset for my project.
    I want to implement a day and night cycle and have things like clouds, the ability to adjust the sun, moon, stars and etc.
    Something that is user-friendly and is really performant. I don't need an asset with an insane amount of things like weather, seasons, and such. I will be implementing those myself. I am only looking for a good dynamic skybox solution.

Are there any publishers who have such an asset? Or someone who has purchased something like this and can recommend it? Would really appreciate it!

Thank you

2. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I haven't used it in some time, but I recall Azure Sky being pretty darn good and think it ticks most or all of your boxes.

UserNobody likes this.
  3. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

I wouldn't do enviro then. it is beautiful but comes with all the bells and whistles.

To be honest, if you are comfortable implementing weather and seasons it seems like a simple rotating sky sphere with another layer for stars and sun and moon that go across set arc should be easy enough to implement? Like, I am not a programmer and I can do things like that.

UserNobody likes this.
  4. ippdev

ippdev

Azure Sky rocks. So versatile and no drop in fps.

UserNobody likes this.
  5. UserNobody

UserNobody

I've been eyeing Azure Sky for a bit, always seemed really nice but wasn't sure. Now when multiple people suggested it, I'll try to give it a go! Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  6. UserNobody

UserNobody

I actually tried Enviro Sky. It's nice, but way too many options for my liking. Many options are fine if the interface is user-friendly. With Enviro Sky it's a bit of a mess, unfortunately. Also, it's not the fastest, even without using the Volumetric Clouds, just flat the FPS dropped from ~70 to ~30, which is a lot... Overall it's not a bad asset, actually, the results look really nice, it's just not for me I guess.
    Programming is not an issue, shaders definitely are. I wanna do really nice looking moving/morphing clouds and such, which would require some shader work and I'm not so good when it comes to shaders. So that's kind of an issue. I'll try Azure Sky. As far as I heard seems legit and pretty much what I'm looking for. At least I really hope so

7. UserNobody

UserNobody

Thanks, I will give it a go!

8. ippdev

ippdev

It is a physical based sky with proper controllable atmospheric scattering, a weather system, calendar and geographical based lighting. With every feature cranked to max I suffer maybe a 1 or 2 frame drop in FPS if that.

9. UserNobody

UserNobody

I recently brought this asset and I'm loving it so far! User-friendly, powerful, and most importantly performant. Really happy with it!

ippdev likes this.