Search Unity

A Gaming thesis

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by dan, Feb 7, 2006.

1. dan

dan

I'm about to start working on my thesis for my Master's degree in a video game design program. I have a few ideas, but I'm still looking for some more inspiration and guidance.

So, has anyone seen or read any interesting theses done with/about game design?

There's a good chance a lot of the work will be done in Unity, in which case I'd be more that happy to share my work with the community along the way.

Thanks,
    dan

2. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

Which field? Theory of game design? Applied? History? Social studies on game design?

3. dan

dan

I wrote my initial proposal a few days ago which focused on studying online game development communities. I was basically told that was okay, but I was also told "building things can also be research," and to try to "build something."

So my current train of thought would probably be considered some kind of application/experimentation of design theory. Although I'd be interested in hearing about examples from any field.

4. greenland

greenland

I did a thesis on games for my digital media BA. Was on interactive multimedia as an emerging fine art medium.

I passed... I don't think I could recomend it as a resource though. :?

5. dacloo

dacloo

I did my MA thesis on "addiction addictive gameplay" (psychology based).

Why are games addictive? How can you make them more addictive? What is addiction in general? Are gamble and smoke addicts the same as game addicts? Is it morally acceptable to create addictive games? Are there difference between game genres?

6. erikc

erikc

a collaborative learning or criticism or prototyping tool?
    an adjunct app that allows people to leave comments or screenshots on works in progress in world would be pretty cool.

7. 3dfx

3dfx

If you need help on teaching experience and the problem of starting courses let me know :eek: