Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

A Game to Create?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Tom01098, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Tom01098

Tom01098

So, here I am, wanting to make games for the rest of my life.

I know there's no way I can manage to make a full-on MMO-RPG open-world masterclass of a game, that's sorted. I followed both the Roll-A-Ball project and the Space Shooter project, and I feel comfortable enough to go out into the world by myself and earn my wings by myself.

So, I would like a game idea that uses minimal extra assets. I could make basic shapes in Blender if I had to, but I feel like I'd rather steer clear for the time being, and I'm the kind of person that doesn't like using assets from the store.

So just drop any of your project ideas, original or old, and I'll see what I can do

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Welcome!

Hmm, you don't want to make your own assets, and you don't want to use assets from the store... that doesn't leave much, does it? :)

I guess you'll have to go for something very abstract, like Geometry Wars, with mechanics but very little fiction (to put it in game design terms).

Or, I suppose, you could go all-out fiction and make yourself a text adventure!

In all seriousness, though, my suggestion is to get over your aversion to the Asset Store; there's a ton of great stuff there. For 2D work, there's also a ton of great stuff over at OpenGameArt.org. You can't do two tutorials and expect to be creating great works; you need to refine and extend your skills for a couple of years, at least, and you may as well make decent-looking games (using legally acquired assets) while you do.

And if you're short on ideas, why, many of those assets can be quite inspiring. I myself avoid going to the Asset Store as much as possible, not only because I see things I want, but because it fills my head with dreams & ambitions for new projects — and I have enough projects already!

3. jhocking

jhocking

Pretty much anything abstract would work now. That is, pick any game genre and do it with abstract art direction.

How about an abstract first-person shooter? FPS games *can* be very complex AAA endeavors, but you could just make a game about colored blocks moving around a blank maze.

4. Tom01098

Tom01098

I understand that it won't be a AAA game, obviously.
    I understand that the Asset Store could be good for me, I just don't really enjoy using other people's work in my own, and claiming it as mine.

5. Tom01098

Tom01098

I really like that idea, I suppose I'll give it a go!

6. sadsack

sadsack

About 15 years ago I made a game in DBP where you had 55 sphere coming at you. I had a HUD for a target spot. You just put the sight es on the sphere and clicked the left mouse. It started with one at a time moving slow, then pick up with more and more spheres coming at you faster and faster. It was fun to play.

7. james_m_russell

james_m_russell

I felt the same way after i finished the 2nd tutorial (i was going to go out and build something on my own).

had some unplanned free time and started the survival shooter tutorial and realized it had a whole bunch of new stuff that would really help out. I would recommend it.

actually.. i have to give props to the tutoral creators. in the three i have done so far, they have been awesome. they build on each other and compliment each other.

JoeStrout likes this.
  8. Ryiah

Ryiah

If you felt like you needed to give people credit I don't think anyone would complain if you listed their names in the credits along with the assets you bought. ;)

JoeStrout likes this.
  9. Tom01098

Tom01098

Haha, I feel more like it's a pride thing, where I prefer to have built it all by myself (doesn't make much sense I know)