Search Unity

a few small bugs

Discussion in 'Prefabs' started by laurentlavigne, Jun 25, 2018.

1. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

1052896: skybox of environment scene ignored
    1052895: select and open are swapped
    1052891: open button of an asset is grayed out

2. runevision

runevision

Thanks for the bug reports.

Select and Open buttons are not swapped: There was no Open button before.

The old buttons were: Select, Revert, Apply
    The new buttons are: Open, Select, Overrides (dropdown)

Only Select is kept from before, and switched position by design because Open is now significantly a primary action over Select.

We'll look into the other cases.

3. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

you're forgetting assets: Select - Open. So yeah after 10 years of using Unity, having those swapped is an annoyance, I keep pressing one for the other.

4. runevision

runevision

Okay, you're talking about Model Prefab instances specifically.

They used to have the buttons: Select, Revert, Open
    Whereas the new buttons are: Open, Select, Overrides (dropdown)

The Overrides button has to be on the right, like it is for regular Prefab instances. It's not viable to place it in the middle for Model Prefab instances. So the Open button, which used to be on the right, has to change position as well. While we were changing button order anyway, we decided to move Open all the way to the left, since there's now also an Open button for normal Prefabs (which there didn't used to be) and this is a primary action.

Out of curiosity, is it the Open or the Select button changing place that is causing you most trouble? Since you keep making it sound like Select and Open were right next to each other - which they never were - I'm wondering which muscle memory you have specifically.

A note on terminology that could make communication easier in the future: Assets are the objects in the Project window. Instances are in the Hierarchy window / scene. What you're talking about is an instance, not an asset. You seem to mean a Model Prefab over a Regular Prefab. Both are assets (in the Project window) not only Models. And both can have instances in the Hierarchy/scene. So when you mean a Model Prefab, that's the term to use, instead of 'asset', which could mean any Prefab. :)

5. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

You're right it's instance of asset or prefab in the hierarchy I'm talking about.
    And yes it's the open button I keep pressing by mistake thinking it's the select button because select has been far left for 10 years.
    Since it's muscle memory I had to pay attention to what I was doing and I noticed that I never use the open button, I think I've always double clicked on the asset instance or prefab instance. And in the 2018.2 special I use arrow or mostly double click.
    I agree that override on the far right is perfect.
    Maybe keep Select on the far right and Open at the right of Select, that seems like the surest way to please old timers.

6. runevision

runevision

I'm trying to better understand, when you intent to use Select, what is it you want to do?

You used to have to press Select in order to edit the Prefab Asset in the Project window, but this is no longer possible. Now you can do basically nothing for regular Prefabs, and edit import settings for Model Prefabs. So it is because you want to edit model import settings frequently, and you keep pressing open instead by accident?

I think people wanting to open Prefabs for editing is a more frequent case than wanting to change import settings, which is why the Open button now has the prominent position the Select button used to have. Select being more prominent made sense when you could do more with the assets of regular Prefabs, but now that you have to open them to edit them anyway, it's different.

7. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

I use select to find the asset, usually to move prefabs/assets, re organizing folders, renaming assets that sort of things...

8. runevision

runevision

All right, thanks for the insight. :)

This thread has been with the two of us only so far. If anyone else are also experiencing issues with the placement of the Select button, please feel free to reply here and let us know.