Search Unity

A few questions BEFORE using Unity+PlayMaker

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Bobbysolo100, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Bobbysolo100

Bobbysolo100

Hello Unity users. I just got my hands on Unity and have not made a game yet. Plus, I just got my hands on a asset called PlayMaker. But before I start making a game, I do have a question about this asset(may have more though). Can you REALLY make a game using PlayMaker without c#?

2. Schneider21

Schneider21

Absolutely. Probably not the next Witcher 3 or GTA V, but something like Flappy Bird or Crossy Road should be doable using only Playmaker and built-in Unity components.

Bear in mind, the end results will be greatly influenced by your experience and mastery of the tools you're using in any case, so whether it's Playmaker or C#, the higher your proficiency, the better off you'll be.

3. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes and no. Yes, you can make a game without writing a single line of code. No, you can't make a game without at least understanding the basics behind programming. For the most part though you will pick up these basics while learning and experimenting with PlayMaker.

4. Bobbysolo100

Bobbysolo100

so learn both?

5. Schneider21

Schneider21

What Ryiah is saying is that yes, you can use only PlayMaker to create a game. But just because you're not writing code doesn't mean you don't have to learn the fundamentals of programming. If you go through good tutorials on using PlayMaker, you'll essentially be learning those fundamentals, though.

6. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

One of the advantages of a high level language like Play Maker for learning is you don't have to learn the Unity API and the C# syntax at the same time.

For example with Play Maker you can learn what a ray cast is, without having to understand what a RayCastHit is (ie Unity API), you also don't need to understand the out keyword (C# syntax).

If your target game has an even moderate complexity, you are going to need to learn these things eventually. But there is something to be said for delaying learning a little bit.

7. Bobbysolo100

Bobbysolo100

That makes sense. I am familiar with c# but PlayMaker is a whole new level. Besides, I don't plan on making on making a GTA,or Witcher 3, DBZ or anything. Just some platformers 2d and 3d(if PlayMaker can hit it off), casuals, shoot em up games, etc. But I was thinking if I can make the game more dynamic(Grab ledges,Enemy shoot at players,climb walls,etc.)
    THAT is if PlayMaker can do this of course( I don't mind doing a little C# because im familiar with programming)

8. Ryiah

Ryiah

If you are familiar with programming then PlayMaker will likely feel considerably slower for anything beyond the basics. On the bright side you can actually mix the two together. You can create new actions for PlayMaker with C#.

https://hutonggames.fogbugz.com/?W166

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    Kiwasi likes this.
  9. Bobbysolo100

Bobbysolo100

yeah but im still concerned about both

10. Schneider21

Schneider21

Well you're not gonna know until you give it a shot. Just dive in using one method or the other (or both, if you like) and see what works for you. If you don't like it, try the other. And if you don't like either, consider how badly you want to be a game developer. :)

11. Bobbysolo100

Bobbysolo100

yeah maybe your right. But can i do climb walls,grab ledges,etc? Because aim at 2d games instead of 3d.(3D games is amazing, but completely hard to make one, i just find 2d much easier).