Search Unity

A few Optimization questions (Batches, Verts, Tris, FPS)

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Zaine7673, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Zaine7673

Zaine7673

Hi all,

I've going through a lot of pages regarding optimization, understanding the Profiler and so on and think I've got my head around most of it but still being thrown off by a few things I've read. I know there are a lot of pages regarding this out there but I just needed someone to dumb down some of it for me :confused:

So I understand that reducing the batches with texture atlases and prefabs and so on is a good thing as it reduces the number of draw calls. So where does FPS come in to play? Some say that all is well as long as the FPS is high enough, some say that regardless of the FPS being high, the draw calls/batches need to be low to make sure game runs smoothly.

I'm trying to build a game for the android S8 and new devices. A few people have mentioned that batches should be kept below 70-80 and FPS higher than 30. My game shows batches around 75 - 130 depending on where I am on the level. FPS is between 160 - 250 again, depending on where I am.

When I run it on the S8 device, most times it runs perfectly. the same build sometimes can have a slow frame frame here and there but pretty unnoticeable to a normal player (I only see it because I'm looking for it)

So I'm confused as to what to make of this. Do I say that it plays well so no need to optimize any further or are these numbers not acceptable for my target platform even though it runs perfectly?

The profiler shows spikes that I believe could be the cause of the slow frames here and there but its never consistent. it seems to be down to (i think)

Camera.Renderer>Drawing>Render.OpaqueGeometry>RenderForwardOpaque.Render>RenderForward.RenderLoopJob

I've already tried disabling each item to see which is creating these spikes or the most amount of batches but the only thing i can find is the (one) point light i have on the scene. switching this off reduces everything but that's because nothing can be seen on the camera.

I'm not looking for answers, just a way to make some sense of this so I can learn how to tackle these sort of things going forward.

Thank you (and sorry for the essay :rolleyes:)

stats.PNG Capture.PNG