Search Unity

A few more IDE things...

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by taumel, Aug 24, 2005.

1. taumel

taumel

Hi,

Is there any reason why values entered while the game is running can't be stored? It would be great if i could set a flag if i want changes made while playing to be stored.

It would be great if i could draw a rectangle around objects to do a multiple select.

Orientation would be easier if the axis would be named with symbols (x/y/z) and/or if the appropriate values in the inspector have the same colours instead of grey.

Deleting should be able by hitting only ONE key as you always have to take the hand away from the mouse which is annoying. >> fully configurable shortcuts.

Also a flag beside the scale so that i can do uniform scales (altering one value => all three get updated) would be great.

The choosen timescale is ignored while not beeing in playmode and looking at particles

Greetings,

taumel

2. taumel

taumel

Hi,

another thing which is a bit bitchy in the IDE is that you can't control the values in the inspector by mouse.

Example: You do have sometimes situations where an object is out of view so you select it in the hierarchy (Sometimes it's also hard to find it as the axes don't show up). Then you want to alter it's position but without changing the view of the scene...

A suggestion of how the values in the inspector could be controlled better:

1) Left-Mouse-Button-Double-Click on a value-field/(endless scrollwheel) let's you enter a value.
    2) Clicking the value once and dragging let's you change the value (which of course is updated). This is automatically accelerated depending of how far/fast you went.
    3) Right-Mouse-Button-Click resets the field.

It would be nice if there would be a mechanism that allows me to exchange cameraviews. Most of the time i rumble around in the scene view. Then i find a perspective which i like and now it would be great if i could easily give the transform-information to another object like a camera for instance.

Greetings,

taumel

PS: If prefered i could wirte all these things together and post it in the wishlist?

3. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

One hidden little hack you can do is take the __EditModeScene that is in the Temp directory of your project and move it and rename it to something.unity .. . then you can open the scene that was just playing... I think

-Jon

4. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

Do you know of control dragging numbers in the inspector? To be able to control drag things in the Transform component a little trick is to temporarily switch to Expert view.
    Do you know of menu GameObject -> Align With View ?

Cheers,
    -Jon

5. taumel

taumel

Hi aarku,

no i didn't know either of them. Well, silly me with only two days sparetime experience... ;O)

dragging:
    I tried the dragging in expert-mode but it's not accelerated, no auto movement and the offsets are too small (also with the shift) so it's not really helpful. I once programmed such a steering and is was so sweet to handle.

view:
    Now i do, thanks!

Greetings,

taumel

6. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

Glad to help out and glad you are now "on board"!

-Jon

7. taumel

taumel

Thanks! :O)