Search Unity

A few general questions...

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by pareod, Feb 13, 2017.

1. pareod

pareod

Aside from learning the engine, I am toying around with a few features that I need to understand better. Could someone briefly explain these features?

I created a remote repo on Bitbucket, I turned my empty Unity project into a repo, and I connected everything with Sourcetree. I am assuming all of this is used to allow multiple people to work on the project simultaneously, correct? If so, then what is Unity Collaborate? I also connected Unity Cloud Build to my Bitbucket repo and just managed to build the empty project. Is Unity Cloud Build just a service to build projects from remote repo's so that you don't have to pull the repo to a local machine and build it?

In general, please explain the uses and differences of having a repo on Bitbucket, using Collaborate, and using Cloud Build. Thanks!

2. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Source control is helpful for sharing projects. It's also useful to keep a history of what you did and why. Plus you can do branching, which is useful for testing out new features.

Cloud build gets useful as your project gets bigger. Building on multiple platforms can take a chunk of time. No need to sit and wait while that happens.

Nobody really knows what collaborate is for. :p

Ryiah likes this.
  3. Ryiah

Ryiah

Are you referring to this? :p

collaborate.png

Joking aside Unity Collaborate is Unity's own implementation of a version control system focused on simplicity.

Kiwasi likes this.