Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

A DDR Fangame

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by nickavv, Jun 8, 2007.

1. nickavv

nickavv

I decided to toy around and make a Dance Dance Revolution fangame (first fangame in Unity?). It's called DDR-Crystal. Here's a web player demo. So far I have the arrows working (although not lined up right with the song yet, sorry!). Known bug is that you can hold down all the keys to make the arrows all disappear as if you had hit them. Although doing so once the scoring system was added would result in a failing grade I'm sure. Anyways, give me your suggestions!

http://unicade.unifycommunity.com/ddr/DDR-C.html

2. StarManta

StarManta

Unfortunately, Unity is entirely incompatible with DDR-style games: its audio class doesn't provide nearly enough support, and until tht changes, anything that relies on timing will fall completely flt on its fate.

3. nickavv

nickavv

Are you saying that the timing will be different depending on the machine?

4. aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan

5. StarManta

StarManta

Yes, and also different runs - if the song takes a split second longer to load one run than another, you've got no way of detecting or compensating for that. Ditto if the song skips in the middle.

Besides that, with Stepmania being high-quality, mature, versatile, free, and well-known, I don't think you'd have any chance of gaining traction.

....not to spit on your parade or anything. Racetrack looks fun. >.>

6. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

Way too easy, and not because of the hold cheat ;)

I have wanted to do a rhythm game of some type in Unity for a while, its sad to hear that the audio class isn't up to it. I like anything DDR though so nice job ;).

Attached Files:

7. nickavv

nickavv

I get it. :p I'll hold this off until when (if) the Audio class is more advanced. Thanks for the comments!