Search Unity

Feedback A couple requests for prefab variants

Discussion in 'Prefabs' started by TheValar, Mar 8, 2019.

1. TheValar

TheValar

While creating UI I have run into a couple scenarios that were tough to resolve. relating to prefab variants

Scenario 1:
    there have been a few times where after making heavy modifications to a prefab, I have decided that this would be a good candidate for a prefab variant. Generally many of the modifications made are specific to that particular instance of it and not something I want in the prefab variant itself. Currently the only way to make a prefab variant is to drag that out into the asset view. Then if I want to discard some of those changes I have made there is no way to do it in just the prefab variant without also changing the instance it was just created from.

Feature: It would be nice to be able to create a variant from the overrides drop-down and be able to cherry pick which changes I want to apply to that variant, and which I want to stay as overrides to that variant.

Scenario 2:
    Let's say I have a button that just has text on it. Then in a new section I realize I need that button to have and image and text, but I don't have the foresight to make a variant right then and there (maybe I think it's a one time deal or something). Before I know it I suddenly have 10 buttons where I have manually added an image along with the text and I decide this really should be a variant of the text only prefab. I can easily enough make a variant from one of those buttons, but then I will have to go and recreate each of the others from the new prefab variant

Feature: It would be cool if you could take a nested prefab that is linked to a base prefab, and tell it to link to one of that base prefabs variants instead