Search Unity

A couple questions regarding distribution size

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by Mr. Animator, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Mr. Animator

Mr. Animator

Hey folks,

So I'm having a hard time figuring out how large my app actually is once installed on the iphone. Is there some easy way to tell from within Xcode or the finder how big my app actually is?

Another question I have is regarding importing of MP3's. It seems like no matter what I do, all compressed audio (mp3, mp4, whatever) comes into unity at 1411 kbps, so a typical mp3 weighs in 6 times larger than it should. For instance, I have an mp3 that's under 2 megs on my drive, but in unity it says its 18 megs or so. There doesn't seem to be any way to change this - am I missing something?

2. potan

potan

Mr. Animator, as far as i know it's inside that build folder, with your application name.

I'm not sure if that's the only one copied to the device though, i'd love to know more about this too :D

3. Lab013

Lab013

Build your app... Then view it in finder and compress it to zip. Get info and find out size.

4. Dreamora

Dreamora

Thats wrong

Apple does not use the ultra compression profile for the iphone (anymore at least, 2.0 used that, install times were a horror with an hour for 100mb games like their poker)

take away 15-20% from your uncompressed size, thats what you will likely get in the end.

5. ReJ

ReJ

Unity Technologies

MP3's are used as-is on iPhone. We don't really do any changes to them (the import progress bar you see actually represents converting mp3 to ogg for playing inside the editor).

How doe you query kbps? And how do you judge final size of an audio file inside your iPhone distribution?

6. Mr. Animator

Mr. Animator

It shows file size and the 1411 bit rate in the import options for the MP3. Perhaps this is just what it WOULD be if it were being imported as Ogg Vorbis? If that's the case its a little confusing, seeing as how I'd expect that information to not be visible if it doesn't apply to the format I have selected at the time.

7. ReJ

ReJ

Unity Technologies

Ah, I see what you mean. Will be fixed.

8. EducaSoft

EducaSoft

Euhm, I don't think I get it.

OK te updated iphone version can now play music in compressed form, but suppose that I have here on my computer an 64kbps mono soundtrack, then how should I get this one inside my iphone game ?

If the file is 500Kb, will it just increase my game with 500kb, or will it increase more.

And what about that OGG conversion. Is it only converted to play correct in the editor but on the iphone it is kept as the original (not recompressed) mp3 file?

How many mp3 files could we play simultaneously? (More then 1?)

Regards,

Bart

9. Dreamora

Dreamora

Right, iphone uses the mp3. iphone does not support OGG.

File size therefor will only raise the the MP3 size + the little memory you will have to invest to link it to objects through scripts or components

10. EducaSoft

EducaSoft

tnx dreamora

Any idea if more then 1 mp3 can be played at once ?

or maybe 1 mp3 and then some uncompressed sfx over it ?

11. ReJ

ReJ

Unity Technologies

You can play only 1 mp3 at once (that is hardware/apple API restriction). You can play several uncompressed sounds over it.