Search Unity

Feedback A Beautiful Galaxy

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by JohnnyCar, Sep 7, 2020.

1. JohnnyCar

JohnnyCar

Hey guys and gals, my name is Jon. I am building a demo for a game I want to eventually complete.

I want to build an MMO. I know, I know, please be nice.

I have about 2-3 months of experience with unity. Working on the concepts and basics of unity.

I've had unity for a while creating on-and-off. I would like to get some more people involved with my project.

Here is the premise and the game I am trying to build.

The game focuses on Exploration, Conquest, and Space Fights.

Whereas exploration consists of flying through space, going through black holes, and using space gates to go from galaxy to galaxy. As you explore you fight your way to gain Galaxy Conquests. When you conquer a galaxy (kill all the AI in the area) you have the ability to assign a Galaxy Designator(Galaxy Name). So you can fly back and revisit any conquered galaxy. We also want to have a galaxy mapping system that allows players to "Trade Exploration Data" - Map Cards.

Asteroid Mining for Bullets, Nebular Mining for Fuel, Ai killing for Items, boosts, and loot.

With Custom ships sometime in the future.

A video from a few days ago of (TEASER):

Echoes 2020 09 05 20 53 19 Tri

The game is procedurally generated. Based on the code core from and modified to fit our needs:
    https://shadowplaycoding.com/portfolio/4x-space-game/
    Screenshot (9).png

I have solved the zero-point floating problem. Using this technique and implementing 3-Dimensional GameObjects:
    http://www.starcomnexus.com/how-to-manage-a-very-very-very-large-contiguous-universe/
    I used 3-Dimensional triggers around my "Sector" to basically reload the scene with a random seed as the player leaves the sector, then the player is "teleported" to the other side, to give the illusion of him entering a new area and an infinite universe.
    Screenshot (8).png
    The floating-point problem itself is almost finished there are a few quirks I still need to iron out. At its simplest form so far the game is an "Infinite Space Shooter in any direction."

I wanted to ask a few questions, and was hoping to get some guidance. Please, I'm not looking for discouragement I am looking for encouragement and tips.

So the first question is:
    Using the Mirror how can do we implement a system that will allow us to use a similar setup?

Although code examples would be great I am looking for conceptual level implementation, that I can later code myself. Thank you!

Here is the first DEVLOG:

JFI66 likes this.
  2. Mister-D

Mister-D

very psychedelic :cool:

JohnnyCar likes this.
  3. JohnnyCar

JohnnyCar

Thank you!