Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

A + B = C?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by CruxMundy, Apr 7, 2022.

1. CruxMundy

CruxMundy

Hello everyone,

Looking to make a somewhat simple game loop where I have a list of items that all have a sprite representing them in the game where I have an overall box that contains the items the player has, and has two boxes where the player can drag and drop these sprites to "combine" these items into new items.

If you'd like an example of what I'm talking about the Crafty game for Ludum Dare by Brackeys is a perfect example.

I tried to follow what they did in the video and even went as far as to download the original source for the game but I didn't understand how he's doing the item list or the recipe list.

How would I go about making the list of items and the recipe list that feeds new items? I'm mainly a Java programmer so I want to lean towards databases but as I understand classes or serialization may be the route I'm supposed to use here. I would really appreciate any links towards documentation or tutorials for how to do really any of these systems that I'm trying to do as well as any help posted here.

Edit: I'm aware he talks about Scriptable Objects but where I'm getting stuck is understanding how I actually create the list like this or edit it later to add in items or recipes.