Search Unity

[Version 2 RELEASED] A+ Assets Explorer - Know Your Assets In Project Better

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Amlovey, May 10, 2016.

1. artysta

artysta

Thanks, greg (at) artystastudios (dot) com

2. Amlovey

Amlovey

Sent, please check your email.

3. artysta

artysta

Got it, will get to it in an hour or 2.
    Thanks!

4. Amlovey

Amlovey

Spring Festival SALES is on

5. Amlovey

Amlovey

Normal price request was submitted to AssetStore

6. Amlovey

Amlovey

v2.0.5 is available on Asset Store now

7. mcmorry

mcmorry

Hi @Amlovey
    do you plan to add Tag and Layer usage report, by analyzing prefabs and, eventually c# code?
    Even if is not 100% precise it could at least help to reduce the manual research by excluding the ones that are used for sure. (of course would be nice to see what and where tags and layers are used)

8. Amlovey

Amlovey

@mcmorry thank you for suggestion. That sounds interesting. I will take a further look to see if there are Unity APIs we can use. Would you mind drop me an email if you have more thought on the feature?

9. mcmorry

mcmorry

Sure, I'll send you a PM with more details on possible implementation.

10. Amlovey

Amlovey

mcmorry likes this.
  11. Amlovey

Amlovey

2.0.7 is available now

12. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Hi @Amlovey,

I imported your asset into my project to know which assets can be removed to reduce the size of my repo. However whenever I click on the 'Find unused assets' menu item it asks me to trigger a build. I did it numerous times but still the same messages popsup. Do I miss something?
    The charts in asset size summary are displaying so the data should be available I guess. I'm on Unity 5.6.1p1 in case you are wondering.

13. Amlovey

Amlovey

Hi @cygnusprojects,

It's by design that the build setting dialog pop up everytime after clicking 'find unused files' menu. Because Asset Explorer needs the build report of UnityEditor to identify which assets are using and which are not. To ensure to build report is latest and correct, we need to trigger a build.

And yes, you are right, the assets size summary is displaying means the data is available.

14. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

I was expecting a list of all the unused assets after using the 'Find unused assets' menu. However watching the video on your website did reveal I have to check per asset type. Works fine, naming of the menu item isn't clear for somebody using your asset for the first time (without checking the manual).

15. Amlovey

Amlovey

Yes, but I have no idea What's the more suitable name for it. May be I can try to pop up a dialog to tell user the behavior at first time he use it? i'm not sure it's correct design or not for now.

16. MoribitoMT

MoribitoMT

Great asset, I love it.

I review this asset in 2 category.

1. FUNCTIONALITY ( 9/10 ). It's features are great, lots of informations, analysis, great representation of informations, cool little tools like renaming, etc..

2. CORE CODING/USABILITY/OPTIMIZATIONS ( 1/10 ). This asset slow, very very very slow, stucks, makes Unity unusable. It does some caching time time, switching between tabs are slow, renaming 10 asset with rename tool is slow, and makes unity even slower. Whenever use this asset in anyway or any functionality, Unity started get slower in time ( I used Unity 5.4 and 5.6 ), at some point Unity becomes unusable. So, I remove the asset.

All in all, I use this asset for specific purposes and I remove it after I use it. I think you have to look into more code optimizations, simplier/smaller UI elements/management, garbage collections, memory managements, etc..

Regards.

17. Amlovey

Amlovey

Thank you very much for review. I'm tring to use new cache system which will improve the speed of data loading. And performance will be the Key imprvement in next release in my plan.

Thank you for your time.

MoribitoMT likes this.
  18. EricDaily

EricDaily

[UPDATE] -- Issue resolved. Script Inspector 3 was interfering.

Bought just now on asset store and trying it on my MacbookPro 2017, but the 'A+ Asset Explorer' window isn't showing anything. I've tried reloading, rebuilding the cache, etc. but no cigar. Any ideas?

Perhaps the error in the image below is related (although this error only occurs when I try to Find Unused Assets and run a build). The export to .csv seems to work fine, so I think the underlying tech is functional. It's just, somehow the attempt to render to GUI gets borked.

Screen Shot 2017-12-04 at 11.21.22 AM.png

EDIT:
    Reimported, restored layout to factory settings, and while I'm still not seeing the window populate with anything other than the default Unity gray background, I'm getting a different error:

Screen Shot 2017-12-04 at 2.49.40 PM.png

EDIT 2: I tried with a new project and it works just fine...so....somehow it's breaking. Is there any folder structure dependency outside of putting it in a 'Plugins' folder?

EDIT 3: Resolved! Turns out ScriptInspector3 (another asset store thing) was interfering. I removed SI3, closed and reopened, then reimported the asset and it worked. Cheers!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    Amlovey likes this.
  19. Amlovey

Amlovey

Glad to hear it works now. Seems that something wrong happen. I will try to repro and see What cause it. Thank you for your post and very useful Information.

EricDaily likes this.
  20. csiro_rmc3

csiro_rmc3

Hi @Amlovely,

Just bought the asset and have started looking into using it.
    Had an odd behaviour I thought might be worth noting.

Initially I couldn't get Asset size summary and unused asset flags to show up even after doing builds and refreshing the cache. Moved to a fresh project and just imported the standard vehicle assets with the same result.

Then I turned on the 'development build' flag and the stats came up fine (both in the simple project and my main working project) - figure this flag was needed to generate the proper information in the logs or something like that.

While it is working for me now, it wasn't obvious to me the flag was needed - sorry if this is noted somewhere and I've missed it.

There doesn't appear to be a mention in the docs, and when I looked again at the intro video the flag doesn't appear to be checked (after 2:18) - although that looks to be generated on Unity 5.5.
    I'm running a Mac on 10.12.6, using Unity 2017.2.0f3.

Would this behaviour be expected?
    Or perhaps an effect of 2017.2 (it has plenty of other bugs in this version)

If expected, might be worth noting in the doc intro, only happenstance that I checked the flag.
    Either way, hoping this might help any others hitting the same thing.

Regards

Amlovey likes this.
  21. Amlovey

Amlovey

Thank you so much for the Information. The Development Build is not required by design. May be something was changed in Unity 2017.2.0f3. I will try setup an environment to repro tomorrow and see What happen.

22. Amlovey

Amlovey

Hello @cjcatrix, did you open multiple Unity Editor Instance when the issue happen? I found an issue that If there are multiple Unity Editor Instance, the latest opened one will take over the handle of Unity Editor log file and the previous ones cannot write anything to log files. This means the find unused assets feature of A+ may failed in the previous Unity Editor. I check it seems like the internal behaviour of Unity Editor that i cannot handle it... I will note this in document till i found fixes for it.

23. csiro_rmc3

csiro_rmc3

Thanks for responding @Amlovey , I can't recall whether I had another instance open but I wouldn't rule it out as I was doing compares between projects at some point.

I've tried replicating the issue this morning and everything is now working as expected without the dev build flag. However, I have moved on from my original test environment as I've installed 2017.3 beta in parallel and this may well have changed/refreshed parts of the 2017.2 install.

For interest, I also opened two instances of 2017.2 at the same and can seem to generate build stats correctly in both instances at the same time.

Given I can't repeat the issue and my test environment has changed, I'd suggest leaving off any further investigation unless another report surfaces.

Thanks for your time and consideration - very much appreciated.

24. csiro_rmc3

csiro_rmc3

Hi again @Amlovey , digging into it now I would like to add a copule of feature requests please.

In the asset detail view, to help track down large unused-assets, it would be helpful to shift-select multiple columns to combine ordering. For example in textures, select the unused column first and then shift select MaxSize to get the largest to smallest unused assets listed in order first.

Is there also some way of optionally displaying the relative asset path in the columns as well? This will help to sort based on asset pack / our own hierarchy as well.

Great work on a highly useful tool - you've developed something that will save heaps of time.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  25. Amlovey

Amlovey

Hi @cjcatrix,

Thank you :)

For the combine ordering, I will review my code and try if it's possible do that. For now, we can use the search feature to filter out the result and then sort it. For example, Input `Used: False` and then click the MaxSize column header to sort by MaxSize. For document for search feature, here it is http://www.amlovey.com/assets-explorer/search-assets/

For displaying the relative asset path. Do you mean the path of the assets displayed? Almost all assets have `Path` property, if it's not displaing on UI, We can select menu Action drop down -> Change Table Headers -> Check the 'Path' checkitem. You may take a look at this page: http://www.amlovey.com/assets-explorer/assets-explorer-ui/

I'm not sure if i misunderstand you or not.

26. csiro_rmc3

csiro_rmc3

Perfect, my bad - I'd missed the Change Table Headers (working on smaller laptop screen and the dropdown menu had clipped to the window), thanks for the heads up when I should have rtfm'd it.

The used search flag works great thanks, would still appreciate the multi-column sort if it makes sense at some point.
    It would make it easier to search based on 3rd-party asset package folders side-by-side (I see I can limit to individual folders with the Path: filter so that gives the ability to do enough of what I'm after for now).

Thanks again.

27. Amlovey

Amlovey

Yeah, mutil-column sort should be useful in some scenarios. I have created a todo item for it. Thank you.

28. Amlovey

Amlovey

20% OFF SALE for Spring Festival of China

29. Amlovey

Amlovey

Hmm... I will download latest Unity and see What's happen. Thank you for reporting issue.

30. Amlovey

Amlovey

I just test it on Unity2018.2.9f1, everything works fine except the movie texture display incorrect. I will fix it in next release.

31. Amlovey

Amlovey

Hi Fattie,

May I ask you try below steps and see if it works on your side?

1. Open the Unity Editor Log Folder folder, we can use the menu Tools -> A+ Assets Explorer -> Quick Folder Opener -> Editor Log Folder to open the folder.
    2. Close all Unity Editor instances.
    3. Delete the log files in the Log Folder in step#1.
    4. Launch Unity Editor.
    5. Click the menu Tools -> A+ Assets Explorer -> Find unused assets

32. Amlovey

Amlovey

Thanks for info. If you can see the chart, it means the feather works. You can find The unused asset status in Assets category.

33. Fattie

Fattie

Found it, magnificent:

list1.png

What a great asset. Fantastic

34. Amlovey

Amlovey

Glad to know you found it :)

35. Fattie

Fattie

Notice this file "Cliff_c" ,

size anomaly.png

notice on the Mac, actually in source control for the project, it is 31.6mb.

However in AssetsExplorer panel, it is 2.7mb

Why different? Thanks! I'm trying to find the unused assets which take up the most room in the actual project folder (ie in source control).

36. Amlovey

Amlovey

Storage Size means the size will go into the build, the size in source control is File Size, they are different. You can add the file size header via Change Table headers menu in the Actions dropdown, please refer the document online: http://www.amlovey.com/assets-explorer/assets-explorer-ui/

37. Fattie

Fattie

SO GOOD !

screenshot.png

So good I bought the full version on the Asset Store - THANK YOU!!!!!!

38. Amlovey

Amlovey

I should thank you to you for puchasing :)

39. Fattie

Fattie

FYI there's a slight problem in the current version on the Asset store:

screenshot.png

40. Amlovey

Amlovey

Will compability with new Unity in next release. I'm on vacation and will start it after i'm back to my city.

41. room710games

room710games

Hi, your asset looks interesting. Can it search for unused code? And does it work with Unity 2018.1.6?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  42. Amlovey

Amlovey

It supports script files. And I didn't test on the Unty 2018.1.6 but I do test on Unity 2018.2.5 and 2018.2.9 and it works. So I think should works on 2018.1.6. I recommend you can try the free version to How it's going on your side.

43. monblank

monblank

Hi, @Amlovey,
    Thanks for a great asset. I noticed one bug in assets usage information.

Even If prefab has broken connection with original one(eg delete some assets from prefab in scene, and so it brake a connection), after rebuilding and reloading assets info, Asset Explorer still shows that all assets from the original prefab are in use, but physically they are excluded from scene and from a build at all (tested on build size with heavy assets).

Btw, those physically unused assets are shown in tab "In Hierarchy", but when invoking button "Find References In Hierarchy" it has no any result, as prove of deletion assets from scene, but still appearing in Assets Explorer information as "Used assets".

Also found, that if permanently break connection with original prefab - https://forum.unity.com/threads/breaking-a-prefab-instance-for-good.501919 , then everything is OK, and assets information is correct.

44. Amlovey

Amlovey

Hi monblank, Thank you for reporting the issue. I will try to repro it and get back to you then after investigation.

45. Amlovey

Amlovey

Hi monblank,

I have fix the bug that "Find References In Hierarchy" button has no any result, and will add it to next release.

For usage issue, I can get same results as your side and the `Select Dependencies` menu item in Project Window have same behaviour. looks like it's caused by wrong return results by Unity Editor API `AssetDatabase.GetDependencies`.

46. monblank

monblank

Hi @Amlovey,
    Ok, in the future I will keep this in mind, the good thing is that this error is only informational.

I also found that all assets in folder .../Editor/.../Resource/ are also tagged as "Used assets", but actually all assets from "Editor" folder are excluded from build.

47. Amlovey

Amlovey

Hi monblank,

Current logic the trust all assets under /Resources/ folder as used, May be I need to fix it to exclude the assets are also under resources. Thank you for pointing out this.

48. smatthews1999

smatthews1999

I am currently trying your Free version of the asset. I feel like you really need some more documentation for this.

I am trying to locate unused assets in the several large asset packages I have downloaded and remove them.

I bring up your window and it lists all my textures.

When I select "Select Unused Assets" it selects nothing. This is definitely not the case as there are many I can see that I am not using. How does this actually work?

I see that you mention that dependencies of an AssetBundle are considered "used". Does that mean that asset packages downloaded from the Asset Store are AssetBundles?

49. Amlovey

Amlovey

"Select Unused Assets" will work when there are 'grey' color row in table of Assets Explorer. The rows will appear after 'find unused assets' feature executed.

And for dependencies of an AssetBundle questions. The answer is no...

50. attaway

attaway

is this compatible with 2018.3?