Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Ever participated in one our Game Jams? Want pointers on your project? Our Evangelists will be available on Friday to give feedback. Come share your games with us!
    Dismiss Notice

_GameIdea_ Gacha, collecting, mini-games, a 2D world; a small idea, looking for inspiration...

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by NoctisShadowzel, Aug 13, 2019.

1. NoctisShadowzel

NoctisShadowzel

First of all, I always wanted to develop a game world that is a cube, and inside of the cube, a different world for each face. (You have a forest in bottom inner face, and at top inner face you can go to clouds). I don't know 3D modelling but I want to develop a 3D game, so things will be mostly sprites, I think.
    To travel between worlds, faces of cube, you will have a special jump.

I always like the different items with different features (visual effects, special features etc.), and I want to implement Gacha to the game. There will be a time mechanic, and currency too (maybe something different, this is still idea phase) to get items from Gacha. Like a magical box in the middle of cubes inner faces, in the middle of game worlds, you get items from.

With Gachas, you open new content. You find a Crystal Fish, you open a lake and fishing mini-game.

Maybe some petting too. I want to develop a game where you play as a Poring.

Game world will be open, which develops with Gacha mechanic.

I want to have a minimal game world. Main design will be 1-bit, or a white-black world which changes as time passes, like day-night cycle. I can imagine a white-black game with some shaders, simple but aesthetical outlining etc. details, but I am not sure how it will look with 1-bit pixel-art.

Maybe game's main goal will be collecting and playing mini-games, and world will have a few extra things that player can do...

I will write a little more after I got new ideas and after working on my current project.

Meanwhile, when you read this, what you imagine? Would you play a game like this? To play it, what you would want to see? A story required? Will simple 1-bit design look good for you? (Kenney's 1-bit package have a preview image of a top down level which is made with 1 bit elements). If I wanted you to, play my game at least once in a day, pass some time with it, enjoy it; what would you want from this game?

TY for taking time ^.^ !

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

OK, sounds interesting, but please define your terms. I think I know what a Gacha is, but I have no idea what a Poring might be (and no time to google it).

Also, please include links when you reference something — I did take time to google Kenney's 1-bit pack, but if you're referring to this preview image...

...that's not really 1-bit, because there are different colors. I count at least 5 different colors, making this 3-bit graphics. :) Which maybe is fine; just define what you have in mind.

The cube-world mechanic sounds interesting, but I think you might have a hard time conveying this to the player. It might seem like it's just 6 randomly connected worlds.

3. kdgalla

kdgalla

Just to be pedantic, some old computers, like the ZX spectrum, had 1-bit-per-pixel graphics, but there'd also be a "palette" index for every 8x8 or 16x16 pixel block. It looks like that's what they were going for in that screen shot, so one-bit could be accurate in that sense.

It sounds like the OP was talking about pure black-and-white, though. Maybe like Minit or Return of the Obra Dinn?

JoeStrout likes this.
  4. NoctisShadowzel

NoctisShadowzel

@JoeStrout, sorry about shallow explanation; I suddenly decided to open this thread to find good ideas, I just poured down what I have in my mind at that time :)

Gacha; is like a toy-machine, where you get a toy in a capsule. I want this, because instead of implementing a story, I want player to randomly explore game content. I can't come up with a good story for this style of game...
    Poring; This things that people call Slimes. A different approach to create a interesting and enjoayble game will be adding a creature like Poring as a playable character. I never seen them in main-role of any game -.-'

1-bit: From a modern approach, I used 1-bit term to specify an art style where a object (item, character, tile, ...) is made only by one color by using one background as canvas. But after drawing a little in Aseprite, I decided this is not a good approach.

@kdgalla, thanks for reference games, it is good to see new things :) While talking about B&W; I was thinking a 3D world, where everything is Black with white outlines-details (in a cartoony style), and also reverse of that (a white scene with black details.) But as I said, I don't know 3D modelling, so this is a little too much for me. Instead,

I decided to build 2D scenes based on a White or Black background, without any details; and add elements on it. Like a white scene with a blue lake and a brown wooden bench for fishing mini-game. Some particle effects, a sunlight ray, a few trees. Minimal and clean.

While writing, I started to get inspiration, I will be drawing tonight! I will write some later and maybe share a drawing.

PS. Also, how can I show player a world which is made in a cubes inner faces, a connected and whole world? I don't want player to think they are randomly designed worlds, as @JoeStrout pointed out...

unityunity