Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

__ZN4FMOD12ChannelGroup21getAbsoluteAudibilityEPf may need to be added to EXPORTED_FUNCTIONS

Discussion in 'Web' started by dan_soqqle, May 30, 2022.

1. dan_soqqle

dan_soqqle

I'm trying to upgrade to the latest Unity 2022.1.1f1.
    However when building WebGL I get the error below. Any ideas?

I did try to delete the bee folder and retry but doesn't do anything.
    Or can someone teach me how to find out which package may be causing these?

I did try a completely new project and have no problems. It must be one of the other packages in my project.

Code (CSharp):
    1. Building Library/Bee/artifacts/WebGL/build/debug_WebGL_wasm/build.js failed with output:
    2. error: undefined symbol: _ZN4FMOD12ChannelGroup21getAbsoluteAudibilityEPf (referenced by top-level compiled C/C++ code)
    3. warning: Link with `-s LLD_REPORT_UNDEFINED` to get more information on undefined symbols
    4. warning: To disable errors for undefined symbols use `-s ERROR_ON_UNDEFINED_SYMBOLS=0`
    5. warning: __ZN4FMOD12ChannelGroup21getAbsoluteAudibilityEPf may need to be added to EXPORTED_FUNCTIONS if it arrives from a system library
    6. Error: Aborting compilation due to previous errors
    7. emcc2: error: '/Applications/Unity/Hub/Editor/2022.1.1f1/PlaybackEngines/WebGLSupport/BuildTools/Emscripten/node/node /Applications/Unity/Hub/Editor/2022.1.1f1/PlaybackEngines/WebGLSupport/BuildTools/Emscripten/emscripten/src/compiler.js /var/folders/f2/p1mln9yx1w73vprg9ykm6b7m0000gn/T/tmpgd96asqq.txt' failed (1)
    8. UnityEditor.GenericMenu:CatchMenu (object,string[],int) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/GenericMenu.cs:127)

Last edited: May 30, 2022
    DannyWebbie likes this.
  2. dhindman

dhindman

I'm also encountering this issue with 2022.1.3f1. I suspect it has to do with Timeline. Are you using that package in your project?

3. dan_soqqle

dan_soqqle

Nope. I am not. I couldn't sort it out for 2022 so I ended up downgrading to 2021 :(

4. justin_unity842

justin_unity842

Encountering this error as well in unity 2022.1.10f1
    upload_2022-8-17_8-8-32.png

5. unityruba

unityruba

Unity Technologies

would any of us be willing to supply a bug repro project that I can use to test this? I might have an idea of what the issue is, and if I can repro it reliably I can fix it faster.

JesseSTG and Dreamidea2017 like this.
  6. rrriaaa

rrriaaa

Same error encountered in unity 2022.1.10f1
    upload_2022-8-25_14-57-38.png

7. unityruba

unityruba

Unity Technologies

A repro project would *greatly* speed up the fix for this :)

8. dan_soqqle

dan_soqqle

bearcoree likes this.
  9. btsn

btsn

Also hitting this. Anyone have a workaround?

10. unityruba

unityruba

Unity Technologies

@btsn I'm awaiting a bug repro project because I can't reproduce the error with any build. @dan_soqqle said he'll look into supplying one, but if you have one that repro's the issue, I'd be happy to get it and try to fix the bug :)

11. btsn

btsn

Last edited: Sep 9, 2022
  12. btsn

btsn

I switched 'API Compatibility Level' from .Net Standard to .Net Framework and I was able to build at least once.

Edit: And was unable to build again. Tried switching back, build failed, then switching back again, build failed again.

Edit: Not confident about this. I was working with my project and a new empty project trying to find a minimal repro case. I might have just inadvertently built on the empty project.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2022
  13. bearcoree

bearcoree

2 posts above yours, is that not a repro?

14. dan_soqqle

dan_soqqle

hey i was just chatting with Ruba in conversation. It seems that after reinstalling / clearing the library, the repo was working fine. And i just tried on my own machine.. i recently did some significant branch changes and was able to build. It's a bit weird. I will retry again

15. btsn

btsn

@dan_soqqle Is the process of reinstalling / clearing the library only deleting the entire Library folder?
    I tried that once and it didn't work for me, but I will try it again.

16. dan_soqqle

dan_soqqle

It seems to be occuring only after i do an addressables build. sent that to ruba to check

btsn and bearcoree like this.
  17. btsn

btsn

Came to post this. Having a script with an AssetReference field seems to be the problem.

dan_soqqle and bearcoree like this.
  18. btsn

btsn

@unityruba Sorry for the entitlement, but is there any update with this one?

seanalegra and bearcoree like this.
  19. bearcoree

bearcoree

I am getting this exact error in 2022.1.16f1

We are also using Addressables, so this error being in connection with Addressables would check out for us.

btsn likes this.
  20. unityruba

unityruba

Unity Technologies

Hi everyone. Sorry for the late reply, it's been a busy time :| Unfortunately I haven't been able to use @dan_soqqle 's project to repro the issue because there were a lot of non-related errors with missing prefabs, scenes, and packages. It takes a long time to get through them. At this point I either wait for QA to properly triage the bug in due time to get through the bugs or if someone has another simple project I can repro it with, I'll attach it to the bug and up its priority (or even fix it quickly, if the issue is what I think it is!)

bearcoree likes this.
  21. btsn

btsn

I have no idea how I've managed to be incredibly unhelpful. Very sorry about that.

The real cause of the issue seems to be having an audiomixer in a folder marked as addressible. (May just be an audiomixer marked as addressible, did not test both.)

How much of the project do you need? I am including the assets folder here that I have been able to reproduce with in a new project. If you need more, I'll be happy to provide.

What I did to reproduce it with this assets folder is
    1. Create new project
    2. Close project
    3. Delete old assets folder, replace with new one
    4. Reopen project
    5. Install addressables package
    6. Attempt to build for WebGL

Attached Files:

FerdowsurAsif and bearcoree like this.
  22. btsn

btsn

@unityruba Forgot to ping you in the previous post.

bearcoree likes this.
  23. unityruba

unityruba

Unity Technologies

Yay! Thank you, @btsn ! That repros perfectly!

I just tested my fix, it seems to work :eek: I'll run it by the team tomorrow and if it goes well, I'll have it merged as soon as possible.

DannyWebbie and bearcoree like this.
  24. btsn

btsn

@unityruba That was quick. Very nice and thanks for the fix.

bearcoree likes this.
  25. bearcoree

bearcoree

Oh my god you're such a legend! I've sat for 5 hours yesterday trying to repro, but I didn't think of this. Awesome job! And thanks so much for the fix @unityruba ! :)

26. fbuljan

fbuljan

Attached Files:

27. bearcoree

bearcoree

28. bearcoree

bearcoree

Did this fix make it into 2022.1.18?

29. unityruba

unityruba

Unity Technologies

No, but the PR is in review process now (already started, just waiting on one more review), and then it should be merged soon. I'll update this thread once it has.

JesseSTG and bearcoree like this.
  30. the_aia

the_aia

Following. I just started randomly getting this error

31. btsn

btsn

Update: Error still exists in 2022.1.19f1

32. btsn

btsn

Just tried building in 2022.1.20f1. Still getting the error.

33. bearcoree

bearcoree

Any way we can put some fire under that pull request? I've got over 3000 paying people on Patreon waiting for this :/
    If you think this will take longer, that'd also be fine to know, I'd figure something out to remove the audiomixer from addressables.

34. unityruba

unityruba

Unity Technologies

I've got all the approvals and backports ready. just waiting for it to get merged. I'll keep you updated.

bearcoree likes this.
  35. unityruba

unityruba

Unity Technologies

Sorry about the lack of updates, I was waiting until some of my fixes landed. This fix landed in trunk in 2023.1.0a17 and is currently being merged in 2022.1 (so should land today or tomorrow). 2022.2 is on the way. We've been upgrading our continuous integration and testing infrastructure so issues are still being ironed out. Sorry for the delay in this.

dan_soqqle, Redtail87 and bearcoree like this.
  36. unityruba

unityruba

Unity Technologies

The fix landed this morning in 2022.1.22f1 :). Please try it out and let me know if your issue is fixed.

dan_soqqle likes this.
  37. btsn

btsn

Do you mean 2022.1.21f1? I don't see *.22 anywhere, and *.21 is giving me errors (not relevant to webgl), even on a new project.

Code (CSharp):
    1. Library\PackageCache\com.unity.shadergraph@13.1.8\Editor\Generation\Targets\BuiltIn\Editor\ShaderGUI\BaseShaderGUI.cs(212,34): error CS0103: The name 'MaterialAccess' does not exist in the current context
    3. Library\PackageCache\com.unity.shadergraph@13.1.8\Editor\Generation\Targets\BuiltIn\Editor\ShaderGraph\Targets\BuiltInSubTarget.cs(33,28): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'BuiltInShaderGraphSaveContext' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

38. unityruba

unityruba

Unity Technologies

ah, no. It'll be in 2022.1.22f1. I guess I meant to try it once it's released. As for that error, hm. Did you try deleting your Library folder? I'll see if there's mention of it internally.

39. btsn

btsn

GamesbyJP likes this.
  40. unityruba

unityruba

Unity Technologies

@btsn is this happening in WebGL projects only?

41. btsn

btsn

No. It's irrelevant to webgl.

Those errors occur when just opening a new project. Not when compiling. I should have clarified that.
    I mentioned it because I thought you had a typo in your post and the version that fixed the issue in this thread was live. Under that assumption, I wanted to point out that I was unable to even test a webgl compilation since I couldn't get that far.

42. unityruba

unityruba

Unity Technologies

@btsn yep, this is a known issue. I've asked when the fix will land and will get back to you.

43. unityruba

unityruba

Unity Technologies

The audibility fix landed in these versions:
    2023.1.0a17
    2022.2.0b15
    2022.1.22f1

GamesbyJP and Redtail87 like this.
  44. GamesbyJP

GamesbyJP

I googled this error after encountering it on a new project and was redirected to this thread, great to see that it is actively being fixed.

As far as the fix goes, any idea on when 2022.1.22f1 will get released? The latest version I see in Unity Hub and the download archive is 2022.1.21f1.

Edit: just to clarify, the bug I'm talking about is the one @btsn encountered.

45. unityruba

unityruba

Unity Technologies

Its publishing date is November 9th.

46. JesseSTG

JesseSTG

The issue with the specific missing symbol identified by OP has been resolved. Thanks! Nope, back to the drawing board.

However, I now have a similar problem here.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2022
  47. EnduvoJD

EnduvoJD

I'm curious about the OP's original question. Is there a better way of identifying the source of these sorts of build errors?

48. unityruba

unityruba

Unity Technologies

a general approach if you see an undefined symbol error in your WebGL project is to first identify if that symbol is meant to come from your own (user) scripts/code, or from a package you're using. If you're using a method in a script but you forgot to add the jslib that defines it, then adding that library will fix the error. If it's a symbol you have never seen before and you can't find it in any of your own projects, it's probably then a bug from our side where we didn't define it and Unity expects it.