Search Unity

90 degrees turn of an object? c#

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Alex Cruba, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Alex Cruba

Alex Cruba

I just need to change the y axis, but

Code (csharp):
    1. transform.rotation.y = 90;
    doesn't work.

2. Jallen182

Jallen182

You can't access the individual rotations, they're read-only. There are a few different options for rotating a GameObject. One would be using Transform.Rotate, but the easiest way illustrate how to rotate a GameObject would be:

Code (csharp):
    1. // Sets the transform's eulerAngles (rotations represented as degrees) to the desired
    2. // rotation on the Y axis without changing the X or Z axes.
    3. float yRotation = 90.0f;
    4. transform.eulerAngles = new Vector3(transform.eulerAngles.x, yRotation, transform.eulerAngles.z);

ChonkyPixel and lexen1 like this.
  3. Jessy

Jessy

That's not true; why do you think it? It's just unlikely that you'll want to, often. I've only done it for 2D rotations.

Rotation is a quaternion. Setting its .y to 90 is meaningless; Unity won't even tolerate that value.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  4. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

This is the first thing I tried when I downloaded unity, to rotate stuff... and the whole time I thought the rotation was a Vector3, but yeah... it's a Quaternion... (even though I still have no idea what a Quaternion is, only smart ppl know the details)

as Jallen182 said use eulerAngles instead, (or localEulerAngles).

But some recommend using the Rotate() functions. This one time I wanted to do this quick flight simulator... and I've got this issue where my plane would get stuck on the Y axis when increasing eulerAngles manually. But using Rotate() function didn't give me this problem.

5. Alex Cruba

Alex Cruba

At last I got the solution without rotating the cube... My rotation command was wrong. It works like I planned it - like steering a car with hold down up arrow and (cars can't but owners would love it) left and right strafe when up arrow is not hold down. Thank you all...

6. Jallen182

Jallen182

Any time I try to modify one of the axes on rotation or position I get this error:

"Cannot modify the return value of 'UnityEngine.Transform.rotation' because it is not a variable"

This thread talks a lot about how position/rotation are used in Transform: 'Cannot modify .... because it is not a variable' in C#.

7. MikHaven

MikHaven

THANK you very MUCH Jallen,

We ask a question and people gives us bizarre answers, like
    rotation *= Quaternion.Euler(90, 0, 0)
    which rotates it relative to all the other angles, when humans just say I want to rotate it by a angle, which your code does perfectly. I guess the problem is when we asked for the rotation it is in bizarre numbers but we need to get the Angles. Which is dumb because setting the number in the inspector to 90 works, because its in Eulor, while we ask for the number we get it in another format.

The full code line I am using is:
    canvas.transform.eulerAngles =newVector3(90f, Camera.main.transform.eulerAngles.y, Camera.main.transform.eulerAngles.z);

I have farms on the ground and want to display text on them that rotates with my characters camera. So I need them to be on the ground level and not in the air like my trees.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  8. Jessy

Jessy

MikHaven, you should ask more out of yourself. Everything is "bizarre" until you understand it.

DoomDude99 and unity_1sp12cs067 like this.
  9. 00yoshi

00yoshi

Transform.eulerAngles.y = 90;

DoomDude99 likes this.
  10. KnightsHouseGames

KnightsHouseGames

I'm trying a solution like this for my game for my character, but I find that it can't be iterated. Once the EularAngle gets above 360 or below zero, the system freaks out and starts spinning out of control. When I try to reset it to zero when it goes above 360, it rotates back around the wrong way rather than just staying put. And then when I try rotating left, all hell breaks loose and it just rotates in any old direction

My game requires very precise, smooth rotation in 90 degree increments. How would I handle that?

Edit: Belay that, I found the answer. Quaternion.Eular saved the day.

I converted the system over to quaternions, but I used Quaternion.Eular in my actual calculation to save myself some trouble.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  11. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

psudo code because...

if rotation > 360, rotation -= 360;