Search Unity

9 Year old inspired dinosour shoot em up!

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Gibbonuk, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Gibbonuk

Gibbonuk

My 9 year old watches me work and develop my paragliding simulator (www.parafly-sim.co.uk) and is always asking if we can make a agame so last nite we gave it a start.

When asked he wanted to create a dinosour hunting game and this is a just a screenshot of how it looks so far.

Its all layed out by my son with the help and of my self and the gameplay is simple, yourun around finding dino's, then will run at you and attack you. Its not got any gore as im not keen on allowing it for my 9yr old (dont want to cause any arguments here!)

Now I know this is not AAA and nothing special, however, the reason for me posting was because I found it very interesting to let the imagination of my 9 year old develop into a game and also because apart from the £4 gun and hands, everything else was done in unity 5 free with free assets! It still amazes me how good unity is.

The progress so far is around 3 - 4 hours worth, and we have the dinos running around and attacking (to some degree!) :)

Thanks
    Andy

Attached Files:

2. richardh

richardh

Blimey! that looks bloody good for 3 -4 hours work. Well done to you and your son. Keep it up and show us more soon.

MakakWasTaken likes this.
  3. OboShape

OboShape

Nice one, good for the kids to let the imagination go wild, and keeps you on your toes too :)

keep it up!

4. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Yeah this is cool. Looks like you have a real good collaboration partner. I'm planning to create something with my son (age 7) also as soon as I can clear up some time. Though he really wants to have a game that is just like GTA but for kids. He's never played it, but what he describes is pretty much GTA - "a driving game with missions and races but you can get out of the car and run around and perform other missions"
    Would be an awesome project if I can figure out how to clone myself about 50-100 times.

By the way if anybody knows of a game like that suitable for children under 10 please let me know.

What is your sons next development milestone?

5. Gibbonuk

Gibbonuk

Thanks for the comments all.

This is exactly the same situation I am in. I myself dont play GTA (infact i don't have the time to play any games these days) but he knows what it is and watches youtube and i still dont allow him to go on it yet. But he always always asks if there is anything just like it but for their age range. My son basically loves racing, but more than anything he loves the whole "sandbox" gameplay of GTA, so he wants GTA but said hes not bothered about the gore, swearing, killing ETC.

So I do believe there is an open market there for a sandbox style game slimier to to GTA but aimed for younger ages. A lot say the lego city undercover is slimier but its only available on nintendo wii U and is maybe on the younger side of things (despite loving lego games). There just seems to be a missing gap for them.

Anyway, good luck with that! I cant find time to upkeep my paragliding simulator nevermind go ahead with that.

Not sure, continue on this untill he gets bored or thinks of new ideas! :)

Thanks
    Andy

6. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Totally agree. Something teen themed would be awesome - Might have to do some pondering on this. :)

7. DerekJR321

DerekJR321

Very impressive!