Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

3.3.0, Windows 7, installation ploblem

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Taugeshtu, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Taugeshtu

Taugeshtu

Situation normal: all faces up!

Hardware:
    Pre-historic.
    CPU: Intel Pentium 4 - 2.5 GHz;
    RAM: 1 Gb DDR-1;
    Graphics card: Ati X1950 Pro 512Mb;

Software:
    Unity 3.0.0.f5 installed successfully;
    Windows 7 32-bit;
    Unity 3.3.0 <- trying to install

Actions:
    Power on, system loaded. ALL killable process/services are killed via Task Manager. Run Unity 3.3.0 installer (downloaded from unity3d.com, sure). DOS-window blink with text in it:
    "Program too big to fit in memory".
    What? I mean, WHY 3.0 has enough memory for installation, and 3.3 hasn't?
    Is it that hard to write not so giant and hunger for memory unpacker in installer?

P.S.
    "Buy more RAM" is not an option.

2. dissidently

dissidently

Is XP an option?

3. Taugeshtu

Taugeshtu

No. :(

4. dissidently

dissidently

Doh!

I don't have a solution for you. Unless you can lighten the in memory load of win 7 by killing off every single unnecessary process while installing. But you prob tried that already.

5. Dreamora

Dreamora

1GB RAM would already for XP be by far to little to do 3D development, already for XP you better have 2GB. On anothing after its 3GB for 32Bit and 6GB on 64bit.
    Thus I would recommend you to get another 2GB, costs nothing anymore nowadays (I payd $190 for my last i7 voltage 6GB, 2GB should be in the sub $100 to even $sub $70 range depending on where you life given you find any for your stone age mainboard)

With 1GB you won't do any work anyway as 3D creation software is RAM hungry and with Win7 you at best have about 512mb left, thats a GB below the reasonable minimum to do anything (even if you could install unity, it would constantly crash due to out of memory situations or it will crash on building due to lack of RAM - webplayers will definitely not build for example). The last time 1GB were enough for the task were in the days of GeForce 1 / 2 on Win98 / ME

And I don't care if this is an option or not. Either you make it an option or you need to search for a hobby to which your totally underspeced 2002 machine (DDR1 RAM, 1GB of it) is up to like writing or painting within limits as harsh as it sounds.
    No idea who adviced you to install Win7, but it was the most stupid thing to do, as 1GB were constraining enough already for XP.
    U3 is for modern machines and it just won't work with your machine, no matter what dirty tricks you use to overcome the install limitations, it will crash upon you very regularly.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  6. Taugeshtu

Taugeshtu

Cheer me up - read this:
    http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=16514.new#new
    Almost everything was done on this stone-age machine. Yep, I'm familiar with creating 3d content on low-end machine, I don't need advices "you're doing it wrong"-kind, ok?
    Unfortinately, I've got no access to my main computer right now - some sort of isolation(((

Win 7 was choosen for faster UI-flow - I feel more comfortable in it's UI, than in XP's one.

SURPRIZE! It wont. I know what I'm talking about.

7. Dreamora

Dreamora

I fully understand the "more comfortable" aspect, thats why I had Vista 64, for the higher productivity.

Its interesting its running, though after seing the screenshots its clear how you are able to remain within the memory border (very, very limited use of texture but still looking very stylized, congrats).
    Didn't expect that but spoke from the experience that the last time my Unity ran on less than 1-1.5GB constant RAM usage was when I created a new empty project, even relatively simple games go to the 1GB+ border at latest at play mode. None the less I would stand by what I said that for reasonable working, at least 1 more GB should go in there and with it sitting on DDR1, you potentially get them even for free if you ask for scrap parts of recycle notebooks (thats the primary place where this RAM is to find)

As for why the installer fails: chances are that UT for the sake of smaller download raised the compression level (I've read complaints in various places over the raise of installer size in the U3 releases) thats used on the installer, as such the installer itself will require more to much more RAM to even decompress the data. With technologies like InnoSetup that even offer LZMA and LZMA2, such a 600mb thing would require about that much to decompress again and worse depending on the settings, which with 1GB of RAM is near impossible to pull of on Win7.

Best option I could give you is: find out what patching technology it uses so you can find out if the tech itself offers command line options just to decompress the package without installing. Cause if you find such, you can start your windows in safe mode, do the decompress there where you commonly run on "as much RAM as you can get" (installers will normally fail if they are Microsoft installer based, if they use something else, you might be lucky to be able to just use it there) and then install it in normal mode windows.

Alternative is that you install it on some other machine and then transfer the U3 and monodevelop folders, that works without a problem too, if you had the previous version registered even without reregistration.

Question is, is there anything in 3.3 that you need?
    As far as I've seen it looks like a desktop project, not an android one, so the highest that you would really need is 3.2 to get the performance gains. (ok another reason for 3.3 could be some asset store projects, there the question though would be which one)

8. vortex69

vortex69

Are you sure the installer isn't corrupted?
    Just tested it on a Virtual Machine using XP and 512MB of ram, worked fine. I even tried with 256MB and it still worked. Sure, XP is not 7, but the difference in the amount of RAM should take care of that. If it extracts with 256MB on XP, it should extract fine with 1GB anywhere else.

*edit*
    Went even further, 128MB ram, windows XP, setup ran fine, sure it was using the page file constantly, but it worked.
    So...check if the installer is not corrupted. It's not even supposed to pop-up a command line window to warn you of anything as far as I know.
    The MD5 Hash of Unity 3.3 setup file is 6FDB49C0BB1B35D48032179AB098C467

9. niosop2

niosop2

Minimum RAM requirements for XP: 128MB
    Minimum RAM requirements for 32-bit Windows 7: 1GB

Of course these are marketing numbers, so you could possibly get away with less, but you can see that Windows 7 has a much larger footprint than XP.

10. Taugeshtu

Taugeshtu

Yes. But I'll check one more time, maybe my eyes was bleeding :D
    Do you need proof screenshot, or my word is powerful enought?)
    I ran it also with additional command line flag (don't remember, which one) to not to kill command line window as soon as it was shown, and it says clear:
    "Program too big to fit in memory"

P.S.
    I understand it too, but right now I've got no access to my W7 64-bit-powered 4core x 4Gb monster... Damn isolation...

Hey, this is not the question "who killed who", I just want
    ASK UT GUYS
    Have you got non-packed installer? Can I borrow it?)

11. jonbonazza

jonbonazza

Better do it soon.. With the Havoc in Japan, where a majority (Like 70% or something) of Ram is manufactured, prices are bound to skyrocket.

12. niosop2

niosop2

I doubt it would affect too much, do they even make DDR1 anymore? Probably easiest to go down to any IT department and ask if they have any lying around that they were planning on throwing away anyways.

13. reissgrant

reissgrant

How big is your paging file? This might solve the problem.

14. Taugeshtu

Taugeshtu

It didn't solve the problem. Was increased up to 4 Gb - useless. :(

15. Dreamora

Dreamora

that all sounds very fishy ...
    the drive where the temp is on is big enough to hold the 700mb of data? (I guess as you likely have the page there too but there might always be an exception so better to verify)

16. Taugeshtu

Taugeshtu

10 Gb free...
    I'm about to give up with it.

17. rokstar234

rokstar234

i have windows 7, 2GB ram , 3.0 GHz dual; core and a Nvidia Ge force7025 and i can run, Firefox, gimp, blender , visual studio and Unity simultaneously with no prob. i suggest to get a upgrade, according to the guy above i still need a upgrade. any way to the point, my friend had a dell with the same problem,( i told him how crap they are he said he would get it fixed) he ended up throwing it out. your PC, is acting strange , i also had a compact that had a weird ram problem, i put 2Gb of ram in it put the PC would only recognize and use only 144mb of it. i couldn't fix it, so it ended up with my friends dell. i suggest you check your PC for how much ram your PC is actually recognizing. hope it helps