Search Unity

►► Arcade Racer: Racing Game Development Kit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Stephen_O, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Hi,

Currently you can re-position the steering wheel to any position in the car, however only the right hand is able to shift. I have plans to add support left hand shifting once I'm finished with the 1.07 update for the Racing Game Template.

2. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

Hi, below in the quote, I have told that I have succesfully added your IK driver to my own car with my own car controller, and it works correctly and well and as expected, BUT now I have seen that this is with KEYBOARD controlled only, because when I tested it with mobile on ipad it does not work, nothing happens, it keeps hands down and still

The problem maybe is that the controls I have on Project Settings --> Input are custom ones and not the ones of Unity

For Keyboard controls I use the default Unity input values of Horizontal and Vertical, but for mobile touch buttons I use "Left", "Right" and "Acceleration" for going forward

I have activated the mobile checkbox also. I am using Unity 5.5.2

here below is a screenshot showing what I tried. If I change the Steering Axis to Horizontal and Throttle to Vertical it works perfectly but only with keyboard.

Please can you be so kind to help, thanks very much

Attached Files:

3. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Hi, sorry you are experiencing difficulties with mobile controls. The mobile checkbox was designed for the built in mobile controller, it sounds like I might need to make an adjustment to work with your custom mobile input.

Is it possible for you to send me a broken down scene/project with only the vehicle controller and your input settings? I can use this to debug the controller and compare it to your input settings to see how the input would need to be setup for your case.

What I can say is that the default input used is based on an axis going from -1 to 1. If you have left and right broken up, you may not be using an axis that falls into this range, which could result in input not being in the correct format to power the driver. I can likely make an alternate option for your input settings.

SpaceRay likes this.
  4. serginhoooo71

serginhoooo71

hi, just i purchased. just i run on my mobile (IOS/ANDROID) both, it is not working normal for car controller system i mean they looking big and just rotate ui showing how can i change position of the mobile controler ui

5. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Hi there, thanks for the purchase and feedback. I'll work to create an alternate canvas that is more appropriate for mobile. The current UI is built for a 1920x1080 resolution.

To fix this you would want to add the 3 UI prefabs to your scene, reconfigure them for your target resolution and update the prefabs with the new settings.

IK Driver UI Canvas settings.jpg

If you have any trouble with this, feel free to email me and I'll get that all setup tonight and send you an update you can import into your project.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  6. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I had a few questions about the steering wheel being able to rotate past 90°.

The IK Driver can also use '8 hand targets' for steering as opposed to the default '2 hand targets', these points can be moved and rotated to help create the effect of the driver turning the steering wheel and moving his hands to new locations based on the steering wheels rotation. This allows for the steering wheel to be rotated past 90 degrees without the arms crossing or being able to position the points to achieve a desired effect. You can set the max rotation of the steering wheel, in the demo I provide below I used 155 degrees of rotation.

I have plans to do more testing and improve the hand targets in the near future, the reference video above is fairly old.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  7. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

IK Driver 1.06 update is now in progress.

The first new feature being added for 1.06 is support for the avatar driving on the left/right side (new demo vehicle includes 2 dashboard options with steering wheel and pedals on opposite sides).

Any additional feature requests are welcome and will be considered.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  8. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

looks cool but you need to smoothen the shift hand speed. It almost dissapears from Wheel to get into gear. if this is following like an ik target lerp it a bit. Expose a travel time in inspector or so.

9. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Thanks, there's a shift animation speed variable that's used for this, I lowered the value to produce more accurate results.

10. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Final demo video for v1.06. I'll post the full change log after submission is complete; asset update should be submitted before end of day today.

11. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Version 1.06 submitted

• New - Replaced the previous vehicle model with a high quality/detailed vehicle model
    • New - Night demo scene
    • New - World space dashboard UI
    • New - Added support for driver on left or right side of car; new vehicle model has interchangeable dashboards; 2 vehicle prefabs are configured, one for each style.
    • New - Added camera switch toggle script, used to enable/disable objects and components based on camera state, set engine/shift volume level based on camera state.
    • New - Added vehicle head lights scripts, can be used to toggle lights on/off, example implementation can detect day flag on demo controller and set the lights based on the setting.
    • New - Added post processing stack profile in support package (profile used in video demo).

• Improved driver model skinning, fixes a bug where the arms would not blend properly when steering, this was only visible when viewing the model from 3rd person perspective.
    • Improved demo content scale to match real world scale.
    • Improved default vehicle physics settings.
    • Improved shift animation timing to smooth out shifting.

12. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Version 1.06 is now available!

13. Barritico

Barritico

Newly bought and installed, impossible to follow the tutorial to change the vehicle.

There is no IK DRIVER DEMO in the IK DRIVER folder. I can not follow the tutorial.

Thanks!!!

Attached Files:

Stephen_O likes this.
  14. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Hello,

I had recently updated the package and moved the demo locations. There are now 2 example scenes (day/night), located at:

Assets\TurnTheGameOn\IK Driver\Scenes\IK Driver Day Demo
    Assets\TurnTheGameOn\IK Driver\Scenes\IK Driver Night Demo

Let me know if you run into any other issues, the vehicle model has also changed, but the components used in the IK Driver vehicle prefab are all still the same. I'll be updating the videos to match the new model very soon.

Attached Files:

15. Barritico

Barritico

Thank you for your fast answer. I'll wait for those videos. The demos DAY and NIGHT yes they are ... but I do not understand it too much. I wait impatiently.

Thank you.

Stephen_O likes this.
  16. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I'll make a point to get them done over this weekend, they will likely will be made tonight or tomorrow since I know you're going to wait for them. I'll post here when they are completed.

17. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

18. Barritico

Barritico

Wow! Try and report ASAP.
    Thanks a lot!

Stephen_O likes this.
  19. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

You're welcome!

I'll update the avatar video next, but that process is almost identical so it should work no problem.

A new version was also just released which has a bug fix when using the prefab without the demo controller; you may encounter this error when following the demo: Be sure to update to IK Driver 1.06.1.

20. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

21. KillerNads

KillerNads

Hey this seems like a great asset.

The game im developing has a short requirement for the player to drive from one location to the next. So not really a racing game, its a survival horror game for Desktop VR with hand motion controllers such as HTC Vive.

I just wanted to know, would this car system work for my requirement? or would it be overkill and probably not required?

thanks

Stephen_O likes this.
  22. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Hello,

Thanks for your interest. IK Driver is designed to help in situations like yours, specifically to help bring the vehicle to life and compliment the input received by the player with a moving avatar. In my opinion this helps make the player feel a bit more engaged. I have not worked much with VR myself, but know that some others have used it in their VR projects.

Here's a clip of another users's VR project using an older version of the system that's included with the racing game template:

The vehicle system can be a quick drag and drop solution that also includes the configured animated avatar.

I would not really think of considering an animated avatar as overkill or not, but instead I would try to consider the benefits of using one over not using one and see which makes more sense for your project.

KillerNads likes this.
  23. KillerNads

KillerNads

okay thanks, the reason as to why im confused (being quite new to unity) is mostly because my inputs etc differ quite a bit from the VR demo in the video. Instead of a wheel, the player already has two hands that track with one to one movement, i dont think i really need an avatar to add to the car either, as the players hands are floating hands along with a floating camera head. There will be no requirement for avatar animations thanks to this, the hands animate themselves along with the motion controller, if that makes sense. I plan on using VRTK system to add grab mechanics to the car wheel, so that is not an issue either. and if for some reason i do add a character avatar to the VR player then i already have FinalIK which im sure can do all that avatar stuff.

I guess the actual thing i need is the car mechanics, now i know unity provides us with simple car mechanics already in its demo scenes. But thats what im confused about as i have not yet used it. So does this asset add many additional features on top of the basic unity car mechanics? or im wondering if its pretty much the same and if i can get by by just using the unity car system?

thanks

24. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

You can use Final Ik and any car controller to do what you describe. I personally have not used final IK, so I can't speak too much about that, although I'm sure I'll try it at some point since the product looks very robust.

I would say the main difference is that the IK Driver avatar is already configured to fully work with all the included animations triggered procedurally based on vehicle input (you would have to build/configure that yourself with final IK, that is if you wanted your avatar to do all the same things IK Driver does).

As far as inputs go, my system really only requires horizontal/vertical axes input, these are common inputs used for driving/steering vehicles, though developers my create different inputs for their controllers. If the vehicle controller you're using does not use the horizontal/vertical input axes the IK Driver script can be edited to use the values you use instead. I can help convert inputs if necessary, but you would have to provide me with a sample input to test.

I would recommend trying the unity vehicle controller (or any other) and Final IK first since it sounds like you have access to both, especially as a new Unity Dev (any experience is good experience) to see how far you get, if you enjoy working with what you have and if you can reach your goal using those tools. Once you do that you'll view the IK Driver tutorial videos and compare the potential results of what you have vs what IK Driver can offer.

I don't have a full list of differences off-hand, but I don't think the unity controller includes an option for manual/automatic transmission or a nitro system.

KillerNads likes this.
  25. byteblorg

byteblorg

nice asset. i'm interested!
    Question:
    1)does your acceleration read vertical positive axis and brake read vertical negative?
    2)will i be able to simplify the gearing to Forward,Neutral,Reverse?

Stephen_O likes this.
  26. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Hi and thanks!

1. Yes acceleration uses vertical positive and brake uses vertical negative. There's also a field to assign a different named axis in the inspector..

2. Currently, there are only 2 options for controlling the gears/transmission: auto or full manual. If you purchase and would like this feature added, send me an email with your invoice number and I'll forward you an update then post it to the store version too. It's a good idea to have a simple transmission type too!

27. nikorenos

nikorenos

Stephen_O likes this.
  28. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I'm sure it's very possible, I can create an integration for RCC. I haven't looked into it yet, but I'll add it to the top of my priority list. Should be started in the next day or so and not take very long. I'll post here when it's ready.

In short you should be able to move the avatar prefab to the RCC controller prefab and sync the inputs. I don't know which inputs RCC uses off-hand so I don't know if it'll work out of the box.

When I finish I'll have a PDF and video tutorial prepared for using the avatar with RCC.

29. nikorenos

nikorenos

Okay, that would be great, because this is essential for my project :) Could you maybe estimate how long it will last? Should I try to do it myself or is it possible you'll implement it within a few days?

Stephen_O likes this.
  30. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I've started the test and made a few small adjustments to get it working properly, it almost works out of box.

I want to do some final testing and make a prefab for the avatar so you don't need to work with the vehicle controller at all. This should only take a few hours once I can start on it, which will likely happen tonight. Then I'll write up the pdf and make a video and submit the update.

If you like you can email me your invoice number. When I finish I'll forward you an asset update that you can import into your project so you can start with the prefab that'll be pretty much drag-drop.

31. nikorenos

nikorenos

Okay great, could you give me your email address?

32. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

33. Autonoma

Autonoma

This would be really useful for the game I'm working on as well.. Couple questions (sorry if they've already been answered):

- Is source included? I have a custom car controller and will need to integrate it.
    - Can this handle the wheel going 360*? In the demos the wheel always seems to stop ~90*. If this can't do a full rotation and have the avatars hands look right, is that something you'd consider adding?

Thanks,
    Zach

Stephen_O likes this.
  34. nikorenos

nikorenos

Thanks, I've sent email. Would be possible to integrate tachometer as well?

Stephen_O likes this.
  35. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

1. Yes, full source is included. You can also feel free to contact me for gudiance if needed.

2. Yes, although I still need to test it more/improve the config, mostly I need to adjust the default IK target potsitions/rotations. The IK Driver can also use '8 hand targets' for steering as opposed to the default '2 hand targets', these points can be moved and rotated to help create the effect of the driver turning the steering wheel and moving his hands to new locations based on the steering wheels rotation. This allows for the steering wheel to be rotated past 90 degrees without the arms crossing or being able to position the points to achieve a desired effect. You can set the max rotation of the steering wheel, in the demo I provide below I used 155 degrees of rotation.

Here's an old video showing the driver use 8 targets.

36. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Thanks, I replied to your e-mail.

I'll work on adding a tachometer soon, I know this feature has been requested by a few others as well.

37. nikorenos

nikorenos

Okay, thank you very much, I've replied email :)

Stephen_O likes this.
  38. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

IK Driver 1.06.3 is now available, main change was adding official support for Realistic Car Controller with the IK Driver Avatar Rig prefab. Documentation is available here.

• Added IK Driver Avatar Rig prefab, use the modular avatar with other vehicle controllers.
    • Added inspector field to the avatar IK Driver script for UI Gear Text Name Lookup.
    • Added PDF guide for IK Driver Avatar and Realistic Car Controller integration
    • Updated ReadMe

39. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

IK Driver and Realistic Car Controller video integration

nikorenos and SirTwistedStorm like this.
  40. Deleted User

Deleted User

Can I use my Xbox ONE controller for acceleration and braking using the left and right triggers?

Stephen_O likes this.
  41. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

You should be able to configure that without too much issue by editing the InputManager accessible from the Unity Menu Bar > Edit > Project Settings > Input. You would need to add the left and right controller trigger input assignments to the vertical axis settings.

I found this in a quick google search for xbox one controller

It looks like the left trigger is 'joystick button 4' and the right is 'joystick button 5', that's the text you would use in the input manager fields.

Here's another link with some more examples.

I also attached a sample of the IK Driver Vehicle Controller input settings, you would want to adjust these since nitro uses joystick button 4 and look back camera uses joystick button 5 by default.

Attached Files:

42. nikorenos

nikorenos

Hello, is there any progress with tachometer integrating?

Stephen_O likes this.
  43. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Hi, the tachometer will be added in v1.07.

I'm currently working on a big update/re-write of the Racing Game Template asset 'I'll call it RGT v2.0 for now'. IK Driver will be the base vehicle controller included moving forward with the re-write of RGT. Before RGT v2.0 is finalized and released, IK Driver will receive some significant updates, including the tachometer and finalizing the AI implementation of the controller. I'm currently planning to have IK Driver v1.07 released before the end of the year.

44. nikorenos

nikorenos

Great news, thank you :)

45. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

IK Driver is 30% off for mega sale!

nikorenos likes this.
  46. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Here's a sneak peak at the new forward AI sensor system for IK Driver 1.07, these should allow for greater accuracy when performing obstacle detection since they are volume based compared to a line-raycast sensor.

47. obstudio

obstudio

Hi, have you tried to integrate IK Driver with EVP ?

Stephen_O likes this.
  48. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I've done some integration with EVP using the racing game template, which uses an older, slightly different version of the asset; I'm working toward the racing template using the exact same IK Driver system.

I did not demo much of it in the video, but it does work, you can catch a glimpse in the video below at using the driver helmet camera 5:48 and you might see the avatar animate a bit from the vehicle chase cam as the car drivers/steers.

I'll do an official integration, tutorial and documentation after 1.07 releases.

49. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I've adjusted the upgrade price for IK Driver to Racing Game Template to match the mega sale prices. If you own IK Driver you can upgrade to Racing Game Template for $9 until the mega sale is over!

50. nikorenos

nikorenos

Any news about ver 1.07? :)

Stephen_O likes this.