Search Unity

60sq km terrain into Unity, can anyone help me with this process?

Discussion in 'World Building' started by Apposl, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Apposl

Apposl

I am trying to accurately model in Unity a real world terrain that's about 60 square kilometers. I have a height map via terrain.party that came out as a 1081x1081 png. I've changed PNGs to RAW and imported into Unity before, but not at this scale, and I know Unity terrain can't handle that large all at once.

So my question really is if I have this process right, or if I should be doing something else - do I splice up the heightmap png into smaller chunks (1,2,3,4) and then put those chunks individually into Unity terrain and then find a terrain stitcher/streamer to handle all those individual chunks (tiles?)?

And also if so - how do I know how many chunks to break the heightmap png into? And what values do I match between those chunks and Unity's terrain so that they're scaled correctly?

I have no problem buying assets, I'm not trying to build Skyrim or anything here, I just do need a large-scaled to-scale real world spot in Unity and I'm unsure the right way to proceed in breaking up a heightmap and making values match heightmap to terrain, or if I should be looking at another approach entirely. Any help so appreciated, thank you.

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

I would definitely break that into chunks, maybe 1 km each. Just make the Unity terrain chunks the correct size (e.g. 1 km square) and you should be all set.

3. Apposl

Apposl

I really appreciate your reply, lets me know I'm on the right track with the process and the terminology. I'm still left wondering one thing - do I split up the heightmap image I have, and put those smaller chunks individually in as terrains, or do I somehow load in that whole heightmap to Unity terrain and split from in there?

4. wyattt_

wyattt_

Unity Technologies

You should be able to do this soon. We are going to release a Terrain Tools package on Package Manager with this functionality

Rowlan and Apposl like this.
  5. Apposl

Apposl

Thank you so much for the reply! That's exciting. :)