Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

600+ bug fixes in 2020.1b? What about 2019.4 LTS?

Discussion in '2020.1 Beta' started by dgoyette, Mar 19, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dgoyette

dgoyette

I've just looked over the patch notes for 2020.1.0b2: https://unity3d.com/unity/beta/2020.1.0b2

The section titled "Preview of Final 2020.1.0b2 Release Notes" contains literally more than 600 distinct bug fixes, none of which are marked with the "This has already been backported to older releases and will not be mentioned in final notes." language indicating that the fix is being backported. With as much concern as people have generally had over the stability of 2019.3, is it really the case that over 600 bug fixes were pushed to 2020.1, rather than being fixed for 2019.4 LTS? Or is this just an inaccuracy in the beta patch notes? Could these 600 bug fixes really all depend on new engine changes in 2020.1, preventing them from being back ported?

This has me concerned. Like several others, I'll be sticking with 2019.3/4 LTS for the foreseeable future, and it's frustrating to see so much bug fix activity passing this release by. Hopefully I'm wrong about that.

2. JoNax97

JoNax97

Eh, if it says "This has already been backported to older releases and will not be mentioned in final notes" it means you won't find it in the preview of final notes. I don't disagree with you but remember that you're not counting how many are being backported.

3. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

There's no need to worry. If you actually encounter a bug in 2019.3 / .4 LTS, just report it and Unity will deal with it. Worrying about random fixes that may not even apply to 2019 cycle is just unnecessary.

hippocoder, elcionap and JesOb like this.
  4. dgoyette

dgoyette

The patch notes contain a section called "New 2020.1.0b2 Entries since 2020.1.0b1". It's very common within that section to see entries flagged with "This has already been backported to older releases and will not be mentioned in final notes." However, the section I'm talking about is "Preview of Final 2020.1.0b2 Release Notes", which lists over 600 bug fixes, none of which are labeled as being backported. So I conclude that these are 600 bug fixes that haven't been backported.

If a bug fix resolves an issue that was only present in an earlier 2020.1 alpha/beta release, then it gets flagged with "This is a change to a 2020.1.0a/bX change, not seen in any released version, and will not be mentioned in final notes." Given that none of the 600 bug fixes I've mentioned are flagged in that way, this indicates that they are all relevant to earlier versions of Unity, at least 2019.3.

I've just opened the issue links for about 50 of the issues of the 600 listed there, and nearly all of them indicate that 1) The issue affects versions like 2019.3 and older, and 2) The issue has been fixed only on 2020.1, with no other version listed as being fixed. So I'm worried that that patch notes imply that a huge amount of bug fixing has gone into 2020.1, but isn't being backported. This causes concern in general for the stability of the 2019.3/4 branch.

Maybe someone from Unity can reassure me as to whether these bugs are going to be backported to 2019.3/4? If not, is there a general reason why so much bug fixing is being done only on a beta version? Are all these bugs really dependent on new engine functionality only available in 2020.1?

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Thread is locked, please restrict alpha and beta posting to the relevant build. As stated by users above, if you do find a bug, post a bug report.

Don't police this, please. Instead file a report if something actually affects you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.