Search Unity

60 fps to 30 fps makes movements jittery on mobile device

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gokcan, Sep 2, 2021.

1. Gokcan

Gokcan

Hey guys,I have a very basic question.
    I have an empty scene and a simple cube in front of the camera. I apply a very basic animation to the cube so that it moves from 0 to 1 and it is seen clearly in front of the camera. When i build it and play at 60 fps, the movement of the cube is perfectly smooth. However, when i play it at 30 fps, the movement of the cube is prominently jittery(i mean not smooth)
    However, i know lots of games which has very smooth movements at 30 fps. Additionally, i watch lots of mobile game benchmarks which also run at 30 fps and still gives very smooth experiences.
    Can someone simply explain what i am doing wrong?

2. Arowx

Arowx

What's your Basic Animation? a script or Animation and what are the speed/timing elements of the animation?

If it's a Animation it should in theory just move the object between the points based on real time. If it's a script it should also adjust the distance moved by the delta time. e.g. transform.postition += move * speed * deltatime.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  3. Gokcan

Gokcan

Hey, i dont have any script in the scene, only an animation controlling the position as i said. On the other hand, scene is unitys default scene, camera background is default solid color. Additionally, build settings are unitys default settings.

4. Arowx

Arowx

If your using an Animation there should be an a Animation clip and this will have a frameRate setting, what is it?

5. bluescrn

bluescrn

Faster movements, especially camera movements, really show up the inherent judder of 30fps. 2D movement/scrolling looks particularly bad at lower frame rates, while into-the-screen motion doesn't look so bad.

It's also possible that bad frame pacing or lack of vsync can make one 30fps game look worse than another, though. Have you tried setting QualitySettings.vSyncCount rather than Application.targetFrameRate?