Search Unity

5v5 online top-down hero-shooter called HoverGrease

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by altergaze, Jun 11, 2019.

1. altergaze

altergaze

About a year ago myself and my co-founder set up to make a small indie game (just the 2 of us). We didn't know much about online multiplayer game development, but after months of sleepless nights things started to take shape. Today, we are super proud to share the first look of what we are making, as a game-play overview video narrated by my co-developer.

First reaction feedback would be greatly appreciated!

2. Riko07

Riko07

Man, this art style is weirdly interesting, the colors and the proportions, i'm not a guy who likes multiplayer, but the gameplay seems fun, just fast and responsive as it should be

altergaze likes this.
  3. yaraco

yaraco

Looks great! As an indie dev who is trying to make a multiplayer game aswell, I'm interested about any feedback about the network stack. Which network library did you choose? Unet?

altergaze likes this.
  4. altergaze

altergaze

Thanks, we are considering some short single player campaign.
    However, the fast pace is what makes it fun in multiplayer. We were going for a mixture of Quake-CounterStrike-Overwatch.

Tried a lot of them. I used Unet in the past, but because there was this entire "unity is shutting down unet" thing happening when we started, we just stayed away from Unet.

Initially we tested PUN, moved to Bolt, then back to PUN. We did have a go at Mirror too (Unet opensource), but on UDP. Problem was the devs of mirror love TCP (which in my opinion is garbage if you want super fast game play), so dropped Mirror for lack of support, but we might pick it back up later in the development.

Eventually, I fear we will have to move to a more dedicated server-client structure, but for now Photon PUN has been good for us (for the realtime networking interaction part).

There is of course another layer for user database and matchmaking which I shouldn't talk about it (for security). This will probably have another layer in front of it driven by the stores / launcher, to interact with the user buying system (Steam, Gog, Xbox store, PlayStation, etc) — or at least that is what we are looking at now... plans change, lol.