Search Unity

$500 Mapping Contest! Sci-Fi/Horror Theme

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by yahodahan, Feb 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jesus

Jesus

Massive changes: No more Site 19, that's now a CS:GO map. New map/game is another sci-fi action/horror game. 2v2 multiplayer, noise and environment will be massively important, there's lots of metals to work with. Basically, all teams get a limited number of small explosive charges. Obvious targets are the windows, and when broken they do exactly what you'd expect. All doors to a room seal if it is breached, and there's a 15 second cooldown until the room is fixed and opens again.

This is the reactor room, sort of like the central hub for the level. The pillars either side and the reactor down the middle are there to slightly obscure vision of some doorways to several others so there's less twitch-camping.

$reactor_room.png

Going to change the door at the opposite end of the reactor for a square one, and the doors on the left and right lead to corridors above (and to the left to more rooms) and below (and to the right, to storage rooms and underneath the reactor).

EDIT: FreakforFreedom, I know your pain. Or rather, my friend does :eek:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  2. Tarkriel

Tarkriel

I'm like in the same position of Axtel_Sturnclaw, I will not be able to further participate in the contest because of some stuff that need to be done at my job.
    I will for sure watch and follow this contest, and hope to maybe participate in a future ProBuilder contest.

3. yahodahan

yahodahan

Sorry to hear that from both you guys, we'll definitely have more of these contests in the future though! Do you mind if I still use your images on the website?

Neat! Are those "hibernation" tanks, or something like that? I especially like the light above each tank, and the glowing blue line of lights down the center. Maybe just a bit more light in the scene would help bring out the details.

Looks very cool, keep it up! Perhaps a bit too much bloom/lens flares ;) but I think we are all guilty of that at some point... Excited to see how this all comes together, I really liked your full-map layout!

Light is good indeed, liking it better already! :)

Love it! Totally digging the architecture, details, lighting, and the glowing green thingy to add "story" to the scene!

4. yahodahan

yahodahan

WIP Prize- I haven't forgotten! I just have a HUGE amount of work getting ready for GDC (plane leaves in...6 hours), and not even packed yet. Ahh! :)

Please forgive the delay!

5. Axtel_Sturnclaw

Axtel_Sturnclaw

No, I definitely do not mind, in fact, if anybody wants to, they can use my tunnel design...

I am looking forward to the finish of this contest, and loving all the images...

6. Ebkac

Ebkac

$battleship-wip05.png Working on lighting. I have a ton to learn as I've yet to ever do any lighting in Unity. I just put a big fat directional light and call it a day. That soft glow effect some of you have is cool. Also the lines of light, almost like the light is coming from the shape itself is great too. If anyone has any tips on how they achieve those or lighting tips in general, I'd appreciate it.

7. JorgeLuis

JorgeLuis

Yeah haha I think I got emocionated with the effects haha I will fix it to look neat and beautiful :)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  8. AlexM_Infinite

AlexM_Infinite

heh any delays are welcome. I've been having to go to work and then night school so I've been trying to wake up early to do this before work. Any extra time is appreciated :)

EDIT: Got a little more done on the lighting and pipework tonight. I really should go to bed _._

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  9. skullptor

skullptor

10. johny

johny

I started a new scene because my unity pro trail ran out and didn't want to mess around with light-maps, last time it took me 4.5 hours to get something I was really happy with.

I figured because you only wanted screenshots you wouldn't mind if I entered more from other scenes.

This scene is heavily based on the last of us. I was interested in the bright environments and how they still managed to convey a very creepy and atmospheric theme. So far I only have a basic grey box down and the basic prop set up I want. I am using the battle bus from the latest unity stealth project as a centre piece and using pro-builder to make some lovely looking semi-destroyed buildings around the outside. After the basic look is done I will add some overgrowth and plant life to the buildings,

I worked on it for an hour and came up with this.

You can see the basic design and the highway in the background. Still working on basic lighting and trying to find a good mix of fog and ambient light. Hopefully if I work on it tomorrow on my day off then I will get it too look nice.

11. Z43D

Z43D

Hey all,

I haven't had as much time to work on this as I would have liked. Here's a quick WIP screen. The atmosphere/color scheme was influenced heavily by Prometheus. I'm glad the deadline has been pushed back a little... I should have more to show by the end of the weekend if all goes well.

PS: Everything is done using ProBuilder. Like I said in my earlier posts, I don't plan on using ANY detail meshes. Hopefully that won't be to my detriment.

$ZDProBuilderContest 1920x909 Friday Mar 29 2013 01_29_20.jpg

12. johny

johny

I spent some time on lighting today on my laptop which has a unity pro trail (for dem easy shadows) and decided to go with a morning/dusk look with orange hues. Its almost entirely ambient light doing it. Also using fog in this screenshot.

Spent most of the day doing building interiors which I realized you wont see in a screenshot. So hopefully more tomorrow.

This was taken from the desktop so no shadows.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/53037760/street.png

ps: I am currently creating some sci-fi props using pro builder. They are rather small so pro-grids is coming in handy for that.
    I am thinking they are going to be small things like electronic billboards possibly covered in blood (FOR DAT HORROR YO).

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  13. Greg-Sergeant

Greg-Sergeant

Zedalis - that looks fantastic

14. FreakForFreedom

FreakForFreedom

Wow, there are some quite impressive projects here. Nice competition! :)

15. Jesus

Jesus

Alright, getting some corridors done. Slight changes to the reactor room front/back walls, set up the catwalk and maintenance walkway, made storage room and access corridors, put more obstacles and airlocks beneath the reactor, made a bunch more walls/pillars slightly angled to make players feel a bit uneasy.

$space.png

Probuilder stairs again come in handy, there's only a few rooms on the same level; a slight change in elevation and even small stairs make the level feel bigger than it really is.

16. SevenBits

SevenBits

That looks absolutely fantastic!

17. JorgeLuis

JorgeLuis

Hi , i think everybody is on vacations jaja cause I haven't seen any WIP images in the last days, I wanted to show you a WIP image of the entrance of my machinery room, I hope later to show you the same scene but neat and with a perfect illumination :) bye! $Sin nombre.png

18. JorgeLuis

JorgeLuis

And here it is :D! hope u like it :) $Sin nombsre.png

This is the link for a larger view ;)
    http://i.imgur.com/VNjhQMa.jpg

And also I wanted to give you an idea of the size of all my project:

$Sin nombssre.jpg

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  19. yahodahan

yahodahan

So much awesome stuff here! Keep at it, I'll be back from the West Coast late on the 4th!

20. Z43D

Z43D

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the feedback thus far. Here's another quick update. Experimenting with the texture pack from GameTextures.com a bit. Still a lot of modeling work to do. I'm planning to add a couple effects as well to help sell the mood. Hope you like!

$ZDProBuilderContest 1920x909 Friday Apr 05 2013 02_42_44.jpg

21. Tarkriel

Tarkriel

Sure you can use it, I have no problem with that.

22. yahodahan

yahodahan

Very, very cool! Props for not using, erm, props ;)

Cool, looking forward to those interior shots- most of this is detail meshes, I think?

Only 4 days left, I'm seriously excited to see more of this! Great visual and structural detail + architecture :)

Love the overhead size-of-all image, super cool!

Wow, that is beautiful architecture, lighting, and detail. Keep at it man!

Thanks!

23. Metakid

Metakid

Well I've finally got stuck into this proper and intend to keep at it until Wednesday. Working on capturing some of the architecture and mood of Giger's work on the Derelict, specifially the famous corridor piece. So far no detail meshes and no texturing, just trying to get everything the right size and feel. I'll add a few more details, especially to the floor which is not done yet. Then onto texturing to see how close I can get it to my reference shots. Time allowing I'll build out some corridors and rooms/areas.

Here's where I'm at currently.

$giger1.png

24. Brotherhood

Brotherhood

I haven't been able to do much work on my entry for quite a while now. As such, I plan on submitting them "as-is" since my schedule won't allow me to do much of anything these next four months, much less these next few days. Sadly, that means that there's quite a bit of detail missing in some areas, and some problems I noticed in my screenshots that won't be getting fixed.

I'll link to the screenshots later in the week closer to the deadline (Monday or Tuesday most likely).

@yahodahan
    Is it okay to upload the project in .rar form, or .zip only?

@ Zidalis and Metakid
    Both of your projects look amazing! I'm a bit jealous honestly.

25. yahodahan

yahodahan

Looking good, really hope you can take this to completion in time, excited to see the final result! Keep us posted! :)

Sorry to hear, but you've created great things already! Looking forward to those final screenshots :)

zip, rar, or 7zip are OK. I have a fine assortment of geeky tools to unpack just about anything!

26. AlexM_Infinite

AlexM_Infinite

27. AlexM_Infinite

AlexM_Infinite

Decided to get rid of the teeth-life props. Didn't like the way they turned out. Went for a brush based solution that's more in the realm of cold metal design rather than attempting to be organic.

EDIT: was a winner for the free tool picked??

28. johny

johny

Hey some final questions. How many screenshots do we need? Is it alright if we send them via email? Finally do you just need screenshots?

29. Brotherhood

Brotherhood

Thanks.:cool:

I have two more s̶t̶u̶p̶i̶d̶ questions
    1. Is it okay to put the "Made with ProBuilder" image and our forum name at the bottom of the screenshots we submit, or should they be 100% free of anything? I know its not really retouching but I'd hate to get disqualified for something silly like that. (If NO, should we include something stating who the project belongs to, or will you keep track of that? - I ask because I'm assuming there will be quite a few entries that haven't posted any WIP images)
    2. Is there any specific folder structure you'd like in the archived files? I just figure a standard structure might make things a bit easier.

For example:
    Code (csharp):
    1. My_Entry.rar
    2.      - [Screenshots Folder]
    3.             - Image_01.png
    4.             - Image_02.png
    5.             - Image_03.png
    6.             - etc...
    7.      - Unity_Project_Folder.rar
    8. -------------------
    9. My_Entry.rar
    10.      - Image_01.png
    11.      - Image_02.png
    12.      - Image_03.png
    13.      - etc...
    14.      - [Unity Project Folder]
    15.             - <project folder contents go here>
    16. -------------------
    17. ETC.
    I can help answer some of that. Under "Entries and Copyright" (on the first page of this topic) it says.

30. SevenBits

SevenBits

No, the deadline was extended to April 10th.

31. Bucket-Monkey

Bucket-Monkey

Hi All

Here is a quick update WIP. Unfortunately my day job and two young children take up a lot of my time, but aiming to get more done for the 10th.

Some very nice work being submitted. Having a blast getting used to the Probuilder tools.

Probuilder is now my weapon of choice to help build my first Oculus Rift Prototype :D

$a7r66ph.jpg

Link to a larger version:

http://i.imgur.com/rkVP44A.jpg

Cheers
    Jay

32. JorgeLuis

JorgeLuis

Wow! I really loved this scene, those glowy things in the walls look fantastic and the illumination, and the textures are really well positioned. :) Nice job :)

33. SevenBits

SevenBits

Wow, that looks awesome! Webplayer?

34. Bucket-Monkey

Bucket-Monkey

Thanks SevenBits and JorgeLuis

Sure, was planning on a web player for the end of contest. At the moment he lights move and the doors open to other areas that I am working on.
    Will hopefully get something posted monday evening.

Cheers Jay

35. AlexM_Infinite

AlexM_Infinite

i mean for the qip conrwar

36. yahodahan

yahodahan

3 screenshots minimum :)

I really like that you've been adding the "Made with ProBuilder" logo to the WIP images- thanks for that! For the files you send in the RAR/ZIP/etc, you can leave it off though, and I'll add it in after. That way I can see the full image.

No special folder structure should be needed, other than:
    -Main Folder (MyFolder.zip)
    -->Project Folder (the Unity project)
    -->Screenshots (all screenshots)
    -->MyInfo.txt (text file with your contact info, and any extra info you'd like to add)

Good questions, thanks!

37. yahodahan

yahodahan

Wow, very cool! Can't wait to see what you create on the Oculus Rift as well!

Assuming you meant "wip contest", ( ;) ), good question! I'm digging through the WIP entries, I'll announce a winner in a few minutes...never easy to choose!

38. yahodahan

yahodahan

You folks are making this WIP judging really, really tough! Everyone is making awesome art, love to see it coming together. These decisions weren't easy, but the 2 WIP images that caught my attention most were:

WIP Win #1: Jesus
    The complex architecture and planning in this one really caught my eye. Very nice work, really hoping you can finish it up in time for the final submission!

WIP Win #2: Bucket Monkey
    You've really dropped a last-minute bomb with this one- great detail and lighting! The previous screenshot you posted, with the blue lighting, really impressed as well. Can't wait for the final art!

Honorable Mention: ZedalisDesign
    Zedalis already owns all the tools, so no actual prize here- but definitely an Honorable Mention. This one really, really gets my imagination running! Show us more!! :D

WIP winners- send me an email via "contact(at)sixbysevenstudio.com", and I'll set you up with the full version of ProBuilder right away.

Again, huge thanks to everyone for participating, awesome work all around. Super-psyched for the final submissions... $500 riding on this one, so make it count! Just 3 days left now!

39. AlexM_Infinite

AlexM_Infinite

hahahahaha wow

sorry japanese keyboard :X

40. JorgeLuis

JorgeLuis

Hi these are my last WIP screenshots, I'm gonna start uploading everything to my Dropbox, Good luck everyone! :)
    $Sin nombre.jpg
    $Sin nombre2.jpg

41. Bucket-Monkey

Bucket-Monkey

WOW, thanks for this! Really enjoying this challenge.

Email sent

Cheers Jay

42. FreakForFreedom

FreakForFreedom

Ah, damn, I missed the wip prices? Was hoping to get my hands on a probuilder licence... ;)

Anyway, here's a little update:
    The first one is the engine room with a sort of a black hole engine. The player can turn it on/off, when its on the eyes on the displays are going crazy (got that idea from fallout3 ^^) and the ambient will get much more horror-like (like bloody spikes coming out from everywhere and so on).
    The second shows a remodeled corridor from the main spaceship to the little spaceship-thingy.
    And the last one simply shows an inside corridor. Gotta work on the light, too much details rest unshown. Also, the floor still is crappy, gotta work on this one.
    Still got to add some detail meshes, fortunately we got 2 more days.
    $screen3.png
    $screen4.png
    $screen5.png

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  43. yahodahan

yahodahan

Well, BucketMonkey has informed me he already has ProBuilder! He generously offered to pass on the prize, to a runner-up contestant :) Thanks BucketMonkey, you rock!

Of course now I have to decide on another WIP winner...decision commencing...

44. yahodahan

yahodahan

Alright, since BucketMonkey passed on his WIP prize, we need a new winner! As always, tough decision, but in the end I have to choose-

New WIP Winner #2: Jorge Luis!

You've managed a crazy amount of detail despite only using the free version of ProBuilder, and this top-down screenshot really is icing on the cake. Looking good!

Just send me an email per the docs, and I'll set you up with a full version of ProBuilder!

45. SevenBits

SevenBits

Hm, interesting choice. Anyway, nice job; looked really nice.

46. yahodahan

yahodahan

To clarify- he already has ProBuilder, so he passed along the prize :)

47. JorgeLuis

JorgeLuis

Hi, I really appreciated to chose me for this awesome prize :D I already sent you a private message. Thank you. ;)

48. yahodahan

yahodahan

Dangit, what's with everybody, purchasing ProBuilder before I can give it to you for free! ;)

Ok. This time, no mistakes, and I can't handle any more tough choices. FreakForFreadom, AlexM_Infinite, and Johny, first person to reply here will win that twice-passed copy of ProBuilder! It has a few fingerprints, a little scuffing on the edges, but basically brand new!

49. Axtel_Sturnclaw

Axtel_Sturnclaw

What's this? A hard copy? I didn't know you were giving away hard copies? ;)

Anyway, all this is looking wonderful! Especially you, ZedalisDesign... I love the look!

50. AlexM_Infinite

AlexM_Infinite

Post!!!! Do want!! :d

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.