Search Unity

$500 Mapping Contest! Sci-Fi/Horror Theme

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by yahodahan, Feb 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JorgeLuis

JorgeLuis

Hey, :) just updating the past image with more things and a wide field of view of the scene, hope to win a prize today :) I will continue with the progress of my work, just feeling something is missing :/
    $SOQKgiB.jpg

LINK: http://i.imgur.com/SOQKgiB.jpg

2. Bucket-Monkey

Bucket-Monkey

So taking Yahodahan's advice about being off the theme a little, I decided to start again. This time it's hopefully more Science Fiction.

Early block-out just to get the tone right. I will start adding more details and additional gameplay areas when time allows.

Cheers Jay

$SxBZcS7.jpg

Here's a link to a higher res shot:

http://i.imgur.com/NPqMwRC.jpg

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  3. Bucket-Monkey

Bucket-Monkey

Love the lighting on this shot. Real nice work!

Jay

4. Tarkriel

Tarkriel

Yes I will texture them before starting to make a scene, I just need to make some more and also to make some specific assets.

Hehe ;) yes it seems we found the same very cool article on creating modular environments from Thiago

http://www.thiagoklafke.com/modularenvironments.html

5. yahodahan

yahodahan

Time is up for the first WIP prizes! Choosing the top two now...

6. yahodahan

yahodahan

1st WIP Prize: Johny!
    This scene is filled with great detail, great lighting, and just oozes story. My favorite so far, so keep at it, and show us more! Johny, send me a PM to pick up a copy of ProGrids!

$AlmostDone.png

2nd WIP Prize: Brotherhood!
    This was a really tough choice between several entries. You've clearly put a LOT of work into this map so far, especially to achieve that texturing without the Full version of ProBuilder. Definitely looking forward to more, whether adding or refining! Send me a PM as well to pick up your copy of ProGrids :)

$brotherhood.png

To All:
    Lots of great entries already, and still around 20 days to go- several more WIP prizes on the way, so please keep the images coming!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  7. yahodahan

yahodahan

Contest Judge #3: Simon Dean, creator of Folk Tale! (www.gamesfoundry.com)

Simon Dean began his career pushing pixels with his best friend in a garage working on a tank game. Soon realizing Command Conquer had them whooped, their first game evolved and become Beasts Bumpkins, published worldwide by Electronic Arts in 1997.

Spending the next fourteen years in various team leadership roles, he returned to his passion of games development and started work on Folk Tale in 2011. As Project Lead he now coordinates an international team that started out as a collaboration in the Unity forums and successfully graduated Steam Greenlight in October last year, a remarkable achievement considering they've yet to meet face to face.

Attached Files:

8. JorgeLuis

JorgeLuis

Hi, thanks bucketMonkey i'm really liking the details in your scene too and that light coming from the floor :) nice work.

Here another WIP image of a hall that is leading to the lab, I'm gonna make a lab based on the "Alien: the eight passenger" movie , I hope to get the same atmosphere. :)

$Sin nombre.jpg

Here the link for a large view:

http://i.imgur.com/vxiLpJb.jpg

9. yahodahan

yahodahan

Forgot to comment on this- looking VERY nice, really like it! Panels on the side really look good, nice work. "Engineering 01" text adds to the scene well. Nice work!

10. SevenBits

SevenBits

Congrats to the winners.

11. JorgeLuis

JorgeLuis

WIP update :) This is the lab/hospital just wanted to show you the progress of my lab, I still need to put many things, all the beds,windows, the lights in the ceiling everything is made with proBuilder, I've been working all the afternoon in this hope you like it :) Cheers!

$Sin título.png

12. Brotherhood

Brotherhood

Seriously loving these two scenes.

I was working on hallway pieces yesterday. Today I only had time to work on one texture, so no real progress, but I figured I'd toss up another very early WIP (the textures aren't even done, no normals, and as you can see, the ceiling isn't even finished). This isn't going to be a scene in and of itself, it's just showcasing the pieces in their current state with simple lighting.

Direct link: http://i.imgur.com/PVUigzq.png

13. BigBite

BigBite

Hey yahodahan. I was trying to texture a probuilder prefab and everything was working fine. At some point tho, my prefab got a face removed. i was wondering if there is a way to get it back.

14. yahodahan

yahodahan

If I face disappears, try turn on/off NoDraw via the VisPanel. If that doesn't do it, try to figure out the exact steps to re-create the issue, and then we'll be able to figure out the cause.

15. Tarkriel

Tarkriel

All the assets are now finished and textured, next step would be to blockout the scene and maybe create some more props.

16. yahodahan

yahodahan

Very nice! I see you found GameTextures latest Sci-Fi materials- I've been eyeing those myself, wanting to create a level just for the fun of using them. I'll have to live vicariously through your level for now :) Excited to see where you take this!

17. Axtel_Sturnclaw

Axtel_Sturnclaw

Well, it might be a little late for me to jump in, but I'll do it anyway.

Are there any restrictions on the size of the level?

Other than that, I don't think there are any other questions I have...

P.S. I love the modular style!

Attached Files:

18. Metakid

Metakid

Great mood board! I've actually been in the bar in the small central image, it's in Switzerland in a small medieval town called Gruyere, right next to the Giger Museum which I have also visited :D (big fan, can you tell?)

I'm getting ready to start on my submission for this momentous contest, will post stuff as I go alone. Fun!

19. yahodahan

yahodahan

No size restrictions...could be a single room even...if you make it really, amazingly great. But, at least several rooms/areas is really best. Quality over quantity though, for sure.

Nice- must be very cool to see in-person. Looking forward to your entry! :)

20. Tarkriel

Tarkriel

Thanks ! :D

Should be cool to see it in person, is the Giger Museum is nice to visit ? Maybe one day I will have the chance to go in Switzerland :cool:

I start the work on my scene today, putting together all my modular family, here is the result :

21. yahodahan

yahodahan

Glow-y! Modular + ProBuilder must be a pretty fine combination, you've been able to build that up awfully quickly- nice work :)

22. Axtel_Sturnclaw

Axtel_Sturnclaw

Just got "The Holy Trinity" of game design: ProBuilder, ProGrids, and QuickDecals! I am loving it! Working on a tunnel design iteration, nothing to show yet, but I will post some screens soon...

Loving the modular design even more!

That has to be the best WIP screen I have seen yet. Love the lighting!

23. yahodahan

yahodahan

Ha, thanks! :D Those really will boost your level design speed, and quality. I do intend to make a "bundle version" sometime soon as well, I have a couple other tools finished, but un-released...no time!

24. Axtel_Sturnclaw

Axtel_Sturnclaw

Working on one of the tunnel designs, very early WIP, but coming along fine...

Debating on whether or not to keep the fins behind the cylinders, or to make them go from floor to ceiling.

$500 Contest.PNG

Interesting! Any hints?

25. karl_

karl_

I'd say nix the fins. Also, with 2.1 out you should get some smoothing on those cylinders!

26. Axtel_Sturnclaw

Axtel_Sturnclaw

Great... Also debating on whether or not to leave the upper support in and run ceiling details off it, or to take it out.

Cylinders are at 16 faces instead of 12, and look much better already.

$500 Contest2.PNG

$500 Contest3.PNG

Soli Deo Gloria!

27. Axtel_Sturnclaw

Axtel_Sturnclaw

Okay, so I completely scrapped the pillars, and added a door frame, some ceiling detail, and am going to add some more detail on the walls...

$500 Contest4.PNG

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  28. yahodahan

yahodahan

I do like it better without the pillars, mostly because they made it look egyptian/roman/etc. Not so much Sci-Fi.

I'm actually working an full FPS tutorial series for Unity Cookie right now, and a big thing I like to talk about is "realism in imagination". Even when building things that couldn't possibly exist with current technology/etc, it's very important for things to "make sense" and look like they belong/could exist. The unconcious mind, even while busy blasting alien swarms and what not, really picks up on that, and it makes a serious impression on how much you like a game. Or, that's my belief :)

So, pillars in a sci-fi tunnel/airlock looking area, just don't quite make sense- my brain thinks, "wait, if this is all solid, high-tech steel, why would they need massive supporting pillars?", and the "suspension of disbelief" falls apart quickly.

That all said, love the new look! Also, some low-profile side-supports might be nice, almost like ribs, following the sides.

29. Tarkriel

Tarkriel

I also like it better without the pillar, you have a really good start keep it up :D

I start working on the side wall of my scene near the desk, what do you think about it ? I go crazy after going at Verdun metro Station in Montreal today :eek:

$IMG_0722.JPG

30. yahodahan

yahodahan

Neat, I like it! This weeks WIP prize is going to be really tough to decide...

31. Brotherhood

Brotherhood

This looks great, reminds me a lot of Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Had some time to work on a new room today. I didn't get too much done with the room itself, but I finished a few props.

32. Axtel_Sturnclaw

Axtel_Sturnclaw

Like these?

$500 Contest5.PNG

33. yahodahan

yahodahan

Just a couple days till the next WIP contest- lets make this interesting- free copy of any tool, including ProBuilder itself, to the winner!

You'll have to impress me though- lets see some seriously cool level art!

34. AlexM_Infinite

AlexM_Infinite

Here's where I am so far. I've been spending a lot of time today going through HR Giger's work.

35. Axtel_Sturnclaw

Axtel_Sturnclaw

Lost my tunnel design when I upgraded to ProBuilder 2.1, but that was fine, switching directions, and going to push ProBuilder to it's limits doing *organic* modeling... Trying to increase the wow factor...

36. yahodahan

yahodahan

Looking good! Were those spikes built with ProBuilder? If so, I salute you! Guessing they are max/blender/etc, that's fine, although we are working on an update to allow more organic construction :)

Sorry to hear :( Looking forward to the new creation!

37. Axtel_Sturnclaw

Axtel_Sturnclaw

Q- Will it be out by the end of the contest? I am guessing probably not, but just wanted to ask... Also, you had mentioned some other unreleased tools, any hints?

It was perfectly fine, because 2h later, I decided to do a totally different thing that what I had originally envisioned. Some screens and concept art coming soon...

Soli Deo Gloria,
    Axtel Sturnclaw

38. AlexM_Infinite

AlexM_Infinite

Spikes are done externally. Mirror support isn't present in probuilder demo is it? So far I've been recreating the geometry on both sides.

39. yahodahan

yahodahan

You can rotate, which takes care of most double-geometry :)

Mirroring will be coming to the full version very soon, probably not the free though, sorry.

One more day till the next WIP prize everyone!

40. AlexM_Infinite

AlexM_Infinite

Didnt like the gates on the right side of the scene in the last photo. They were too gothic. So I redid that portion and started to work on some more brush based geometry for the walls and bridges then connected some pipes.

41. FreakForFreedom

FreakForFreedom

I've spend waaay too much time setting up the ambient/mood. I'm trying to generate as many modular assets as possible (e.g. the corridor and doorway are).
    $corridor_inside.png
    $corridor_outside.png
    I'm now working on the inside of that big spaceship-thingy. But Its not the real thing without textures, so screens will follow later.
    Also, I really need to scrap some money for a pro version so I can stop bothering my roommate by occupying his pc&pro version. ;)

Mirroring is easy, simply scale by -1. :)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  42. yahodahan

yahodahan

Oh wow, this is looking great! Definitely a top contender for the WIP prize tonight, way to drop a bomb at the last minute! :)

43. yahodahan

yahodahan

Hmm...Groups and Arrays! ;)

Ah, that works out well then :)

44. yahodahan

yahodahan

Cool, looking good! I wish I could see just a bit more...but you are definitely hitting the theme right on!

45. Ebkac

Ebkac

My entry for this is inspired by Virus, (the original DC Comics, never saw the movie version), WaterWorld and Event Horizon.

It is loosely based on the USS Missouri, 1944. The alternate history version of this is that the ship vanished into the Bermuda Triangle in 1945 and recently appeared out of no where, all crew missing. $wip00.png $wip01.png $wip02.png $wip04.png

46. FreakForFreedom

FreakForFreedom

Love this kind of idea for a story/mood setting. This is why mine spells Borealis (from HL2/Portal) :)

47. Axtel_Sturnclaw

Axtel_Sturnclaw

I love it! I certainly don't think you spent too much time, because it looks beautiful!

P.S. Due to some scheduling issues, I will not be able to further participate in the contest. However, that does not mean I will not be watching :)

Soli Deo Gloria,
    Axtel Sturnclaw

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  48. Brotherhood

Brotherhood

Amazingly, I found some time to work on my map today.

(Direct: http://i.imgur.com/CAwYRYX.png)
    You can't really see some of the finer detail in this shot, but I like it the most because you can see all of the lights on the walkway.
    I still have quite a few stuff to do, but it's mostly detailing, adding some clutter, and re-doing the lightmap. I also want to toss in a few particle effects but I'll see if I can get around to doing it properly since I'm a quite the scrub in that regard.

Any feedback is highly appreciated.

That looks great, can't wait to see it once it's done.

This looks excellent! Bravo on the ambience, it's very well done.

49. JorgeLuis

JorgeLuis

Hi, i havent post in a while been busy with school, but I wanted to share you a WIP image of my lab, $Sin nombre.png

50. AlexM_Infinite

AlexM_Infinite

Didnt relize how dark the screen was. That's what I get for working in a pitch black room. Started learning unity lighting today. It's quite nice to play with :)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.