Search Unity

[RELEASED] UniStorm 5.2 - AAA Volumetric Clouds, URP Support, Weather, Sky, Atmospheric Fog, & More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BHS, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Felixsg

Felixsg

Are a roadmap avalaible?
    Are any Eta for URP full support?

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  2. Lorrak

Lorrak

looking forward for fog urp support(mobile)

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
  3. Aress28

Aress28

Hi.
    How i can make Dark night?u dont need anything like torch or Flashlight cuz its not dark ....i try change seting on moon but there nothing changes ...its just stay the same

4. nu51313932

nu51313932

how to make the 2d cloud opaue becasue I can see the star behind the cloud at night (my own star mesh)

5. Duffer123

Duffer123

@BHS - is this asset URP compatible?

6. aganm

aganm

No. I'm waiting for the update.

Duffer123 likes this.
  7. Duffer123

Duffer123

@aganm , Thanks. Yes, given I have finally taken the plunge with URP, and noting all the assets moving over to URP or focusing on it, the time is now to support it I think.

8. Voodoocado

Voodoocado

Hello!

I really like this plugin! It's amazing.

However, I'd like to take control of some stuff myself in my project. So I built my own weather system.
    So here's my question - would it be possible to take control of the cloud generation and run it without the
    whole rest of the system? I haven't been able so far to "de-marry" them. Any suggestions? =)

9. baaleos

baaleos

Im using Unistorm in a Quest 2 project - is anyone else getting lag / stutter when looking at clouds.
    I am wondering if this is a volumetrics in general issue - as I had similar problem on another volumetric cloud/fog package.

Works fine in PC VR Mode.
    Just has problems in android / quest 2 mode.

10. Felixsg

Felixsg

11. Felixsg

Felixsg

Change the type of cloud to 2d

12. CurryKitten

CurryKitten

I'm having a really weird issue here which I can't seem to explain, so hoping it might be a case of someone seeing it before and saying "oh yes that's....xxx". I'm working on the mobile versions of my quadcopter flight sim and decided to leave weather in. Although it's quite processor intensive, my iPhone XR does a reasonable job, and that has less than half the graphics grunt of the newer and more powerful phones/tablets.

But something is going wrong. The same code that runs on MacOS/Windows/Linux runs absolutely fine on iOS, but on Android we seem to get quite a thick atmospheric fog and lack of clouds.... but then after you give it 30 seconds we get a few tiny blobs of cloud that look way high in the sky!?

Everything is fine in the editor, it's just when we go over to actual hardware things go amiss. I'm attaching a short YouTube video here showing the difference between iOS (working) and Android (not working) if you hold on a while you'll see the tiny clouds start to appear in the sky on Android, but they don't cast a shadow or anything.

I did go back and run the demo project for Android and that works fine - but I really can't see the difference in anything I'm doing here, and given everything on every other platform seems to work fine, I'm at a bit of a loss about what's amiss.

Can anyone give me any clues?

13. Victoralm

Victoralm

Hi all!!

Newby on UniStorm here so, if I ask something weird, please let me know why...

Is there a way to increase the wind strength when/while the Gust sounds are playing!?

14. creat327

creat327

Any reason why there is over 400 line matching this?
    sunShaftScript =cameraThing.GetComponent<Camera>().GetComponent<SunShafts>()

I mean
    1) It's cpu intensive.
    2) It's useless. Why get the camera component to get the sunshafts script from it?
    3) The whole script is full of those kind of lines. Instead of catching on one call, you keep doing things like that all over.

like...

lightClouds1.GetComponent<Renderer>().material.SetColor("_Color", this.currentColor);
    lightClouds1a.GetComponent<Renderer>().material.SetColor("_Color", this.currentColor);
    moonObject.GetComponent<Renderer>().sharedMaterial.SetFloat("_FloatMin", (Hour / 2) - 2);
    moonFade2 = moonObject.GetComponent<Renderer>().sharedMaterial.GetFloat("_FloatMin") * -50000.0f;
    moonObject.GetComponent<Renderer>().sharedMaterial.SetFloat("_FogAmountMin", (moonFade2));

on every single Update. I think you can save millions of cpu cycles if you revised the code a bit.

Lastly, the latest version of VR shaders are wrong. Definitions are wrong. Code is wrong. You added different code paths for single instanced or not. This is wrong since Unity already provides calls for all that and handles it internally. If you upgrade to 2021.2 alpha, you will see what I mean. Unity will tell you a few places where it's clearly wrong (still, you would need to check others).

15. AtomicLugia

AtomicLugia

Heyho, when I trigger the weather "Heavy Snow", there are no snow flakes and these errors are printed:

NullReferenceException: Do not create your own module instances, get them from a ParticleSystem instance
    UnityEngine.ParticleSystem+EmissionModule.set_rateOverTime (UnityEngine.ParticleSystem+MinMaxCurve value) (at <b5ab4a350b52494ca111de05393067dc>:0)
    UniStorm.UniStormSystem+<ParticleFadeSequence>d__395.MoveNext () (at Assets/UniStorm Weather System/Scripts/System/UniStormSystem.cs:3169)
    UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (System.Collections.IEnumerator enumerator, System.IntPtr returnValueAddress) (at <e414e10bfe5f45729ff122f3359de21b>:0)

and

NullReferenceException: Do not create your own module instances, get them from a ParticleSystem instance
    UnityEngine.ParticleSystem+EmissionModule.set_rateOverTime (UnityEngine.ParticleSystem+MinMaxCurve value) (at <b5ab4a350b52494ca111de05393067dc>:0)
    UniStorm.UniStormSystem+<AdditionalParticleFadeSequence>d__396.MoveNext () (at Assets/UniStorm Weather System/Scripts/System/UniStormSystem.cs:3219)
    UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (System.Collections.IEnumerator enumerator, System.IntPtr returnValueAddress) (at <e414e10bfe5f45729ff122f3359de21b>:0)

Is this a bug of Unity, UniStorm or did I mess up?

16. paulojsam

paulojsam

i can see the sun going in from of geometry ... Any clues? im using the standard unity material.

17. Matt_XIII

Matt_XIII

upload_2021-6-14_19-58-38.png
    Hi, wondering if anyone could help me out! I'm trying to achieve a similar skybox using UniStorm with built-in rendering on Unity. If i adjust the fog color leaving the height of the skybox at 0.85 the sky changes to the blue but I lose the white on fog on the horizon. If i drop the fog skybox to 0 and adjust the sky tint it makes next to no diff and then if i adjust the sky color itself it changes but its still off and then alters the horizon color to a green tint............. six beers later im still pulling my hair out haha. I love this asset but something as simple as this shouldnt be that difficult or am i missing something here? HELP NEEDED!

18. BHS

BHS

There is an included script called UniStormCTSController to control weather shading of CTS. There's no integration with MicroSplat yet, but I can certainly add an included script when I get the chance.

19. BHS

BHS

I just released an update to address issues with Single Pass VR. I have one more minor update I'm working on and then I will begin working on full URP support. If you're referring to UniStorm's Atmospheric Lighting, no, it does not currently work with URP as all image effect related shaders need to be rewritten.

Duffer123 likes this.
  20. BHS

BHS

Anything from Fandom Wiki is years old. Everything has been moved over to the UniStorm Wiki site: https://github.com/Black-Horizon-Studios/UniStorm-Weather-System/wiki

UniStorm has also been completely rewritten since then so that script will most likely reference variables that no longer exists.

There's an included script called TurnOffLight that should provide basic light control functionality, but I recommend using hour based events to have more control over when the lights are enabled or disabled. An example of an OnHourChangeEvent can be found here: https://github.com/Black-Horizon-Studios/UniStorm-Weather-System/wiki/UniStorm-API#onhourchangeevent

21. BHS

BHS

To make darker nights, you can adjust the following to a darker color:
    1. Moonlight Color
    2. All Ambient Colors (located under Atmosphere Settings) Ensure that you are using the Color or Gradient Environment Lighting Source.
    3. Fog Color

I can email you a UniStorm Profile to give you really dark nights (my email is Support@BlackHorizonStudios.com). You can then import it using the Profile Management so the dark night colors would be applied to your UniStorm System. I'd post it here, but the Unity Forum doesn't allow .asset files to be uploaded.

22. BHS

BHS

With the most recent update, I made 2D clouds render much thicker so this should no longer happen.

23. BHS

BHS

Try updating to the newest version (4.3.1) to see if it resolves this.

24. BHS

BHS

What version are you using? That code looks like it many years old. All variables are cached and have been for awhile. UniStorm has also been completely rewritten since multiple cloud layers were used.

25. BHS

BHS

What version of Unity and UniStorm are you using? Have you double checked to make sure you are not missing a particle effect within the Heavy Snow weather type?

26. BHS

BHS

Can you please provide a screenshot of what's happening?

27. BHS

BHS

Setting the Skybox Fog Height (located under the Fog Settings) to 0 should allow the horizon to retain some of the whiteness, but this also depends on some of your color settings. Using the default UniStorm system (with the default colors) allowed this when I tested it. You can also try using the Unity Fog option to use a similar Skybox to Unity's default one, which should look similar with the whiteness near the horizon and no interference with the UniStorm Fog.

28. AtomicLugia

AtomicLugia

Sorry, I forgot about that! My Unity is 2020.2.1f1 and UniStorm is 4.3.1. I was using Bolt to set the current weather. I haven't touched anything with the snow particles. I only changed the materials to make them work in URP, which is version 10.2.2. Bolt is version 1.4.15. Hope this helps!

BTW, is it just me or are thunderstorms unbelievably rare? I have to add "Thunderstorm" at least 8 times to the weather list to appear at all. I also set the time to summer. Is there any special conditions for that?

Not sure if I already said this but still, I love your asset!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
  29. ishangill

ishangill

I am making a simulator game for android mobile.
    I am using unistorm weather system.
    Pls can you give me some hint how can I use or some settings for best performance on mobile .
    In runtime my cpu main usage is 2.5 without unistorm mobile.
    And with unistorm mobile my cpu main usage is 4.5 to 5.5

30. HypnotistDK

HypnotistDK

Clouds not showing up in my project (URP) That should work in URP right?
    Suggestions on what could be wrong?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
  31. creat327

creat327

Don't use it on mobile. The skybox compute shader is so slow that it's super noticeable. I posted about it almost a year ago and it is still not fixed. Many of the textures are also huge for mobile. I managed to get it all fast but I had to rewrite almost the whole system. Until that skybox compute shader is fixed, it will always be slow.

32. ishangill

ishangill

yes you are right . This asset is heavy for mobile and also developer not respond. I tried too much time but developer not respond yet.
    Useless asset.

33. NEPS

NEPS

I am using the PUN2 prefab and it seems to work. It comes hard coded with all weather systems. How to set a profile? So it cycles through a few types of weather or seasonal? Unpack, add file and uncheck unwanted weather types? Not finding this, sorry. Also it would be super awesome if there were some playmaker integrations with both of your packages! Thank you.

34. Arashi_Hayato

Arashi_Hayato

Loving the rain and lightning but for some reason I cant get a single cloud to appear. I'm using URP on unity 2019.4 anyone have any suggestions?

35. lindsaad

lindsaad

Same for me. Any thoughts?

36. helmuthfer

helmuthfer

I'm facing the same problem with clouds and Unistorm fog not showing up. Please, help us!!

37. BHS

BHS

Thanks for the info.

I just tested this in Unity 2020.1 and did not get that error. There's a chance it's specifically related to Unity 2020.2 so I'll get that version of Unity and try it out. Was the Heavy Snow weather type the only one causing the error?

All precipitation weather types are randomly picked when precipitation weather is generated. I've thought about adding customizable odds for each weather type within the UniStorm Editor to have more control over how often each weather type is picked. If that's something that interests you, I can add that feature in when I get the chance.

38. BHS

BHS

I'm aware of some performance issues on mobile. After the update I'm currently working on is finished, I'm going to get things optimized better for mobile. My apologies for any inconveniences.

39. BHS

BHS

Clouds can work in URP by doing the following. My apologies for the inconveniences. The fix for Single Pass VR that was added in with the last update made the clouds not work in URP.

Open the UniStormClouds script and find the line:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. UniStormSystem.Instance.PlayerCamera.AddCommandBuffer(CameraEvent.BeforeImageEffects, cloudsCommBuff);
    Above it will be another line that's commented out:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. UniStormSystem.Instance.PlayerCamera.AddCommandBuffer(CameraEvent.AfterSkybox, cloudsCommBuff);
    Uncomment the CameraEvent.AfterSkybox line and comment the CameraEvent.BeforeImageEffects, cloudsCommBuff line to allow the clouds to work with URP again.

This should be done in two different spots so the code looks like this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. //UniStormSystem.Instance.PlayerCamera.AddCommandBuffer(CameraEvent.BeforeImageEffects, cloudsCommBuff);
    2. UniStormSystem.Instance.PlayerCamera.AddCommandBuffer(CameraEvent.AfterSkybox, cloudsCommBuff);
    UniStorm Fog does not currently work with URP. All image effect related features need to be rewritten for URP, which I'm currently working on.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
    helmuthfer likes this.
  40. BHS

BHS

If I remember correctly, the weather types are not hardcoded. They are pulled from the applied UniStorm Prefab located on the Player prefab. You should be able to use a custom UniStorm Prefab and apply it to your UniStorm Network Player. This can include your own weather types, profiles, settings, etc.

UniStormNetworkPrefab.png

NEPS likes this.
  41. lindsaad

lindsaad

In my UniStormClouds.cs file the "AfterSkybox" line is already the one commented out in both places. It already appears as you show in your post:

Code (CSharp):
    1. UniStormSystem.Instance.PlayerCamera.AddCommandBuffer(CameraEvent.BeforeImageEffects, cloudsCommBuff);
    2.          //UniStormSystem.Instance.PlayerCamera.AddCommandBuffer(CameraEvent.AfterSkybox, cloudsCommBuff);

42. lindsaad

lindsaad

Doing the opposite brought the clouds back. I commented out the first line so it looks like this:

Code (CSharp):
    2. //UniStormSystem.Instance.PlayerCamera.AddCommandBuffer(CameraEvent.BeforeImageEffects, cloudsCommBuff);
    3.       UniStormSystem.Instance.PlayerCamera.AddCommandBuffer(CameraEvent.AfterSkybox, cloudsCommBuff);

43. BHS

BHS

My apologies for the confusion. That is correct and I've update my post accordingly.

lindsaad likes this.
  44. Aress28

Aress28

Hello!Can some one tell if SUN is intended to be BIG yellow circle ?its just looks ^^..i remember i was using Unistrom way back and sun was normal not big and its where not like yellow dot..now its just like Yellow circle moving ..Moon is OK..but sun...How i can fix it and make it look like sun instead of circle?i also notice that clouds going thru my mountains ..when i run some demo scene clouds and Sun Look Ok..But in my scene..Please some tell me how to fix this if its possible..
    Thanks!

erichey likes this.
  45. helmuthfer

helmuthfer

Many thanks for the fast support, it worked well! btw i'm wating eagerly for the URP fog and UniStorm's Atmospheric Lighting... The Unistorm is a great tool, keep it up!

46. johny256

johny256

HI! Download Old Wersion ?

47. Yann_de_Couessin

Yann_de_Couessin

Hello Black horizon studios developper !
    First, thanks for your asset. It really rocks and helps us achieve real time weather for our immersive safety training.

We use Unity 2020.3, PC platform and URP 10.5, single-pass with OpenXR 1.1.1.
    We tried your 4.3.1 version that fixes single pass, and I inclued the small additionnal fix mentionned above //BeforeImageEffects and uncommenting the above line to bring the clouds back.

-> I'm still having a grey left eye, and black right eye. Of course, switching to multipass works (but unfortunately multi-pass breaks other stuff we use)

Maybe I'm missing something ?

Thanks for your time,
    Best regards

Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
  48. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

49. BHS

BHS

You need to make sure you enable HDR within the Graphics tab in Unity and on our camera. You then need a Bloom Post Processing Effect in order for the sun to have a sun-like glow.

50. BHS

BHS

Hey everyone,

My apologies for the lack of communication. I've been busy working on a large new update, UniStorm version 5.0, that will improve quite a few things. This update needed to be done before full URP support was added and it took longer than expected. I'll discuss these improvements below. I'm hoping to have this update out sometime next week. As always, this will be a free update. After this, I will begin working on UniStorm Mobile improvements and optimizations as well as improved URP support.

Improved Performance
    While being able to increase the quality, lighting, and shading of the clouds (as explained below), there has been a general improvement of performance for most volumetric cloud qualities compared to version 4.0. The Ultra setting will see the most improvements. After version 5.0 is released, I will begin working on improving mobile performance. This will be handled by having separate noise textures at much lower resolutions which should help improve performance and RAM usage on mobile devices.

Improved Lighting
    While UniStorm's move to volumetric clouds was a great improvement, I've felt the lighting needed some reworking and sunrises and sunset were lacking. The lighting stopped being visible too early which resulted in flat looking clouds during sunsets and sunrises. The forwards and backwards scattering was also lacking so this was also written. This allows the sun to accurately shine on and partially through the clouds allowing for more realistic and believable sunsets and sunrises as well as shading throughout all times of day.

UniStorm 4.0 (Previous Version)
    SunUpdate.png

UniStorm 5.0 (New Version)
    UpdatedClouds1.png

Improved Distant Clouds
    UniStorm's distance clouds have also been improved with version 5.0 (see screenshots below). With version 4.0, distant clouds were drawn too large and the skies were lacking a feeling of depth. With version 5.0, how distant clouds are calculated was rewritten to allow them to look more like distant clouds, render clearer, and give a much better feeling of depth to the sky.

Improved Noise Generation, Cloud Formations, and Shading
    UniStorm 4.0's clouds looked a little noisy and the lightning didn't quite match up right with how the clouds were being shaded. This has been fixed with UniStorm 5.0 so clouds have much better shading. The noise used for UniStorm's cloud generation has also been improved so the clouds that are generated better resemble cloud shapes with more billows and less small circular clouds.

UniStorm 4.0 (Previous Version)
    UniStorm_4.0_Clouds.png

UniStorm 5.0 (New Version)
    (Higher Clouds - Same clouds at different times of day)
    UpdatedClouds3.png

UpdatedClouds2.png
    (Lower Clouds)

Improved Default Settings
    The included default lighting and settings are difficult to get right as they vary based on assets used within a project. UniStorm 5.0 will include a new UniStorm prefab based on the exact settings used in all 5.0 screenshots to get the same lighting within custom scenes. These settings were tested in a wide range of model packs to find a balance that should work well with most projects, with of course leaving plenty of room for customization as needed.

UniStorm 5.0

* The assets in the screenshot will not be included with UniStorm 5.0. This is a scene from Rocky Hills Environment - Mega Pack on the Asset Store that's using UniStorm.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    blueivy, PutridEx, GCatz and 5 others like this.