Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[70% OFF!] UniStorm 5.2 - AAA Volumetric Clouds, URP Support, Weather, Sky, Atmospheric Fog, & More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BHS, Jan 27, 2012.

1. nu51313932

nu51313932

unistrom 4.3. I can't see star at night. how to fix this issue? (the intensity is too low so I can't see it)

I have sent my project in personal message.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
  2. BHS

BHS

Hey there. Thanks for bringing these issues up. I have plans to do a performance improvement update, specifically for mobile, that will address most of these issues. If you want an older version of UniStorm for the time being, I'm sure I can find one somewhere.

3. BHS

BHS

What errors are you having? If you are using URP, I'm still working on an update to add proper support as some shaders need to be rewritten. I have been working on an update to add Single Pass Rendering that should improve things significantly with VR.

tonywalsh likes this.
  4. Rage1789

Rage1789

Hi there. I use Unistorm in a VR project and all seem to run fine, but, my mind, I don't find the UNISTORM time event !!!
    I simply want to turn on the light by night but I can't find the time event element... Someone got an idea ?

5. Purumo

Purumo

Hello!
    Can I also get resources and/or a small example in order to be able to control the speed and direction of the wind? Please :)

DesertRaven and StudioAnidus like this.
  6. DesertRaven

DesertRaven

Hey BHS, I'm setting up a new HDRP project and would like to inquire if you have any intentions to make "Unistorm" work with it?

7. Rippero

Rippero

BHS, hi!

Firstly, thanks for a great asset, one of the best clouds implemenation in the store!
    Still I encounter some issues with my celestials, there are no light shafts for sun and moon, i'm using the URP, could it be the problem?

And overall, how can I tweak sunsets lighting in general, can I make it firey red or smothing like that?

Thank you in adance and thank you for a great asset :)

8. CurryKitten

CurryKitten

Howdy,

I'm using Unity 2018.4.25f1 and 4.3.0 (I presume, I can't seem to find a version number anywhere in the assets to confirm) anyway, I wanted to try and bring weather into my project (which is essentially a drone flight sim) so I added a tag to my "player" and another to my main camera and it mainly works, but there seem to be issues in the rendering order.

Here are some moody looking clouds, but you can see they do seem to be covering a hill in the foreground - which seems off

Screenshot 2021-01-12 at 10.51.32.jpg

If we drop down further into the trees, then as you can see the cloud cover is being rendered after the trees/landscape and so is not working as desired.

Screenshot 2021-01-12 at 10.52.01.jpg

I thought this might have something to do with camera depth at first. I have to use a 2 camera system overlaid in order to render stuff very close up (those red spinny props) and far away without the shadows jumping around (which is what I get if I use a very low near clipping plane to render both closeup and far away objects in a single camera) but my main camera, which I tagged to use with UniStorm has the default depth of 1 (with the near camera rendered afterwards)

Where am I going wrong here ?

9. CurryKitten

CurryKitten

Ok - as a follow up and after more messing around I do find that it appears to be more close camera that's rendered last that's causing the problem... but I don't understand why.

If I turn this camera off, then the clouds render correctly (i.e not in front of the terrain) but I lose my props. I'm a bit confused as to why the distant clouds are showing as my near/far clipping plane is very narrow.

Screenshot 2021-01-12 at 12.26.44.jpg

Or is it simply an issue that this is a post-processing effect and doesn't have a concept of how far away things are? In which case I guess what I need is some way to say "ignore the weather rendering for this camera" or something similar. Do you have any suggestions ?

10. CurryKitten

CurryKitten

Well, nothing like talking it through as you go - and I'm writing this up (aside from the fact that I discover more little issues as I fix the others) as people can feel free to jump in and tell me if the approach seems reasonable.

So I had problems that my second (close) camera was rendering the UniStorm weather. So what I did was to put the UniStorm System object in it's own layer called UniStorm (which changed all the children as well) and then I removed the UniStorm layer from this cameras culling mask, so it wasn't rendered. Ok, so that's one problem fixed and another 2 issues discovered.

The first is the trees. I have trees on my terrain, and I love the fact that when the wind gets up and blow around fantastically.... however, for some reason they seem to leave their own shadow behind... that's the best way I can describe it so here's a picture.

Screenshot 2021-01-12 at 14.35.31.jpg

You can see the silhouette of the original tree next to the blown around tree. For once this isn't a camera thing, they are just there all the time. How can I get rid of these.

The last one is actually more annoying, as it's causing some flicker in the shadows. it kind of looks like the player object either creates it's own light, or you are trying to do some kind of light fall off processing. Previously with just a light source pretending to be the sun, the light was pretty even and I had no flicker, but now it looks like this -

Screenshot 2021-01-12 at 14.40.17.jpg

What I hope you can see from the still image is several circles that seem to be brighter in the middle and then there's more shadow in the next few circles. Hence why I thought it looked like the player object was making a light source. Aside from disliking these very obvious circles, there's flickering on these as we move around - which looks awful. Is there a way of disabling this ?

11. CurryKitten

CurryKitten

Update again. I've fixed the weird circular lighting and shadow flickering problems by upping the shadow bias to 0.5 on the UniStorm Sun object, although I also need to lower it down again when I'm looking at my quad in 3rd person mode in order to see shadows when it's low to the ground.... although with this other camera we aren't getting the strange halo type lighting effects. Still not sure what this is/why I'm getting it.

This just leaves the weird static shadow around the trees whilst they are blowing around - anyone ?

12. GIS_Vejle

GIS_Vejle

First off - thanks for making this awesome plugin. It really brings live to a lot of the scenes I'm working on :)

I have a problem I hope you can help me with. I was using an older version of Unistorm and had some problems getting the clouds to work and look correct. The sky just started turning complete white and no clouds.

I updated to the latest version of Unistorm and now the demoscene works flawless now. But now I'm getting an error in my main project. It runs in a VR CAVE setup (4 projectors) and the the supplier have a "Cave Package" that creates all the cameras and makes it work at runtime.

I was supplied a custom script to get UniStorm to work with their camera setup and now I'm getting a
    "'UniStormSystem.InitializeUniStorm()' is inaccessible due to its protection level"

Did something change from the recent version in terms of how the API works? The cavesetup spawns 4 new cameras at runtime (I was told), so I can't use the default setup. Is there an easy fix for this?

This is the script that used to work. It was attached to UniStorm VR System.

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UniStorm;
    2. using UnityEngine;
    4. public class SetupUnistorm : MonoBehaviour
    5. {
    6.     // need the cave cameraRig to get a camera
    7.     public CAVECameraRig cameraRig;
    9.     private IEnumerator Start()
    10.     {
    12.         // wait for one second using coroutine so the cave can spawn its cameras
    13.         yield return new WaitForSeconds(1);
    15.         UniStormSystem system = GetComponent<UniStormSystem>();
    17.         // Setup system
    18.         system.PlayerTransform = cameraRig.transform;
    19.         system.PlayerCamera = cameraRig.GetFirstScreenCamera();
    20.         system.InitializeUniStorm();
    22.     }
    23. }

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
  13. Xammex

Xammex

Hi, is there a URP Support or is something planed ?

14. nu51313932

nu51313932

URP is supported in 4.3

15. MattCabana

MattCabana

Has anyone had a chance to test this with the Oculus Quest? I just decided to giver a go, and im getting a bunch of errors during the packing. Is deploying to the Quest (aka android) supported by this? Also using URP Capture.PNG

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  16. Loki18000

Loki18000

I'am also using the Oculus Quest and I'am having issues. I'm not getting any errors but the screen is Grey in one eye and black in the other can't see anything. If I press play without the Quest being connected then it works fine.

17. tieum67

tieum67

Hello,

I get these errors, right after importing into 2019.4.15. Sometimes these errors disappear and come back later. Sometimes the weatherchanging system does work, sometimes not... I've downloaded et reimported several times, it doesn't solve the issue. Player and main cam are set. Any clue to make the asset work correctly ? Thanks !

18. BHS

BHS

19. BHS

BHS

Hey there! I don't have an example at the moment, but I'm adding wind support with the next update. There will be API you can call to adjust the cloud speed and wind direction during runtime.

20. BHS

BHS

My focus right now is adding support for URP then I will look into support for HDRP.

DesertRaven and tonywalsh like this.
  21. BHS

BHS

Thanks!

Yes, the issue with the sun shafts is related to URP. I'm currently working on updating them to work with URP.

Fiery skies are possible with UniStorm's atmospheric fog shader, which currently isn't working in URP. I'm also working on fixing this. If you want to just make the light from the sun more intense, you need to adjust the Sun Color gradient (located under the Celestial Settings). The 2nd element controls the sunrise color and 5th element controls the sunset color.

SunColors.png

22. BHS

BHS

I think InitializeUniStorm() has always been private, but if you need to access it, open the UniStormSystem script, find the function InitializeUniStorm() and making it public void InitializeUniStorm()

23. BHS

BHS

I can get this fixed with the next update. If you need a solution now, it looks like it can be fixed as explained here: https://answers.unity.com/questions/1529224/opengles3-fails-to-compile-shaders-hiddenpost-fx-f.html

24. BHS

BHS

I have a fix for VR coming with the next update that should fix issue related to Single Pass. Are you using Single Pass?

25. BHS

BHS

Hey there. What are the errors?

26. OccularMalice

OccularMalice

Got this package some time ago but haven't had a chance to use it. I have a large city that I'm building but even in the editor I'm still getting ~800 FPS with basic optimization (occlusion culling, etc.). Dropping in the default setup my framerate drops to about 80. I haven't looked at what I can tweak in the asset for performance and I do understand volumetric calls like this are a bit of a performance killer, and everything depends on your scene but is this kind of performance hit expected or does it seem like I'm missing something obvious?

27. tieum67

tieum67

Sorry, i forgot to add the screenshots. It has been fixed now, i dont know what happened. Everything is fine. Cheers !

28. RamonLion

RamonLion

Hello BHS!

I'm a tentative customer and I was hoping I could run a few questions by you.

-I've been told by another developer that the issue with URP sky and clouds is a lack of certain functions that SRP has. Is this the same issue that's preventing your support of URP currently? It seems that Unity is pretty disinterested in figuring out how to resolve this.

I ask the above question because I am looking to upgrade my game to URP to gain access to many of the performance benefits it allows. Does your day/night and weather work for the most part in URP? My current tool gives me a solid black sky. Which is unusable.

-Do you have the ability to disable the sun and sky for areas like caves and buildings? I use a persistent game manager that holds my systems so I enter scenes that sometimes require no outside effects, but still need time of day systems to be working.

29. gearedgeek

gearedgeek

Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. UniStorm.UniStormSystem.Start () (at Assets/UniStorm Weather System/Scripts/System/UniStormSystem.cs:433)
    I'm getting this error when I start the scene with my mobile (android) project. I'm using the UniStorm Mobile System. I'm also using the TopDown Engine from More Mountain.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  30. OccularMalice

OccularMalice

I have the v2 post processing stack installed but there's a post processing folder (with scripts) that gets installed with the latest version of unistorm. Is this v1 of the post processing stack? Can it be ignored? Just wondering why there's a folder outside of Unistorm and how it relates to the Unity post processing scripts?

31. tieum67

tieum67

Hi ! I was wondering if it's possible (and how) to have a blurred sun. In the picture, the sun is very defined and the shape very precise. Thanks !
    https://imgur.com/abjICS1

32. RamonLion

RamonLion

Through scouring some of the recent reviews on the UniStorm market page:

"URP does work with UniStorm by having Unity update the shaders, except for the aurora shader, which I'm the process of rewriting. I will have URP fully supported soon."

tonywalsh likes this.
  33. GCatz

GCatz

looking forward also for URP update
    in my opinion this weather system looks the best in the store

tonywalsh likes this.
  34. creat327

creat327

any update for mobile and quest? It's been a while...

Lorrak likes this.
  35. nu51313932

nu51313932

hello where are you?

36. BHS

BHS

What UniStorm quality settings are you using and are you receiving any errors? The changes to frame rate shouldn't be that drastic.

37. BHS

BHS

Yes, this is the case and I'm looking for the best way to resolve some of the missing functionality that SRP provides.

UniStorm mostly works in URP excluding Atmospheric Fog, Sun Shafts, Cloud Shadows, and the Global Weather shaders. The Aurora shader can be fixed by removing the "LightMode"="ForwardBase" tag in the UniStorm Auroras shader.

API is included within the UniStormManager script to disable weather effects and sounds.

Code (CSharp):
    1. //The UniStorm Manager can be accessed with UniStorm.UniStormManager.Instance
    2. ChangeWeatherSoundsState(bool ActiveState)
    3. ChangeWeatherEffectsState(bool ActiveState)
    4. SetSunShaftsState(bool CurrentState)
    There's currently no included API to disable the sun and sky, however, this could be done with:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. //Disables UniStorm's Sun and Moon
    2. UniStorm.UniStormSystem.Instance.transform.Find("Celestial Axis").SetActive(false);
    4. //Disables UniStorm's Clouds
    5. UniStorm.UniStormSystem.Instance.transform.Find("UniStorm Volumetric Clouds").SetActive(false);

38. BHS

BHS

This means UniStorm cannot find your player according to the Player Tag set within UniStorm's Editor. Ensure that you have the right tag set. A player and camera object are both required.

39. BHS

BHS

Yes, this is v1 of the Post-Processing Stack. You don't have to use it and v2 will work as well. It is included as it contains a Post Processing Profile with the best settings for UniStorm.

40. BHS

BHS

My apologies for the delay with the update. I had to finish Emerald AI's update first. This is now finished so I can get the UniStorm update out.

41. BHS

BHS

Did you resolve this? Can you please provide a screenshot? There are 3 brightness options for stars so you can try using one of the brighter options or you can set the Starlight Color (located under the Atmosphere Settings) to white.

nu51313932 likes this.
  42. nu51313932

nu51313932

becasue i use the low camera field of view so i can't see the star. the star is too high in the sky.

can i use my own star dorm and make it render behid the cloud and the moon ?

or can I make the star visible lower at sky horizon?

43. jrf407

jrf407

Does this release support URP?

44. aganm

aganm

I don't think so. I believe it's coming in the next patch. At least, I've been trying to use it in URP but had some issues with it.

jrf407 likes this.
  45. creat327

creat327

No URP so far. I've just tried with 2021.1 final release and the sky won't show.

Shaders just turned pink:
    UniStorm Mobile/Dynamic Light Clouds
    and
    UniStorm Mobile/Non-Dynamic Light Clouds

I think with those 2 fixed, most will be ok but no idea how to port those to URP

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
    jrf407 likes this.
  46. Autarkis

Autarkis

Likewise, on a pc VR URP - camera renders grey with the center eye cam plugged in. ( also, same in example VR scene with the single-camera setup.)
    It will be a good day when the next release drops.

47. nu51313932

nu51313932

I already solved it.

48. Abdulmajeed01

Abdulmajeed01

Hello
    Is there integration with CTS or Microsplat for wetness and snow?

MorpheusXI likes this.
  49. BigBoiii_Jones

BigBoiii_Jones

Any ETA on full URP support? Also does volumetric lighting work with current version with URP?

50. GDI_Commando

GDI_Commando

Hey there, I'm currently making my first steps into VR programming and I'm trying to use the timed lights script from the Fandom Wiki and it is giving me thus
    Assets\Game_Scripts\Light_Timers.cs(37,35): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'UniStormWeatherSystem_C' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
    It's probably really simple and I'm dumb but do you have any idea? I am using the VR setup on UniStorm