Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[70% OFF!] UniStorm 5.2 - AAA Volumetric Clouds, URP Support, Weather, Sky, Atmospheric Fog, & More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BHS, Jan 27, 2012.

1. BHS

BHS

You can now with version 4.3. Just look for the UniStorm Sun Object and change the Sun Texture. The Sun Color can be adjusted through the Celestial tab within the UniStorm Editor.

2. BHS

BHS

I wasn't able to include Singe-Pass support with the 4.3 update, but it will be a top priority for the next update.

3. BHS

BHS

Hey there. Can you please provide some screenshots of your issue?

4. BHS

BHS

Hey everyone!

Sorry for my lack of support and communication here on the forums. The latest 4.3 version for UniStorm kept me very busy with the Mega Bundle Sale happening now as I wanted this update to be finished by the time it started.

With that being said, UniStorm version 4.3 has been accepted and is now live!

SunUpdateSmall.png

This update includes some very important and cool improvements that I've been wanting to add for a while now. First major improvement is there is no longer a speed cap limitation for UniStorm's clouds. Characters can move as fast as they need to without any visible tearing in the clouds. This also improves some floating point issues that could arise with the previous update and allows the clouds to go nearly 100,000 units before any floating point issues occur. These cloud changes allow floating point fixes (such as instantly moving the player's position) to work seamlessly with UniStorm.

Second, HDR sun support with a custom sun shader that offers improved sunsets and sunrises. This also allows the clouds to properly mask the sun near the horizon. The color of the sun can be changed right from within the UniStorm Editor, via a HDR Gradient, for each time of day. A custom sun texture can also be used, if desired. There are other improvements, bug fixes, and new features below.

Single-Pass VR support is a top priority for the next update.

Also, UniStorm's documentation has officially moved to the UniStorm Wiki on GitHub. If you have any suggestions for tutorials or improvements, please let me know.

Features
    • Improved the way the cloud movement is calculated so there is no longer tearing in the clouds during fast movement of the player. This removes any previous player movement speed caps that were in place prior to this update.
    • Redid UniStorm's sun to fully support HDR colors so it shines much brighter.
    • Added HDR gradient color option to control UniStorm's sun color for each time of day.
    • Added gradient to control UniStorm's Fog Light instead of it being controlled through the Sun Color gradient.
    • Added gradient to control UniStorm's Fog Light for precipitation weather types instead of it being controlled through the Precipitation Sun Color gradient.
    • Added an option to force low clouds which allows UniStorm's clouds to render much closer to the ground making them much bigger and "poofier". This option is purely preference.
    • Added an option to control the set height for the Force Low Clouds option.
    • Added an option to control the Cloud Light Color during precipitation weather types.
    • Added an option to control the Fog Light Color during precipitation weather types.
    • Added an option to control the amount of triangles it takes to create UniStorm's skydone that's generated on start.
    • Added an option to control the Fog Mode UniStorm will use from within the UniStorm Editor.

Bug Fixes and Improvements
    • Increased the cloud thickness through the Volumetric Cloud shader which improves the masking of the sun and moon through the clouds.
    • Fixed an issue with UniStorm's Fog shader that didn't take into account the world camera height which could result in fog intensity being reduced as the camera went higher on the Y axis. The fog intensity will now remain constant regardless of how high the camera is.
    • Fixed an issue with UniStorm's Star shader that didn't take into account the world camera height which could result in star intensity being reduced as the camera went higher on the Y axis. The star intensity will now remain constant regardless of how high the camera is.
    • Fixed the Blowing Mist particle effect's emission amount from being at more than 0
    • Fixed an issue that didn't allow the sun shaft transform to properly follow the player.
    • Improved UniStorm's sunsets by allowing clouds to mask the sun near the horizon.
    • Improved the way UniStorm's sun sets with precipitation weather types.
    • Improved the way the fog light was calculated near the horizon so it no longer shines below the base of the horizon.
    • Improved atmospheric scattering.
    • Added Fog Settings to the Weather tab that holds all of the fog settings rather than them being mixed in with the Cloud Settings.
    • Removed the previous sun that UniStorm used with all of its settings which includes Sun Spot Quality and Sun Spot Intensity
    • Updated all editor links to use the UniStorm Wiki. This Wiki will be the new documentation for UniStorm.
    • Renamed Sun Spot options to Sun Object

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    ernov likes this.
  5. ChezDoodles

ChezDoodles

Looking forward to HDRP support ;):):D:rolleyes:

6. Spikebor

Spikebor

Now with 3 render pipelines, people really want to know if this assets support which RP.
    I think a big bold lines state that this assets support what RP(s) at the start of asset store description will help alot.

7. Boemak

Boemak

Just a heads up, I bought the asset on the sale. It looks really nice but the editor buttons ( The big one's ) are missing in the Linux version of Unity. They aren't drawn. The Windows version works fine.

Any ideas?

BeaverlyHillsStudios likes this.
  8. SSL7

SSL7

@BHS we are still having issues with wind and Vegetation Studio Pro, when weather changes some times, a very high wind occurs in the transition (transition is not smooth). It's been a year I have reported this issue, any chance we have a fix soon?

9. SgtLame

SgtLame

Hi,
    I just got Unistorm and it's great! Just a couple of questions I really could not find answers about in the doc:
    - How can I change the weather type? EDIT: Solved
    - By defaut, the scene is very very foggy, with a very short view distance. How can I change that?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  10. BeaverlyHillsStudios

BeaverlyHillsStudios

Hi, great work, but Unity on Linux, I am missing all the setup in inspector :) See the screen. Everything works, but I am not able to set it up.

Snímek z 2020-10-25 18-34-13.png

11. BeaverlyHillsStudios

BeaverlyHillsStudios

Same problem here, didn't saw your post at first

12. nu51313932

nu51313932

4.3 looks so great

BHS likes this.
  13. J-Luna

J-Luna

I couldnt find any reference to URP pipeline. Is it supported? What about mobile, can we cap out some features to not degrade performance? Thanks!!

14. BettoSan

BettoSan

Updated. I remember that it was possible to avoid rain inside. How do I do this version? The rain particles pass through the meshes with collider and Default Layer.
    Under overpasses and marquees, can you avoid rain?
    I adjusted the particle effect's position in the weather type, but it doesn't work, as we have overpasses and marquees with different heights.
    Is there a Trigger script for the camera to disable the effect?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  15. cuttinged

cuttinged

Can you use unistorm with a two player split screen game? Also does it work with URP? I'm using Unity 2019.4 Thanks.

16. BHS

BHS

I'm looking into HDRP support as it would require everything to be rewritten.

17. BHS

BHS

When I submit UniStorm to the Asset Store, it is required to state which RP the asset uses/supports. It's apparent that this information is not visible to the public so I will add it to the asset's description.

18. BHS

BHS

I'm aware of this and I'm looking for a solution. I believe this has to do with the Unity version defines that makes the editor tab buttons compatible with Unity's previous editor and newer editor. However, for some reason, these don't work on Linux making them get skipped entirely.

Within the UniStormEditor script, find the line below and remove it:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. #if UNITY_2019_3_OR_NEWER
    Also, remove the following which is undeath the above line:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. #else
    3. #endif
    Try using just this line in place of what was removed above:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. TabNumberProp.intValue = GUILayout.SelectionGrid(TabNumberProp.intValue, TabButtons, 5, SelectionGridStyle, GUILayout.Height(32), GUILayout.Width(80 * Screen.width / Screen.dpi));
    Please let me know if this resolves the Linux issue so I can make an update to fix it.

19. BHS

BHS

This most likely has to do with UniStorm's Wind Controller. You can try disabling it or setting all Wind Intensities within each Weather Type to the same value so there is no change in wind intensity. Some assets have custom wind controllers that are based off of some values of the available Wind Zones. It's possible that UniStorm's is causing some sort of interference.

20. BHS

BHS

Sorry about this. I'm looking for a solution. You can try the solution I posted here to see if it works for you:

21. BHS

BHS

I'm working on adding proper URP support. As of right now, the atmospheric fog, auroras, and cloud shadows do not work in URP. I will be fixing this with an up coming update. Mobile is supported, but I am working on adding more options to balance visuals and performance with the next update.

tonywalsh likes this.
  22. BHS

BHS

Weather effects have collision detection on them by default, which should stop them from going through objects. If they are still going through objects, you may need to increase the height of your particle effects' position. These can be set within each weather type that use particle effects under the Effects option. Sometimes the particles are being spawned in or below the collider they need to collide with which doesn't allow them to collider properly.

If you want to disable or enable all weather effects entirely, there's API to do this which is explained here: https://github.com/Black-Horizon-St...m/wiki/UniStorm-API#changeweathereffectsstate

23. QJaxun

QJaxun

I am having a weird graphical issue using the latest Unistorm. Using Unity 2020.1.10, Built in pipeline. I am able to see objects through terrain as transparent black or gray. They kind of fade in and out as I move around (using a FPS controller). If I disable modules on the UnistormSystem object, the glitch goes away temporarily, but will come back after a few play sessions. I am using a terrain (made using Map Magic 2) with the standard unity terrain shader.

It seems related to AO (I am using pp stack v2), but disabling AO, or post-processing entirely has no effect.

Image of grass detail objects placed on the other side of the hill from the camera/player.

unistorm_bug.jpg

24. BHS

BHS

I'm working on proper URP support. As of right now, the atmospheric fog, auroras, sun shafts, and cloud shadows do not work in URP. I haven't tested UniStorm with two player split screen, but it would require some modifications. Each camera would need its own atmospheric fog image effect and sun shaft image effect, which could just be referenced from the main UniStorm player. If the players each move separately, you would need to create an additional sun and moon for the second player based off of their current position like what is done with the main UniStorm player. This would be within the UniStormSystem script.

25. BHS

BHS

I just responded to your email regarding this :) Sorry for the delay, I've had a lot of emails.

26. SSL7

SSL7

@BHS I have a big issue because my player is spawn in scene at telerports (so player is destroyed and recreated) and I can't seem to be able to initialize unistorm again (Tried the InitializeUnistorm method with many issues arrising). Any way to fully initialize after player is instatiated during game?

What I tried is this code which gets the player/camera and adds the audio and effects, but the effects gameobject that adds is empty, so I get errors

Code (CSharp):
    1. PlayerTransform = null;
    2.             PlayerTransform = GameObject.FindWithTag(PlayerTag).transform;
    3.             PlayerCamera = GameObject.FindWithTag(CameraTag).GetComponent<Camera>();
    5.             yield return new WaitForSeconds(0.4f);
    7.             UniStormAudioMixer = Resources.Load("UniStorm Audio Mixer") as UnityEngine.Audio.AudioMixer;
    8.             UniStormAudioMixer.SetFloat("MusicVolume", Mathf.Log(MusicVolume) * 20);
    9.             UniStormAudioMixer.SetFloat("AmbienceVolume", Mathf.Log(AmbienceVolume) * 20);
    10.             UniStormAudioMixer.SetFloat("WeatherVolume", Mathf.Log(WeatherSoundsVolume) * 20);
    12.             //Setup our sound holder
    13.             m_SoundTransform = new GameObject();
    14.             m_SoundTransform.name = "UniStorm Sounds";
    15.             m_SoundTransform.transform.SetParent(PlayerTransform);
    16.             m_SoundTransform.transform.localPosition = Vector3.zero;
    18.             //Setup our particle effects holder
    19.             m_EffectsTransform = new GameObject();
    20.             m_EffectsTransform.name = "UniStorm Effects";
    21.             m_EffectsTransform.transform.SetParent(PlayerTransform);
    22.             m_EffectsTransform.transform.localPosition = Vector3.zero;
    The errors I get is the following:

Code (CSharp):
    2. MissingReferenceException: The object of type 'ParticleSystem' has been destroyed but you are still trying to access it.
    3. Your script should either check if it is null or you should not destroy the object.
    4. UnityEngine.Object.get_name () (at <2feaf16e80004e0cadae3f2e05f2a3fa>:0)
    5. UniStorm.UniStormSystem.TransitionWeather () (at Assets/UniStorm Weather System/Scripts/System/UniStormSystem.cs:2421)
    6. UniStorm.UniStormSystem.ChangeWeather (UniStorm.WeatherType Weather) (at Assets/UniStorm Weather System/Scripts/System/UniStormSystem.cs:2237)
    7. UniStorm.Example.WeatherTypeByTrigger.OnTriggerStay (UnityEngine.Collider C) (at Assets/UniStorm Weather System/Scripts/Examples/WeatherTypeByTrigger.cs:22)
    10. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    11. UniStorm.UniStormSystem+<ParticleFadeSequence>d__397.MoveNext () (at Assets/UniStorm Weather System/Scripts/System/UniStormSystem.cs:3244)
    12. UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (System.Collections.IEnumerator enumerator, System.IntPtr returnValueAddress) (at <2feaf16e80004e0cadae3f2e05f2a3fa>:0)
    13. UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine(IEnumerator)
    14. UniStorm.UniStormSystem:TransitionWeather() (at Assets/UniStorm Weather System/Scripts/System/UniStormSystem.cs:2493)
    15. UniStorm.UniStormSystem:ChangeWeather(WeatherType) (at Assets/UniStorm Weather System/Scripts/System/UniStormSystem.cs:2237)
    16. UniStorm.Example.WeatherTypeByTrigger:OnTriggerStay(Collider) (at Assets/UniStorm Weather System/Scripts/Examples/WeatherTypeByTrigger.cs:22)
    Also another issue is that when I have Aquas underwater effects enabled, the fog is not showing on Unistorm, I saw some posts from last year that you said you have the code ready to work, anything on this regard? thanks

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  27. QJaxun

QJaxun

Hey no worries, thanks for the response. Switching to deferred rendering (which I should have done anyway) fixed my problem. And let me say that this is an awesome package! After a couple days I have integrated into my game and I am loving the results.

28. BHS

BHS

There is included API that handles all of this for you and is explained here: https://github.com/Black-Horizon-St...stem/wiki/UniStorm-API#changeplayercomponents

You would need to change the player components before destroying your current player. You would then assign the newly created player and camera with the following code and then delete your previous player.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. UniStorm.UniStormManager.Instance.ChangePlayerComponents(Transform PlayerTransform, Camera CameraSource);
    I will have to look into Aquas underwater effect working with UniStorm's fog. Some image effects conflict with other shaders and it's more of a limitation with how shaders work than finding a fix for it.

29. BHS

BHS

Cool looking game!

Great to hear you figured it out and that you are enjoying UniStorm.

30. SSL7

SSL7

Maybe you mean UniStormManager.Instance.ChangeCameraSource ? there is no reference for ChangePlayerCompoenents.

Also my player cannot exist at the same time (it has to be destroyed before spawns again), is it mandatory to have the before and after player in scene at the same time? Should I temporary transfer them to another temporary player?

edit: Ok I made a custom script that transfers it to a temporary player that then I can run the ChangeCameraSource correctly to the new spawned player and get rid of the errors, but I have one last issue which is this error when changing to thunderstorm and thunder snow even though the Unistorm Lighting System is there:

Code (CSharp):
    1. MissingReferenceException: The object of type 'Transform' has been destroyed but you are still trying to access it.
    2. Your script should either check if it is null or you should not destroy the object.
    3. UnityEngine.Transform.get_position () (at <2feaf16e80004e0cadae3f2e05f2a3fa>:0)
    4. UniStorm.Utility.LightningSystem+<ThunderSoundDelay>d__41.MoveNext () (at Assets/UniStorm Weather System/Scripts/System/LightningSystem.cs:289)
    5. UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (System.Collections.IEnumerator enumerator, System.IntPtr returnValueAddress) (at <2feaf16e80004e0cadae3f2e05f2a3fa>:0)
    6. UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine(IEnumerator)
    7. UniStorm.Utility.<DrawLightning>d__40:MoveNext() (at Assets/UniStorm Weather System/Scripts/System/LightningSystem.cs:214)
    8. UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine(IEnumerator)
    9. UniStorm.Utility.LightningSystem:GenerateLightning() (at Assets/UniStorm Weather System/Scripts/System/LightningSystem.cs:207)
    10. UniStorm.UniStormSystem:Update() (at Assets/UniStorm Weather System/Scripts/System/UniStormSystem.cs:1766)
    11. MissingReferenceException: The object of type 'Transform' has been destroyed but you are still trying to access it.
    12. Your script should either check if it is null or you should not destroy the object.
    13. UnityEngine.Transform.get_position () (at <2feaf16e80004e0cadae3f2e05f2a3fa>:0)
    14. UniStorm.Utility.LightningSystem+<DrawLightning>d__40.MoveNext () (at Assets/UniStorm Weather System/Scripts/System/LightningSystem.cs:274)
    15. UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (System.Collections.IEnumerator enumerator, System.IntPtr returnValueAddress) (at <2feaf16e80004e0cadae3f2e05f2a3fa>:0)

Also, about the Aquas issue, is this something we ll have a fix soon or I should go for custom solution disabling the component etc temporarily?

thanks

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  31. aganm

aganm

Hi!

Is there going to be an official update for URP support?

I tried using it, most of it works but some parts don't work and I don't know how to fix them.

32. julesd

julesd

Yes all Asset Makers should be forced to post what render pipeline it works with, this is really annoying. Tired of looking for documentation that may say what pipeline, but may not as well.

33. maxson1029

maxson1029

Unity 2019.4 seems to think this is full of errors, is this incompatible on this version?

Edit:
    This was conflicting with some of my other assets for some reason, problem sovled :)

34. aganm

aganm

Which asset was it?

35. Boemak

Boemak

This does not seem to fix it.

I've tried multiple variations.

36. Ceylan12

Ceylan12

Hello, It is increasing build size like 30mb. Is it normal? How can I reduce it because I'm using it in mobile game. I'm using time system and clouds only. Just using single weather. Thank you.

37. BHS

BHS

Yes, ChangeCameraSource is correct. I updated the function name not too long ago.

You should be able to fix that error by opening the UniStormManager script and finding the line:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. UniStormSystem.Instance.PlayerCamera = CameraSource;
    And adding the following code underneath it:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. LightningSystem m_LightningSystem = (LightningSystem)FindObjectOfType(typeof(LightningSystem));
    2. m_LightningSystem.PlayerTransform = PlayerTransform;
    I don't have a fix at the moment, but I will look into a solution. If you need to disable UniStorm's fog for something like going under water, you can use:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. UniStormSystem.Instance.m_UniStormAtmosphericFog.enabled = false;

38. BHS

BHS

Yes, I'm looking into adding official URP support.

39. BHS

BHS

Sorry for the inconveniences.

My guess is that there's a bug with using GUILayout.SelectionGrid with Linux as every other editor code works.

If I had a Linux computer, I would figure this out myself, but I don't. I find it strange that other OS have no issues and this only seems to affect Linux.

You tried both GUILayout.SelectionGrid lines? Perhaps it's a size issue. Did you try adjusting the size of the buttons? The height can be controlled with GUILayout.Height(32) You can also try removing the , GUILayout.Width(80 * Screen.width / Screen.dpi) portion as maybe it's scaling the width incorrectly. If removing this makes the buttons visible, it's an issue with how Linux scales the width of the buttons as this works with windows and mac without issues.

40. BHS

BHS

Ensure that there are no sounds that are not being used within the UniStorm Editor. These could be Time of Day Sound located under the Time tab or thunder sounds located under Weather>Lightning Settings.

Ceylan12 likes this.
  41. cmbliu

cmbliu

Hi all,

I want to buy UniStorm, can anyone tell me if this asset include the FULL source code in C#?

Thank you

42. nu51313932

nu51313932

I also use Unistrom 4.0. Can I change the sun spot color?

43. QJaxun

QJaxun

I am wondering if you have any tips for me. I am using the latest Unistorm and am having trouble finding a water shader that works well with it. I am using deferred rendering so the transparent water shaders I have tried don't work with either the Unity or the Unistorm fog (I have tried Suimono, Aquas Lite and Stylized Water Shader assets). Are there any assets on the store that might work or do you have any tips for making a transparent water shader work with fog? I am using the built-in RP on Unity 2020.1.10.

(attachment shows the standard Foggy weather type set)

Attached Files:

44. GIS_Vejle

GIS_Vejle

I'm trying to get UniStorm to work with the Oculus Quest (don't know if it's possible and I can't find anything in this thread), so hopefully someone can help me. :) I've tried both the Multipass and the Multiview option but it fails on both versions.

I'm using the standard render on Unity 2019.4.15f1 and the Oculus template and the error appeared when I added Unistorm to the project and tried to build for Andriod - it gives me this error:

Shader error in 'UniStorm/Weather/Lightning Bolt': undeclared identifier 'sampler_CameraDepthTexture' at line 68 (on gles3)
    Compiling Vertex program with SOFTPARTICLES_ON STEREO_MULTIVIEW_ON
    Platform defines: UNITY_NO_DXT5nm UNITY_NO_RGBM UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_FRAMEBUFFER_FETCH_AVAILABLE UNITY_NO_CUBEMAP_ARRAY UNITY_NO_SCREENSPACE_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF2 SHADER_API_MOBILE UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER2 UNITY_LIGHTMAP_RGBM_ENCODING

Bear with me, since I'm more of a Graphic Artist doing drag'n'drog in Unity and not a coder at all o_O There are a couple of other errors also related to the "sampler_CameraDepthTexture" in the HIDDEN/POST FX

markfrancombe likes this.
  45. BHS

BHS

Yes, full source code is included in C#.

46. BHS

BHS

If you want to adjust the sun spot color, you need to update to UniStorm version 4.3.

nu51313932 likes this.
  47. BHS

BHS

If I remember correctly, fog may only work if the water isn't transparent (so it would have to render as opaque), which I know may not be desirable, but it should allow the fog to render on the water.

48. BHS

BHS

I haven't encountered this myself, but I Googled it and found that it can be fixed by doing the following:

Replace instances of this:
    uniform sampler2D_float _CameraDepthTexture;

With this:
    UNITY_DECLARE_DEPTH_TEXTURE(_CameraDepthTexture);

49. creat327

creat327

Ok, I decided to upgrade to Unistorm 4.3 and so far, bad idea. I can't get it to work on a mobile android phone properly and then I had to check the code and I found several big issues for mobile:

1) It's structured in a way that EVERYTHING is loaded into memory even if not used. For instance, you can disable cloud shadows and night mode (I don't use any of those for mobile). It doesn't matter. The code will load all night/stars textures and moon into the cell phone memory. It will also create the render textures and so on, for everything that you won't use at all. In short, it uses up most of your game RAM for things that are not even used. PLEASE: dynamically load textures instead of having them preloaded into a prefab.

2) Again, imagine I don't want shadow clouds or night stars. You could in theory edit the prefab and just remove those gameobjects from it. WRONG. If you do that, the code will begin to fail all over because even if you don't need them, the code will create textures and call on "update" all that unneeded junk. Solution? Put stars, moon, shadows and volumetric clouds into separate prefabs and load them only when needed. Modify the code so that if it's not used, don't create junk for them.

3) In the old days, I had unistorm running super fast on iPhone 4. The sky was a skydome which rendered perfect and fast on mobile and VR. Nowadays, it seems to only allow for a computed shader. This has a HUGE impact on performance and it won't work on old devices. Most of the androids where I've tested, the sky is rendered as a white blob of nothiness. They don't support the computer shader. Is there a way to add a sky dome like before?

50. markfrancombe

markfrancombe

ME TOO...
    Im watching this here. I rcently dropped Unistorm into a Quest project Im working on, and it generatd a bunch of errors so I just muted it and got back to real work.
    At some time Im gonna have to turn it back on an see if it can work as my time of day code. I dont REALLY need the weather but.. well if its free.. why not. But... VR... URP... AND multiplayer... I have a few tricky needs..
    Watching along.