Search Unity

[RELEASED] UniStorm 5.2 - AAA Volumetric Clouds, URP Support, Weather, Sky, Atmospheric Fog, & More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BHS, Jan 27, 2012.

1. brianleewilliams

brianleewilliams

when i try to set a custom skybox in rendering/lighting panel, it changes back to the generic unistorm skybox in play mode. I can't find any setting that is causing this to happen. Does unistorm override my skybox material at runtime?

2. Barritico

Barritico

Hello.

My game has an in-vehicle camera and an external camera. Only 1 is activated at the same time. Both have as tag "maincamera"

When the game starts, it applies the weather to the camera loaded first. If I tell him to make a "delay" to the car. If I don't tell you ... to the one on the ground.

The fact is that later there is no way to alternate the cameras with the weather. I have not been able to do it even by code.

Is there a way to have more than one camera and to switch between them, with the weather applied?

Thanks

3. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

Hi @BHS ,

i would like to expose setting for players to setup fog density, or to toggle it On/Off... How would you do that with Unistorm !?

4. BettoSan

BettoSan

I want to find a reference to the position of the sun, to use in a script that will turn lights on and off as it goes day or night.

Can anyone help? What's the script? Line?

I'm trying through the UnistormSystem.cs script line 1639
    if (TimeOfDayUpdateTimer >= TimeOfDayUpdateSeconds)

Maybe it was "Transform m_CelestialAxisTransform;" but I can't talk to it.

This script is in a prefab and should make a reference to the UniStorm sun. It is possible?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2021
  5. Barritico

Barritico

While I wait for the previous answer, I put another question.

Editing changes do not appear to be reflected in the scene. You have to put the game in "play" to be able to make changes and appreciate them.

Is that so or am I doing something wrong?
    Thank you.

6. StenCG

StenCG

Thanks for your reply, I'll look that way.

upd.
    well, it's more complicated, however I tried Built-in rendering instead of URP and it worked correctly now.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2021
  7. zippin

zippin

I have put away some time for this and I just check it, genuinely sorry, since I was talking off the top of my head I did not point you in the right direction, if you searched for MonoOrStereoscopicEye you would have found it, or read entire SunShafts pass and shader code. I admit it would be a bit hacky. It is like 4 lines of new code and one line modified, or a couple of lines added/modified in com.unity.render-pipelines.universal code and one line modified in UniStorm. Sorry to hear you move to Built-in, URP should be a better path for a VR game (someone else might know better - just my opinion).

Anyway I am just going to stop posting with solutions/directions off the top of my head, and continue only when I get back to working with this.

Until then, all the best.

Attached Files:

8. Hi! Great asset, I especially like the special 'weather conditions' like fire storm and stuff.
    My question is: any approximate timeline to realize the HDRP support? Months? Quarters? Years?

9. ml785

ml785

Is it possible to make this Blizzard effect
    with this system?
    More specifically: heavy fog blowing sideways with heavy snow blowing sideways in the same direction

10. BHS

BHS

Yes, to remove this, comment out the following line within the UniStormSystem script:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. RenderSettings.skybox = m_SkyBoxMaterial;

11. BHS

BHS

There is a built-in way to do this.

Only have your main camera be the one that has the Main Camera tag as well as with your player and its Player tag.

When you need to switch camera sources, use the following code. This will also work when switching back to the previous camera source. Just ensure you pass the correct camera and player transform that you will be using.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. UniStorm.UniStormManager.Instance.ChangeCameraSource(Transform PlayerTransform, Camera CameraSource);

LuiBroDood and Barritico like this.
  12. BHS

BHS

All fog is controlled based on the current weather type. To override this, comment out the following lines within the UniStormSystem script:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. FogCoroutine = StartCoroutine(FogFadeSequence(5 * TransitionSpeed, CurrentWeatherType.FogDensity, false));
    3. FogCoroutine = StartCoroutine(FogFadeSequence(5 * TransitionSpeed, CurrentWeatherType.FogDensity, true));
    You can then control the fog density through the Unity RenderSettings:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. RenderSettings.fogDensity = YourFogValue;

Vagabond_ likes this.
  13. BHS

BHS

Using the sun's and moon's intensity might be easier.

Code (CSharp):
    1. if (UniStorm.UniStormSystem.Instance.m_SunLight.intensity > 0)
    2.    //Disable lights
    4. if (UniStorm.UniStormSystem.Instance.m_MoonLight.intensity > 0)
    5.    ///Enable lights
    If you want to use m_CelestialAxisTransform, since it's private, you can use:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. UniStorm.UniStormSystem.Instance.m_SunLight.transform.parent

14. BHS

BHS

I'm aiming for January to February of 2022 for HDRP support.

15. BHS

BHS

This is entirely possible. All you have to do is add custom particle effects to a weather type and UniStorm will use them. You could even use the particle effects from that video and just assign them to a weather type to get the same effect.

WeatherTypeEffects.png

ml785 likes this.
  16. BHS

BHS

Changes within the UniStorm editor are set during initialization. If you want runtime editing, play the scene and then adjust the settings within the UniStorm Editor. To save the settings, use a UniStorm Profile: https://github.com/Black-Horizon-St...les#importing-or-exporting-a-unistorm-profile

Barritico likes this.
  17. DMeville

DMeville

Hi, new to Unistorm and have been playing around with it for a few days. I'm mostly interested the cloud rendering for my project, for URP. My question is, is there a way to actually light the clouds from below? I am trying to achieve a bit more dramatic of sunsets, especially the effect where the undersides of the clouds get a vibrant orange/red/pink colour (kind of like this underlighting effect: https://i.imgur.com/fpHp1jg.jpg) but it seems as soon as the direction light is below the horizon the lighting fades out before I can get that right angle.

Is this possible somehow? I've attached a screenshot of my current Unistorm setup, it's just the sample scene though, and it does look great so far, but I'd really love to push it a little bit farther. Any tips are appreciated!

Attached Files:

18. MagiJedi

MagiJedi

@BHS Can you please provide comment on Single Pass Instanced support for this product in 2020+?

fendercodes and pierre92nicot like this.
  19. Anikki

Anikki

Would it be possible to structure the Atmospheric Fog Rendering in such a way that it could be integrated more easily into custom transparent shaders, i.e. put the methods that calculate it into .hlsl files and put any references to shader properties into their function signatures? Maybe add even a generic little guide how to integrate the fog with such shaders.

20. mmorsi

mmorsi

Greetings! First off thanks for this great plugin. We purchased and integrated it successfully in our upcoming game.

I am having one issue though, which seemingly is related to this. Specifically tabs are not appearing under the "Uni Storm System" script inspector properties in the Editor. See the attached image for what I am seeing. I am running the latest version of the plugin on Unity 2021.1.24f1.

If you could please advise, it would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

21. mmorsi

mmorsi

I noticed relating to the above, when I remove and then readd the Unistorm System Script to the game object, the following warning about 'upgrading appears' (see first attached screenshot)

Clicking the button does nothing other than hiding the warning.

When I following the instructions and click: Window > Unistorm > Create Unistorm (Desktop). A new component appears which has different subsections but no tabs (see second attached screenshot)

Attached Files:

22. CurryKitten

CurryKitten

I'm following up on my issue I was finding in Unity 2020 and Unistorm. I actually found that using a Gamma colour space would work ok, but Linear failed. However, I've got further along in looking at the problem taking it right back to basics and creating a new 2020 project, importing Unistorm and using the demo scenes. Doing this it appears to be an issue with Metal (I'm doing my development on a mac - and so Metal is the standard graphics API)

I recorded this short video to demonstrate the issues I'm seeing.

As you can see, when I run with Metal we don't see any clouds at all. The whole system is also incredibly sluggish and we see an error in the console:

Invalid pass number (2) for Graphics.Blit (Material "PostFX - Temporal Anti-aliasing" with 1 passes)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent (int,intptr,bool&)

When I switch over to OpenGL we do see clouds, the system runs nicely without the lagging and there's no error message. Simply moving to OpenGL isn't really an option as iOS has to use Metal. Hopefully with this error message, it's something fixable?

23. dustinandrew

dustinandrew

@BHS Is it possible to have volume based localized weather while still keep the global weather effects? Basically can you play two weather types at the same time?

Some of the weather effects are not really weather but effects, like Lightning Bugs, Dust Storm, Fire Rain, Auroras, Blowing Leaves, etc.. I'd like to be able to have these trigger in a zone/area, while at the same time keep the global weather. For example: Walking into a forest during a storm would trigger blowing leaves, but globally still a storm. Or its a cloudy night globally, but walking into swamp area would also trigger Lightning Bugs.

24. ymdghk

ymdghk

In Unity, as soon as I run Steam VR, "Error Core | 2DArray Texture to 2D texture Property '_MainTex': How should the Dimensions must match problem be solved

25. AJMaceikaBrightLine

AJMaceikaBrightLine

Hey guys I am having issues with getting this running in VR. It is showing only in one eye and not sure why its not working? I have all my settings set as they should be.

26. MagiJedi

MagiJedi

Still waiting on an official response from @BHS

There's more details up-thread, but if I understand correctly, it has to do with the blit functionality being deprecated in more recent releases of Unity (2020+, I think).

27. DarkRides

DarkRides

lts 2020.3.x version volume cloud is not displayed. Please repair it.

28. Abdulmajeed01

Abdulmajeed01

Hi
    How to use climate zone?

29. valentin56610

valentin56610

@CurryKitten I am feeling you man, working on my MacBook Pro 16" with the M1 Pro which is the only computer I have and my game needs to be available on all platforms (Mac/Windows/Linux) and this is ruining it for me

Any solution to this? Cause currently this asset is to no use to me ...

30. mmorsi

mmorsi

I still haven't found a solution to getting the tabs to appear (tried multiple unity versions, installing/reinstalling the plugin, etc) but did figure out a workaround.

In the Unity, select the GameObject which has the "Unistorm System (Script)" attached, and then in the inspector window, click the three vertical dots. Selected "Debug" (See the attached screenshot).

Screenshot from 2022-02-05 21-05-40.png

This will enable access to all properties in the script, including all properties on all tabs.

If you wish to get the "simpler view" (without all properties) of a specific tab, scroll down until you find the "Tab Number" property and change it to the appropriate value:

- 0 for Camera Settings
    - 1 for Time Settings
    - 2 for Weather Settings
    - 3 for Celestial Settings
    - 4 for General Settings

Screenshot from 2022-02-05 21-07-23.png

Click the three vertical dots next to inspector again and select "Normal" and whala... the tab is switched.

Hope this helps!

31. SeemDima

SeemDima

Hello!
    How can I control rain and fog? Without changing the rest of the weather, except 'UniStormManager.Instance.ChangeWeatherInstantly'.

32. nu51313932

nu51313932

How to render unistorm cloud and sky and celestial in the second camera? (main camera depth 0) (second camera depth -1)

33. valentin56610

valentin56610

i found a solution for Metal
    Simply disable the Post Processing script for UniStorm that will do :)
    It is the Anti Aliasing more exactly that causes this issue
    All was good once I disabled it

34. EricWilliams

EricWilliams

None of the controls in the inspector work during runtime, is there an event or something that needs to be run in a script in order to update the adjusted settings?

Does this weather system allow the camera to go above the clouds?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2022
  35. Markklarsen

Markklarsen

Hey @BHS when will the URP get a fix, hoping to get the cloud shadow to work?

36. marcjammy

marcjammy

Hi, Unistorm is broken on game-start using URP 2021:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    UniStorm.UniStormSystem.Start () (at Assets/UniStorm Weather System/Scripts/System/UniStormSystem.cs:463)

Is there a fix?

37. ppukku999

ppukku999

I got it working with Lux water hehe.

38. Ksanone

Ksanone

Hi, any ETA on bug fix for URP as mentioned here?

https://github.com/Black-Horizon-Studios/UniStorm-Weather-System/wiki/Setting-up-UniStorm-with-URP

Setting up UniStorm with URP

Black Horizon Studios edited this page on 28 Nov 2021 · 35 revisions

"Note: (Unity 2020.3 (LTS) and Unity 2021 Only) Due to a current bug (that's in the process of being fixed), when importing the URP Support UnityPackage, uncheck the UniStorm Weather System>Materials>Celestial and UniStorm Weather System>Materials>Clouds folders before pressing the Import button."

39. Haapavuo

Haapavuo

I am getting loads of errors on Unity 2021.2.5f1 with URP after upgrading UniStorm to URP (without the Celestial & Clouds materials).

Code (CSharp):
    1. A non-multisampled texture being bound to a multisampled sampler. Disabling in order to avoid undefined behavior. Please enable the bindMS flag on the texture.
    2. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent (int,intptr,bool&)
    This mainly occurs when selecting any of my Camera objects from the Hierarchy view. I have separate Cameras for FPS view, Weapon rendering and UI. Any ideas on how to fix this?

EDIT: Fixed by changing Depth Priming Mode to Forced.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2022
  40. BHS

BHS

You need to assign your camera and/or player object to UniStorm.

Ksanone likes this.
  41. BHS

BHS

Hey everyone,

My apologies for the delay of the URP update. UniStorm 5.2.0 is now live and addresses the URP issues from the previous update.

• Fixed an issue that sometimes didn't allow clouds and celestial objects to work after updating to the URP version of UniStorm.
    • Fixed an issue that sometimes didn't allow auroras to work properly after updating to the URP version of UniStorm.
    • Fixed a bug that sometimes allowed duplicated Render Features to be added after updating to the URP version of UniStorm.
    • Added a menu item Window>UniStorm>Add URP Renderer Features to Add Renderer Features to the assigned Render Pipeline Asset.
    • Added a UniStorm URP prefab that can be spawned into scenes through Window>UniStorm>Create UniStorm (URP)

42. nu51313932

nu51313932

hello. i still have problem with 2 camera. the cloud render in both 2 camera make fps drop

43. dustinandrew

dustinandrew

@BHS Thanks for all the hard work on the URP update, its working great.

Question, Is it possible to render between the clouds and sky?

I have some planet debris rocks at a far distance that I need to render behind the clouds. I've messed with my planet rock shader/material to find the best sorting and render order, but no luck so far. Seems the cloud shader renders on a projected sphere based on camera position, then renders on the sky material?

44. sthansson

sthansson

Attached Files:

45. BHS

BHS

Hey there,

Are you using URP or the standard render pipeline? Are you receiving any errors? Have you ensured you’ve assigned your player and camera objects either directly or with the specified tags through the UniStorm editor?

46. BHS

BHS

See the Aura shader as it is able to render between the clouds and stars. You could also look at the star and moon shaders as they render similarly to the cloud shader, but at a different render queues.

47. sthansson

sthansson

Hi! Big Thanks for the quick reply.
    Yes we are running URP.
    And Yes I do get one error in the console!

I dont know if I have.. Although I am opening all the demo scenes and none of them are working. And I would assume that the player and camera objects then would be assigned. Those scenes worked brilliantly when we ran unity 2020 which is just a week ago. So I was sort of assuming that in those scenes all of those things would be set up fine.

Attached Files:

48. BHS

BHS

Strange, can you please tell me the steps on how to recreate this? Did you update to URP first and then update to 2021? The other scenes should still be working, even after updating.

49. sthansson

sthansson

Hi.
    So what we did. First we were running unity 2020.3.26 URP. Then I installed the 5.1.0 version. I followed the instructions for installing on URP. And it worked well.

Then we upgraded to 2021.2.18. And all of a sudden nothing worked. Everything looked white when pressing play. Then after reading a bit on the asset store I understood that I needed to have 5.2.0 version. So then I uninstalled and reinstalled with version 5.2.0 instead. And no change. And after That I've tried uninstalling and then installing 5.2.0 version multiple times. Nothing has worked..

Btw. Come to think of it. Will try to do an uninstall. And then clear the library. And then do a reinstall to see if that makes any difference.

50. sthansson

sthansson

I tried now to reimport the library. That did not make any difference.
    I dont know if this helps to figure out whats wrong. If I hide the "UniStorm Volumetric Clouds" Object I will at least see the sky again. So I think there is something fishy with the clouds. As you can see in the picture posted here. The clouds are actually missing a texture in their material. Maybe this is as it should be? Dont know if this helps to figure out the problem.

Attached Files: