Search Unity

[RELEASED] UniStorm 5.2 - AAA Volumetric Clouds, URP Support, Weather, Sky, Atmospheric Fog, & More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BHS, Jan 27, 2012.

1. RAZD112

RAZD112

yeah it probably it .
    right now it looks they fighting who going to take control on the fog underwater but the question is how can i do what u said ? thanks for replying

2. Hardik-somani

Hardik-somani

Hey BHS,
    cloud shader not working in mac os build,i check in windows it's work fine,but problem in mac os build.

3. BHS

BHS

You can try commenting out the portions of code that Aquas is using to control the fog.

Strange, I'll need a little more information.

Are you receiving any errors?
    What version of Unity and UniStorm are you using?
    What exactly do you mean by not working, are they not visible?
    Is the cloud shader working okay in the Editor on Mac?

4. Hardik-somani

Hardik-somani

Thanks for reply,
    Not any errors.
    unity 5.6.2 and unistrom:1.8.4.
    not visible.
    working fine editor on mac but not in mac build.

5. BHS

BHS

It's most likely not working because you are using a version is about two years old. I would recommend updating to the newest version of UniStorm. The current version is 2.4.1.

6. Hardik-somani

Hardik-somani

OK...Thanks.!

7. gegebel

gegebel

Could we get an update with independant Desktop and Mobile versions? Added to this, you still rely on ImageEffects while they have been removed from Standard Assets in favor of Post-Processing Stack, would be nice to remove the dependency here as it is useless.

PS: Why does UniStorm create a player when setting it up?
    Example player for demo is cool, but not when you import into a scene with another player already in. It's more confusing than helping.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    MarkusGod likes this.
  8. BHS

BHS

Hey there!

A new version of UniStorm is being worked on that will not be dependent on Unity’s Image Effects. This new version will also have a new biome system and a new fully procedural cloud shader.

UniStorm does not create a player during the setup process. You are referring to the Create UniStorm System option, which creates an example system with an example player.

UniStorm has a setup system that suppprts most character controller systems and sets things up automatically. This can be found by going to Window>UniStorm>Auto Player Setup.

Here’s UniStorm’s setup system setting up with UFPS. The process is just as easy with other character controllers.

Please let me know if you have anymore questions.

Corvwyn, JBR-games and gegebel like this.
  9. gegebel

gegebel

@BHS I wanted to use the Climate Zone in a new Scene and was astonished when reading the script, that you hardcoded the temperature limit for snowfall using 32° Fahrenheit. It might seem logical to you but I use Celsius and it will never snow in this case. maybe you can make it dependent on the Temperature Mode instead of hardcoded.
    Of course I can change it myself in the code, but I don't like to mess around in other peoples code tbh.

I didn't see a triggerExit so when you leave the zone, the weather stays the same I guess? wouldn't it make sense to revert it to normal ? unless you enter a new climate zone of course.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  10. BHS

BHS

The Climate Zone system is a bit dated. It sounds like 32° Fahrenheit for snowfall is a bug. The Climate Zone was created before the Celsius temperature type was added and it sounds like it was never updated to include Celsius. UniStorm uses both Celsius and Fahrenheit for all of its other examples and weather types. It will be updated with the next update.

A new climate system is being worked on for the next update that will be more customizable and support endless biomes, similar to Crux (https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/79350).

JBR-games and gegebel like this.
  11. BHS

BHS

Hey everyone!

If you're looking for a tutorial that covers integrating UniStorm with Ultimate Survival, The Messy Coder has made one. This will allow Ultimate Survival's time of day system to use UniStorm's time. There are also additional options to allow the sleeping/resting system to work with UniStorm's time in the video's description.

12. Barry100

Barry100

@BHS I am starting the day at around 12 in the day. The sun intensity always starts at 0 and gradually rises to the desired amount according to the intensity curve. How can I make the intensity start at what is expected on the curve?

13. BHS

BHS

Hey there!

Strange, it should automatically set the sun intensity according to the hour. I’ll look into what’s happening and provide you a solution when I find one.

14. SSL7

SSL7

@BHS I use a script to disable Unistorm prefab from scene because of some dungeons I have in the same scene and I don't want light from sun etc. The problem is that, if it is raining, and I disable the root Unistorm object from scene, the rain keep coming down to my dungeon. How could I totally start/stop Unistorm from a scene? thank you.

15. WatchYourVector

WatchYourVector

Hello,

I had a couple questions to help me decide whether this asset is right for me:
    1. Is weather simulated across an entire given area on the scene, or only where the camera is pointed towards?
    2. Are there actual particles falling from the sky for rain, snow, etc?
      1. Just to be clear here, can I add code to detect collision between said particles, and objects I have on the ground, for example?
    3. Does this work for non first person games where the camera isn't focused around a single character.
    I'm trying to make a tycoon style game, with a terrain the size of 500x500 unity units. There is no single player on the terrain, but rather, the user manages multiple objects on scene. As a result, I would like the weather to work across the whole terrain, regardless of where camera is zoomed in on. Would this asset meet my needs?

16. BHS

BHS

You can try disabling UniStorm's Sun and Moon gameobjects to disable the lights. To disable UniStorm's particle effects, you just call DisableParticleEffects() and EnableParticleEffects() to enable them again. I will work on adding more to the API to do things like disable the sun and moon lights.

Hey there!

1) Yes, but the particle effects are attached to the camera which allows the weather to always be with the it. I'm not sure how this would work across an entire terrain. I'm not sure how particle effects would be with performance if they were simulated across the entire terrain. You could have a larger area just around the camera which should give you the results you're looking for.

2) Yes, particles have collisions and are already enabled allowing them to collide with all objects. Rain has rain splashes on collision.

3) Yes, it works with multiple kinds of camera setups.

Please let me know if you have anymore questions.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
    WatchYourVector and JBR-games like this.
  17. WatchYourVector

WatchYourVector

Thank you for the detailed reply. I was hoping that perhaps I can decouple it from the object with the camera, and link it to a central, invisible, object on the terrain.

I do hear what you are saying about this not being the most performant approach though. I don't really need to simulate weather in areas camera isn't looking at, although I do want to have multiple areas around the terrain have accumulations and after-effects of water and snow.

So if it stops raining and then the user rotates the camera to an object behind them, they should still see traces of that object being wet because it was raining a second ago, even though rain wasn't being simulated on them. I guess I can accomplish this by just having a rain state, and not needing actual rain to be simulated everywhere.

P.S. The other main issue I will have, is that the player's camera can currently look at a very large area when zoomed out. I can probably limit the zoom out distance, but am worried that the weather radius won't reach out to the edge of visible distance.

18. BHS

BHS

The particle effects can be anywhere. It doesn't just have to be on the camera or player. You can also increase the area it falls so you could move it where it's needed to give the appearance that it's covering the entire terrain.

For rain and snow accumulation, you would use a shader that would slowly build up over time. You would just increase a shader value when the rainIntensity or snowIntenisty variables are greater than 1.

As for zooming out, I'm not sure how that could be handled so the particle effects are visible at a large distance. You could possible increase the particle effect's falling area as the player zooms out so that the effects are only covering a large area when a player is zoomed out.

19. audible

audible

Hello. I'm having an issue where my fog density is progressively decreasing when in Foggy, Rain or Thunderstorm weather until no fog is visible. Fog in the morning/evening is fine. I'm currently using static weather and stopped time.

20. BHS

BHS

Hey there!

Very strange, I haven't yet heard of this issue.

What version of Unity and UniStorm are you using? I can certainly take a look at this to see if I can figure out what's going on.

21. RoyArtorius

RoyArtorius

Any new info on the ETA of this update? :)

22. BHS

BHS

Well, the UniStorm 2.5 update will resume development after the Emerald AI 2.0 update is finished. So, the 2.5 update should be finished within the month of December.

23. wood333

wood333

Quick question: How do I control (lower) the "ambient" light in Unistorm?

24. BHS

BHS

You use the Gradient Ambient Light Source. This is located under Lighting Options.

wood333 likes this.
  25. BHS

BHS

26. keyboardcowboy

keyboardcowboy

@BHS I have version 2.4.1 of UniStorm. In the mobile demo and if I bring in the UniStorm prefab into a scene, none of the particles for any of the weather systems render. Do these work on mobile?
    They are working fine in the desktop version.

27. claudiorodriguescampos

claudiorodriguescampos

Hi, I use the option "Thunder Storm or Snow Storm Winter" in the Weather options, I set the temperature to 0, but I got rain in the Scene (I suppose the Thunder Storm is activated), but I want snow in my scene. How I got that snow in my scene?
    ps: I integrate UniStorm with Invector Third Person Shooter.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  28. montyfi

montyfi

How can I increase amount of clouds in mostly cloudy?
    I would like the clouds to close whole sky, but yet to be able to see the sun. I tried foggy mode, it is almost what I want, but in that mode the sun is not visible at all. And mostly cloudy is not really "mostly"

SSL7 likes this.
  29. BHS

BHS

Strange, do you have both the Desktop and the Mobile folder imported? If not, this may be why. They’re supposed to have the option to be individually imported, but if there are issues, I can certainly release an update to fix it.

Hey there!

If I remember correctly, it may have to be winter in order for it to snow. I’ll check this out to figure out what’s going on though.

Currently, the clouds have static intensities. However, I’m working on a new fully procedural cloud shader that only uses one cloud dome. No two clouds will be the same. It has the ability to take in the sun angle and its direction into the cloud’s shading. The intensities for clear, mostly clear, partly cloudy, mostly cloudy, and stormy will all be adjustable by the user through the UniStorm Editor. The clouds also look much better and are thicker than the current version. Best of all, the new shader preforms much better than the current version and there are far less triangles due to only using 1 cloud dome.

UniStorm 2.5 will resume development as soon as Emerald AI 2.0 is finished, which should be within the next couple of weeks.

TheSeawolf and SSL7 like this.
  30. montyfi

montyfi

I'm scared now. Your solution is the only one cloud solution in the store that renders perfectly in VR. I really hope it will continue to work in VR in future too.

31. BHS

BHS

I’m almost certain the new cloud shader will render perfectly fine with VR as it uses a similar method as with the previous version. I own Oculus Rift. I will personally test it today to ensure it works alright. Continued support with VR is top priority.

montyfi likes this.
  32. BHS

BHS

I can confirm that the new procedural cloud shader works great in VR. This was tested using Oculus Rift.

montyfi likes this.
  33. keyboardcowboy

keyboardcowboy

Yes, both Mobile and Desktop folders were installed during the import from the asset store.

34. C_p_H

C_p_H

Hello @BHS,

Which water system would you recommend for best compatibility with UniStorm?
    I'm investigating Suimono, Hydroform Ocean System, and Ultimate Water System(UWS preferred because of its ability to interact with falling rain drops and wind, etc).

35. BHS

BHS

Strange, I’ll take a look at it for you tomorrow and provide you with a solution.

I’m not sure as UniStorm users use all said water systems and I haven’t personally tested any of them. They should all work. I’ve reached out to the developer of UWS as I have had more users ask about it. Once the developer responds, and I can get a copy of UWS, I can make a tutorial for integration. I’ll be sure to let you know when this happens, if you’re interested.

wood333 and C_p_H like this.
  36. C_p_H

C_p_H

That would be incredible to know, greatly appreciate your understanding. Thanks!

37. claudiorodriguescampos

claudiorodriguescampos

@BHS, You said that is necessary to be winter to Snow, how I can set the season to Winter? I didn't find it in the tutorials.
    I see the "UniStorm Dynamic Snow Example" scene, the temperature value is set to 80 Fahrenheit, but when I play the scene in the editor, the value change to 20.
    In my scene I set the value to 0, but when I play the scene, the value changes to 79, why is that happening?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  38. BHS

BHS

You're welcome!

Actually, it doesn't need to be winter in order for it to snow, this was added a couple updates back. As long as the temperature is at or below freezing it should snow. When setting your temperatures, ensure that the current temperature is at or below freezing on start. The current temperature can be seen within the editor at the top.

If you are using the Simple temperature setting, you need to make sure your starting temperature is at or below freezing. Temperatures will fluctuate throughout the day. It will be warmer during the day and colder at night. These are all factors that might affect snowfall. I have tested this using the current version (2.4.1) and I can get snow in the summer months with both the Simple and Advanced temperature settings.

39. claudiorodriguescampos

claudiorodriguescampos

@BHS, I set the Temperature Control Type to simple and set all values to 0. It works now. Thank you.

40. BHS

BHS

Great to hear it’s working for you and you’re welcome.

41. SSL7

SSL7

@BHS will you support MicroSplat/MegaSplat weather changes ?
    seems kinda straight forward.

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  42. BHS

BHS

Yes, support for CTS was added with the last update and support for MicroSplat and MegaSplat will be added with the 2.5 update.

wood333 likes this.
  43. BHS

BHS

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  44. BHS

BHS

Thanks, I guess I was mistaken. I’ll update the post.

45. jbooth

jbooth

Hey, let me know if you need any help with these! I just added a global system to MicroSplat, so it should be very easy to interface with this..

BHS and SSL7 like this.
  46. BHS

BHS

Hey there!

Thanks, will do and sounds great!

wood333 likes this.
  47. mkgame

mkgame

@jbooth
    There is a trouble with Microsplat wind waves. If the sun goes up/down there is a time range where the wind turns black. If I just using a directional light, set the intensity up/down the wind color stays stable, but not with UniStorm.

@BHS
    Also hard to maintain the color in the scene with UniStorm. I can set the light color for sun and moon but between them the color is undefined (white/gray) ? This is the time where the Microsplat wind waves turns black. In this time range the normal maps going to be very intensive. That looks bad too.

Could you somehow fix this time range? Maybe allow us to skip it and smoothly changes the light intensity and color to the moon color? If the sun has yellow color mixed in, that I can add to the moon too to avoid changing the base color, but in my trouble time range I cannot set the color and my models on the scene acts differently to this color change.

Day time, looks okay.
    bandicam 2017-12-09 01-46-45-170.jpg

Between day time and night time (transition) looks bad:
    bandicam 2017-12-09 01-46-29-288.jpg

Night time with just a directional light (no UniStorm) looks good:
    bandicam 2017-12-09 01-47-35-720.jpg

48. BHS

BHS

Hey there!

By default, the sun sets before the moon rises and the moon sets before the sun rises. You can fix this by adjusting the moonlight and sunlight intensity line graphs. Adjust the moon or sun so they have an intensity greater than 0 by the time the other light source has risen. If you need a visual example of this, I would be more than happy to provide one. This should give you better results when transitioning between night and day.

49. wood333

wood333

I have had a possibly related issue between sun and moon shine, where one water asset I was using would go completely black. I had to compensate with an extra directional light set at an extremely low intensity.

Edit: your response above seems to contain the solution.

50. mkgame

mkgame

I'm already played around with the curves, the time range where the sun/moon intensity is too low is shorter but still exists. Not just the wind waves in Microsplat turns black, also Dynamic Fog, Fog Volume. In Enviro I could fix this by Enviro settings, but I needed an all around good looking day/night/weather system and that's yours. So, I set the curves to constant 2 for sun and constant 1 for moon, the issue still exists.

Now I also see that 2 directional lights are at the same time active, sun and moon. That is wasted performance, could we have just one light at the same time active?

Hint: I know there is a time range in real life where we have a very dark phase, sun down and sun still not enlights the moon , but in game reality we do not want this, just causes trouble.

Edit: Why do you not just make a color/intensity over time for one light, as Enviro it does?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017