Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[70% OFF!] UniStorm 5.2 - AAA Volumetric Clouds, URP Support, Weather, Sky, Atmospheric Fog, & More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BHS, Jan 27, 2012.

1. KarloE

KarloE

Got clouds to move. Don't know why, but values like aniamtionrate and cloudb for example were set to some weird weird values. I might have set up something wrong I dont know.

2. TDH_DrThirteen

TDH_DrThirteen

when can we expect unistorm 1.8.4?

3. karaokefreak

karaokefreak

Hi
    I have a peculiar problem with UniStorm / Unity 5
    Everything seems to work fine exept for two things

1) Clouds do not move at all (only stormy clouds do)
    2) the sun comes back too early.

In my Project, the moon rises about a quarter into the sky and then - BAM - the sunlight comes back, although stars are still visible. THis means the sun is visible again plus blue sky, and the sun will even overtake the moon and set again before the night is over. It will return again when daytime officially starts. it is as if there were 2 suns.

All I changed so far is the duration of a day, which i set to three minutes in order to watch the day-night cicle.
    How can this be fixed?

Thx for your help.

By the way
    There is practically NO transition from clear sky to heavy storm clouds. The clouds just pop up. in an instant. Can this be changed?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
    ksam2 likes this.
  4. karaokefreak

karaokefreak

Sorry, But I found more things that have to be fixed (please take a look at my previous post first)

1) Sunshafts look great but don't match the position of the sun

2) No matter which time you set up as start time for the cycle, Unistorm will always start the day at a fix time, which depends on which general daytime you choose (morning, day, evening, night). So it is impossible to let a day start at 12 or at 2pm, since "day" will always start at 9am, while "evening" will start at 5pm, no matter what. Even if that is the only way to do it, it were great if you added another value (high noon) or maybe even a few more.

[EDIT] Actually, the only good solution is an exact starting time, or else this skydome is rendered useless for all games with time management. What if you leave a dungeon at 2pm and come back to a freshly loaded overworld? Either you rewind to 9 am or fast forward to 5pm... totally unacceptable, sorry.

I don't want to lessen your achievements with this great asset, but man, I can't be the only one seeing this major flaw. [/Edit]

3) Since Unistorm does't setup a cubemap for the sky's background, you will always see unity's grey horizon when ascending to greater hights. Maybe I just forgot to change something in the rendering options or so. If that is the case please tell me, if not, then please think of a solution.

Thanks for the support, this is a big asset after all, it's normal for it to have a few flaws here and there. Looks great otherwise!.

ksam2 and DesertRaven like this.
  5. KarloE

KarloE

Hey karaokefreak,

I just sent you my fix for the clouds not moving, feel free to try it out and let me know if it works for you.

Cheers :)

6. karaokefreak

karaokefreak

Thanks man, I'll try it out tonight!! Appreciated!

KarloE likes this.
  7. BHS

BHS

Great to hear. We'll be sure to fix it with UniStorm 1.8.4. It's strange because everything is working in scenes we test.

Thanks for all the suggestions, on both of your posts. We will be sure to fix the remaining issues with UniStorm 1.8.4.

I'm not sure why the clouds aren't moving but in the scene I just tested they're working fine. We will fix this, as well as everything else, asap.

With #2, you need to make sure you add the UniStorm sun to the Sun component in the Lighting options under environmental settings within Unity. If you don't, it grabs the light source from the moon when it becomes bright enough.

Also, what version of UniStorm are you using?

karaokefreak likes this.
  8. karaokefreak

karaokefreak

Aahh, great. Now it works. As usual, the bug sat in front of the keyboard , hehe.
    And guess what. Setting up the sun in U5 fixed most of my problems. Clouds started moving, sun shafts seem to be displayed correctly and stormy clouds stopped popping up from nothing.

Awesome! BTW: I use the latest version of unistorm, just downloaded it (again) the day before yesterday

Now I have only one of the old issues left (exact starting time of a day ) and one new issue. This new one isn't directly your fault, but it is something I hope you can fix.

I have to choose one camera for UniStorm's setup. But my project also supports oculus rift, which utilises two cameras at the same time for stereo rendering. Now that the sun is set up correctly, It all works right with a standard camera. But with Oculus, I have a big sun blur on one camera, but not on the other. All FX kick in on both, since I gave both cameras all the scripts. It all works. Exept for the huge sun blur, because i can only define one target camera in unistorm. I hope you can add a stereo-cam option. Otherwise, I probably cannot use Unistorm with oculus, because the impression on both cams need to be the same for a good 3D-Effect..

Guess you didn't deal with oculus before, right.? Well, I have one, but you don't have to own a device in order to try it in unity. The editor shows what both eyes see once you just drag the Oculus Camera- prefab into a scene - its all free.

if you wonder how other assets work with rift - well, both cameras are children of a so called "center eye" , and the center eye is child of the "OVR-Camera Rig". Most of the time, the rig is addressed. but I guess when it comes to rendering, you'll have to just allow two target cameras.

Would you do that? After all, a sticker saying "oculus rift ready" makes your asset even more attractive, doesn't it...

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  9. karaokefreak

karaokefreak

Hey BHS
    If you DO decide to try to get oculus rift working with unistorm, there are things that I can help you with, since the firmware of oculus rift was originally made for Unity 4. So you might bump into a (small) problem. But I wanna spare you the time

All you have to do is as follows:
    1) Download the official software (its a package for unity) from the oculus rift page. All you need is the runtime for your operating system and the unity integration package- See here:
    https://developer.oculus.com/downloads/

2) Install the runtime and Import the custom package into a unity 5 project. Drag the OVR-Camera Rig Prefab into the Scene. If you happen to get an error in the console saying that two of the oculus scripts address "space", although that is not valid, then just open both scripts by double clicking on the error message. All you have to do is change the term "Space" into "WorldSpace" (in both scripts) - and you are good to go.
    It is very likely that version 0.5 of the oculus package already fixed this. I have not updated yet (never change a running system...)

You don't need the Oculus headset to program stuff for it. The editor will render the same picture, anyway.
    And here is a picture showing how it looks like once I press play, and why I need two rendering targets. Please note that for a 3D-Vision, the eye positions are switched. The right eye is on the left hand side and vice versa. This is the default setting, I just mention it in order to prevent confusion in the setup.
    z-oculusSkySetup2.jpg

10. webik150

webik150

Hey! I know you're pretty busy lately, but I have a question.
    Are you planning on implementing a fix for tonemapping? Right now it looks awesome, until it gets dark. Since the tonemapping script has no idea that it's night, it brightens everything, making everything look very weird.

EDIT: Also, I would like to confirm that the clouds won't move.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
    DesertRaven likes this.
  11. DesertRaven

DesertRaven

Hmm, somehow the ambient light isn't changing at night, e.g. walls are not getting darker at night. Am
    I missing something? Edit: I was analysing your sample pictures in the asset store of the Viking Village, Looks like the same issue there too, the walls are basically the same lit up, day and night.
    So I think the ambient light is not being processed right.

Clouds weren't moving until I changed the speed in the Unistorm system editor.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
    ksam2 likes this.
  12. gameplay4all

gameplay4all

Hey Unistorm!

Awesome product! :)

I would like to ask people of this forum for help, my storm clouds look like this:

I have used the standard prefab that came with the latest update (downloaded yesterday) and have changed almost nothing except for some color values. HDR is enabled on my camera and I am using a two camera setup with far enough clipping distances.

Thanks!
    (And also something to quick-fix: the release notes on you wiki need to be updated!)

13. Stranger-Danger

Stranger-Danger

@gameplay4all

I'm not 100% sure, but download Unistorm again on a fresh project. That is an old issue from 1.8.2.

P.S BHS, when will I get emailed the beta features? :)

14. Sphelps

Sphelps

15. DesertRaven

DesertRaven

BHS, you on holiday?

16. BHS

BHS

We have a customer who is currently using OR with UniStorm and he says everything is working great. As far as I know, you need to make sure you have both cameras equal. This goes for image effects and far clipping plane.

The reason you are seeing the sun shafts in one and not the other is because UniStorm changes and adjusts the sun shafts throughout the day. The other camera isn't being adjusted.

We plan on adding full OR support to UniStorm. We will get the package and test things out.

You need to make sure you properly setup the Sun under the Lighting Options. Others have said this fixes the issue.

This is an old issue from UniStorm 1.8.2. Updating UniStorm to 1.8.3 will fix your issue.

We don't accept them manually. It should accept it automatically. We will make sure you're approved.

The ambient light is changing. It worked in our demos and screenshots. You need to make sure your Light Probe is updated every frame, at least that's what works when using GI.

If not, change your ambient source to Color rather than Skybox.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  17. BHS

BHS

UniStorm 1.8.4 will be released within the next week or so. We have some new awesome features, some bug fixes, and more support. We will post the release notes closer to when we submit UniStorm 1.8.4.

18. ksam2

ksam2

I've never seen a buggy asset like this ever. Why lots of bugs?

19. BHS

BHS

Which bugs are you having? Please list them because no one is bugs other than the people who haven't updated to the latest version.

ksam2 likes this.
  20. ksam2

ksam2

Sorry but I've had some issue that gave lots of my time. But now I get this and don't know where is the problem

Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. UniStormWeatherSystem_C.WeatherForecaster () (at Assets/UniStorm/Scripts/UniStorm Systems/UniStormWeatherSystem_C.cs:4092)
    3. UniStormWeatherSystem_C.Update () (at Assets/UniStorm/Scripts/UniStorm Systems/UniStormWeatherSystem_C.cs:1134)

21. Sphelps

Sphelps

Still not able to get in?

22. ksam2

ksam2

I get this error after importing. How can I solve it?

Assets/Standard Assets/Editor/Image Effects/ColorCorrectionCurvesEditor.js(85,49): BCE0004: Ambiguous reference 'ColorCorrectionCurves': ColorCorrectionCurves, ColorCorrectionCurves.

23. Sphelps

Sphelps

Import effects asset

24. ksam2

ksam2

I've done that. but it's not for that.

25. webik150

webik150

Duh... I had to drop the tonemapping because of too many problems... I've done some testing, and few times it looked better when setting the ambient by skybox, but then the shadows were too dark. Also, sometimes, the screen would go instantly black at night, and it would stay like this even when the sun came out.

I'll go back to Dota I guess :/

26. BHS

BHS

It sounds like you're having image effect import issues. It's unrelated to UniStorm, but you keep to reimport the image effects.

I'm not sure how the Tonemapping works, but we will try to see if we can get support with UniStorm 1.8.4.

27. sheffieldlad

sheffieldlad

I'm also unable to access the unistorm forum. I've registered but not been approved

28. BHS

BHS

We looked for your registration email but couldn't find anything. You should be accepted automatically. Try reregistering.

You can also use the Unity forums here. We tend to be on here more.

29. BHS

BHS

UniStorm 1.8.4 has been submitted and is awaiting approval.

We have included a lot of much need fixes, features (including our first part of Dynamic Wind), and a redone Editor. Dynamic Snow and Dynamic Wind (for trees) will come with UniStorm 1.8.5 after we have completed our beta testing. Those of you who have sent us emails regarding our beta for Dynamic Wind and Snow will be getting an invite shortly.

UniStorm 1.8.4 Release Notes:

New Features:
    * Added Night Length to Editor. Night Length allows you to have a seperate length for night than days. This allows for shorter or longer nights than days and vice versa.
    * Added Starting Night Hour to UniStorm Editor. This allows you to choose when UniStorm switches to Night Length.
    - Added warning message if night hour is set incorrect
    * Added Starting Day Hour to UniStorm Editor. This allows you to choose when UniStorm switches to Day Length.
    * Added visual display, in time format to the Editor, that displays Starting Day and Starting Night hours.

* Categorized all UniStorm Options into collapsible buttons according to the below:
    - Time Options
    - Weather Options
    - Wind Options
    - Atmosphere Options
    - Fog Options
    - Lightning Options
    - Temperature Options
    - Sun Options
    - Moon Options
    - Precipitation Options
    - GUI Options
    - Sound Manager Options
    - Color Options
    - Object Options

* Added the first part of Dynamic Wind the the UniStorm Editor. This allows the terrain's grass to use Dynamic Wind (This is an on going feature and we will be adding support for dynamic wind with trees with UniStorm 1.8.5). This allows the grass's wind to slowly switch to the stormy settings making it wave faster and stronger.
    * Added Wind Options to the UniStorm Editor.
    - Added Normal Wind Grass Speed to the UniStorm Editor.
    - Added Stormy Wind Grass Speed to the UniStorm Editor.
    - Added Normal Wind Grass Size to the UniStorm Editor.
    - Added Stormy Wind Grass Size to the UniStorm Editor.
    - Added Normal Wind Grass Bending to the UniStorm Editor.
    - Added Stormy Wind Grass Bending to the UniStorm Editor.

* Added separate Sun intensity sliders for precipitation and fog weather types.
    - Add Precipitation Sun Intensity to the UniStorm Editor.
    * Added separate Moon intensity sliders for precipitation and fog weather types.
    - Add Precipitation Moon Intensity to the UniStorm Editor.

* Added Lightning Bugs as the new summer weather type.

Fixes:
    * Rewrote the main UniStorm Scripts and put all weather controlling variables into 2 functions FadeOutPrecipitation and FadeInPrecipitation. This greatly reduces the redundancy of the code.
    * Adjusted various weather numbers to better transitions between different weather types. Also adjusted numerous colors within the main UniStorm System to blend much better with other colors. The effect is now much more realistic.
    * Switched to Unity 5's new C# Image Effects and added proper support with UniStorm.

Changes:
    * Removed Enable Options from editor
    - Moved Time Stopped under the Time Options
    - Moved the Static Weather under Sky Options
    * Removed Calendar Option Tab from Editor
    - Moved Calendar Options under the Time Options
    * Removed Weather Odds Tab from Editor
    - Moved the Weather Odds under Sky Options
    * Renamed Sky Options to Weather Options
    * Reverted back to custom UniStorm Sun. Using the procedural Sun object didn't allow the Sun Shafts image effect to work properly.
    * Removed the butterflies weather type and replaced it with Lightning Bugs as the new summer weather type.

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  30. BHS

BHS

UniStorm 1.8.4's new Dynamic Wind (Part 1)

Here we demonstrate the first part of Dynamic Wind, Dynamic Windy Grass. The wind for the terrain's grass will increase, to the value set within the editor, during precipitation weather types. After a storm, the wind will return back to the normal values according to what's set in the Editor.

UniStorm 1.8.4 also has a separate controllable Sun Intensity for precipitation weather types. As you can see, shadows and the sun light are still visible while it's raining. We have also done the same for the moon light.

We have also improved the particle effects, in-script fading numbers, in-script colors, and more to create better looking storms and transitions.

The next part of Dynamic Wind will consist of full Wind Zone support so trees will also be affected by Dynamic Wind. Dynamic Wind for trees is currently in beta.

If you have any suggestions for UniStorm, please post them here.

Newer updated video a few posts down

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  31. Hikiko66

Hikiko66

What wind properties are you playing with for the trees? I notice a hiccup.

I am currently using Main and Turb dynamically for the windzone.
    I set PulseMag and PulseFreq at startup, but I don't play with them after that.

For the Grass I use Strength and Amount dynamically, but I don't touch the speed after I have initialized it.

The reason I don't use these properties dynamically is because when I tested them they caused hiccups, abrupt state changes and very weird effects when being changed on the fly.

The properties I use dynamically change gradually, and potentially every frame.

What is your experience with the various properties?

Last edited: May 9, 2015
  32. BHS

BHS

The hiccups are due to the variables that are accessible through Unity. They don't allow seamless changes. With Dynamic Wind, for trees, we will be able to slowly increase all variables within the wind zone component. This is done by hacking the wind zone shader and making the API visible so we can alter them. With this there will be no hiccups or noticeable changes. It will be seamless.

Because of the hacking, we want to do a beta test with quite a few customers to make sure that hacking the wind zone doesn't cause any issues or bugs. If all goes well with the beta tests, we will add this to UniStorm 1.8.5.

We will demonstrate dynamic wind for the trees later today. Those who wish to test the dynamic wind for trees can have early access by emailing their invoice numbers for UniStorm. We will then send you the unitypackage file containing the test scripts.

33. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

Hello,

So if I change the position/ rotation of the direction light for the sun, at runtime it goes to some code position, How do I change the transform of the sun and have it stay there at runtime?

34. BHS

BHS

You change it by using the Sun Rotation under the Sun Options. It is set according to this rotation.

SunRotations.png

35. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

Cool thanks for the response

36. webik150

webik150

One thing, just to be sure: Under the lightning options I select Sun_Moon as sun right? Otherwise I can only select sun glare.

37. BHS

BHS

Yes, just the Sun_Moon object.

38. BHS

BHS

UniStorm 1.8.4's new Dynamic Wind Demo

Here we demonstrate Dynamic Wind that alters the terrain grass and the trees. The wind for the terrain's grass and trees will increase, to the value set within the editor, during precipitation weather types. After a storm, the wind will return back to the normal values according to what's set in the Editor.

UniStorm 1.8.4 also has a separate controllable Sun Intensity for precipitation weather types. As you can see, shadows and the sun light are still visible while it's raining. We have also done the same for the moon light.

We have also improved the particle effects, in-script fading numbers, in-script colors, and more to create better looking storms and transitions.

If you have any suggestions for UniStorm, please post them here.

MarcusWatson likes this.
  39. BHS

BHS

Updated demo

UniStorm 1.8.4 Demo info:
    To test out the newest update, play the webplayer below. This allows people to test UniStorm 1.8.4 and all its features before they buy. This demo is intended to show UniStorm's potential. So, it is a pretty dense forest scene with trees, grass, and rocks. We have also add tons of dynamic sounds to demonstrate UniStorm's powerful Sound Manager. You can also test out our Dynamic Wind system that really adds power to the storms UniStorm generates.

By pressing F12 you can open up the UniStorm Manager that tells you all the UniStorm weather information like current temperature, current weather, and current time. You are also able to generate random storms and weather with the Random Weather button.

Controls are WASD

(Updated menu toggle to M instead of F12)
    Playable UniStorm 1.8.4 Demo with Dynamic Wind (125mb):
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/xni1ntr48l3nt96/UniStorm (1.8.4) Demo.html

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  40. allenallenallen

allenallenallen

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  41. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

Hello,

I have vehicles in my game, which means that there are different cameras, so how would I transfer all the rain effects that are currently on the disabled player?

42. BHS

BHS

When switching cameras, you would simply take the tranform.position of the currently active camera. Your particle effects would then all take this transform.

43. BHS

BHS

UniStorm 1.8.4 has been accepted and is now live on the Asset Store. With this we release our first part of Dynamic Wind and much more!

UniStorm 1.8.4 Demo info:
    To test out the newest update, play the webplayer below. This allows people to test UniStorm 1.8.4 and all its features before they buy. This demo is intended to show UniStorm's potential. So, it is a pretty dense forest scene with trees, grass, and rocks. We have also add tons of dynamic sounds to demonstrate UniStorm's powerful Sound Manager. You can also test out our Dynamic Wind system that really adds power to the storms UniStorm generates.

By pressing F12 you can open up the UniStorm Manager that tells you all the UniStorm weather information like current temperature, current weather, and current time. You are also able to generate random storms and weather with the Random Weather button.

Controls are WASD

(Updated menu toggle to M instead of F12)
    Playable UniStorm 1.8.4 Demo with Dynamic Wind (125mb):
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/xni1ntr48l3nt96/UniStorm (1.8.4) Demo.html

UniStorm 1.8.4 Release Notes:

New Features:
    * Added Night Length to Editor. Night Length allows you to have a seperate length for night than days. This allows for shorter or longer nights than days and vice versa.
    * Added Starting Night Hour to UniStorm Editor. This allows you to choose when UniStorm switches to Night Length.
    * Added Starting Day Hour to UniStorm Editor. This allows you to choose when UniStorm switches to Day Length.
    * Added visual display, in time format to the Editor, that displays Starting Day and Starting Night hours.

* Categorized all UniStorm Options into collapsible buttons according to the below:
    - Time Options
    - Weather Options
    - Wind Options
    - Atmosphere Options
    - Fog Options
    - Lightning Options
    - Temperature Options
    - Sun Options
    - Moon Options
    - Precipitation Options
    - GUI Options
    - Sound Manager Options
    - Color Options
    - Object Options

* Added the first part of Dynamic Wind the the UniStorm Editor. This allows the terrain's grass to use Dynamic Wind (This is an on going feature and we will be adding support for dynamic wind with trees with UniStorm 1.8.5). This allows the grass's wind to slowly switch to the stormy settings making it wave faster and stronger.
    * Added Wind Options to the UniStorm Editor.
    - Added Normal Wind Grass Speed to the UniStorm Editor.
    - Added Stormy Wind Grass Speed to the UniStorm Editor.
    - Added Normal Wind Grass Size to the UniStorm Editor.
    - Added Stormy Wind Grass Size to the UniStorm Editor.
    - Added Normal Wind Grass Bending to the UniStorm Editor.
    - Added Stormy Wind Grass Bending to the UniStorm Editor.

* Added separate Sun intensity sliders for precipitation and fog weather types.
    - Add Precipitation Sun Intensity to the UniStorm Editor.
    * Added separate Moon intensity sliders for precipitation and fog weather types.
    - Add Precipitation Moon Intensity to the UniStorm Editor.

* Added Lightning Bugs as the new summer weather type.

Fixes:
    * Rewrote the main UniStorm Scripts and put all weather controlling variables into 2 functions FadeOutPrecipitation and FadeInPrecipitation. This greatly reduces the redundancy of the code.
    * Adjusted various weather numbers to better transitions between different weather types. Also adjusted numerous colors within the main UniStorm System to blend much better with other colors. The effect is now much more realistic.
    * Switched to Unity 5's new C# Image Effects and added proper support with UniStorm.

Changes:
    * Removed Enable Options from editor
    - Moved Time Stopped under the Time Options
    - Moved the Static Weather under Sky Options
    * Removed Calendar Option Tab from Editor
    - Moved Calendar Options under the Time Options
    * Removed Weather Odds Tab from Editor
    - Moved the Weather Odds under Sky Options
    * Renamed Sky Options to Weather Options
    * Reverted back to custom UniStorm Sun. Using the procedural Sun object didn't allow the Sun Shafts image effect to work properly.
    * Removed the butterflies weather type and replaced it with Lightning Bugs as the new summer weather type.

MarcusWatson likes this.
  44. Sphelps

Sphelps

I don't think the ingame UI thing works for the weather change!

45. BHS

BHS

You press F12 that should open up the UniStorm Manager. If you press the Random Weaher button, it'll change the weather.

46. Sphelps

Sphelps

Yea I have unistorm just the GUI in the demo is different from the one I downloaded just now

47. Sphelps

Sphelps

And can some one please do a demo or help me sync the weather time and temp across the unity network

48. BHS

BHS

We've updated the UI to use M instead of F12. It should work now.

49. BHS

BHS

You need to sync the startTime variable.

50. BHS

BHS

Here's the new screenshots of UniStorm 1.8.4 and its new and improved lighting,Time of Day, and skies. We have also revamped the weather and added Dynamic Wind. In case you missed it, you can play the fully featured UniStorm 1.8.4 Demo with Dynamic Wind here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/xni1ntr48l3nt96/UniStorm (1.8.4) Demo.html

Here's a video of the 1.8.4 demo:

We have also redone the Editor with collapsible categories.

Last edited: May 15, 2015