Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[70% OFF!] UniStorm 5.2 - AAA Volumetric Clouds, URP Support, Weather, Sky, Atmospheric Fog, & More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BHS, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Davidbillmanoy

Davidbillmanoy

@BHS I'm making a car game. How can I put rain pellets on cars and make rain particles from wheels?

2. BHS

BHS

UniStorm already has rain splashes by default that should collide with everything in your scene. If your game has the option to choose the weather and you would like the rain effect to only appear when it's raining you would do something like this (Keep in mind this is just a quick example):

Code (JavaScript):
    2. private var uniStormSystem : GameObject;
    4. function Start ()
    5. {
    6.     uniStormSystem = GameObject.Find("UniStormParent_JS/UniStormSystemEditor");
    7. }
    9. function Update ()
    10. {
    11.     if (uniStormSystem.GetComponent(UniStormWeatherSystem_JS).weatherForecaster == 3)
    12.     {
    13.              //It's raining, enable rain splashes for wheels.
    14.             //Alter car physics to be more slick because it's raining
    15.     }
    16. }

3. Davidbillmanoy

Davidbillmanoy

I prefer C#.

4. webik150

webik150

Rly? There are two lines of code.
    Here's C#
    Code (CSharp):
    1. private GameObject uniStormSystem;
    2. void Start ()
    3. {
    4.     uniStormSystem = GameObject.Find("UniStormParent_CS/UniStormSystemEditor");
    5. }
    6. void Update ()
    7. {
    8.     if (uniStormSystem.GetComponent(UniStormWeatherSystem_CS).weatherForecaster == 3)
    9.     {
    10.              //It's raining, enable rain splashes for wheels.
    11.             //Alter car physics to be more slick because it's raining
    12.     }
    13. }
    DISCLAIMER: I've only edited the JS code above. I'm not responsible for if it kills your children.

sheffieldlad and judah4 like this.
  5. auroxi

auroxi

I hope this Unity 5 version comes soon, been waiting a while now.

Maybe you guys should think of doing what some others do and have a page where you can enter your Asset Store invoice number and get access to the latest code. :)

6. paulojsam

paulojsam

unistorm isnt unity 5 compatible yet id assume...

7. auroxi

auroxi

1.8.3 is...and it has already been submitted twice to the Asset Store. We're just waiting for Unity to hurry up and approve it now.

8. paulojsam

paulojsam

thanks you, that good to know auroxi!

9. BHS

BHS

We have been sending the updated shaders and fixes to our customers who PM us or email us BlackHorizonStudios@juno.com with their invoice number for UniStorm. If you'd like the shaders you can do the same and we will send them to you.

No, it is with UniStorm 1.8.3. It's fully compatible and we have utilized a lot of Unity 5's new features. We are posting the update notes below.

That would be something you would do with shaders. You could check the Asset Store to see if there is a shader available. You would do what we did with the code to enable or disable it according to the weather.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  10. Davidbillmanoy

Davidbillmanoy

I mean car rain pellets like this:

What about rain percent? The more rain percent, the more wet the car and the road is, the more rain splash from tyres, and the less grip they have.

11. BHS

BHS

Since we didn't get around to it before, here's the full update notes for UniStorm 1.8.3 with full Unity 5 support.

UniStorm 1.8.3 (Unity 5)

New Features:
    * UniStorm now fully supports Unity 5.
    * Added full support of some Unity 5 features (This is an on going process).
    * UniStorm now uses Physically Based Shading for the sky.
    * Added Atmosphere Options to the UniStorm Editor.
    * Added Sky Tint Color to the UniStorm Editor
    * Added Ground Color to the UniStorm Editor
    * Added Atmosphere Thickness adjustment to the UniStorm Editor
    * Added Exposure adjustment to the UniStorm Editor
    * UniStorm now uses the Skybox shader's sun for its sun.
    * Added an option to adjust the Skybox Sun's size via the UniStorm Editor.
    * Sun Shafts have now been fully implemented and will now work with Free/Personal.
    * UniStorm now uses and fully support for Unity 5's Global Illumination.
    * Pro Only options are now fully functional with Free/Personal versions of Unity.

Fixes:
    * Updated the Dynamic Light Cloud shader to be fully compatible with Unity 5.
    * Updated the Dynamic Storm Cloud shader to be fully compatible with Unity 5.
    * Updated the Base Storm Cloud shader to be fully compatible with Unity 5.
    * Sun Shaft's position has been fixed and is now based off the Skybox Sun's position.
    * UniStorm will automatically apply the new updated Procedural Skybox to UniStorm
    * Increased Editor cap on Max Heavy Rain to 5,000 instead of 2,000.
    * Increased Editor cap on Max Heavy Snow to 3,000 instead of 1,500.

Changes:
    * Removed gradient dome color options as it is no longer used.
    * Removed Sun Glare. UniStorm's sun is now based off the Skybox Sun.
    * Removed (Pro Only) from color options that used to require pro.

Olander and sheffieldlad like this.
  12. Xtense

Xtense

Hey guys,

You mentioned you would be sending the updated asset for those who request it by email or in a message. Could you check if you received anything from @intermarum.com? We haven't heard anything back unfortunately with our request.

Best Regards,
    Xtense

13. BHS

BHS

It's been sent. For some reason your email was automatically put into the junk mail folder.

14. BHS

BHS

UniStorm 1.8.3 has been accepted and is now live on the Asset Store. This update adds full support for Unity 5.

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/2714

UniStorm 1.8.3 (Unity 5)

New Features:
    * UniStorm now fully supports Unity 5.
    * Added full support of some Unity 5 features (This is an on going process).
    * UniStorm now uses Physically Based Shading for the sky.
    * Added Atmosphere Options to the UniStorm Editor.
    * Added Sky Tint Color to the UniStorm Editor
    * Added Ground Color to the UniStorm Editor
    * Added Atmosphere Thickness adjustment to the UniStorm Editor
    * Added Exposure adjustment to the UniStorm Editor
    * UniStorm now uses the Skybox shader's sun for its sun.
    * Added an option to adjust the Skybox Sun's size via the UniStorm Editor.
    * Sun Shafts have now been fully implemented and will now work with Free/Personal.
    * UniStorm now uses and fully support for Unity 5's Global Illumination.
    * Pro Only options are now fully functional with Free/Personal versions of Unity.

Fixes:
    * Updated the Dynamic Light Cloud shader to be fully compatible with Unity 5.
    * Updated the Dynamic Storm Cloud shader to be fully compatible with Unity 5.
    * Updated the Base Storm Cloud shader to be fully compatible with Unity 5.
    * Sun Shaft's position has been fixed and is now based off the Skybox Sun's position.
    * UniStorm will automatically apply the new updated Procedural Skybox to UniStorm
    * Increased Editor cap on Max Heavy Rain to 5,000 instead of 2,000.
    * Increased Editor cap on Max Heavy Snow to 3,000 instead of 1,500.

Changes:
    * Removed gradient dome color options as it is no longer used.
    * Removed Sun Glare. UniStorm's sun is now based off the Skybox Sun.
    * Removed (Pro Only) from color options that used to require pro.

Olander likes this.
  15. paulojsam

paulojsam

its possible to have both a skybox and unistorm working, and how, i mean like using the clouds feature but with a static skybox

16. Pryzmeister

Pryzmeister

After adding uniStorm 1.8.3 to my scene in unity 5 , i see the sky and clouds etc, however everything in my scene is very dark, almost black. I have tried changing time of day in case its just night time.

Process i followed is
    -Imported package
    -Clicked Window-UniStorm, added a c# weather system.
    Went to the window-lighting screen and set the sun_moon as the sun source object
    Turned Ambient setting slider to 1
    Set the skybox object to be ProceduralSky

My world is very large, so i needed to scale the cloud dome up up- i did this by scaling the CloudParent object (is this correct?)

Also i am using RTP and have followed the suggestions for that, however it is not just the terrain that is too dark, but everything else also.

It is too dark in both editor and game view as can be seen in the following image

Anyone have any clue why?.. admittedly this is my first time using UniStorm.

Attached Files:

17. BHS

BHS

UniStorm uses a Physically Based Skybox shader (with Unity 5) that isn't based on textures. If you are using UniStorm version 1.8.2 with Unity 4 it could work. We've never tried it.

I'm not sure. It could have something to do with the color settings. When we were testing, we never had a dark terrain that looked that dark. It could be the RTP.

What it might be is how fast your reflection probes are updating. I think this also controls how fast the light is updated. Set it to a faster amount and see if this helps.

18. Sphelps

Sphelps

I am using UFPS and trying to spawn with the Unistorm system.
    The Example scripts does not work.

19. Olander

Olander

@BHS
    Very nice update to UniStorm! Much improved. Thank You

20. sheffieldlad

sheffieldlad

Try turning global fog off.

21. TechCor

TechCor

Unistorm looks great! However, I need to sync it across players. There is mention of documentation for networking somewhere, but I can't find it, and there appear to be over 400 variables to check. Hopefully someone can save me some time?

22. Sphelps

Sphelps

Yea @TechCor I would like to see this and work on the docs some

23. BHS

BHS

You need to sync the startingTime variable.

We are working on improving the network section of the wiki.

You're welcome, good to hear you're liking UniStorm.

24. md-ford

md-ford

Is there any option yet to use "real" light during storms etc instead of just ambient, or will I have to code it in myself?

25. BHS

BHS

Real light is used during a lightning storm. UniStorm uses a directional light source for tge lightning. This should also work with Global Illumination when a lightning strikes.

26. md-ford

md-ford

Sorry I didnt make myself clear. I understand the lightning is "real" and that looks great with shadows. The problem is I dont want to use Ambient light hardly at all, So during a storm in day time my scene is almost totaly dark. It shouldnt be a problem as I can probably just edit the script to half the sun light level instead of turning it off.
    To clarify its the "sun light" during daytime and the fact it switchs to 0 intensity during foggy/light rain/storms/ and heavy rain, that causes me the problem.

27. drigger

drigger

I'm using Unity 5 and UniStorm 1.8.3. Following the directions on the Wiki for using UniStorm with Unity 5, I turned off the mesh renderer for the Gradient Skydome. My skys are gray all the time. If I turn the mesh renderer back on for the dome, they look nice and blue again. What am I missing?

Lynn

28. BHS

BHS

We plan on adding sun intensity control for precipitation weather types with UniStorm 1.8.4. This will be a slider that you will be able to adjust via the UniStorm Editor.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  29. BHS

BHS

Have you tried testing the demo scene we have supplied?

Could you please supply a screen shot of the issue you are having so we can further assist you?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  30. md-ford

md-ford

Thanks, that will be perfect. I originaly purchased Unistorm just as a time saver, as I could make a perfecly OK day/ night weather system. But I have to say it has become so much more than I thought, and has helped in bringing the project to life. It was well worth the money.
    One other thing, is there any way now to alter the horizon height?
    Thanks

31. odin60

odin60

I am having the same problem. My daytime skies are black / grey but my night sky is fine.

Also, I am getting the sun glare effect but can't see the sun itself.

32. odin60

odin60

My problem seems to have been a problem with the Skybox/Procedural Material. Creating a new one and adding it to Unistorm seems to have solved the problem.

Now I just need to figure out why the sun shaft is so strong.

33. BHS

BHS

Yes, we were going to reply that you need to make sure you have the proper skybox shader but it seems like you've figured it out.

34. BHS

BHS

We are in the process of further adding new features to UniStorm as well as fully utilizing Unity 5.

We have tons of new features that we are working on currently. If there are any new features or suggestions you'd like to make for UniStorm, you can post them here. We will do our best to see if they are a suitable fit for UniStorm so we can add them to the 1.8.4 update.

35. md-ford

md-ford

The ability to enable weather types On/Off via check box.
    I love Unistorm but in "my opinion" your butterflys suck ;), saying that I replaced them with an effect like "Oblivions Will o the wisps", and it works quite well. I also dont want snow, but that is easy to get around.
    Hail could be a nice feature and easy to do, with a particle like rain splash that bounces off colliders then becomes still for a while untill fading out, Just an idea lol.
    The ability to have more than one sun/moon, might appeal to some people.
    irregular sun/moon orbits, So you can have long days and shorter nights etc, more complex I know but would add to it a lot I think.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  36. pollolan

pollolan

37. BHS

BHS

Thanks for the suggestions. Some of these sound great. We will see what we can do.

I agree with the butterflies. They do need some work, but the Oblivion effect is a great idea. I think it'll look a lot better than the butterflies.

I think this is due to the API changes with Unity 5. We will update the script when we get a chance.

pollolan likes this.
  38. TheBlackBox

TheBlackBox

Hey, I was wondering how I could access the "time of day" (Meaning: morning, night, afternoon etc...)

I'm trying to increase an int when it is night time, and then set it back during the day, I was looking around for booleans to do this but could not find any.

Thanks,

- Brandon

39. reptilebeats

reptilebeats

nice one the update seems to fix all the problems with unity 5, i can finally import it into my project and see what happens nice job

40. reptilebeats

reptilebeats

one thing for the next update to make it fully unity 5 enabled is switch all the standard asset scripts to csharp, as unity switched a while ago.

41. BHS

BHS

42. BHS

BHS

Yes, we plan on doing this with UniStorm 1.8.4.

43. KarloE

KarloE

I got a problem, my clouds are not moving at all. Only storm clouds are moving, and partly cloudy clouds stay still no matter what I do.

Is that normal? If not, how to fix it?

I am using the latest version of UniStorm.

44. melonhead

melonhead

@BHS still have not recieved email about beta test rain on screen, i have emailed a few times

45. BHS

BHS

They should be scrolling, there's no reason why the shouldn't. Are you receiving an errors?

Also, you're Could Speed setting for the regular clouds is set greater than 0 correct? If it is, you may need to increase the speed to a higher number. Turn it all the way up to see if you can see them moving.

46. BHS

BHS

We sent out emails saying that we're not quite ready to start our beta test yet. After UniStorm 1.8.4 we will send out the downloads for beta features.

47. KarloE

KarloE

All that is correct. There are no errors.

Here is the scrolling code:

- removed by request

Here are screenshots of my inspector setup:

http://prntscr.com/6uj515

http://prntscr.com/6uj57f

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  48. BHS

BHS

Can you please remove our code from your post. There is nothing wrong with the code. It works.

Does the demo scene clouds work?

49. KarloE

KarloE

Oh, sorry! Haha, I completely forgot that you might not want the code public. :) Sorry about that.

Demo scene clouds are still too. We are using the latest unity version.

50. melonhead

melonhead

cheers, never recieved the email!!!