Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[70% OFF!] UniStorm 5.2 - AAA Volumetric Clouds, URP Support, Weather, Sky, Atmospheric Fog, & More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BHS, Jan 27, 2012.

1. BHS

BHS

Linear isn’t a problem. It just requires the detail intensity to be lowered as it’s more intense with linear color space.

I haven’t encountered this. What shader are you using for your character?

2. BHS

BHS

I haven’t check in a little while. I’ll look into HDRP and see if support is possible. It seems like a few more features have been added since the last time I checked.

3. Kaen_SG

Kaen_SG

4. Quast

Quast

Does UniStorm support LWRP ?

5. BHS

BHS

Thanks for the heads up. I'll look into this.

6. BHS

BHS

Yes, you just have to update some of the materials to the LWRP equivalents.

Quast likes this.
  7. neshius108

neshius108

@BHS: I tried even with everything set to the default:

upload_2019-12-3_23-10-34.png

- Default Sprite
    - Default Mesh Material
    - UniStorm / Unity Skybox

I think this could be connected to why my clouds behave weird too... Is there any setting which messes up the lighting of the cloudy preset?

FYI: This happens also on 2019.3.0f1 (and in 2019.2.12f1).

8. DropNodes

DropNodes

Thank you, let me know if you can reproduce or not because it's kinda annoying and closing for my alpha :)

A suggestion: Having a random starting time and a random starting month so each session is different when starting game

9. neodotca

neodotca

Hi, i want to know if i need to add the "Shaders" to the Project Settings > Graphics? thanks!

10. neshius108

neshius108

@BHS: I hate having to bother you this much but the clouds are really not working on my side...
    They look like this: upload_2019-12-6_1-44-30.png

What can I do? Even some "simple" and flat clouds would do (I tried volumetric and 2D and I don't notice any major difference, same for the quality settings in the clouds).

11. BHS

BHS

I have tried to recreate this, but I'm not having any clipping issues when using a sprite. The only issues I did see is when using the screen space cloud shadows feature so make sure this is disabled. Have you tried disabling the image effects to see if they are causing any issues?

As for your clouds, the Linear Color space just alters some of the noise that's generated. To fix this, you just have to lower some of the intensities with your cloud profiles.

Does this happen when you are testing the included example scenes? How can I recreate what's happening with this screenshot? If possible, can you send me video of what's happening as it's hard to tell from screenshots?

12. nu51313932

nu51313932

Dose the aset "Wet stuff for Unistorm" is still working?

13. neshius108

neshius108

@BHS: I went ahead and did some tests with "Standard Demo".

Here you can see that the cloud artifacts are visible (a bit smaller but still exactly the same):
    upload_2019-12-11_16-20-23.png

And here is the walrus sprite + 3D object test:

upload_2019-12-11_16-21-34.png

This happens with the default "UISprite" in Unity:

upload_2019-12-11_16-23-16.png

Basically any 3D object is visible through any sprite with the weather is "Cloudy".

14. xxxgashekxxx

xxxgashekxxx

Anyone else using the new Unistorm version with Single pass rendering in VR? Just noticed today if i switch from Multi-pass to single-pass rendering i get a sort of weird double vision, where the camera renders both eyes to each individual lens. The attached screenshot doesn't really do it justice, but the moon is duplicated, the sky looks crazy, and I'm seeing double in both eyes. If i disable the Unistorm weather system and use a simple directional light I don't see this behaviour.

Attached Files:

15. Sam512

Sam512

@BHS Hey, the sky is glichy at night. Please, check your email I show the video there

16. DropNodes

DropNodes

Any Update on this? It's kinda annoying and critical bug :)

17. BHS

BHS

Try disabling the fog as it may be what's causing the issue. Also, did you see if disable the Cloud Shadows feature helps?

18. BHS

BHS

So I looked into this further, if the wind is adjusted with any of the VS Pro wind, or Unity's Wind, the transition isn't smooth. It's not a UniStorm issue, but just the way the wind system is designed.

There's two things you can do;
    1) Stop UniStorm from controlling the wind so the speed is always constant (this would require you to comment out the WindFadeSequence function within the UniStormSystem script).

2) Edit the wind controlling portions of the UniStormSystem script within the WindFadeSequence function to alter the VS Pro turbulence instead of the Main Wind of the Wind Component. The transition of this is smoother.

Referencing the VS Pro's wind can be done by finding your VS Pro gameobject and calling:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. YourVSProObject.GetComponent<AwesomeTechnologies.VegetationSystem.Wind.HDWindController>()
    The Turbulence variable within AwesomeTechnologies.VegetationSystem.Wind.HDWindController allows you to control the wind so it's smoother when transitioning wind speeds between weather types.

19. nu51313932

nu51313932

I use Unity 2019.2.17 My sprite shader is work normally.
    Have you checked about transparent color of sprite?
    https://www.reddit.com/r/StardewVal...y_video_game_inspiration_by_stardew_valley_0/

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  20. Astaelan1

Astaelan1

Hey @BHS it's been a while, back to working on my game and I ran into a couple things with the latest UniStorm.

First, I noticed that none of the sounds are hooked up by default when I created a new UniStorm System. No ambience, no morning/evening sounds, not even thunder. The only things that do have sounds, are the weather types with rain have those set. What happened to all the other defaults? Is there a way to hook them back up as before easily? Importing the master profile doesn't handle sounds.

Secondly, I noticed a new issue I hadn't seen in the past, likely an issue in my scene but I haven't tracked it down yet, everything seems right.

It looks like there is a tear between the skybox edges? I haven't been able to identify if it's on all edges, my camera just happened to be fixed in the right spot. Moving the camera a little doesn't change the artifact.

21. mushroom0417

mushroom0417

WechatIMG20.jpeg
    hi, i'am working on ios platform(Metal Graphics Api). The volumetric cloud quality is high.
    Other settings remain default. The scene comes from the Standard Demo provided in the package.
    As you can see, cross-like visual effect appear on the cloud. Do you have any suggestion to this issue?

22. neshius108

neshius108

@BHS: Happy new year, btw!
    So, the cloud shadows were already disabled. I also disabled them in the Cloud Profile and same for the fog.
    The issue is still exactly the same.
    What can I do?

23. magique

magique

@BHS I just picked up Unistorm as a possible replacement for Azure Sky. Liking what I'm seeing so far. I'll be testing for performance and appearance in the next couple of days.

BHS likes this.
  24. nu51313932

nu51313932

Have you tried lower/heigher the clipping plane near or far value in the main camera?

25. BHS

BHS

The sounds not included in the Window>UniStorm>Create UniStorm System are due to a Unity bug with some versions of Unity and storing objects within lists on prefabs. They are all within the Sounds folder that you can add manually.

Not sure what's going on with the artifact. What version of Unity and UniStorm are you using? I fixed a spherical clipping issue but I have never seen a vertical line artifact. What are the settings on your UniStorm camera?

26. BHS

BHS

Hey there, I haven't had a chance to test Metal Graphics API with UniStorm. It looks like the generated textures' Filter Mode have set to Point or their Max Size has been set lower. I'll have to look into this for you.

27. BHS

BHS

I can't seem to recreate the issue on my end. If possible, can you email me a project with the issue present in a scene so I can look into a solution for you?

JBR-games likes this.
  28. BHS

BHS

Hey everyone,

I've been working on some awesome new features and improvements with UniStorm 4.2.

Atmospheric Fog
    UniStorm's efficient atmospheric fog takes in account the sun and moon's light direction and color which is applied to the scene and UniStorm clouds. This allows for seamless blending of the sky and ground (with weather types like fog), greatly improved sunrises and sunsets, and improved overall shading and realism. It is also now possible to control the fog per weather type instead of it being globally controlled within the UniStorm editor as well as other atmospheric fog settings.

AtmosphericFog_0.png AtmosphericFog_1.png
    AtmosphericFog_2.png
    AtmosphericFog_3.png

Improved Skybox and Skybox Blending
    When using UniStorm's new atmospheric fog, the blending of the horizon and the lower part of the skybox is seamless and shaded to match UniStorm current fog color, even where the sun or moon are affecting it.

AtmosphericFog_4.png

Performance Improvements
    Performance with version 4.2 has been significantly improved to that of 4.1. Version 4.1's Ultra ran at about 350~ (using a GTX 1080 with Vsync disabled), but with occasional performance spikes. This has been addressed and resolved with version 4.2's Ultra running at a more consistent 900 to 1,000 fps (using a GTX 1080 with Vsync disabled and also using UniStorm's new atmospheric fog).

4.2 ETA and UniStorm Biome Weather
    There's no set ETA, but I'm hoping to have this update submitted no later than the end of January. After the 4.2 update, I will begin working on 4.3 which will bring a complex biome system for UniStorm capable of tracking, saving, and generating weather per biome.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  29. magique

magique

Wow, this is exactly what I was hoping for as I started using Unistorm. I can't wait to give this a try. Looks great.

BHS likes this.
  30. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

Damn it @BHS ! I will have to buy this too!

BHS likes this.
  31. magique

magique

@BHS Is it possible to do weather transitions based on terrain height? For example, if my player is down in a valley and it's raining, but the player moves into higher elevation can it automatically transition to snowing? I assume this is possible with the API, but knowing it's possible and having a good starting point would be helpful.

32. BHS

BHS

Yes, there's a few ways you could handle this. It really depends on how complex you want it to be. The script below handles changing the weather to a random snowy weather type (when at or above the snow height) or to a rainy weather type (if below it), but only if there is currently precipitation. This script will also regenerate the forecast to use all weather types that are below freezing so the weather will generate properly when at or above the snow level. This is just one example, but it should give you a solid idea of how to accomplish it and the API that can be used. If your below freezing weather types are season dependent (which they are by default), you will need to change them from Winter to All.

Code (CSharp):
    2. using System.Collections;
    3. using System.Collections.Generic;
    4. using UnityEngine;
    5. using UniStorm;
    7. public class UniStormHeightBasedWeather : MonoBehaviour
    8. {
    9.     public Transform PlayerTransform;
    10.     public float UpdateCheckSeconds = 1;
    11.     public int SnowHeight = 100;
    12.     public AnimationCurve MountainTemperatureCurve = AnimationCurve.Linear(1, 0, 13, 0);
    14.     AnimationCurve DefaultTemperatureCurve = AnimationCurve.Linear(1, 60, 13, 60);
    15.     List<WeatherType> SnowWeatherTypes = new List<WeatherType>();
    16.     List<WeatherType> RainWeatherTypes = new List<WeatherType>();
    17.     enum CurrentEnvironmentEnum { Valley, Mountains };
    18.     CurrentEnvironmentEnum CurrentEnvironment;
    20.     void Start()
    21.     {
    22.         Invoke("InitializeWeather", 0.1f);
    23.         InvokeRepeating("UpdateWeatherCheck", 0.25f, UpdateCheckSeconds);
    24.     }
    26.     void InitializeWeather()
    27.     {
    28.         //Store the default temperature curve for when returning below the snow level
    29.         DefaultTemperatureCurve = UniStormSystem.Instance.TemperatureCurve;
    30.         //Look through the UniStorm weather list for all snow and rain weather types and store them in individual lists
    31.         foreach (WeatherType WT in UniStormSystem.Instance.AllWeatherTypes)
    32.         {
    33.             if (WT.ShaderControl == WeatherType.ShaderControlEnum.Rain)
    34.             {
    35.                 RainWeatherTypes.Add(WT);
    36.             }
    37.             else if (WT.ShaderControl == WeatherType.ShaderControlEnum.Snow)
    38.             {
    39.                 SnowWeatherTypes.Add(WT);
    40.             }
    41.         }
    42.     }
    44.     void UpdateWeatherCheck ()
    45.     {
    46.         if (UniStormSystem.Instance.CurrentWeatherType.ShaderControl == WeatherType.ShaderControlEnum.Rain &&
    47.             PlayerTransform.position.y >= SnowHeight && CurrentEnvironment != CurrentEnvironmentEnum.Mountains)
    48.         {
    49.             UniStormManager.Instance.ChangeWeatherWithTransition(SnowWeatherTypes[Random.Range(0, SnowWeatherTypes.Count)]); //Pick a random weather type from the snowy weather type list and transiton the weather
    50.             UniStormSystem.Instance.TemperatureCurve = MountainTemperatureCurve; //Change the temperature curve so weather can be generated to include below freezing weather
    51.             UniStormSystem.Instance.Temperature = 20; //Set the current temperature to be below freezing
    52.             UniStormManager.Instance.RegenerateForecast(); //Regenerate the forecast with the updated temperature change
    53.             CurrentEnvironment = CurrentEnvironmentEnum.Mountains;
    54.         }
    55.         else if (UniStormSystem.Instance.CurrentWeatherType.ShaderControl == WeatherType.ShaderControlEnum.Snow &&
    56.             PlayerTransform.position.y < SnowHeight && CurrentEnvironment != CurrentEnvironmentEnum.Valley)
    57.         {
    58.             UniStormManager.Instance.ChangeWeatherWithTransition(RainWeatherTypes[Random.Range(0, RainWeatherTypes.Count)]); //Pick a random weather type from the rain weather type list and transiton the weather
    59.             UniStormSystem.Instance.TemperatureCurve = DefaultTemperatureCurve; //Change the temperature curve back to the default temperature curve
    60.             UniStormSystem.Instance.Temperature = 70; //Set the current temperature to be above freezing    
    61.             UniStormManager.Instance.RegenerateForecast(); //Regenerate the forecast with the updated temperature change
    62.             CurrentEnvironment = CurrentEnvironmentEnum.Valley;
    63.         }
    64.     }
    65. }

33. magique

magique

Fantastic. Your response was much more than I was expecting. I am pleased it can work this way. I will hang on to this script and utilize it as a starting point.

34. Astaelan1

Astaelan1

Thanks for the suggestion, turns out the default near clip plane of 0.3 was causing it on the camera. Odd that it hasn't come up before.

@BHS That tear is resolved, but you may be able to reproduce it with 0.3 near clip plane and 1000 far clip plane. Everything was pretty default on the camera, just a new default camera assigned to unistorm, and an empty game object at the same spot as the camera to provide the player context (also assigned to UniStorm or the clouds didn't appear).

Thanks for the resolution!

As for the sounds, that's a PITA. If it gets fixed, can I reimport a specific object to get all the sounds to hook up? Or maybe a script that could be added temporarily to do a hookup of the default sounds since I have no idea what goes where, but I did like most of the default sound setup for my needs.

nu51313932 likes this.
  35. BHS

BHS

Strange. I've tested various near and far clipping planes and wasn't able to reproduce the issue, but great to hear you resolved it.

I can try to add an option to import and export sounds with the UniStorm Profile with the 4.2 update. For now, you can use the demo UniStorm system from the demo, since it has all of the sounds applied, and then use your custom system's UniStorm Profile to import your customized settings.

Astaelan1 likes this.
  36. Alex3333

Alex3333

photon ????

37. magique

magique

I hope the performance is as significant as you are reporting. I tried Unistorm in my project in a scene that was getting 115 fps and when I added Unistorm desktop it dropped to 45 fps. So I applied the Mobile configuration and it got back to around 75 fps, but that's still a drop of about 40 fps. When I switched to Time of Day sky system, my frame rate went up to 112 fps.

38. BHS

BHS

What cloud quality are using? I can get 60 fps on some mobile devices using the mobile configuration.

39. magique

magique

I don't know. I just changed it to Mobile and had it apply the configuration so it's whatever is the default for Mobile. And this is not on a Mobile device. It's on a PC with GeForce 1060 GTX. So, I should be getting over 100 fps in my scene based on comparable sky systems like Time of Day.

40. BHS

BHS

The mobile configuration sets the cloud quality to low and the cloud type to 2d so you definitely shouldn't be getting that big of a frame rate drop, especially with a GTX 1060. Most mobile devices can run this at 60 fps. If possible, can you try using the profilier to see what might be causing the frame rate drop?

41. magique

magique

I'll give it a try again when I get a chance and let you know if I find anything.

42. Darkmalice

Darkmalice

Hey guys, loving UniStorm so far.
    I've been trying to implement syncing it over the network (using Mirror), and I'm almost there but have encountered a problem when I try to set the NextWeatherType. I'm pretty sure I have it setup correctly for the instance (and the CurrentWeatherType sets just fine), so maybe I'm misunderstanding how UniStorm works with the generated forecasts?

Code (CSharp):
    1. //this runs on the server within a Command  
    2. {
    3.     uniStorm = UniStorm.UniStormSystem.Instance;
    5.     //and here's where I hit the snag
    6.     string forecastWeather = uniStorm.NextWeatherType.WeatherTypeName;
    7. }
    9. //I then send it back to the requesting client in a TargetRpc and do;
    10. {
    11.     for (int i = 0; i < uniStorm.AllWeatherTypes.Count; i++)
    12.         {
    13.          if (uniStorm.AllWeatherTypes[i].WeatherTypeName == forecastWeather)
    14.             {
    15.                 uniStorm.NextWeatherType = uniStorm.AllWeatherTypes[i];
    16.             }
    17.         }
    18. }
    I know this verges into a Mirror issue rather than a UniStorm one but, from the UniStorm side, does that look right?

43. nu51313932

nu51313932

Can't wait . *0*

I have test many sky and weather system.
    But Unistorm is the most beutiful.

BHS likes this.
  44. Bouncer_XxX

Bouncer_XxX

this is a very long thread so it may have already been addressed, but after importing UniStorm asset, my terrain is transluscent. Can see tree outlines behind hills through the terrain, also the edges of the ocean through/behind a forest, basically the terrain and trees are opaque. It's probably something simple that I've missed, any suggestions?
    Kind regards

45. anunnaki2016

anunnaki2016

I've been waiting a year for the photon version

46. BHS

BHS

That looks like it should work, but I haven't messed with UniStorm and syncing over the network in awhile. I plan on getting an example out as soon as possible. I've only tried this with Unet, but I was able to get everything working. What I did with Unet was have the host monitor all needed UniStorm variables. When any of these variables changed over the network, the changes were sent to the clients. If I remember correctly, the UniStorm system was global and each client had their own weather effects that were updated according to the host's. I'd be more than happy to send you the Unet example scripts if it would help give you a better idea on how everything was achieved.

I plan on adding Mirror, as well as Photon, support when I get the chance.

47. BHS

BHS

I noticed this with Manufactura K4's assets and some of their vegetation shaders so it's not directly UniStorm. If you disable Ambient Occlusion from your image effects, the issue should disappear. Can you please provide a screenshot if the issue is still present?

48. BHS

BHS

I understand it has taken longer than expected for network support. I'm working on having Photon and Mirror support as soon as possible.

anunnaki2016 likes this.
  49. Darkmalice

Darkmalice

Your UNET example would be fantastic as a guide if you could send it over mate. I think I've got it down for the most part, though I just left it to one side for the time being while I work on other things.

50. anunnaki2016

anunnaki2016

thanks my friend