Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] UModeler X : Model, Rig, Paint and AI-Texture within Unity [Unity VSP]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by UModeler, Mar 23, 2017.

1. tcmeric

tcmeric

Here is the next tutorial video. In this video we learn how to make a bottle with several variations within 10 minutes. Don't forget to watch the part about creating loop slices, doing box selects on hidden verts/edges, as well as how to use smoothing groups.

This method is good for making bottles, vases, pots, baseball bats, chess pieces or anything else of this nature. Best of all, it is very easy to do.

Next video should be out on monday. How to make cartoon low poly chairs and tables.

UModeler and Regularry like this.
  2. tcmeric

tcmeric

Requests for future updates (if possible of course).
    • A wireframe or edge mode. This would make it easier to see and select hidden faces (on the far side of the object) without changing the camera in unity.
    • Grow selection, limited by angle. For example, if set to 90. Grow selection would not go past 90 degrees.

3. Enzi

Enzi

Hey again!
    It would be cool if we can drag/scale/rotate the UV directly with the mouse, without the UV editor so entering values is just for fine tuning.
    On simple surfaces I'm losing a lot of time with this and I fail to see what the Fix UVs accordingly button does.
    Before:
    uv1.PNG
    After:
    uv2.PNG

Tiling is only correctly stretched to the texture on one axis. Not useful.On that note have you thought about triplanar mapping? At some point it's inevitable to have.

Also I'm having some kind of bug with the UV editor where polygons, vertices or anything simple doesn't show up when selected in the scene. I could not really pinpoint when this happens but for now it just stops working on some UModeler objects.

Some more fast UV helper buttons like the tiling would also be great. Onefor tiling, one to stretch to 1:1.

I also had an case were extruding an edge led to a double sided wall polygon that was only editable from one side.
    The steps to reproduce:
    - create big cube
    - inset a smaller area, pull down to create a hole
    - inset the ground floor again
    - select edge and pull a wall up
    uv3.PNG

4. tcmeric

tcmeric

The next tutorial in the series. In this video we don't use too many new skills, but rather just use the ones we already know to make some fun chairs and tables. When I first started modeling, making chairs seemed like such a hard task. I am happy to be able to share an easy way to make them right within unity!

Don't forget, you can mute the sound and turn up the speed x2 if you dont need to tutorial and just want to see how I made it.

Next video, how to make a stylized (cartoon) looking book.

Enzi, Regularry, lundon and 1 other person like this.
  5. UModeler

UModeler

Thank you for good feedback. I'll add them to my todo list. They will be added in the upcoming update.

tcmeric likes this.
  6. UModeler

UModeler

Hello Enzi,
    Thank you for your feedback. I put my answers to your feedback below.

This is a good idea. I've put this feature to my todo list.

I'll take care of these issues for the next update.

What would this be used for in UModeler?

It seems that this bug can be fixed by toggling on Show All Polygons in Settings of UV Editor, which is brought up by clicking the gear icon at the top of UV Editor or selecting the other material in the material list in Settings.

Extruding an edge in Edge tool creates two-sided polygons. On the other hand the Extrude Edge Tool makes one-side polygons while extruding (https://umodeler.github.io/addtools.html#extrude-edge-tool). So if what you want is one-sided polygons, you can use Extrude-Edge tool. And the picking bug in double-sided polygons will be fixed in the upcoming update. I've found that extruding an edge in Extrude-Edge tool doesn't work when you do it successively. This bug will also be fixed.

7. UModeler

UModeler

Awesome!

tcmeric likes this.
  8. tcmeric

tcmeric

Also another request. The ability to subdivide a face or object.

Before

After

Enzi likes this.
  9. UModeler

UModeler

As a workaround you can split a rectangle with ease using Loop Slice tool. I'll add Segment property to Rectangle and Box etc to do this.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  10. tcmeric

tcmeric

Thanks, that is what I have been doing until now. It is nice to be able to split up a face without having to clean up all of those extra edge loops sometimes however. Anyways, just a matter of convenience more than anything else. No emergency :)

UModeler likes this.
  11. Enzi

Enzi

Cool! Thanks!

I've checked, nope. Doesn't show up. Can I send you the model as a prefab? I think you can fix it easier when you can reproduce it. The UV editor is pretty much broken in my scene for most polygons. I also can't flip or edit any further. Just a few polygons for each material still show up.

Thanks for the explanation on the edge extrude, I didn't know there was a difference.

UModeler likes this.
  12. UModeler

UModeler

tcmeric likes this.
  13. tcmeric

tcmeric

I know you have all been waiting for more tutorials :p

Here is the next one in the simple low poly series. How to make low poly/ stylized books. Need to fill those shelves.

red2blue, Regularry and UModeler like this.
  14. Regularry

Regularry

Pre-selection highlighting would be a nice thing to have. While not an absolute necessity it is a nice ergonomic touch that makes a tool like this feel more comfortable to use.

UModeler and tcmeric like this.
  15. UModeler

UModeler

It would be cool to have it in UModeler so I've put it in my todo list.

Regularry and tcmeric like this.
  16. Regularry

Regularry

Awesome!

17. Enzi

Enzi

Can you please fix this?
    Not sure how or why this happens.
    plzFx.PNG

Also for the grid. Is there something like a global snap? Now it seems relative to the UModeler transform position. Another snapping mode to have it easier when working with multiple UModeler objects would be nice.

How's it going with the new version? Can you provide beta versions?

18. tcmeric

tcmeric

Try changing from local to world in unity.

Attached Files:

UModeler and Enzi like this.
  19. Enzi

Enzi

Thank you! This indeed fixed the problem. Should I stay in world mode?

20. tcmeric

tcmeric

If you have it set to world mode, it will always show the gizmo in world space (up with always be up, down will always be down). If you have it set to local space, it will take the rotation of the edge/face/vert and use that for the direction. So, it just depends on what you want to do. Usually I keep world space as my default. I only switch to local if I need it.

UModeler likes this.
  21. UModeler

UModeler

@tcmeric replied quite well. :)
    UModeler's grid snapping basically works in the world space when you use the move tool/gizmo.
    Could you please explain this in more detail?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  22. Catttdaddy

Catttdaddy

Hello I just started using uModeler. When I create a umodeler object I get a grey square in the scene view under my cursor. Im not able to see the exact spot that I am clicking. is this normal? When I look at the tutorials it looks like you have a box as well but it is much smaller.

23. Catttdaddy

Catttdaddy

I am attempting to use this tool and learn with the tutorials. I am attempting to Make the houes. I use the line tool to split the edge but when I drag up with the edge move tool it either raises the sides or the top. I can not get consistent results. One time it worked and actually created the roof but it only works one out of 10 times and I will do the same thing. Please help.

24. tcmeric

tcmeric

It is hard to know what the problem is without seeing it. Can you post a video or gif?

25. Enzi

Enzi

Sorry for bothering, the problem vanished when I switched to world space and moved the Umodeler object to a proper, aligned position without long decimal values. Grid works exactly as I want now! :)

2 things I want to report:
    - sometimes the collider doesn't get updated when making changes, I have to manually remove/add the collider in the collider tool to fix it
    - when entering or exiting play mode lots of crashes occur in 2018.3 and 2019.1. Are you aware of those? Can I work around these with closing Umodeler objects?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    UModeler and tcmeric like this.
  26. Catttdaddy

Catttdaddy

Here is a vid of the problem

Attached Files:

UModeler likes this.
  27. tcmeric

tcmeric

Thanks for the video. I have no idea what is going wrong there! @JS_tripolygon ?

28. Catttdaddy

Catttdaddy

lol Ok, so if I cant use your product do I get a refund? It doesn't look as if it is working...

29. tcmeric

tcmeric

Its not my product. Just trying to give you a helping hand. @JS_tripolygon is the creator. I believe he will be able to help you out. What version of unity are you using? Note that he is from Korea and this is Korean/Chinese new years eve. The biggest holiday of the year. So he may be busy for a few days. Like Christmas for Korea.

UModeler, Catttdaddy and Enzi like this.
  30. Enzi

Enzi

@Ctttdaddy: Just want to chime and say I can't reproduce this gif. I'm running 2018.3 and 2019.1 and haven't found such errors in modelling while having dumped in a lot of hours. Do you get any console errors that could explain this?

tcmeric likes this.
  31. tcmeric

tcmeric

I also wasent able to reproduce it myself, and I have had a lot of hours. Maybe try adjusting the camera position better before drawing the line? Although it did look like the cursor changed color, which indicates snapping.

32. Catttdaddy

Catttdaddy

I am sorry. I assumed you were the dev. I appreciate your help. :)

33. Catttdaddy

Catttdaddy

I am at work at the moment. I believe it is Unity2018 f23 (off memory). No I don't get any errors in the console. I will try again when I get home to see if I can get any further information

34. Catttdaddy

Catttdaddy

I'm using unity 2018.1.1f.
    I hate updating unity because I always get "This code is old and doesn't work with the new version" and always get set back days of work...
    Im updating to see if I get better results...

35. UModeler

UModeler

Hello @Ctttdaddy
    I'm sorry for the delay of reply. As @tcmeric mentioned, I'm in the middle of the lunar New Year's Day which is one of the biggest holidays in my country so I couldn't answer your question as early as possible.
    I have just tried to reproduce your bug quickly but I haven't been able to do it. I'll try to check it more and give you a proper answer soon after getting back to work.

You're right. I'm a little bit busy with my family :). Thank you for your explanation.

tcmeric likes this.
  36. UModeler

UModeler

I'll fix this in the upcoming update.
    Could you copy and paste the error messages here?

37. tcmeric

tcmeric

Haha, no problem. I live in China now (my wife is Chinese). So we are also having lunar new year right now as well. 新年快乐!

UModeler likes this.
  38. UModeler

UModeler

I got it. This unusual behaviour is caused in a very big shape. The size of the box in the gif file is 1024x1024x1024. This is quite large, which seems to cause the floating point precision issue. In the tutorial video the box size used for the house at first is 5x5x1. So I think you should use a smaller sized shape to avoid this problem until it's fixed.

Enzi and tcmeric like this.
  39. NineCycles

NineCycles

Hi. For some Reason when I activate snapping in the UV Editor, I can't move nothing at all. Any Idea what could be the Problem?

40. UModeler

UModeler

Hi NineCycles,
    I don't figure it out even after trying to reproduce this situation. Moving anything with snapping enabled works well as shown below.
    UModeler_UVEditor_Moving_With_SnappingEnabled.gif

Could you please tell me more about how you did?

41. NineCycles

NineCycles

Let's say for example i create a simple Cube with Umodeler I open the UV Editor from the Umodeler Toolshellf select the Cubes Faces and do a Cube unwrap. When I have snapping activated only Rotation works as expcted. moving Objects doesn't work at all and when I try scaling somethig it more or less colapses what ever i have selected. The Cross Cursor by the way jumps to the lower left corner of the UV Space when snapping is activated.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  42. UModeler

UModeler

What version of Unity and UModeler are you using? Are you using them on windows?
    And what value is the Grid Snap Size in the settings?

43. NineCycles

NineCycles

My Unity Version is 2018.3.4f1. Umodeler is 2.4.
    Grid Snap Size is 0.5 in Umodeler and 0.15 in Unity Snap Settings.

44. UModeler

UModeler

Are you using UModeler on Mac?
    And could you please record what you do as a gif or video? I've not figured out how I reproduce this bug even though I tried several times.

45. NineCycles

NineCycles

I'am using Windows 10.
    UmodelerSnap.gif

UModeler likes this.
  46. UModeler

UModeler

Hello everyone,
    UModeler 2.5 package has been submitted.

Here is sneak peek of 2.5. Your feedback is always welcome.
    1. Pre-selection of elements
      UModeler_Preselection.gif

2. New Shortcut Settings in Preference.
      1) Shortcuts for UV Editor.
      2) Categorized as group
      UModeler_Preference_newshortcut.gif

3. Color palette for Vertex/Polygon Color Tools.
      UModeler_PolygonColorTool.jpg

4. Material slot in the Material tool.
      UModeler_MaterialTool2.5.jpg

5. More intuitive UI of Smoothing Group Tool
      1) Angle adjustment using Slider bar
      2) Display of each smoothing group slot.
      3) Less click to do something than before.
      UModeler_SmoothingGroupTool_Properties.jpg

Regularry likes this.
  47. UModeler

UModeler

6. UV Move/Rotate/Scale gizmos in UV Tool
    UModeler_UVTool_MoveGizmo.gif UModeler_UVTool_RotateGizmo.gif UModeler_UVTool_ScaleGizmo.gif

7. Enhancement of LoopSlice tool
    1) Slicing a Cone
    2) Stack overflow bug fix
    UModeler_2.5_LoopSliceTool_Enhancement.gif

8. Auto Layout
    1) Pretty easy and quick way of unwrapping
    2) Done just by LMB double click on a polygon.
    3) Similar to Auto Stitching in ProBuilder
    UModeler_AutoLayout.gif

TS42 and Regularry like this.
  48. UModeler

UModeler

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  49. UModeler

UModeler

Could you try this again using UModeler 2.5?

50. Enzi

Enzi

Thank you so much for the update. The UV tool and other additions look great!

Sadly, I'm getting these errors when updating to 2.5 in Unity 2018.3.6f1 and only in my current project. Works fine in a new one.

Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. tripolygon.UModeler.ToolFactory.FindToolIdentifier (tripolygon.UModeler.BaseTool tool) (at <3727917648df41f7a826aa22088ff68e>:0)
    3. tripolygon.UModeler.IconMenuPanel.OnGUI (System.Single wndWidth, System.Boolean uvMenu, tripolygon.UModeler.IconMenuPanel+ToolSelectionHandler selectionHandler, tripolygon.UModeler.BaseTool currentTool, System.String keyword) (at <3727917648df41f7a826aa22088ff68e>:0)
    4. tripolygon.UModeler.IconMenuPanel.OnScrollGUI (UnityEngine.Rect position, System.Single xOffset, System.Boolean uvMenu, tripolygon.UModeler.IconMenuPanel+ToolSelectionHandler selectionHandler, tripolygon.UModeler.BaseTool currentTool, System.String keyword) (at <3727917648df41f7a826aa22088ff68e>:0)
    5. tripolygon.UModeler.MenuWindow.OnGUI () (at <3727917648df41f7a826aa22088ff68e>:0)
    6. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at <d7ac571ca2d04b2f981d0d886fa067cf>:0)
    7. Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    8. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at <d7ac571ca2d04b2f981d0d886fa067cf>:0)
    9. System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at <d7ac571ca2d04b2f981d0d886fa067cf>:0)
    10. UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:342)
    11. UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:336)
    12. UnityEditor.HostView.InvokeOnGUI (UnityEngine.Rect onGUIPosition, UnityEngine.Rect viewRect) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:310)
    13. UnityEditor.DockArea.DrawView (UnityEngine.Rect viewRect, UnityEngine.Rect dockAreaRect, System.Boolean customBorder, System.Boolean floatingWindow, System.Boolean isBottomTab) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/DockArea.cs:361)
    14. UnityEditor.DockArea.OldOnGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/DockArea.cs:320)
    15. UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.DoOnGUI (UnityEngine.Event evt, UnityEngine.Matrix4x4 worldTransform, UnityEngine.Rect clippingRect, System.Boolean isComputingLayout) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/IMGUIContainer.cs:244)
    16. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)
    And maybe unrelated followup-error:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. GUI Error: You are pushing more GUIClips than you are popping. Make sure they are balanced.
    2. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)
    Do you have beta access via Order number? Something like: https://realtimecsg.com/updates/

edit: I could fix the issue with initializing from a new hierarchy without the level scenes loaded. Once the init was done, everything worked fine and the other scenes could be loaded.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    UModeler likes this.