Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Surforge 1.4.5 - 3D rendered PBR texturing in Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Sergeyv_3d, Jan 27, 2017.

1. castor76

castor76

Also any ETA for linear work flow update? Just can't work with this without it...

2. Sergeyv_3d

Sergeyv_3d

Please treat with understanding that linear workflow affected very deep parts of Surforge.
    More work required on this weekend before sending it.

hopeful likes this.
  3. ShockWave2048

ShockWave2048

Hi all. Have 5.5.3p1 Unity and Surforge 1.0.1 (awesome editor!!!).

Have unwraped model.

It immediately crash unity when i try render it with poly lasso objects.

Can advise something?

Geforce610-2Gb, Directx 12, i5 2500 (4cores), 8gb ram

[model]
    TechVehicle

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  4. castor76

castor76

Please do consider letting us having it before asset store approves it when you are ready. If we need to wait for the asset store update, it may take few weeks from now on which I can't wait that long.

5. elbows

elbows

Updates to the store usually dont take as long as original asset approval, so I would think more likely days not weeks.

6. castor76

castor76

I have saved my material set and I want to apply it to the other model in the other scene. How can I do this? There isn't a load button and it does say it appears on the other scene, but it doesn't... I can see the material set in my project folder, but it doesn't appear on the list.. This is so that I can keep working on the material sets to be reused on different assets to keep them consistent. If the new material only appears when I create a new surforge texture, then I can't tweak it and then apply the changes to the other scene's setup.

7. Sergeyv_3d

Sergeyv_3d

Please update to latest version of Surforge.
    There was an issue with rendertextures in Unity 5.5.2.
    You could see in Surforge changelog, workaround was added in 1.0.2

Surforge should load your custom material sets from "Surforge\CustomPresets\MaterialSets" when you restart Unity editor.
    If for some reason this did not happen, please don't worry.
    Just check how Surforge assets organized. It is not hardcoded, you could customize everything.
    There is "surforgeSettings.prefab" in "Surforge\Editor" folder. There is a list "Materials" where all materials linked.
    (This is for single materials, shown in materials tab, not sets).

There is also a "composerPresets.prefab" in "Surforge\ComposerPresets" folder.
    This is where all Material Sets (the stuff from dropdown menu under Texture Preview) linked.

You could edit that, but please not be confused between Materials and Material sets, while both Unity material assets, they different. You could save materials and material sets with a little buttons with arrows in Surforge material editor.
    You also need to restart Unity Editor to apply custom changes, not just close/open Suforge window.

I am very sorry for this could be confusing for the new users, customizing will be improved. Just need to finish urgent things first.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    Mark_01 likes this.
  8. castor76

castor76

Oh... I see.. I didn't restart Unity and that is probably why I don't see it loading. Yeah like you said, this process needs to be neater because restarting Unity is probably not the best way of refreshing the material / sets.

It's not a big deal if I know what to do for now. But please do hurry with the linear work flow. :D

This tool is so good that I am ever more hungry for more and more lasso features and decals! We neeeeed MORE! more natural patterns and more of everything! :D

9. Tommy-Core

Tommy-Core

Hi @Sergeyv_3d
    Your asset looks amazing. If you are to add some texture painting features, I'd love to see support for pressure sensitive input like graphic tablets (i.e. Wacom and the like). Will buy soon. Looking forward to how it's going to develop.

10. castor76

castor76

Sorry I was talking in total time waiting for the linear work flow not just store submission waiting time. But really.. is there way to get the linear work flow preview ASAP please?

11. tosvus

tosvus

dude, chill. Every other post is asking for this. Let the guy have a chance to develop rather than dealing with requests all the time. Sounds like he is doing what he can.

Mark_01 likes this.
  12. Sergeyv_3d

Sergeyv_3d

Hello.
    Good news: I just sent 1.0.4 for review. At last.
    I am sorry for it taking so long, but this one was really huge. ChangeLog

Many things had to be rewritten, tweaked, tested, and again.
    I hope it will be approved soon. Thank you very much for your patience.

13. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

Just read through the changelog for 1.04.
    Please do a video showing the Surforge Archimatix workflow!!!
    Congrats.

red2blue and Arganth like this.
  14. TarlSS

TarlSS

Just bought this asset, few questions
    • I'd like to make the model/texture preview window bigger, how do I do that? There should be easier options for rescaling it.
    • I have a VERY large piece of geometry i made in archimatix, it's bigger than the root. Bigger than the bounds of the poly lasso. How do I create a texture for it? Do I need to scale it smaller?
    • My model is off center because it's half of a mesh (I created a trench style thing) how do I bring it back to center? It's off the 'black square" so things are acting really funky.
    • You mention Archimatix support, I suspect that would fix my problems. How do I use archimatix with Surforge??

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  15. castor76

castor76

I really hope store approves this asset before the weekend starts. Garh...

pixelsteam likes this.
  16. Sergeyv_3d

Sergeyv_3d

I am working on Surforge + Archimatix workflow video now, and video of other new features of 1.0.4
    I hope this will be ready in time for its approvement, and demonstrate how Surforge could be used in this direction.

You could easily make Texture Preview bigger just with rescaling Surforge window. You could also expand it to full screen, to have large Texture Preview, and material settings on the right side. This is handy for materials fine-tune, when your modeling done.

For Surforge working field on the Scene View, where you add texture details and preview the UVs, it was designed for working with that fixed size. This is because Surforge rendering and many other things just can't work with arbitrary very big or small size of meshes and units. It is related to shadow cascades (requires to render AO in "hemisphere" mode), Greeble tool voxel tree resolution, detail size, shapes density and so on.

Also, regardless of the size of the working area, it is mapped to 0 - 1 texture space of your model. You could make your result texture larger or smaller, with tweaking your geometry UVs size. I will show you how this works related to Archimatix in the upcoming video.

pixelsteam and Mark_01 like this.
  17. Sergeyv_3d

Sergeyv_3d

Great news!
    I am happy to let you know, that 1.0.4 is live.
    Thank you very much, Asset Store Team! So fast approved :)

Archimatix is a powerful node-based parametric modeling extension for Unity that helps you quickly create mutable props and rich, coherent and variable environments.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
    Akshara, Steve-Tack, Hitch42 and 6 others like this.
  18. Tommy-Core

Tommy-Core

My first go at Surforge. Modelled and mapped in Blender. Mind you - I'm a programmer, no artist. Only recently picked up Blender. Surforge certainly is not easy to use, but once you get the hang of it, it is unbelievably great.

19. Deleted User

Deleted User

So can this replace something like Quixel Suite (NDO, DDO)? Is this comparable to it?

And is this "complete" or are some features missing which will get included later?

20. Sergeyv_3d

Sergeyv_3d

Well guys i was a betatester of Quixel Suite.
    While Quixel Suite all about quality, Surforge all about efficiency.
    And don't forget Quixel+Zbrush+xNormal pipeline is fed by professional skill used baked high poly rendered maps, and Surforge not.
    And I really believe that within its tasks Surforge wins.
    Also, you do not need expensive Photoshop. Surforge uses GPU and realtime. Surforge fast and simple and effective.
    At the same time I can say only good about Quixel.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
    pixelsteam likes this.
  21. Pete_1061

Pete_1061

Just bought surforge, I like it, but disappointed, the add detail tool is not working for me. It just rotate when I click. It never places the detail.

.....sigh. I'm gonna give up on these asset store things, always something cool with something wrong with it.

22. Sergeyv_3d

Sergeyv_3d

Thank you very much for your pourchase and for using Surforge.
    It's very abnormal, please record a video and we'll solve it. I am very sorry you facing issues, but be sure it will work.
    Also surforge quickly develop, i will fix any critical stuff soon.

23. Weezel

Weezel

This is a great tool and I'm really liking it so far. Is there a way of stopping the Texture Preview tooltip from popping up every time the mouse cursor is over the preview window? It keeps popping up every few seconds and covering my UV layout. It's really annoying me. I'm using version 1.0.4.

window.png

pixelsteam likes this.
  24. Sergeyv_3d

Sergeyv_3d

builti in tooltips interfere even in my videos. For sure will be changed some day

pixelsteam likes this.
  25. Pete_1061

Pete_1061

Something I just did as a trouble shoot.... I used my programmable keypad, with a key assigned to 'left mouse', to isolate the click from the drag. And with 'show action' checked on, it still registered as a click-drag rather than just a click.

I'm guessing something is not happening on the mouse down that should?
    Like a prefab not getting instantiated or something, or just skipping right to drag before click.

Just brainstorming, tossing my observations and thoughts in like this, since, I honestly don't know how to use screen capture video stuff. (but that's off topic) "record a video"..... not really something for everyone. never had a need to before.

sorry for my tantrum. maybe unity q.c. should have looked at it a little closer when you gave it to them? I don't know the approval process.

26. Weezel

Weezel

Excellent. Thanks for the response.

pixelsteam likes this.
  27. Edvard-D

Edvard-D

Just bought the asset during the sale. I'm blown away. Fantastic job!

I'm trying to export a material that has emissive elements. The emission is working correctly when using the preview material, but it's not working with the exported material. The areas that are supposed to be emissive are instead a slightly darker shade, outlining the shape of the detail that was emissive. Any thoughts on why this might be?

28. red2blue

red2blue

Have you tried to crank up the emission value? Maybe the value is to low.

29. castor76

castor76

Is there any roadmap for Surforge? Now that the linear work flow is out of the way, I am interested with what next?

This tool has so much potential. More lasso objects and decals would be super fantastic. Especially non hard surface ones. There is only one stone brick decal and few other non hard surface decals.. We need more non hard surface decals.

I am thinking of using Zbrush to create some and then import them... But I will buy if there are any made ones already. Anyone know? I looked at turbo squid site for some, but they are mostly a bit too expensive.

We need more crack type floaters too.

One of the main downside of Surforge is its own advantage itself. Because it uses mesh based stamping, it is not easy to create custom decals so I found that I have quickly run out of decals to use. There are two additional decal packages in asset store which is ok, but there arent any organic or non hard surface ones.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  30. Edvard-D

Edvard-D

Ya, I tried changing it. The thing is, at least from my understanding, exported materials are supposed to look exactly like the in-progress ones. Maybe I have some settings in my scene setup incorrectly, or something like that?

One thing to note, I'm using Surforge with Archmatix.

I just exported another texture and had a similar problem. The texture doesn't have any emissive parts, but it does use a metallic texture that is supposed to reflect the light. When I set the material as the previewMat it reflects correctly, but when I change it to the exported material it's completely flat with no light reflections.

31. Sergeyv_3d

Sergeyv_3d

You may need to add some more emission intensity in some cases, emission could work in hdri mode, but emission map stored in file of regular range.
    You may need to turn emission "On" in exported Unity Standard material (default is "off"). Its a new option in modern Unity versions.
    Could you try to select your exported material in Project manager? It may needed in some cases to make Unity update it and show its reflections.

@Pete_1061,
    I understand how you were upset. 1 star rating shows it well enough.
    I'm very sorry that this issue happened for you. You ask how'd this get through Unity. This issue seem really rare and new.
    I am sorry that I asked you for a video, and I'm sorry if it sounded not polite. English is not my native language.

I also got your system details, thank you. I am investigating this now.
    Could you please try "Window - Layouts - Revert Factory Settings". This could be needed in rare cases.

Please do not worry, your money not lost. Just mail me a refund request with Invoice number included if you need it.

Yes, i was asked a lot about architectural/organic assets and material prefabs. Aiming this now.
    Good idea is to improve custom Add Detail mesh assets importing.
    I wish i could read Zbrush IMM brush files, but i don't think it's possible. It has their own format, and this also could be just prohibited to do.
    But there are a lot of .obj assets around on the BadKing site for free (most IMM has the .Obj included). It would be great to make importing them easier.

Also, there are seems some new issues appeared related to ProBuilder after the update, need to fix this. Also there are seems to have some Ubuntu linux issues, need to check this now too.

32. hoodoo

hoodoo

Hi @Sergeyv_3d - I just purchased Surforge and Archimatix during the last day of the sale. I'm excited to try this workflow out!

pixelsteam likes this.
  33. Edvard-D

Edvard-D

What you suggested--turning on emissions and selecting the exported material in the project manager--fixed both problems I had. Thanks for the quick response!

I had a workflow question that's come up since I'm using Surforge with Archimatix: what would be the best practice for saving in-progress Surforge textures so they can be edited later on? With Archimatix there are multiple sections of buildings that need to be textured, but--from what I can tell--you can only work on one Surforge texture at a time.

As an example: I finished the first pass on a building I created to learn Archimatix/Surforge. I'm liking how most things look so far, but some early textures I created really stick out like a sore thumb when I see them in combination with all the other textures. The problem is that the Surforge in-progress objects (basically, the objects under root) are no longer in-scene, so I would have to rebuild the texture from scratch, while all I really want to do is move a few details around and that sort of thing.

Is there some way to save in-progress Surforge textures so they're available to be edited later?

34. Pete_1061

Pete_1061

My bad.... I'm embarrassed. Fixed the review.
    "Window - Layouts - Revert Factory Settings"....ys, in some rare cases, like people with a 4K desktop, apparently, the Unity Editor gets glitchy if you mess around with the layout too much, something that happens a LOT more on a 3840x2160 desktop. It's not the size of the Unity Editor UI panels, it's the number of them, too many and the editor gets confused.

Reverting solved the problem. Now I just have to figure out how many and what UI panels mess the Unity Editor up. Probably too many scene views, I have been using them as "filler" in the large desktop. (I have a 43" 4K screen).

Now would Unity Technologies even pay any attention to my feedback, or I am in too small of a percentage of users for a business to care about? Not so many people have a large desktop like mine, but it is a rapidly growing group. The prices on big screens is getting cheaper (got mine for a great deal).

The problem in all of this is business only responds to the preferences of the majority.
    "minority" anything gets the s... end of the stick.

35. Sergeyv_3d

Sergeyv_3d

You could save your Unity scene, all Surforge scene objects and material settings will be saved with it.
    You could open it next time and continue tweaking everything. You could render with 1024 preview resolution before saving to make scene size smaller.
    Mesh, loaded in Surforge Texture Preview, is only for reference, you could change it at any time, while working on the texture details.

All Material Sets (that dropdown menu under Texture Preview) changes saved with the scene too. This is handy for keeping multiple material/color designs of your texture in one scene.
    Perhaps at some stage working with multiple geometry sets in one scene will be implemented too.

I am happy it works now.
    Thank you very much for changing your review.
    Please let me know if you require any further information or assistance.

36. chelnok

chelnok

Been happening to me at least half a year. My problem is, if i keep custom layout "too long" the fps drops in play mode from 60 to 10 fps. Setting to default layout fixes the problem. I have already used to it :) I guess i could report a bug, but it's kinda random. There was a thread about the problem few months ago.

I have iMac, two monitor setup, both just normal screens. I usually have couple ui panels at the second monitor. Haven't tested Surforge yet, but this happens with - i guess - any ui panels.

37. capnbubs

capnbubs

Really fantastic plug in, I'm currently using it to texture a character for a new game project. As the only artist I'm going to be able to target a much higher graphical fidelity than I could have otherwise. By cutting out the high poly modelling entirely I'm able to itterate and prototype new ideas in a small fraction of the time it would take otherwise.

Thanks so much for making this excellent plugin, can't sing the praises enough!

ZJP, DominoM, tosvus and 12 others like this.
  38. Edvard-D

Edvard-D

Thanks for the idea about creating individual scenes for each Surforge material. It's not ideal, but I appreciate having that workaround until a more robust system is put into place.

I think the ideal option would be the ability to save/load in-progress materials. I understand only being able to edit one at a time, but saving/loading is what I'd consider a standard feature (I don't mean implementation is basic, just as a feature of an asset). I tried making the Surforge objects children of a parent object and then making that parent a prefab, but it seems that a lot of data is lost when turning it into a prefab, so that option is out.

Still, thanks for the fantastic asset and all the work you've put into it.

Also, just to show off some of what Surforge can do, here's the building I created using Archimatix and textured with Surforge. Before getting this asset I was completely limited to "programmer art," so being able to create high-fidelity textures like this is mind blowing to me.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
    Sergeyv_3d and pixelsteam like this.
  39. tosvus

tosvus

Definitely works great for me. Sounds like for some reason the program gets confused. Rotation should normally happen when you press another key (shift or ctrl or something). Give some more detail to the dev and I am sure he can help. It really is a gem of a tool.

40. adventurefan

adventurefan

I have a few thoughts/suggestions after using this a bit.

question: is there any plans to make the poly lasso support holes in the middle of something and not just splitting from side to side?

question 2: the ways to make negative space are kind of confusing. you need to basically put a cavity or bowl shape mesh floating above... which is a bit of a unique way to do things, but works... BUT... why are there are no generators for those besides the one damage decal? could we get an option to make cavity meshes with the poly lasso tools inside out, to accomplish a negative space effect with them? (I might be missing an option that's already there since I'm only using this about a week...)

41. Sergeyv_3d

Sergeyv_3d

Great work!
    It would be great if there is an opportunity to publish it on Surforge website when it is finished, with the logo/link on your project.

It could be done at some point.
    Maybe you know the Clipper free c# library for doing this. I tested it with Surforge, after my approach was already done.
    Surforge shape processing is faster (about 2 times), becouse it uses simple approach. Surforge could cut many shapes at once realy fast.
    Surforge woks with "convex" shapes, that is much simplier, fast, and stable. Surforge PolyLasso objects uses one border shape, but if you use "true boolean" shapes with islands, a conception of boolean tree appears. There could be internal shapes, more than one.
    Also, Surforge uses rapid fast, simple, and stable "convex polygon fill" algo to fill it top caps. It produces low poly meshes, great if you have a complex scene with complex texture design.
    With boolean, more advanced and slow algo required.

This technique is known as "floaters" among 3d artists. It exists since the time, the normal maps invented. There is nothing special with it. nDo uses the same. Surforge has some Add Detail floaters, and Poly Lasso floaters as well.
    While rendering AO maps, Surforge renders floaters with extra pass, to get only internal ambinet occusion, but not AO casted by floater.
    Floaters is justified by the fact that there is no need for a "real" reconstruction of geometry, which in certain cases is simply impossible without uncompromising complication of the mesh.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
    Mark_01 and pixelsteam like this.
  42. adventurefan

adventurefan

made a post about could we get more sloped floaters... but I found a different work path below

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  43. adventurefan

adventurefan

Well I found a super convenient solution to my problem of lack of deeper floaters... just use my modeler in unity and drag the shader for surforge objects on it. works great, and I can edit my models instead of just importing non-editable models.

surforgeplusrealtimecsg.png

Mark_01 and Sergeyv_3d like this.
  44. doq

doq

Nice that looks like Realtime CSG?! I was wondering how the combination would work out.

adventurefan likes this.
  45. patch24

patch24

Someone has probably already asked this but, are there any plans to allow for geometry export from Surforge? It would be awesome to not only use your created geo for texturing, but also to export selections of that created geo to be used directly on models as well. Thanks and keep up the great work!
    -p

46. Edvard-D

Edvard-D

Here's another building created using Archimatix and textured with Surforge. This asset is the best money I've spent in a long time lol.

Sergeyv_3d likes this.
  47. doq

doq

@Sergeyv_3d Has anyone reported an issue with an empty window? I'm using Projeny for asset management, and Surforge's window shows up blank. If I load Surforge into an empty project without Projeny it shows up fine though. I haven't had an issue with any other asset so far.

There were some warnings in the console:

Assets/Plugins/Surforge is a symbolic link. Using symlinks in Unity projects may cause your project to become corrupted if you create multiple references to the same asset, use recursive symlinks or use symlinks to share assets between projects used with different versions of Unity. Make sure you know what you are doing.
    System.Reflection.MethodBase:Invoke(Object, Object[])
    Projeny.ProjenyEditorUtil:ForceGenerateUnitySolution()
    Projeny.<UpdateCustomSolutionAsync>d__9:MoveNext()
    Projeny.Internal.<ProcessPrjCommand>d__3:MoveNext()
    Projeny.Internal.CoRoutine:pump()
    Projeny.Internal.AsyncProcessor:AdvanceFrameAll()
    Projeny.Internal.AsyncProcessor:Tick()
    Projeny.Internal.PmCompositionRoot:Update()
    Projeny.Internal.PmWindow:Update()
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallUpdateFunctions()

A polygon of rivet_05_floater is self-intersecting and has been discarded.
    System.Reflection.MethodBase:Invoke(Object, Object[])
    Projeny.ProjenyEditorUtil:ForceGenerateUnitySolution()
    Projeny.<UpdateCustomSolutionAsync>d__9:MoveNext()
    Projeny.Internal.<ProcessPrjCommand>d__3:MoveNext()
    Projeny.Internal.CoRoutine:pump()
    Projeny.Internal.AsyncProcessor:AdvanceFrameAll()
    Projeny.Internal.AsyncProcessor:Tick()
    Projeny.Internal.PmCompositionRoot:Update()
    Projeny.Internal.PmWindow:Update()
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallUpdateFunctions()

A polygon of greeble_27 is self-intersecting and has been discarded.
    A polygon of greeble_27 is self-intersecting and has been discarded.
    A polygon of greeble_27B is self-intersecting and has been discarded.

The symbolic link error doesn't seem out of the ordinary (other assets have generated that warning without issue).

Any ideas?

Attached Files:

48. Sergeyv_3d

Sergeyv_3d

Thank you. I am happy you like it :)
    There is a free script on Unity wiki for .obj export, but it broken a little (not all 3d apps read the exported .obj).
    There are also some issues with multiple meshes export. It need to be improved to be good for exporting a large number of objects.
    I plan to adapt it, and add to Suforge one day.
    Actually Surforge PolyLasso meshes are just a Unity created mesh, nothing special. Except that there can be a lot of objects and they need to be combined correctly in order to be convenient to use.
    This could be if Surforge folder was moved or renamed in the project (maybe by the tool you using).
    Some of Surforge assets paths are hardcoded at the moment, sorry for that. This will be improved, i am going to fix it in the next relese.

49. doq

doq

Ok glad to hear that. Can you give me an example of where this stuff is hardcoded so I can try making the adjustment to see if it will fix things?

50. Sergeyv_3d

Sergeyv_3d

There are several lines of code in the dll like "project path" + "/Surforge/", etc.
    I am afraid nothing could be done to it on user side now, i will fix this asap.