Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Space Graphics Toolkit & Planets

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Darkcoder, Aug 18, 2012.

1. dirkjacobasch

dirkjacobasch

Hi, I've a question. Is there a way to export / convert the final mesh of a terrain into a height map. E.g. I finished my terrain with height maps, detail height maps and then I click export and SGT creates a spherical height map with the terrain height data. This height map would match exactly the terrain surface characteristics and would make it easy to create mask maps or biomes for this planet. This might be a feature for the new asset. In my simple understanding it is reading the terrain height around the sphere and convert it into a height map but I've no idea how to do it. :(

2. Darkcoder

Darkcoder

The terrain mesh changes based on camera distance, so reading mesh data isn't the best idea.

I recommend you instead make a new Texture2D, loop through each pixel x/y, scale them into polar coordinates, transform them into x/y/z Cartesian coordinates (sin&cos), then call terrain.GetLocalHeight(xyz), then scale these values into 0..1 range.

3. Darkcoder

Darkcoder

4. PhoenixAdvanced

PhoenixAdvanced

Hi,

I am using the Space Graphics Toolkit, and finding it really awesome!

I am currently trying out the HDRP, with a view towards possibly porting my project to it at some point.

The Space graphics toolkit seems to be working fine, except for the nebulae and starfield background objects. It seems like they are not rendering on the background layer, they are actually rendering in the game itself.

I am using an older version of the SGT, and I believe you mentioned that the HDRP was supported in later versions, is this a known issue that has been fixed?

It is definitely HDRP related, since it works fine in my current (non-HDRP) project.

I don't want to update the SGT unless I need to, since I have changed a few parts of it.

Thanks!

5. Steve2375

Steve2375

Hey, I have a question: when I create a planet using SgtTerrain and SgtAtmosphere, I need to link all materials of objects on this planet to the SgtSharedMaterial component of the SgtTerrain game object. Without that link, the object will not get covered by the atmosphere distant fog. This does increase draw calls on all objects on the planet and is also difficult to handle for GPU instanciated objects. Would it be possible that you change the atmosphere fog to a camera (shader) effect or anything else that gets applied to all objects on a planet automatically?

6. Darkcoder

Darkcoder

HDRP removes the Background and Overlay RenderQueues, so you must place them between Geometry and Transparent + n. This will also require you to adjust the scales so they go up against the edge of the camera draw range. Besides that, the latest version (3.6.8) doesn't change the starfield implementation at all from what I recall. Version 3.6.7 includes some camera handling code changes though, which are important. You can always make a new project with 3.6.8 and copy+paste any changes you need.

7. Darkcoder

Darkcoder

This is a feature I plan to add, as it has many benefits (including allowing tessellation shaders). However,there are a few important things I mush finish first before experimenting with new features :)

dirkjacobasch likes this.
  8. PhoenixAdvanced

PhoenixAdvanced

Thank you, changing the renderqueue does make the backgrounds show up, but the problem is that when the user moves, they move through the background.

IE, the background is being created at a fixed point in the world, and not rendered onto the background layer of the camera, so when the player moves they move through the background and all you can see is black.

Could this fixed by updating? Or is it unrelated?

I'm not doing anything complex with the backgrounds, so I'm guessing it's a HDRP camera issue?

9. jesusdaviddebenitoherrero

jesusdaviddebenitoherrero

Hi,

First of all thank the effort to create a tool that seems super powerful.
    Second, I am a rookie in Unity. I simply import the asset and encounter errors of methods that are not defined. For example,

• "Assets / Space Graphics Toolkit / Features / Debris / Scripts / SgtDebrisSpawner.cs (299,30): error CS0117:` UnityEngine.Matrix4x4 'does not contain a definition for `Translate'".
    • "Assets / Space Graphics Toolkit / Features / Planet / Scripts / SgtMeshDisplacer.cs (123,19): error CS1061: Type` UnityEngine.Mesh 'does not contain a definition for `RecalculateTangents' and no extension method` RecalculateTangents' of type `UnityEngine.Mesh 'could be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?"
    • and thus up to 15 errors that do not allow compilation.

I imagine there is a problem with Unity versions or something similar ... my version is 5.5.4p4, what could be the problem?

Thanks for your attention,

Cheers

Errors SGT.png

10. Darkcoder

Darkcoder

This camera movement issue was fixed in 3.6.7, because SRP no longer calls the Camera.onPreCull/onPreRender/onPostRender events. You could probably install the latest version in a new project then copy+paste the SgtCamera component over.

Space Graphics Toolkit is built for Unity 2017.4.0 and beyond. If you really must use 5.5.4 then I could send you a really old version of SGT that should work?

11. jesusdaviddebenitoherrero

jesusdaviddebenitoherrero

Oh mother ... I had a version of unity from when they painted in the caverns ... Sorry, I just downloaded the last one and everything is correct.
    It is seen that I use it daily, right ?.
    Now with his toolkit I will not stop making games :).
    Thank you

Darkcoder likes this.
  12. Darkcoder

Darkcoder

Haha, glad to hear you got it working. I was worried you were stuck using this old version because your project required it or something!

13. rasto61

rasto61

@Darkcoder Please check your PM about a problem with the floating origin system and world space UI.

14. viajero360

viajero360

Hi, just got your asset a week ago and it's great. I do have two questions though. I wanted to record a video of the scenes I've made but for some reason I can't record the camera movement in the timeline. I was able to find out that it was because of the Sgt Floating camera scr. If I disable it, I can record camera movement but planets don't move as I set them to go in orbit around the sun. Not sure what to do as I can't find any way to record the camera movement without disabling the script.
    I've also added Post Processing to my scene but nothing seems to be working, not the color grading, ambient occlusion...etc. no matter what values I change the scene stays the same. This is not a big deal as the scene looks great anyways without it but just thought I ask about it.
    Thanks for the help

15. Darkcoder

Darkcoder

Checking it now.

You can't record the camera Transform.position values like you would in a normal scene, because SgtFloatingCamera takes over the camera position (as well as other Transforms) to handle origin shifting. Either update your camera recording code to store the SgtFloatingCamera values instead, or don't use SgtFloatingCamera.

Post processing is probably broken due to the large camera draw distance. You can reduce the Camera's Clipping Planes > Far to a lower value until it works. Color grading shouldn't care about the draw distance though, so I'm not sure why that would break.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2022
    viajero360 likes this.
  16. Darkcoder

Darkcoder

Hey everyone,

Later today many of my assets will be given away in the 2019 Christmas Giveaway hosted by Devdog.

You can sign up for free HERE to be in for a chance to win!

Good luck!

17. viajero360

viajero360

Thanks for the quick reply. Was able to fix the camera movement by adding the SgtSimpleOrbit script on the planets, Although at the moment not sure how much effect it will have to have disable the SgtFloatingCamera script, as everything looks to be good. Thanks for the great asset.

Darkcoder likes this.
  18. giantkilleroverunity3d

giantkilleroverunity3d

I bought this. And wow there are a lot of freebies!
    I purchased for the infinite star field. I added it to project.
    I now have a universe as my backdrop!
    As a side note I found this while waiting for Amazon Prime to release season 4 of The Expanse. I am trying to reproduce the portal in my scene. Friday 13, 2020 is the release date. Thats today so I can view space scenery to capture!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    dirkjacobasch and Darkcoder like this.
  19. Darkcoder

Darkcoder

Glad you're enjoying it so far :)

Once Stargate and Battlestar Galactica ended I feared there would never be a good scifi show with lots of spaceships again, but The Expanse is turning out to fill that void very well :D It's almost a less cheesy version of Babylon 5, which is one of my favourites.

joshua_42 and dirkjacobasch like this.
  20. dirkjacobasch

dirkjacobasch

The Expanse is one of the best scifi shows ever. :)

joshua_42 and Darkcoder like this.
  21. giantkilleroverunity3d

giantkilleroverunity3d

22. Darkcoder

Darkcoder

Looks cool! You could swap the planet mesh with one of the higher detail ones that comes with SGT. You could probably add the SgtAtmosphere to that planet too :)

23. no00ob

no00ob

Hi, how can I properly use the unity default particle system and line renderers in world space with the floating origin system? As of right now the particles and lines are visibly teleporting every time the floating origin system snaps my spaceship back to the middle and I cant seem to solve this.

24. Natalynn

Natalynn

Any updates on the new terrain stuff? I'm always curious :D.

25. joshua_42

joshua_42

For the particles, I believe you switch their simulation space to the object they're parented to. I don't think the line renderer has this option.

26. hjohnsen

hjohnsen

This is the usual particle code :

Code (CSharp):
    1.         private void ShiftParticle(Vector3 playerRelativePosition)
    2.         {
    3.             ParticleSystem.Particle[] parts = null;
    4.             var objects = FindObjectsOfType(typeof(ParticleSystem));
    5.             foreach (Object o in objects)
    6.             {
    7.                 ParticleSystem sys = (ParticleSystem)o;
    9.                 if (sys.main.simulationSpace != ParticleSystemSimulationSpace.World)
    10.                     continue;
    12.                 int particlesNeeded = sys.main.maxParticles;
    14.                 if (particlesNeeded <= 0)
    15.                     continue;
    17.                 bool wasPaused = sys.isPaused;
    18.                 bool wasPlaying = sys.isPlaying;
    20.                 if (!wasPaused)
    21.                     sys.Pause();
    23.                 // ensure a sufficiently large array in which to store the particles
    24.                 if (parts == null || parts.Length < particlesNeeded)
    25.                 {
    26.                     parts = new ParticleSystem.Particle[particlesNeeded];
    27.                 }
    29.                 // now get the particles
    30.                 int num = sys.GetParticles(parts);
    32.                 for (int i = 0; i < num; i++)
    33.                 {
    34.                     parts[i].position -= playerRelativePosition;
    35.                 }
    37.                 sys.SetParticles(parts, num);
    39.                 if (wasPlaying)
    40.                     sys.Play();
    41.             }
    43.         }
    And this is for the trails :

Code (CSharp):
    2. private void ShiftTrails(Vector3 playerRelativePosition)
    3. {
    4.     for (int i = 0 ; i < _trailRenderers.Count; i++)
    5.     {
    6.         var item = _trailRenderers[i];
    7.         Vector3[] points = new Vector3[item.positionCount];
    8.         int n = item.GetPositions(points);
    9.         if( n == 0 )
    10.             item.Clear();
    11.         else
    12.         {
    13.             for (int l = 0; l < n; l++)
    14.             {
    15.                 points[l] -= playerRelativePosition;
    16.             }
    18.             item.SetPositions(points);
    19.         }
    20.     }
    21. }

no00ob likes this.
  27. no00ob

no00ob

Sorry if this is bit of an noobish question but what code is this exactly and where should it go?

28. hjohnsen

hjohnsen

I am not using SGT floating system so I can not say for sure.
    Perhaps you can add the call yo this two functions on the OnSnap event of the SgtFloatingCamera object.

Darkcoder likes this.
  29. jmacgill

jmacgill

Just getting into SGT for a VR project and I'm looking for some more pointers on handling scale changes.

I notice that SgtFloatingCamera's "TryGetCamera" doc comment says -
    "This will find the active and enabled camera with the matching scale"
    But I don't see code that actually handles scale in that method.

I'd like to be able to dynamically change scale... my naive first thought is to implement something like 'OnSnap' for scale that would change the scale of the SgtFloatingObjects to match the current scale of the camera if that makes sense?

30. TiToMoskito

TiToMoskito

Does someone made it work with Voxeland in combination? This would be really nice

31. Darkcoder

Darkcoder

You will have to hook into the SgtFloatingCamera.OnSnap event, and offset the line/particle positions by the second argument from this event (Vector3).

Soon! I was really busy preparing for and managing the last sale, and then Christmas + New Year's was pretty busy for me, and now I have a bit of a backlog to go through :D

Perhaps I should have described it better, as it finds the camera that renders the specified layer. The multi-scale rendering system is designed so each scale must be rendered to a different layer (so you can filter which objects draw to each scale), so in effect layer=scale.

You should be able to combine most SGT features with it, since SGT tries to use standard GameObjects and positions where possible. It depends exactly which features you want to integrate though?

no00ob likes this.
  32. liiir1985

liiir1985

@Darkcoder Hi, Darkcoder, I'm currently making a system overview scene, which looks similar to stellaris. I'm running into a lighting problem and need your suggestion.

The current scene is a scaled down solar system, which fits all planets orbiting the sun in 1 screen, and now I have the problem with lighting, since it's impossible now to use the directional light, even with Treet as point enabled, the planets are wrongly lit if they are on the other side of the light direction. Point light won't work neither, because the light intensity attenuates very quickly for outer planets.

Do you have any suggestion with this issue?

Another problem I'm having is the ambient color is pure black with in Universal RP, like the screenshot below. I put a sphere lit with the default lit shader beside the planet for comparsion

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  33. dirkjacobasch

dirkjacobasch

Hi, I had a similar problem with point light at the sun. What I did is to use a directional light for each planet and added a script to this directional lights to rotate the light in direction of the associated planet. Then I set each planet on it's own layer and set the culling mask of the associated light to this layer. I don't know if this works for you.

hopeful likes this.
  34. liiir1985

liiir1985

Well it's a possible solution, but then the planets in the system is limited to 32(the maximal posible layer in unity), which is not that practicable for a system with moons and astorids

35. dirkjacobasch

dirkjacobasch

A planet and its moons are on the same layer. If you have a solar system like our own you need 9 layers for the planets. It does not work for asteroid because they are all around the sun. You could fake it with 4 or 8 directional lights or you use a point light with a large range or fake lighting in a shader.

If you want to have more then one solar system in a scene you must deactivate the suns lights if you leave a solar system to prevent lighting other solar systems. But that's just scripting.

36. Darkcoder

Darkcoder

In this scenario you can:

A) Use point lights.
    B) Use directional lights with layering as mentioned by dirkjacobasch.
    C) Use point lights, and a custom shader for the surface that ignores attenuation.

I don't understand the issue with A though, why can't you just increase the range a lot and decrease the intensity?

Regarding A and C, components like SgtAtmosphere ignore light attenuation, so you only have to worry about the surface.

37. liiir1985

liiir1985

The problem with A is, the inner planets are much brighter than outer planets, the light intensity is decreased exponetially with the distance to the sun.
    And yes, the Atmosphere is working perfectly

38. Darkcoder

Darkcoder

Hmm, in the standard pipeline at least I don't notice this issue. The light range simply sets how quickly the maximum light intensity is reached, rather than just lighting everything based on proximity. Here's a screenshot of the standard shader (top), and the SGT planet shader (bottom) with a large Light.Range, and even with 10x or 100x greater ranges, the visual result remains identical:

NOTE: This is with a perspective projection, so the planets that are farther away aren't any brighter, the camera is just drawing more of the bright side.

39. liiir1985

liiir1985

Ah, the point light's intensity in SRPs are purely controled by the intensity of the light and distance to the object. Range doesn't have any influence to the intensity anymore, so it's decresing exponential to the distance

Btw, is there any suggestion with the ambient color issue?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  40. Darkcoder

Darkcoder

Interesting, I'll have to see if this is something that can easily be controlled. If not, you'll have to make your planets behave as this more realistic lighting model expects, and deal with farther away objects being dimmer. Alternatively you could change the surface lighting to no longer be realistic, but again I'm not sure if this can be controlled yet. I'll test it out tomorrow if I can.

41. amirkazim

amirkazim

I have purchased this package. I am facing an error. On android device it is showing less particles. Scene looks empty

42. Darkcoder

Darkcoder

Does this issue occur with the demo scenes too? If so, can you let me know which one and also post a picture from your device.

Also, what exact version of Unity are you using? Which version of SGT are you using (see local documentation Change Log)? Which Android device are you using?

43. CommunityUS

CommunityUS

Hi quick pop in...I wanted to clarify before testing. It looks like you got HDRP working.
    I saw here: https://forum.unity.com/threads/space-graphics-toolkit.147954/page-50#post-5216978
    That HDRP was almost there and then later release 3.6.7:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/space-graphics-toolkit.147954/page-51#post-5270505
    is this the release where it is "ready-ish" as in everything renders in HDRP and now just testing bugs like the cam movement bug that is already fixed etc? Also what Unity version were you using to do the HDRP integration? Is there a optional HDRP unity asset with demos in the download or separate download for materials? Or just manually upgrade the materials and stuff? I know in past the big hold up was the planet shaders in HDRP - are those working now too? I haven't played in the asset in a while as was waiting for this.

Lastly what package manager HDRP version were you using in your tests? I have found it best to match exactly the editor and hdrp package version as the best way to start.

44. Darkcoder

Darkcoder

Hey everyone,

Version 3.6.9 of Space Graphics Toolkit is now out!
    • Fixed SgtStarfieldElliptical.StarRadiusBias being 0 by default.
    • Improved Billboard5 texture resolution.
    • Improved Billboard6 texture resolution.
    • Changed SgtInputManager from a component to a normal class.
    • Updated all demo scenes.
    • Added Basic Pack/Elliptical Galaxy demo scene.
    • Added Basic Pack/Spiral Galaxy demo scene.
    • Added Basic Pack/Nebula demo scene.
    • Added Starfield/Box demo scene.
    • Added Starfield/Box Offset demo scene.
    • Added Starfield/Box Colors demo scene.
    • Added Starfield/Box Clouds demo scene.
    • Added Starfield/Box BlendMode demo scene.
    • Added Starfield/Box PowerRGB demo scene.
    • Added Starfield/Box ClampSize demo scene.
    • Added Starfield/Box Layering demo scene.
    • Added Starfield/Elliptical demo scene.
    • Added Starfield/Elliptical Symmetry demo scene.
    • Added Starfield/Elliptical Offset demo scene.
    • Added Starfield/Elliptical Bias demo scene.
    • Added Starfield/Elliptical Layering demo scene.
    • Added Starfield/Spiral demo scene.
    • Added Starfield/Spiral Rotation demo scene.
    • Added Starfield/Spiral Arm Count demo scene.
    • Added Starfield/Spiral Twist demo scene.
    • Added Starfield/Spiral Thickness Inner demo scene.
    • Added Starfield/Spiral Thickness Outer demo scene.
    • Added Starfield/Spiral Layering demo scene.
    • Added Starfield/Nebula demo scene.
    • Added Starfield/Nebula Height Source demo scene.
    • Added Starfield/Nebula Scale Source demo scene.
    • Added Starfield/Nebula Jitter demo scene.
    • Added Starfield/Nebula HorizontalBrightness demo scene.
    • Added Starfield/Nebula Layering demo scene.
    • Added Starfield/Infinite demo scene.
    • Added Starfield/Infinite Far demo scene.
    • Added Starfield/Infinite Warp demo scene.
    • Added Starfield/Infinite Dust demo scene.
    • Added Starfield/Infinite Dust Near demo scene.
    • Added Starfield/Infinite Floating Camera demo scene.

As you can see, this update mainly focuses on the tutorial scenes for the Starfield features. I forgot to mention it in the change log, but I also made SgtStarfieldNebula much more powerful by adding the new StarColors, StarTint and StarBoost settings, which give you much more control over the final nebula color, which makes them much easier to play around with. I also added demo scenes for this component, as I previously forgot to include any (oops!).

More updates coming soon :)

Enjoy!

Full support for LWRP/URP and HDRP was added in 3.6.8.

I did the majority of my SRP testing in 2019.2.12f1 as well as 2020.1.0a9. I have a workflow setup where I do most development in 2017.4.0f1 which is what I currently upload with, and only use newer builds for SRP stuff as well as testing in newer versions.

As for materials, I created a custom tool that can switch SGT materials between all pipelines. You can read more about its usage HERE.

There are still a few minor things that need tweaking, but overall almost everything seems to be working well with this setup I have going.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2022
  45. CommunityUS

CommunityUS

Awesome, how funny "2019.2.12f1" is what I use too. It seems to be a good in-between (works with 2017.4) and has legs for 2018.x before all the moving stuff around happens as they move it out of preview. Great work!

Darkcoder likes this.
  46. Steve2375

Steve2375

Pretty good update!

Is the atmosphere update for the SgtTerrain component still on your schedule? :)

47. CommunityUS

CommunityUS

FYI, when I was in there testing HDRP in 2019.2.12f1 I found a few things that didn't work - nothing big. Should I do a full test and report any issues here?

48. Darkcoder

Darkcoder

SgtAtmosphere already works with SgtTerrain and other planet terrains, so I don't plan to change it. This new atmosphere rendering component is a completely new and separate system, and while it's still on my schedule, it's not a high priority.

Sure, please report any issues here.

49. jordicor

jordicor

Hi,
    I've created a VR App where I use Space Graphics Toolkit, even someone in Reddit post it and people are loving it.

Here is a video showing the VR App. In the description of the video you'll find a link to download for free the VR app.

Also, I'm looking for a developer to improve the space journey, closer orbits, better visuals with more planets at once and other things like that. Paying for the job done, of course, if someone is interested, please, send me an email.

50. dirkjacobasch

dirkjacobasch

Amazing work.

TheGreaterGameCreator likes this.