Search Unity

[Big upgrade offers - Save $600 !!✅] InfiniTREE PRO-Procedural Ltree generate, growth & dynamics

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by nasos_333, Dec 25, 2014.

1. nasos_333

nasos_333

InfiniTREE PRO is now released at the Unity Asset Store !!

The new system is currently a $5 upgrade from InfiniTREE and $15 upgrade from Sky Master ULTIMATE or InfiniGRASS !

Enjoy :)

ArtnGame presents InfiniTREE, the new Tree and Forest procedural generation system for Unity3D.

The system's goal is to allow on the fly creation of trees and manage whole forests, all with a custom multithreaded dynamic batching system, allowing complete control over the tree appearence and growth, plus offer in game dynamics like full tree motion, growth and the base to create any other dynamic effect. Any prefab can easilly be used to create the trees, allowing for ease of use and ultimate tree customization and optimization.

Demo (WIP): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/79230236/INFINIDY/TREE/INfiniDy Tree WebPlayer DEMO1.html

InfiniTREE contains a fully featured Multithreaded dynamic batching system and dynamic tree grouping, for total control of required performance.

Another major feature is the ease of use and customization the system offers, just create a low polygon prefab and it can instantly be part of any tree !!!

Features

- Dynamic procedural tree generation, in game (option to save to disk will also be available, for later use)
    - Multithreaded dynamic batching system, that allows the smooth addition of trees during gameplay and draw call minimization (only 2-5 draw calls per static forest & 10-15 draw calls with full shadows enabled)
    - Real time tree growth and manipulation, with complete control over every tree aspect.
    - Forest manager, that allows the grouping of trees based on their properties and use, for maximizing performance
    - L-tree system combined with prefab instantiation, for ultimate ease of use and the power to instantly use any prefab for the various tree parts.
    - Cut off system, that will disable the far away trees, plus can be extended with much more funtionality and rules later, for a complete custom LOD and occlusion system. This will be the first priority update after the initial release.

The system will also get three big extra features in upcoming updates

- Spline system, for precision control of growth
    - Physics based growth system
    - Mesh generator, for creating branches on the fly without the use of prefabs

These systems are already working and they need further polish, so will be coming in future updates.

The v1.0 of the system is almost ready and beeing polished, it will be submitted sometime this week. I will post a demo with the cut off system too before release.

InfiniTREE red trees

InfiniTREE prefab instantiation, just added a cube to the branch prefab base for these pics :)

What these trees are made of (bark and branch prefabs)

InfiniTREE Pines WIP

WIP thread: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/in...aded-batching-forest-management.285554/page-2

Dynamic bark - root growth WIP:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2022
    Wambli likes this.
  2. nasos_333

nasos_333

[Reserved]

3. nasos_333

nasos_333

Older pics and test

Choping tree

Leaves detached and physics enabled

Draw calls with batching

Some extra tests made with the dynamic system (not using the latest version).

4. Gekigengar

Gekigengar

Watching, this is extremely useful!

5. nasos_333

nasos_333

It is also a very customizable system that could be applied to other items than trees, like flowers, plants, bushes and other organic formations.

The batching system is also decoupled from the tree system, so it can also be used for any object pool in the scene, thus essentially is two packs in one (and will be 3-4 packs in one, once the splines and mesh generators are in).

Gekigengar likes this.
  6. nasos_333

nasos_333

Merry Christmas to everyone :)

Gekigengar likes this.
  7. Gekigengar

Gekigengar

Just checking,
    This can be used during edit mode to create trees and other object prefabs yes?

Not only runtime yeah?

Does this create billboards depending on the generated tree too? (For LODs)

That would be cool!

How is the branching and tree shape behaviour set up?

Like Unity's tree creator graph?

8. nasos_333

nasos_333

The initial version will do everything in runtime and allow to save trees or whole forests in editor, but during play mode. The saved can be used in the editor afterwards.

The next update will focus on the editor side, the problem is that the system is based on a multithreaded batcher that works in real time, so in editor it is easy to grow the trees, but saving them and batching them is more complex and i will polish it for an update

It will not create billboards automatically, but i have already implemented a LOD system that will replace tree parts with custom supplied lower polygon ones on the fly, or quads (or anything else). The quads look rather good and give more control and better shaping than a sprite, so i will focus on perfecting this method first and then evaluate an automatic sprite creation additionally for the final LOD.

The shaping in the first version will be done by rules only (a height rule will create more levels, a bend rule will bend them etc), and i plan to integrate my spline system in a next update to have directed growth of the main trunk (or anything else), plus mesh generation along splines or with physics. (more on that in the INfiniDy system thread).

I will also evaluate a node system for next updates, but the priority would be the editor side and LOD systems. Then splines and mesh generation and finally a node system, if splines dont already cover for it.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  9. nasos_333

nasos_333

Here is a saved tree sample, in editor.

EDIT: I will also add an option to grow the trees in the editor, i already grew the tree base and works fine, so this functionality will probably come in v1.0 as well !!!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  10. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

The trees can now be grown and placed in the editor (also modified, like rotating the tree or branches) and keep their tree manager script when entering play mode. I have tested the system a lot and everything seems to be working nicely, besides one strange thing i have not solved yet, but should be simple (a prefab with the tree scipt is beeing disconnected when i run it in editor mode, it is fine in play mode of course and does not cause any other problem beside the disconnection).

I will be creating LOD versions for the various sample trees (and add a few more samples), optimize them further, add some more control of growth per branch level, and refine the save mesh feature and the release should be sometime next week. A demo showing the LOD system should be coming very soon too.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  11. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

The base 4 tree types have been created and are now polished and the final manual is written.

Also i decided to have a step by step setup note for new trees inside the scene (sample in pic above), so it would be easier to access and copy to new scenes for reference.

12. sicga123

sicga123

Looks really interesting. Any news when it is likely to be released?

13. nasos_333

nasos_333

I am almost done and everything works great and stable, so it will be submitted sometime next week.

I managed to put a full LOD system in as well, which really makes a big difference in large forests and that is why it was a bit delayed from my initial release plan.

Also I did some extra work on the grouping algorithm and some other details that needed some more polish.

14. sicga123

sicga123

That's good news. I'll watch the thread and pick a copy up when it's released. It looks like another system with a lot of potential to do some unusual things with gameplay. The demo was pretty intriguing and gave me some ideas.

15. nasos_333

nasos_333

Great :)

The demo did not include the LOD as well, so the final version will be far more optimized in that regard.

16. nasos_333

nasos_333

The initial introductory pricing will be 40$, less than one third the price of the final Pro version (which will include splines and much more, besides the initial version features like interactive trees and growth inside the game, customizable LOD management etc).

Usually i start all the packs in their top version, so early adopters can benefit. Let me know what you think of the price and if you would like to see some other starting price point.

17. sicga123

sicga123

I can't really judge pricing. $40 seems reasonable to me, I'm in Germany anyway so I end up paying $50 with the VAT added on. As far as I'm aware all your assets get well developed and everyone purchased so far ends up being a bargain because there is so much content added. The problem is not the starting price but the asset store daily sale system, I think most people delay buying assets because they hope it will come on sale before they need to buy it to use it in development, I'm currently doing this with a couple of audio kits that I kinda need but won't use until halfway through January at least. This being the case it's hard to judge a price point entry. You've being selling PDM and the global proxy for some time and I recently got hold of skymaster so you're in the best position to judge what will make early adopters jump for it.

18. nasos_333

nasos_333

Thanks for the input. The store dynamics is hard to master unfortunately and i totally agree with the sale system comment, it would be best if at least there were a few more offers there, since currently there is no way to tell if you can ever be in a deal with so many assets. They did increase the rate of deals lately, but still it is hard to say if an asset will ever go on sale officially.

19. sicga123

sicga123

By the way, for all the comments above, I will be picking this up when it gets released, not waiting for a sale reduction. It's worth the asking price now so I'll get it to see how it develops. I bought the PDM at the early adopter price and that proved well worth while, and I really like the idea that plants may be added to this. You support these packages really well and add content on a regular basis, because of that I tend to grab your stuff when it gets released whether I am going to use it soon or not, I do the same with the mega-fiers creator. As regards the 2 audio kits I mentioned, neither of these have ever been on offer and both are over the $60 mark so it's worth waiting to buy just on the off chance they appear in a daily sale.

20. nasos_333

nasos_333

Nice, cant wait to see impressions on the system :).

I will definitly be updating this one a lot, there are still a huge number of ideas i am playing with and will polish them and release gradually after i submit the initial version.

Just finished another tree type and going to code clean up and polishing the base trees.

21. sicga123

sicga123

Interesting looking trees. I like the way quite a lot of effects that polish a game can be resourced from the same developer as it all integrates easier. PDM and skymaster, and now this. Skymaster I especially like because of the artistic choices one can make. I have a few similar assets but I prefer to make artsy aesthetic choices rather than realistic looking skies, even after you put in the realistic sky version I'll be using the arty one. Same with these trees. I appreciate the ability to customise them as I need. I get the impression that I can use infiniTree even in alien worlds through customisation with far less effort than is usually the case. It looks very appealing as assets go.

22. nasos_333

nasos_333

Thanks for the kind comments :), i am so glad that the assets find such good use, it is the ultimate reward for the effort.

And indeed, both Sky Master with the halo options and the tree system were made with ease of customization in mind. Alien plants should be very easy to put together with the right base assets.

The best part about the tree system development, is that i now have a very fast multithreaded mesh combiner that can be used for any other asset, like the one with the castle destruction that will come after the tree system, or a voxel terrain and world even.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  23. nasos_333

nasos_333

Procedurally created trees and thorny grass in the new InfiniTree demo.

UPDATE:

I have added a grass growing option as well, that will grow varied grass and follow terrain height, plus can be dynamic (can be erased, react to the hero, or anything else).

The LOD and models are still and will be for some time work in progress, so if the sample trees are heavy for a specific game, should not be made interactive, depending on their type and be replaced by more efficient lower polygon assets, especially for low ram systems. LOD parts are also rather early and im looking at the various options to deliver a more automated system to create the LOD parts. The new LOD system makes the demo trees run well even on my old laptop though, so it is a per case thing.

I have also added an erase tree option, to delete a tree on the fly. This would help when an interactive tree needs to fall down first and then dissapear for example, or when setting a whole forest on fire and need trees to dissapear inside the flames.

The submission will probably be done today, I am working around the clock to polish the demo and then will create a proper video and pics for the store. The new demo will also come in a few hours.

24. nasos_333

nasos_333

New InfiniTREE demo - showcasing LOD and final grouping AI system

Upcoming InfiniTREE with Sky Master demo

The first of the two final demos is ready !!!

InfiniTREE demo - tech showcase, with LOD system enabled
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/79230236/INFINIDY/TREE/InfiniTREE DEMOv1.0.html

The next demo will be the InfiniTREE system combined with Sky Master, to showcase the use in a more complete game environment. This demo will come tomorrow.

Some notes:
    You can use the "j" button to jump, it is easier to see the LOD system in action from above.
    Also the "Thorns" sample went in the last minute (with the newly added grass system) and are rather unoptimized (but still works fine after it is batched or on stronger than my laptop systems).

25. nasos_333

nasos_333

New video

26. sicga123

sicga123

Any news when this will be released? Have you submitted it yet for review? I was thinking that with a few changes it would probably be possible to grow skeletons out of the ground similar to the Ray Harryhausen movie. In theory with some amendment it could be sued for all sorts of weird magical like effects - say grow a wizard's tower out of the ground, stuff like that. Already jumping ahead. Shows a great deal of promise though.

27. nasos_333

nasos_333

Indeed, the system is already very expandable and i added the grass system in a few minutes of coding. The mesh generation in the first update would also allow for all kind of other effects, like branches growing dynamically in play mode with splines or physics (or any rule) for extra detailing of the most important trees.

I plan to also add a decal system, to add rocks etc near trees, that will also be simple to do with raycasts to grab the terrain normal.

I am submitting as i write this :), all is ready. I will release the 2ond demo today as well, i want to add one more of the library trees for more options.

Here is the current version of the Sky Master demo (it will get one more tree type and will re-upload). This is more taxing due to the volumetric clouds, but i wanted to have one demo in a cool environment, besides the performance one.

InfiniTREE Demo with Sky Master
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/79230236/INFINIDY/TREE/InfiniTREE w.SkyMaster DEMOv1.0.html

28. sicga123

sicga123

Took a look. For a beta release damn impressive really. I especially liked the way the pine tree grew. As it looks now for games with a stylized art style and a non-realistic aesthetic this is an ideal asset. I will pick it up as soon as it appears in the store. That's not to say that it will not suit the realistic look, I just happen to like stylized artsy aesthetics.

29. nasos_333

nasos_333

Thanks :), glad you like it. I just finished the submission, so it is on its way to the store.

It will be in the "Editor extensions / Modeling" category.

I hope the performance in the Sky Master demo was good, it run nice on my old PC, but any other input on this would be useful.

30. sicga123

sicga123

I had no issues with the performance and I don't have the best PC on the planet. In fact a recent benchmark proved it was pretty bad - better than only 24% of Home PCs. I develop HOPA games and intentionally use rather low spec machines because of it. That being the case, the performance of the skymaster demo was really good on a machine not really capable of much at all..

31. nasos_333

nasos_333

Thanks for the input, great to know it performs nice on older PCs.

Another thing to note is that the tree grouping is fully controllable, for example in faster PCs the static tree groups may have more than 12 memebers, since they can recombine faster more items, so everything is adjustable based on the required application.

I use 2 trees per interactive group and 12 per static, these can be changed and more categories can also be defined if needed. Also next updates will have an option to group trees by type, LOD distance and other features, for even more versatility. This way will be possible for trees to have different LOD distance definitions, since for example grass may need to go out before trees or smaller trees before larger ones etc.

32. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

The first phase of the mesh growth system is now stable and is getting polished. The idea is to now start growing smaller branches from the main one and then connect them with the batching system on the fly.

33. nasos_333

nasos_333

34. sicga123

sicga123

Picked the asset up this evening, hopefully I can get a chance to look at it in detail over the next few days, at a cursory examination seems top notch. Great work.

35. nasos_333

nasos_333

Great :), thanks for supporting the pack. A lot more systems are planned for upcoming updates to make it as versatile in tree creation as possible, including a spline and mesh generation system (90% done), a mesh sculptor and more.

Some things to keep in mind

- The sample trees are rather unoptimized and i would not recommend using them as they are in a heavy environment, like in big forests.
    - The tree grouping is set to 12 trees for static and 2 for dynamic trees. These provided a good balance between the group split time and draw call minimization ratio, but on a faster PC than mine, both groups could hold more members. On slower PCs if the decombination of the 12 trees creates a visible spike, the number should be lowered.
    - The L-tree system in the current version will split the branches with a specific growth chance rule, in the next version there will be per level control of growth, which means the various level of branching will be controlled individually for each level. This will allow the creation of longer and higher branches, without creating a huge ammount of higher level items.
    - The LOD system currently has one level, activated after a set distance, both the rules of the LOD and the distance can change in code with extra if statements inside the LOD region and more LOD levels & options are planned for the next update.
    - There is a lot of versatility in choosing the branch types, it can be done per level of growth and this helps a lot in the LOD replacements.
    - The LOD is based on finding the materials with LOD in their names and enabling this combined group when the LOD is activated. Make sure only LOD object materials have "LOD" in their names. Also the LOD parts do not have to be same as the tree parts. That means a level of growth that uses a branch type that has no LOD at all, can be used to optimized the polygon number in higher levels. In one of the samples i have the last growth level with zero LOD (nothing will appear in their place when LODed) and i use a branch with a texture for the lower level. This is just one technique, there are many more tricks that could be used with this system too to further enchance performance.
    - A hero (or camera holder) must be defined for the LOD system to work, either in the scene or by using the "Hero" tag.
    - I have noticed a slight issue with the displacement of branches when the scaling factor is high, it will need an offset based on each branch scale to have a more perfect connection to parent branches, and i am working on this for the next update.

These are my current observations after implementing it in my game and are my top priority to handle for the next update.

I also have a hotfix ready for the batch script, in case it is needed to be used outside the tree system. If there is such a need, i can send the updated file right away.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  36. nasos_333

nasos_333

Some extra notes:

I noticed a slight displacement of the branches, depending on scale that leaves some space between the branch and the parent one in some cases.

This is mainly due to the shape of the branch, i post a pic that shows how the branch must align perfectly with the Y local axis in its mid point (where the child branch will be attached to). This alignment will make sure all branches are properly attached to each other.

Also i found out that in the tree script i did not reset the branch translation (which is needed to create the next branch) and thus the branches have a displacement in Y axis and may appear to cross the parent one. I have solved this in the new script, which will come in the next update. A temporary solution is to parent the branch to a gameobject and give this as a branch, with the child displaced in Y axis towards the branch base.

If you would like the corrected script sooner, please contact me with the invoice and i will send it asap. I can also PM the code that fixes it (it is just one line), so no downloading is involved.

37. nasos_333

nasos_333

The new v1.1 has been submitted to the store and should be up this week.

It fixes the displacement issue with some of the branch joints to their parent branches (and also changes to the prefabs to use properly with the code change) and minor other changes for better branch alignment.

Also allows the batching system to be used outside the tree system, if desired.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  38. creat327

creat327

can you specify what is the grass system about? it grows?
    also, any performance test on mobile? I most work on android/ios

39. nasos_333

nasos_333

You can think about it as a tree without bark, with its branches spread over the terrain heights. So you can have all the perks of the tree system like LOD, branch type per level, dynamic grouping and batching, shader (by material) and gameobject based (dynamic tree) motion etc.

The grass may grow, like the tree branches, it can also have various levels of growth for any ammount of variety, so one system can give a wide variety of the same grass or flower if needed.

The grass implementation went in the system near the release, so i did not have the time to bring more examples, the next update will get a wider variety of examples for both trees and grass, with more LOD levels etc

Also i will script a few extra controls to make the choice of what level of branch gets spread easier and more user friendly.

I have not tested the system yet on mobile, but should be rather fast with the right kind of assets and lower levels of growth, in the static trees. The batching system will lower the draw calls and LOD will disable trees if needed in the distance. The dynamic trees could potentially be a problem, since they require a lot of draw calls locally (the tree group gets decombined while the hero is in the dynamic range).

The plan is to add a lot more control over the growth in the next update, so each growth level can have individual control of growth chances. This will help a lot when optimizing for mobile (and give an extra layer of control overall). Also i will offer an option to recombine per frame in dynamic trees, which in lower end assets will be possible and will help reduce draw calls in the dynamic state.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  40. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

InfiniTREE has just been updated to v1.1. This update fixes the issue with some of the branch joints and the related prefabs and adds the option to use the batching system as standalone, outside the tree system.

The next update(s) will bring Spline based tree growth and mesh generation, bark sculpting, forces (local gravity etc) and much more.

Enjoy the pack at half price in the ARTnGame Sale, for a limited time.

41. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

How can i chop a tree from your package?

42. nasos_333

nasos_333

It will have to be a dynamic tree, so the system will group it in a low tree number set and make it interactive when the hero is close. Then you can program any behavior instead of the simple motion i have as sample.

To emulate the full chop procedure there can be a number of ways. One is to separate the trunk in two parts and control the chop on collision and when done apply a rotation for all tree parts, instead of the bark lower part (must be moved from the bark parent).

Of course can be done in a much simpler way, by just applying the rotation to the whole tree, but wont be as realistic. Generally the chopping depends on the implementation and assets you will be using and is custom for each case.

I plan to provide a sample for chopping trees later as well, but that should take some time.

The procedure to use on the tree handler would be like:

1. define a current and start health parameters for the tree
    2. equalize them at start
    3. define a decrease for the current health when there is a collision to the bark with "axe" tag. This will require a script on the bark to grab the collision and a link to the tree handler to update the health when there is one.
    4. In the area of the tree handler code that implements the "interactive tree" check and features, remove the current code that moves the tree and add a rotation to emulate the tree fall, which will start after a check that health is below or equal to zero.
    5. after that check the rotation has finished (with a global variable) and destroy the tree (or just leave it there)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  43. nasos_333

nasos_333

I have put together a sample scene and a few changes for the chop scenario. I will post a WIP demo soon and i can PM the link to the scene very soon, probably in a few hours since it is already working great and only needs a bit polish in the ay the tree falls.

Please send me an email at artengame@yahoo.com with the invoice and i will send the chop sample pack when it is ready.

44. nasos_333

nasos_333

Last day before normal price is submitted, grab InfiniTREE at 50% less !!!

45. nasos_333

nasos_333

Normal price has been submitted to the store and will be up in a few hours (or days).

Make sure to grab the asset while in discount !!!

twobob likes this.
  46. nasos_333

nasos_333

v1.5 update summary:
    - Fixed displacement issue with leaves on parent branches

- Fixed issue with leaf growth, now leaves grow to their proper size every time
    - Added option to lower growth change per level
    - Removed "alternate_leaves" and "branch_prefab_per_level" options, now these are enabled by default when the lists of leaves - branches have more than one member
    - Added "Leaf_dist_factor" option, to control distance between created leaves
    - Added a new chop feature and complete demo scene, with sound, particles, procedural animation etc
    - Added shadow removal above a chosen level controls, for the dynamic phase, so this can reduce draw calls when the local trees are not batched exponentially !!!
    - Fixed a memory leak that duplicated all created meshes, now RAM use is exponentially lower !!!!
    - Added the first version of InfiniGRASS grass shader and motion in WIP folder. This can be used for production also, but i want to work a lot more on the final look and shading, so i place it in the WIP for this release.
    - Added the complete new spline and mesh growth demo in the WIP folder. These are not meant for production yet, but are cool so I wanted to share the work done so far and get feedback.
    - Added a "rotate towards normal" option to make the tree rotate towards the terrain normal when grown (or for real time rotation during gameplay along an arbitary vector). This option can also be enabled with each axe chop motion, so the tree can take angle gradually.
    - Added "leaf scale range" option, to vary the leaves scaling.
    - Automated the required tag creation.
    - Added a check against terrain for the mouse placement, now trees will conform to the ground if a click is made in a collider above ground. I will also provide an option to remove this check, if required to grow on various objects. This check will only work with Unity terrain.

The v1.5 update will be submitted early next week.

The asset is still on sale until the store review is done !!!

Grab it at half price hile the review period lasts !!!! ($40 instead of $80)

47. nasos_333

nasos_333

Unity 5 tree growing & chopping demo for InfiniTREE v1.5
    (it will play and be included for Unity 4 as well, without the image effects)

A webplayer will follow soon

twobob likes this.
  48. nasos_333

nasos_333

The price is back to normal.

Thanks everyone for the big support :), i cant wait to release the cool new features, enchancements and demos for v1.5 !!!

Special thanks to twobob for the cool suggestions, testing and help in creating this new version and the morale boost throughout.

49. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

BETA for InfiniTREE v1.5

The new version 1.5 is in a very advanced state and every customer that would like to have the new beta version, i can provide a dropbox link.
    Please let me know if there is interest in testing the beta. There is a massive number of updates, enchancements and new features, plus some of the cool WIP systems to play with (that will eb polished and released in the next version after v1.5)

I can provide the beta in two ways (dropbox links).

1. The whole v1.5 asset in Unity 5, with the new sample scene
    2. The update for Unity 4 version of the system

50. nasos_333

nasos_333

twobob likes this.