Search Unity

Octave3D-Level Design - Snapping, Prop placement, Multi-Prefab painting

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by XGT08, Aug 10, 2016.

?

Do you prefer written documentation or video tutorials? (regarding the Octave3D remake)

Poll closed Jun 10, 2023.
  1. Written documentation

68.8%
  2. Video tutorials

31.3%
  1. Jakub_Machowski

Jakub_Machowski

Hello i'm sorry if I ask something easy. But I'm using decor Paint and Idont udnerstand how OCtave choos defeault herigh over terrain, I just would to use original objects pivots and dont know how to set that, How to use original pivot as base snap during " Use original pivot" in snapping tools dont work in decor painting on terrain. is there any docuemntation? I cant find nothing only video tutorials where not everything is explained/ Thank you. this is very important we already prepared our pivots well. and now have we too arange pivots again in octave? we have a lot of objets, and it would mean our work with settings proper pivots was unneed. Please help

2. XGT08

XGT08

Hi @GrassWhooper

So regarding your inquiries :)
    1. collider gizmos - I don't know why that is happening. My only guess is that you disabled the gizmos in the Editor:
    Gizmos.png
    The tool only hides the object highlight by default. You can toggle the highlight on/off using the button highlighted in the next image:

ToggleWireframe.png

2. Block brush - there is already something similar to that, but not entirely the same and it is missing the spawn chance. However, it seems to produce fairly good results. In the Block Inspector, there is a toggle button called Randomize prefabs:

RandomPrefabs.png

When this is checked, the block will create objects from the prefabs inside the active category. Those prefabs are chosen randomly. NOTE: The block assumes objects with equal sizes along all axes. Ignoring this requirement will produce incorrectly placed objects (i.e. objects will intersect with each other).

3. Switching to selection mode will destroy the active prefab. In placement mode, it kind of makes sense for the prefab to always be active, because that is the purpose of the placement feature. I could implement a button that allows you to press it and destroy this prefab, but I will not make it part of an official update. Would this be Ok with you?

4. No. Most often than not, uniform scaling is the desired way to scale objects. It is certainly possible to do it otherwise, but I don't know how to implement it from UI standpoint. What keys/mouse buttons etc should be used to activate that? The UI is becoming more and more crowded and I really would not want to add additional settings for that. Same for hotkeys.

5. I usually use the tool with the following packs because I simply love them :)
    -3DForge;
    -Multistory Dungeons;
    -Abandoned Hospital;
    -Toon Forest Pack;
    -Voxel Blocks Pack;

Regarding requirements, the only requirement is for the assets to be modular if you plan on using the snapping functionality. And since the object to object snap functionality was introduced, this requirement has become a bit less important than it was before. If you want to use the tool for prop placement, there should really be no requirement.

Hope this helps,
    Andrew

Attached Files:

3. XGT08

XGT08

Hi there,

There is a separate option to use the original pivot for decor paint mode. You will find it inside the DecorPaint mode Inspector as seen in the picture below:
    DecorPaintPivot.png

The videos do not show all the settings and controls because these are added quite frequently and I would have to remake the videos for every change that I implement which is not something that I want to do :)

Let me know if this helps.
    Andrew

4. GrassWhooper

GrassWhooper

hey there.

yeah, that was really helpful.
    thanks for giving me all those pointers :) everything is loud and clear.
    also, big thanks for being nice enough to offer such extra help out of your way (such as adding the button to clear selection). but no need, i got used to it in any case, so its alright.

and yeah, i can totally see, why it would be a problem, since your tool really is getting cluttered (in a good way).

danrt50 and Mark_01 like this.
  5. XGT08

XGT08

Glad to hear it helped :)

I love the way you ended the sentence :D

GrassWhooper, danrt50 and Mark_01 like this.
  6. Jakub_Machowski

Jakub_Machowski

I dont see it in mu option. I downnloaded vesion few days from asset store. Myabe you uploaded it after that?

EDIT: I checked that you ulpaded new version few days ago! Thank you Also Why If using original pivot mouse is a liitle bit away from object?
    upload_2017-12-2_17-41-37.png

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  7. XGT08

XGT08

It has to be there. This was added in V 2.2.2.1. Make sure you are using the latest version.

8. im

im

Did you ever get chance to add TileEd like Auto Tile feature?

AGregori likes this.
  9. XGT08

XGT08

Hi there,

There was talk about this in the past but this feature has been abandoned for now.

10. XGT08

XGT08

@kubaskia

Please avoid editing your post when possible because I do not see any notification of those and I almost missed your reply. Since the original pivot is used, the mouse will sit where the pivot is. If the pivot is away from the object, that's where it will sit.

11. recon0303

recon0303

Hi I just bought Octave 3D today and watched most tuts. Now when I have a scene, that I have models, not prefabs. Can they be added?? So in your scene you have already.. you hovered the Fire Hydrant then hit "R" ..I did the same, and it didn't add it to the category. Can we not use models? also does it always need a collider first?

Thanks.

12. XGT08

XGT08

Hi there,

Yes. When picking objects from the scene you need the objects to be prefab instances. I remember having some trouble with regular non-prefab models.

You never need colliders for anything except terrains.

13. recon0303

recon0303

Ya I just read the docs in detail, noticed this as well. No problem. I'm still loving the tool...Nice to use with Gena..I was using Snazzy tools for years, yours does much more I was just going to make my own, but the sale, made me decide to just buy yours and give it a whirl. I will just use yours, already has most functions I want...

I can always add my own, which I do with some tools anyways.

Nice job by the way.

Mark_01 and XGT08 like this.
  14. recon0303

recon0303

I should of read the docs first, it has much more.. there was some functions I noticed, and was thinking it would be great to have it reset to the default scale, rotation.. etc, and bam you are able to with "i" ....

Glad you are thinking like a level designer. with this tool.... Something Unity has been lacking.. badly.

Ty again.

XGT08 likes this.
  15. XGT08

XGT08

:) I am glad to hear that. Yes, it has many features and it is a bit hard to advertise them and let people know about them. I am hoping the tutorial videos will work, but I still think it is not enough. I might decide to do a Let's build series in which I just show how to build different environments. That way people can see how all features can be used together nad not in isolation.

StevenPicard, Mark_01 and Regularry like this.
  16. recon0303

recon0303

Well, people just need to read docs, the docs are plenty, and having the tutorials you have now are fine. I typically read docs, and tutorials first. But was a bit behide on some work so I was in a rush, fighting with another tool that was being buggy with its grid.... so I decided to buy yours as I had enough of that other tool and fighting with it.

The docs show everything, and explained well, Thanks.

only issue I seen so far. and I may be doing wrong, is when I place say a prefab of building, as an example....Then decide I want to move it later....It does not allow me to.. I can't not select it to move it again.. I will read the docs more to see maybe I missed something.

Also wish we could add models as well. Because for example, we have a few assets we are using for testing, from the store....They will be ditched later, I'm using pieces of it, which aren't prefabs, so wish we could use models as well.

anyways so far that's really all I see that I kinda dislike at the moment, everything else is nice.. and works well.

17. recon0303

recon0303

I figured this out, I need to be in object selection mode.

18. recon0303

recon0303

I would like to make a suggestion if I may, I'm a UX/UI Designer so I tend to look at stuff like this. What would be nice to add, is a smaller quick select window, where say we can add short cuts to, so we don't have to try to remember all those short cut keys.... having a smaller window where we can add commands that we use alot of in its own window... Or common ones.... I know we have the inspector with some already.... but I mean, a smaller window with just common commands... This would help speed things up more and we won't have to TRY to remember so many short cuts...

I use Zbrush a lot and that's what I did, is made smaller windows with my common functions, commands that I do...and it helps so much. Just a thought..

19. XGT08

XGT08

Yes, indeed I can definitely see how that can be useful. So essentially, you're talking about a window where you can change/customize the shortcut keys. Is that right?

Regarding the issue with models, I don't know if that's going to work. So when you say models, you mean objects that are not instances of prefabs? Or models as assets? If you mean models as assets, I really can not do anything about that. But if you mean objects that are not connected to a prefab, then the plugin still works with those in the sense that you can still select them, place objects on them etc. You can not however press the R key to create a prefab from them.

Mark_01 likes this.
  20. recon0303

recon0303

yes

For example, I will use the Post Apoc pack, since I have used it before, I model everything myself. so for example...in that pack, they have PreFabs folders, 1,2,3 etc Model 1, 2, 3 etc... So that way you can use part of the 3D model, vs the Prefab... So you can just add part of the 3D model...So in that pack, they have building PreFabs, that are all grouped together....So say if someone wanted to use, just the pipe on the roof, which is a 3D model..basically a game object.

Just with out a prefab.... Other wise, what I was doing, is having to make prefabs for each piece I wanted to use.. Again when I do block outs, testing, I do not worry about Prefabs as much ...Until i'm done with that area... or what I called Grouped Model...aka Prefab.

Hope that makes sense.

PS: Sorry I tend to make a lot of tools, and I was going to make one like this, but seen the sale, so it has me thinking, of other things that can make this tool much more..again, you don't have to add it... I tend to add alot of stuff on my own to many tools anyways.. but figured others may like these ideas and find it useful to make the tool that much better than it already is..

Thanks

Mark_01 and Kennth like this.
  21. recon0303

recon0303

I don't want to edit the other post.. So yes, as I said, but it also would be a moveable window so we can dock it in the scene area if we wanted...it could be a smaller window so the user can change out what they want.. and make it easier using common commands... so think of it as some users wont remember short cuts and have easier access to these commands... but in the scene, having a window they can move and work, hope that makes sense, if it don't let me know I can draw up something on Photoshop real fast.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    Kennth likes this.
  22. recon0303

recon0303

yes this is what I mean. I'm still not able to move it, I'm I missing something? I been messing with it on and off through the day.

Edit: Odd, now it works soon as I typed this.. I used Object Selection. wasn't working right away. Now it is. Ya seems buggy, I have to keep refreshing the scene after each model I drop for it to work, main reason I didn't know that it did, if I refresh it after each model, it works.... This is still the best tool on the store for modular based models, and snapping models together, and I have used them all... Keep up the great work.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  23. XGT08

XGT08

Yes. Indeed. Forgot to mention that. There is an issue with objects that you place manually in the scene. It's a bit hard to explain why that happens. Basically it has to do with a memory bug which I was unable to fix in the past. So the behaiovur can be fixed by capturing the hierarchyWindowChanged event in the editor, but for some reason, this causes the garbage collector to go nuts.

This interaction system that Octave uses has to work without colliders so I basically had to implement my own version of Unity's Physics API to make it work. The problem is that I am missing certain events that would be useful for me to make this system as efficient and stable as possible. Nonetheless, I will take a look at it again and maybe I can fix that memory issue. If I can do that, you should be able to interact with those objects with no problem.

Regarding the command window, I think I understand how it should behave. But if you could do something in photoshop, that would be great!

24. recon0303

recon0303

Sure, I would be happy to, do you have an email I can send it to or Skype?

Far as the other issue, when I refresh the scene, it works fine. I have to do it after placing each model. Ya Unity always has some new fun issues to deal with...UGH.

25. recon0303

recon0303

I made a quick wire frame and a image in Photoshop, no way can I design the whole thing... in wire frame format no time, sorry in the middle of a game for Steam, a mobile game and another for a client, so i,m slammed with work. , but I did a few small areas, so you understand where I'm going with it, if I had more time I would spend more time making a whole wire frame, but I think you should be able to understand it. I hope you understand wire frame work flow?

I made a image for part of it as well, but the wire frame is needed to explain in further detail. I made the wire frame in Photoshop really fast... I typically use programs for wire framing, but this should be ok for this... Let me know if you have any questions..... I would be happy to answer if you aren't sure. I just need a place to send this. Email would be best.

Thanks.

26. XGT08

XGT08

Wireframe is fine. I just need a guide. E-mail is the preffered choice for me too. Thanks!

27. GrassWhooper

GrassWhooper

hey again, a quick question,
    what would be the best method to place stairs?
    i tried, with the path placement mode, but i can't seem to get them to keep moving up, a piece by piece.

basically, i got a one small "stairs" prefab, and i want to make one long staircase using that small stairs prefab, and i am not really sure how to go along with this, any ideas? (especially, since some stairs, do contain "Railings" on their right and left(i am using 3D Forge models)).

28. XGT08

XGT08

Hi there,

You will need to take advantage of the grid features to move up/down. Please have a look at the following video tutorial in which I demonstrate how to build multi-story environments with stairs and such: VIDEO.

Mark_01 likes this.
  29. GrassWhooper

GrassWhooper

ah really cool, thanks.

30. indie_dev85

indie_dev85

Hi Andrew,

Really Octave 3D is a gem,it make level design so fluent.

One feature request,can you please add some sort of measurement UI while placing prefabs in block mode(example prefab count or distance from start point)

Thanks

XGT08 likes this.
  31. XGT08

XGT08

Hi there,

That is strange. I checked and indeed it does not show. The strange thing is I implemented that functionality quite some time ago, but the reason it wasn't working anymore is because it was covered by some other labels that I have added recently.

I have modified the package to show that info. Please send me an e-mail at octamodius@yahoo.com so that I can send you the package. Note: This info is not shown for Path mode. It is only available for the Block mode.

32. tcz8

tcz8

Hi,

I have been loading all our prefabs in your tool and am finding it a little hard to manage so many categories in a single drop down list.

For now I have been working with multiple PCFG files to keep stuff organized without cluttering the categorie list but Its a pain to have to reload those prefab configs all the time.

Is it possible to create sub categories?
    Or is there some other means to work around constant reloading while keeping stuff separated?

Another reason I need this is to keep or structure. A substential amount of our assets are organised using sub folders with similar names ie.:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Farm
    2.    |-Vehicles
    3.    |-Buildings
    4.    |-Environment
    5.    |-Characters
    7. City
    8.    |-Vehicles
    9.    |-Buildings
    10.    |-Environment
    11.    |-Characters
    (Code insert is only to preserve formating)

And the list of top categories goes on and on with a good number of assets underneat each sub folders. Merging this would be hell.

Thank you,
    Fred.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  33. tcz8

tcz8

I also have a 2nd question.

Everytime I add Octave to one of my scenes I start having random imports in Unity (or at least it seems random).

I'm just working in the editor and out of nowhere I get this very annoying window:

upload_2017-12-6_16-24-30.png

What is going on?

34. XGT08

XGT08

This has absolutely nothing to do with Octave3D. Some info can be found here and on google.

As for the other question, it is not possible to have subcategories, but it is possible to use tags which if I think about it can be thought of as categories. So you can for example have a Farm category and the prefabs inside this category can be assigned to tags like Vehicles, Buildings, Character etc. Then you can turn tags on/off to show/hide prefabs inside the category. You can take a look at this video in which I explain tags in more detail.

Mark_01 likes this.
  35. passionfruit

passionfruit

Hi,

just wondering how the object selection mechanism works for placed objects (raycasting mesh or?) when in selection mode as some objects are difficult to select unless I drag a selection box but then I end selecting additional objects behind the target object.

Some objects can be clicked on and selected directly eg floor tiles, but things like walls and props (eg furniture) usually can't and require a drag selection.

This can also make it difficult to use functionality like holding t and clicking/double clicking an object to move the grid.

Is there support for "selection masks" eg only select things in this group/tag/layer etc?

I'm using the Dirty Apartments modular set from Triplebrick.

cheers

36. XGT08

XGT08

Hi there,

The selection mechanism uses a raycast against the mesh (or terrain collider for terrain objects) to select objects. The behaviour you are describing is probably related to the fact that those objects (which can not be selected) have been added manually in the scene (regular Unity interface). For this reason, the plugin does not know about them and they do not participate in the raycasting process. Can you press the Refresh scene button in the Inspector and see if this fixes it?

Selection masks are not supported for now.

37. passionfruit

passionfruit

Thanks for the quick reply.

On further examination the issue seems to be that I am getting a null reference exception inside GameObjectSphereTree.RaycastAllMesh(Ray ray) where it checks if the renderer component is enabled. If I also check if the renderer is non null then it seems to work.

When I look at the object that causes the exception it has a child game object with a box collider for collision that also has a mesh filter component on it but no meshrenderer component (for some unknown reason).

Either way checking that the renderer is not null seems to fix it.

cheers

38. XGT08

XGT08

Ok. Thanks for the info. I will write this down and fix it for the next update. I believe invisible geometry sometimes is used for collision purposes??? Although in this case, if the invisible geometry does not have a mesh collider (or any collider for that matter) I do not see the purpose of it being there.

So did you fix this yourself, or would you like me to send you an update with the fix?

39. passionfruit

passionfruit

Yeah the set up seems a bit strange :)

I fixed it myself so everything is fine

thanks

40. GrassWhooper

GrassWhooper

hey there.
    so just thought i'd share my set up.
    basically, in one level, i got 2 Octave 3D Builder scripts, and i relied heavily on the "Attach Objects To Group" in order to organize my objects and whatnot. (i have a Lot of categories, so i decided to split my Level Building Categories/Groups into an entirely different Octave3D Builder Object/Script.
    and put the Proping up (level set dressing) groups/categories into a different one.
    recently, i added 2 terrains.

here is the issue.
    if i click on the one Octave3D Builder GameObject (let it load categories and whatnot) then then i click on the other (and wait for it to finish) and then i add multiple objects using A>1 mode. and then i move to one of the terrains (sometimes, i need to repeat this process few times) then unity Crashes

i am using unity 2017.3.0f3 i do not honestly know if this is an Octave 3D Issue, or a unity issue.
    but i thought i'd mention it.
    also, thanks for your hard work.

41. XGT08

XGT08

Hi there,

Sorry for the late reply :)
    So as I understand this issue happens when you place stuff on the terrain? When you say "then I move to one of the terrains ... then Unity crashes". Do you mean that you zoom in towards the terrain or you hover it with the cursor?

Does the issue repeat when you are using a single Octave3D instance in the same scene?

42. GrassWhooper

GrassWhooper

i did test out with one Octave3D Builder Object, in a new scene that is empty.
    and with "move to one of the terrains" i meant i "select one of the terrains from the hierarchy"
    apparently in my new scene test, even without attempting to place anything, this issue happens.

though, i guessing it is a unity 2017.3 issue (honestly, before upgrading to unity 2017.3 i was not doing anything related to terrains so i can not know for sure)
    but unity has a habit of breaking things when updating :D (well, any software has that).

43. MoribitoMT

MoribitoMT

Hi,

I would like talk about some mini issues creates problem in workflow.

1. In Prefab Manager, whenever I change Active Category, Object Group also changes, resets itself. For example I designed Level 1 ( Object group Level_001 ), then I started to design Level 2 ( Object group Level_002 ), I changed Active Category to Probs, and Object group changes from Level_002 to back to Level_001. This creates annoying problem move all objects manually to under Level_002 again.
    Screen Shot 2017-12-24 at 15.43.31.png

2. My second issue is removing active categories from list ( without deleting them in scene ), I know there is a option "is not a group" by right clicking object itself, however If I have 100 groups, I will be very hard to find each object in scene and make them not group. It would be great an option "Remove group without deleting in scene" beside "Destroy active group"
    Screen Shot 2017-12-24 at 15.47.41.png

Regards.

44. XGT08

XGT08

Hi there,

1. There are 2 ways in which you can work with object groups. One way is by using the group associated with the active category and the other way involves switching between groups manually. In your case I believe you are using the first option. In order to switch to manual activation, you have to uncheck the following toggle button:
    ObjGroupUncheck.png

So when this is checked, the objects will be spawned inside the group associated with the active category. When not checked, the objects will be attached to the active group.

2. I am not sure I understand the second issue. When you remove a prefab category, no objects should be deleted from the scene. I just made a simple test with a single object group associated with a category. When deleting a prefab category associated with that group, the objects still remain. The object group also remains untouched. Can you describe the steps of how I can reproduce this issue?

Cheers,
    Andrew

MoribitoMT likes this.
  45. MoribitoMT

MoribitoMT

Hi,

1. Solved my problem, thanks.

2. Here is an example. I designed Level_004, my job is finished with Level_004. I want to remove it from groups, if I click "Destroy Active Group" the Level_004 parent deleted from scene.

Screen Shot 2017-12-25 at 11.02.29.png

46. XGT08

XGT08

Ok. I understand. So you want to remove the group but keep the actual game object. I will implement a button for that.

Mark_01 and MoribitoMT like this.
  47. MoribitoMT

MoribitoMT

Exactly. That was the thing I tried to explain. Otherwise I was looking 10s of game object in the scene and right clicking on them to make it "Is Not A Group", it was a hard job to do.

48. XGT08

XGT08

Ok. Thanks for letting me know. I think I will start working on it tomorrow if that is OK with you. I had my parents over for Christmas and did not have a chance to start working on it :D

Mark_01 and MoribitoMT like this.
  49. XGT08

XGT08

@MoribitoMT

Hello,

I have sent you a PM with a link to the updated package :)

MoribitoMT likes this.
  50. Dee_Lucky

Dee_Lucky

Does anyone else has the problem with "Different serialization" on build?