Search Unity

[Released] Mega-Fiers. A mesh deformation system - RELEASE

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by SpookyCat, May 18, 2011.

1. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

That would be the Vertex Paint modifier http://www.west-racing.com/mf/?page_id=1292
    It should work on Skinned meshes but the modifier requires a colldier to raycast against and for a skinned animated character that could be an issue.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  2. SwiftIllusion

SwiftIllusion

Hoping to ask, I've been trying to use Mega Ripple for a makeshift wind effect on my tree tops, which I like and mostly works, however when a new tree is spawned/brought out from a pool, it seems to 'pop/snap' weirdly momentarily, even though its settings don't seem to change.
    Is that related to https://forum.unity.com/threads/meg...ion-system-release.89750/page-38#post-1827860 I saw, or is this a separate issue?
    I've tried every combination of settings for it I could imagine but couldn't find anything that worked.
    On a separate note, unless I have 'dynamic mesh' selected, when the prefab the branches are a part of starts at scale 0 it loses its mesh filter target.
    Would really appreciate some help/suggestions for this.

3. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

@SwiftIllusion Could you possibly submit a support ticket at the website and maybe send a link to a video showing what you are doing and the problem, I can take a look for you then. Also not sure I understand the second question, again if you could outline the steps to recreate that in the ticket I can look into it.

4. led_bet

led_bet

Hey SpookyCat. Wanted to give you heads up of an issue I've run into using the Mega Melt modifier. When I try to modify the amount on the modifier, Unity locks up for a second or more while calculating the resulting mesh. I think this is due to an issue with the editor script for that particular modifier because when I change the same values via script, I don't see the same performance issues.

5. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Hi There, not able to recreate that here and not had any other reports, if you could submit a support ticket and outline the steps to recreate the problem that would be helpful.

6. WimB

WimB

Hi @SpookyCat

I am using unity 2019.1.14f1 with Megafiers and getting the following error

ets\Mega-Fiers\MegaCache\Scripts\MegaCacheOBJ.cs(99,46): error CS0117: 'Application' does not contain a definition for 'isWebPlayer'

My target platform is android

Any suggestions please
    Regards

7. rubble1

rubble1

Hey, I've been checking this out for bit, I love how you've brought to Unity a lot of the nice things that you have in Max or Maya. I wanted to know about the path/spline features.
    Suppose I have some cartoon characters, with rubbery arms. Can I attach a spline/path's points to an external object, like say a character's bone?

8. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Not sure I quite understand, but a MegaShape is a gameobject lika any other so it can be added as a child to any object. If you want to link a spline knot to a gameobject position then that would be a simple bit of scripting to just use the MegaShape.MoveKnot method.

9. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Only a few hours left to grab MegaFiers at half price :)

10. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

11. rubble1

rubble1

Hey, these are really cool. Is there a way to have these deformers affect collisions?

12. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

You can tell the system to update the mesh colliders if you want.

rubble1 likes this.
  13. FamilyGamesTime

FamilyGamesTime

I own megafiers, is it possible to make a squishy ball (sphere) of clay that you can poke your finger into and it leaves an indented circle? This has had me stumped for a long time now.

14. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

@FamilyGamesTime - Please submit a support ticket at our website and we can help you out.

15. abramelingames

abramelingames

Hi @SpookyCat

I have opened several tickets with my invoice number from your website and I have not yet obtained support. Could you check it please.

There are many problems that I am encountering with your assets, I hope you can help me solve them.

16. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Just submitted a small update to MegaFiers to the Asset store, this makes MegaFiers fully compatible with Unity 2019 and 2020.

led_bet and Ony like this.
  17. cloverme

cloverme

On the melt feature, is there anything to make the melt effect affected by another gameobject/mesh?

led_bet likes this.
  18. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Small update available in the Asset Store that now gracefully warns you if you are trying to modify a mesh that is not readable. In previous versions of Unity all meshes could be read and changed with no problems, but recent updates to Unity changed that and by default all objects are imported as non readable which meant if you tried to deform an object it would vanish and the console would show an error saying the mesh was not readable. Now you will see a warning in red in the inspector saying you need to change the import settings for that object. Once that change is applied the Warning will go away and the mesh will deform as you need.

Fibonaccov, led_bet and MikeUpchat like this.
  19. Foxaphantsum

Foxaphantsum

Heyo, I was just checking out this asset and it looks amazing.

I had a question related to it. I've been working on a custom base character rig in blender. It's purpose is to ideally be used to create both female/male characters from (and sharing the same skeleton), as well as modify features, muscles and proportions. I was also hoping to achieve the ability to have clothes work automatically to whatever customization someone makes. I was originally looking into blend-shapes in blender, however discovered that they require merging modifiers (something I'd hoped to avoid)

My question is do you think this asset would be capable of helping me with this problem? I saw the Daz3d example and was impressed to see the ability to merge between female/male as well as change so many attributes. However I'm unsure if this can also apply to a custom blender model

20. Image3d

Image3d

Hi Cris...I am trying to use the point cache modifier, but when i choose the .mdd file it gives the followin error:

ArgumentException: Destination array is not long enough to copy all the items in the collection. Check array index and length.
    System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentException (System.ExceptionResource resource) (at <fb001e01371b4adca20013e0ac763896>:0)

Unity is version 2020.1.3f1

Can you help?

21. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

If you can submit a support ticket, and if you could include all the error in the console and also if possible share a link to the fbx and mdd file I can take a look.

22. Lisepine

Lisepine

Hi Cris . i'm make prefab megafier object. but this object meshfilter mesh is null. please help....
    sadf.png

23. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

@Lisepine If you could submit a support ticket at our website we can help you out there.

24. projectorgames_unity

projectorgames_unity

Curious if this went anywhere - I would *really* like the real-time spring stuff you demonstrated for this.

25. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

MegaCar has grown a lot since then to be a rather complete Vehicle (not just cars but planes, boats, helicopters) system, it is being used in our own game project, which we have been working on for quite some time, and things like the Spring system and I think at the last quick count I did 40-50 custom systems for all things related to vehicles. I have a few people ask recently if the Spring system is available and if I get some spare time I might turn that into a quick Asset. We have started building content for a blog about the game and its development which will include articles on the systems I have done and that will appear sometime soon at the games website www.macspeedee.com
    An couple of examples of the systems I have done are below.

26. projectorgames_unity

projectorgames_unity

Well,I can guarantee at least 1 sale if you do decide to finish off MegaSpring as a single asset - ditto the tyre deformation stuff!

27. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

Traffic system looks amazing, never seen one with so many features and one that works so well, loads of cars as well, guess that is using some custom vehicle system?

28. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Yes, I think it mentions in the video that the vehicles use a csutom system, but they can all have spinning and steering wheels, trailers or articulated vehicles, their own weight, power and handling values, there is suspension movement for braking and cornering, bikes lean in corners etc. It has since also been extended to handle crowds and general pedestrians.

29. b1gry4n

b1gry4n

Would megafiers be an option for something like deformation in cloud mesh objects? Aside from rendering the cloud shader itself, would it be possible to have many cloud mesh objects that are being deformed similar to the following video? Im specifically talking about when the character flies into the cloud and it appears to split apart. Timestamped at 15:47

30. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

The Authour of True Clouds used the MegaCache part of the system to play back an animated smoke system as seen in the video below. But it really depends on whether you are happy with playing back a baked animation of want a fully procedural system. MegaFiers probably doesnt have a single modifier that will do what is shown in the video procedurally but the Point Cache or Obj Cache will play back any kind of baked animation of mesh. Might be worth reacing out the Tru Clouds authour and get his feedback.

31. netpost

netpost

@SpookyCat I just bought Mega-fiers.
    I already watched all of your tutorials and Mega-Fiers seems like an amazing asset!
    I was curious to know if a mesh need to be combine to be modified. In my first tests, I loaded a starship fighter, insert the object modifier along with the stretch modifier but only parts of the starship is modified, a bit like the mesh was treated as a multipart mesh. I have no problem modifying single meshes (capsule, box sphere,etc...) so perhaps I am missing a step? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

32. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

The modifier stack is applied to the object that the stack is on, so if you object is made up of multiple objects each with different meshes then you will need to deform each object seperatley, depending on the deformation being made and the effect you want you can match up the deformation but changing the Gizmo and or Offset values, and maybe the rotation and scale values. I did start on a group deform system but no one has needed that or asked for it, usually objects being deformed are a single mesh. You can off course combine your model if it has multple submeshes.

Tip, the Offset value should be the local offset from the child object to the parent one. so if you had say 4 Unity cubes side by side, and wanted them to bend as one you would apply the Bend modifer to each, set the Bend Angle and other values for each and then set the Offset for cube 0 to 0,0,0, for cube1 to 0,0,1 cube2 to 0,0,2 and son on assuming in this case they are lined up along the z axis. Probably best to do via a script.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  33. netpost

netpost

@SpookyCat Thanks for the quick reply.
    It make sense. thanks for the tip and infos.

34. Foxaphantsum

Foxaphantsum

Heyo sorry to ask the same question again but I'm on the verge of buying the asset I just wanna confirm if it'll be ideal for my use case.

I'm creating character creation sliders for stuff like height, breast size, arm muscle/hand sizes. I was also looking into the possibility that I could make a male/female template, and morph between them for people who want something in between. Ideally it'd be cool to morph select parts however morphing just the entire base would be great too.

This asset has a ton of cool stuff that interests me but this is essential if I am gonna purchase it.

Thanks and have a good day.

35. netpost

netpost

@SpookyCat

I have a few questions if you don't mind. Using unity 2019.3.13f1, I am testing the space wrap feature using the video tutorials as a reference. Curiously when adding the bind modifier to my mesh, it does not take into consideration the Space warp Box I created. so even if the mesh is not passing thru the space warp box, the modify is apply to the mesh.

Here are steps I am using:

1-create a new empty object and assigning a Warp stretch modifier,name it WarpStretch
    2- assigning the modify object component to my main mesh
    3-assigning the warp bind component to my main mesh
    4-Assigning the WarpStretch in the Bind warp object field of my main mesh

Now when I move my main mesh it is stretching even if I am not within the Warp stretch box zone. Like the bind is always working and don't care about the Warp Stretch box area.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

36. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

That is expected behaviour with the default values, the box for the warp does not define the extents of the warp, by default the warp will effect the entire world space, if you don't want that to happen then change the decay values either on the Warp object or in the Bind settings.

37. netpost

netpost

@SpookyCat

That's good to know. :rolleyes:

That solved the problem. Thank you! :)

38. Foxaphantsum

Foxaphantsum

@SpookyCat this will be my last post so not to spam.

I do know the asset has claimed it can handle character creation related stuff however the examples I saw seemed to cover existed modeling assets or template systems, so I just wanted to verify before purchasing.

I'm also not even looking to buy the asset while on sale, I'm fully okay paying full price for it as long as I know it could help me.

39. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

@Anisoft - What you are wanting to do can be done with regular Blendshapes in Unity, or am I missing something?

40. Foxaphantsum

Foxaphantsum

I think blendshapee could work fine for most everything except for blending between two templates. (Masculine <-> Feminine).

I'd like to allow players to use a slider to define how masculine or feminine they are using two base meshes.

As if now I'm struggling to figure out how that'd be done alone while also maintaining the blendshapes for each template.

I was also concerned about clothes fitting the characters but I assume the shrinkwrap modifier is intended for such cases.

41. netpost

netpost

@SpookyCat

Hi,

Using unity 2020.2.1f1. When creating a megashape spline the handles are not showing even if "show handle" is enabled both when creating the spline and in the spline common parameters.

Also I had to erase the mega grab script to get rid of some console errors.

Thanks for your help!

42. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

A small update in the Assetstore, this fixes an issue with the Wrap system where meshes that did not approximately match the bounds of the target mesh did not wrap correctly, this has slowed down the initial wrapping setup time but I will get that fixed in a future update. I have also updated the Scroll system, you now no longer have to add and set up the Bend modifiers, just add the MegaScroll script to your flat scroll object and it will setup a working scroll for you, you are off course free to adjust the values in the Bend modifiers to change the look.

Changes in v3.52
    • Updated the Scroll system will now automatically at Bend modifiers to the object with setup values making it much simpler to use.
    • Fixed an issue with the wrap system where meshes would not wrap correctly, this has meant slower times for initial setup but hopefully can fix that in a future update.
    • Removed the 'Random' error in DOFCamera script on Unity 2020 versions and above.

led_bet likes this.
  43. netpost

netpost

@SpookyCat

That's great! Thanks for the update.

44. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

45. mjl3bd

mjl3bd

I purchased the bundle to use MegaCache to import an OBJ sequence. My OBJ sequence has an MTL and two texture image files associated with each frame. I can import the OBJ sequence and it will build the megacache file and the animation will playback, but only with the same single material on each frame.
    Does MegaCache support per frame materials? If so, how do i import them or set it up? If I have to I will apply the textures to each frame manually, but I don't see any place for the material for each frame, just the single material on the mesh renderer in main megacache object.

Thanks!

46. villaman

villaman

Hello, will all the Megafiers functionality work with submeshes?

For example, let's say I have a cube, and I want a different material on each face. The way to do this in Unity is to create 6 submeshes.

If I do this, will Megafiers recognize all the submeshes together for the purposes of deformation? For the purposes of deformation I would want the object to act as a unified cube and not have to add deformers separately to each submesh.

Or will only the warp/wrap modifers work? Also, I am generating these meshes at runtime, so I cannot do any editor-time "combining".

thanks

ps) It seems to me that the Megafiers "Page" model is using some kind of submesh system. True? As it seems to allow three materials (front page, back page and side) to be added to it. And the "flip" applies to the whole mesh. Maybe if the "Page" model is not using a submesh approach, I could instead use the strategy used by the "Page" model for my cube?

Can the page model have pages (i.e. textures which act as page content) added at runtime? Essentially in my use case, the users are providing the textures at runtime.

47. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

@villaman - MegaFiers will deform all the mesh as one regardless of how many materials are applied to the Object. MegaFiers does also have a Material Selection Modifier so you can deform only the vertices that are using a set material (there are other selection modifiers available).
    Also just so you are awhere that we have released MegaFiers 2 which has a lot of new features not least the Group system where multiple objects can be deformed as one.

48. villaman

villaman

Great, thanks. I was talking about Megafiers-2, but maybe I posted to the wrong forum?

49. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Arr OK, this is the thread for the original MegaFiers release, there is another thread for MF2. Note MF2 does not have material selection instead uses vertex colors to control the deformation per vertex.

50. mjdalways

mjdalways

I see Megafier is up for a lightning deal. If purchased would it qualify for a free Megafier 2 upgrade, and if not what would be the cost? I saw a post that said $100, but given that Megafier and Megafier2 are both $150 new is that still true?