Search Unity

50% OFF Game Kit Controller: Engine with melee, weapons, vehicles, crafting & more! 3.75

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by sr388, Sep 1, 2015.

?

What features/systems do you prefer to arrive sooner for next updates on GKC?

1. AI behaviors options, able to drive vehicles and fire turret weapons

25.6%
  2. Armor/cloth system: stats, damage resistances, etc… & character aspect customization (fallout)

29.9%
  3. Cover System and Climb system based on Breath of the wild and Assassins Creed

36.1%
  4. Online multiplayer (using mirror as first solution and include others later)

42.1%
  5. VR integration including 1st/3rd person and locked views

10.3%
  6. Full body awareness (FBA) to see player’s legs, body and arms in first person

18.4%
  7. More types of controls, similar to Diablo, MOBA & RTS and similar genres

10.7%
  8. More tools/creator wizards on the asset workflow (tell about them)

13.5%
  9. Integrations with other assets (tell about them)

16.7%
  10. More RPG/Scifi elements/mechanics (tell about them)

12.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. neoshaman

neoshaman

That's a wizard straight up from the matrix

sr388 likes this.
  2. sr388

sr388

Haha, indeed. For the final update, the new model will be included, with many different armor/cloth pieces to customize and to try the character customization as well. Here an example of a set using also a new example of melee weapon with an option to mark and track targets, similar to the boomerang of wind waker:

Regards.

StevenPicard, Mark_01 and Kennth like this.
  3. Kennth

Kennth

WOW, this keeps getting better and better ;-)

I am wondering @sr388 , If it might be possible to talk to Infinity PBR The
    Game Modules - Stats, Inventory, Skills, Items, Conditions & More,

Might it be possible to integrate this into GKC ? I have wanted to do a
    might and magic type of game with turn based combat or like a choice it
    would go into turn based when you pushed a key .. like " enter "

sr388 likes this.
  4. sr388

sr388

Thanks, much appreciated to hear that :D

About that asset, I haven't tried it so far, but from the little I have seen from it, I think it would mostly work out of the box with any asset, so it should be possible to use it without much changes or additions.

But for the current elements on GKC, it already contains systems for stats, inventory, skills, configure conditions and mny more RPG elements, which will keep receiving more improvements, examples and workflow tools as well.

Also, more mechanis and genres will be worked during 4.0 version, as 3.0 will be complete this year, including RTS, turn based combat, diablo/moba style and more.

Regards.

5. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here a test for the scene manager to move objects to ride in between scenes for external vehicle controllers, such as malbers animal controller for example:

Regards.

EN_Games likes this.
  6. neoshaman

neoshaman

I'm wondering if this can work on open world, if a chunk unload because too far then reload because player come back to the chunk interactive range.

sr388 likes this.
  7. sr388

sr388

There are assets which can use async load of scenes of parts of them ingame, as in this case, the above video uses the async load function to change of scene.

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/terrain/easy-open-world-192659?aid=1011lkCqR

I think this asset for example use that type of functions to have large game worlds made of many different scenes. So it shouldn't be problem in using it like that for example.

Regards.

EN_Games likes this.
  8. sr388

sr388

Good news everyone.

I am happy to announce that Game Kit Controller is 40% OFF during the Summers Sale on the Asset Store!

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

Regards.

EN_Games likes this.
  9. neoshaman

neoshaman

So that mean huge load hitch like in the video? That would negate the seamlessness of open world!

10. sr388

sr388

No, I guess that type of assets use streaming or similar to load and unload elements on the scene, so in that case, the player would remain the same and moving across the full level.

I haven't used any streaming system on unity, but there are a few solutions and I have seen a few users with some of them and GKC without problem.

Regards.

11. neoshaman

neoshaman

Good to know, back then when I evaluated for my former project that was something I couldn't fix and researched showed that it was solved by access to source code, and I know entire project which have goes down because of it (if I'm not mistaken, crowfall was one of the notable one). I probably need to re evaluate the state of the situation once the current project is done. Thanks for the heads up!

sr388 likes this.
  12. eaque

eaque

new happy owner! :) i'm diving into it right now!!!!!!!!!!!

sr388 likes this.
  13. sr388

sr388

First of all, thank you for your purchase, it is very appreciated :D

Also, don't hesitate to ask any doubt or question and any feedback is always welcome. I also recommend to join the discord channel, as I can give a better support help there if needed, as I am all days there working on the asset ;)

Regards.

EN_Games and eaque like this.
  14. sr388

sr388

I see, cool. I am curious to try some of these type of systems to have large worlds on unity, either by using streaming or loading chucks of it in real time.

Though for my first game that I will make with GKC, I would like to make something small, kind of metroidvania, to unlock abilities and certain movements/mechaincs to keep reaching further parts of the game, a little inspired by limbo and inside mixed in a space station, with touches of metroid fusion and dead space in that regard.

Regards.

15. neoshaman

neoshaman

Ahaha, the unite talk about inside is precisely what I had in mind since they had the loading problem and are not even a big open world. That's where I learned they had to solve it with source acess.

sr388 likes this.
  16. sr388

sr388

I see, interesting. I am curious to check how that kind of systems are managed, so will try some of them in the future, to keep learning more about them.

Looking forward for your results as well ;)

neoshaman likes this.
  17. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here a preview of the new armor/cloth system to configure the info of a set on a character and using the creator wizard to configure that info as scriptable objects, which will also create inventory objects for them automatically:

Regards.

EN_Games and StevenPicard like this.
  18. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I added an option the AI which allows them to change between their fire weapons after a random range of wait (in this example is configured around 4-7 seconds):

Regards.

EN_Games likes this.
  19. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I am on the last minor tasks phase of the update, so moving to check the demo scenes and the update would be ready :D In the meantime, here a new test with the new model for GKC, which has already different armor parts:

Regards.

EN_Games, shyamarama and blacksun666 like this.
  20. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here a small preview of the free climb system for the upcoming update, inspired on breath of the wild:

Regards.

EN_Games, neoshaman and hopeful like this.
  21. neoshaman

neoshaman

You actually mean spiderman lol

sr388 likes this.
  22. sr388

sr388

Haha, exactly, more mechanics and elements inspired on spiderman 2018 game are planned, including traversal movements, combat (also similar to batman arkham games) and more.

peter-uncle-ben.gif

Regards

23. Wetw0rx

Wetw0rx

So I posted this on Discord but they wont let me reset my password so I will post here and Discord is assho.
    1. Hey guys. If anyone has an idea on how to activate the inputActionManager from an event in a custom vehicle controller plz help. TLDR, I want to use GKC input action manager to control Universal Vehicle Controller but when I add an inputActionManager to a UVC car and set up the ExternalRiderController to activate it, nothing happens... I'm not new to GKC or UVC but UVC is written in the craziest C# I've ever seen and I really wanna keep the imputActionManager as my go to. Alternatively, I could just use UVC input method but it kinda sucks and the camera wont rotate unless the GKC cursor is on (weird, I know). Seems like GKC is turning off the mouse movements unless the cursor is unlocked. Great for testing but I need camera rotation without the cursor unlocked.
    2. [5:58 PM]
      Basically, I would like to use GKC to control UVC and ditch UVC user input and UVC camera controller. UVC user input is sloppy and not very flexible and UVC camera wont rotate and is nowhere near as awesome as the GKC camera system. I cant seem to get the GKC InputActionSystem to activate though. I tried activating the bools that seem relevant but nothing. Maybe I'm missing something or the InputActionManager cant be used in this way idk.

24. Wetw0rx

Wetw0rx

To be clear:

This all started when i decided to add manual transmission cars and trailers that can be pulled by any car to my already very far along game. (Can we say feature creep, lol)

I began how I always do by writing terrible code that controls the GKC carController values as I needed and I ended up with a great automatic transmission van that could be shifted into Park, Reverse, Neutral, Drive and even low gear and all I had to do to the GKC carController was comment out the auto reverse feature so that holding the brake just stops the car and it wont go reverse til the player shifts into it (a bit more realism).

BUT! When I went to write a script for manual transmission, I realized it would require an extensive hack of the GKC carController and I try to avoid that as much as possible sooooo... As Santi always does, he just so happened to be working on integrations with other car controllers. Perfect! Not only is this man a genius but also somehow psychic.

I went to the asset store and took a look at some of the offerings. Edy's looks good and so does MWH but I chose Universal Vehicle Controller because it was on sale. Its great but to get it working in an existing GKC project several things must be addressed.

1. All the UVC inputs must be named and set in the project Settings, they can coexist with GKC just fine since GKC uses its own amazing input system. This is at the root of my issue.

2. The Layers must be set as shown in the GKC/UVC Youtube tutorial but it should be noted that the collision matrix for the two assets (and any other that uses Layers) should be carefully considered. For example, if the connect point for UVC trailers and vehicles aren't Layered correctly, bad things happen when you try to connect a trailer at runtime. I don't think this is causing my issue but it may help someone.

3. The UVC input system and camera system are total junk. Maybe I'm just spoiled since GKC camera controllers are so good but this is a problem. In my project, UVC camera does not rotate at all in 3rd or 1st person. UVC default is left mouse click to enable rotate view but it just makes the camera rotation static until left mouse click up. After some experimenting and a lot of cursing, I found out that if I set GKC moveCameraToDevice.unlockCursor to true and set ignoreCursorOffOnClick (<--or something like that) to true, UVC would suddenly see the mouse movements again! Of course this means GKC is turning mouse movements off as part of the input switch GKC to UVC.

All this just made me think: What do I have to do to get GKC camera and inputActionManager working with UVC?
    The camera is flexible enough, just copy/paste a GKC car camera into the UVC vehicle, delete UVC camera controller from the UVC playerController initialize list, set the activation of the GKC camera via the events in externalRiderSystem and boom GKC cam.

BUT! no mouse movements so its even worse than the UVC camera. If only we could just get a GKC inputActionManager in here to save the day and just dump UVC user input like a crazy girlfriend.

Not so fast... the GKC inputActionManager is a beautiful but complex creature. How can I activate it with the externalRiderSystem? I tried the obvious setActive() type event options but nothing. I wonder what I'm missing to make the InputActionManager happy.

Oh well, hope this helps anyone else doing similar things or maybe I'm just the one who needs help.

Sorry for the long post, thanks

25. sr388

sr388

@Wetw0rx the inputActionManager is not active by default, as it is the input used on vehicles by default, which is activated through the code of IK driving system component, which has the function for the character to enter/exit the vehicle and with that, enable its input.

So the IK driving system component has the example of how that input is activated.

upload_2022-8-15_8-18-48.png

upload_2022-8-15_8-19-4.png

That is the code that is used to enable that state.

Also, on the vehicleController.cs script, which is inherited by any vehicle controller script on GKC, you can see how the values of the input is used for the axis movement and on the vehicle camera controller too for the camera rotation:

upload_2022-8-15_8-28-0.png

And yeah, matrix collisions are something useful to set on each project according to the needs of the developer.

And yes, I have planned to add a small bridge between the GKC input on vehicles with the general drive/rider system, so the input signal can be sent to the external vehicles, so the input can be customized directly on the GKC input manager, which is very close to the new input system of unity and doesn't require any extra code to configure.

Let me know if you try this, no rush. I saw your reply on discord, though I went into more detail here.

Regards.

26. Wetw0rx

Wetw0rx

Dude, you're the man. You understood exactly what I meant and this is perfect. I'll try it today and let you know what I get. Also, there is a new update for UVC so this info is gonna help me soo much. Thank you for all you do and hope all is well (its been a while, but I'm still at it).

sr388 likes this.
  27. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have uploaded the new update 3.03-3A to the store and I am creating the new demos build right now, so in a matter of hours, the content will be fully sent to the store and in a matter of 1-2 days, it should be available on the asset store :D

Here an improved management of the quick access slots, as objects order is saved now, so the objects there will keep their position in between game save/load or scene changes:

Of course, not only on weapons, but any of the inventory objects on them.
    Very glad to hear that and looking forward for your results. More tools and integrations in that way are planned, including a similar approximation with AI integrations, to work on a similar way, reducing as much as possible any code addition and needed mostly some attached component.

Regards.

EN_Games, StevenPicard and Wetw0rx like this.
  28. sr388

sr388

Good news, everyone.

In a very quick time, the new update 3.03-3A is already live on the asset store haha (a little reminder to always make backups of your projects before anything else).

Also, there are new animations added on the examples of the action system and other movements, so I recommend to check the public repository of the asset to get the new animation package (more info on the doc, in the external files section).

Thanks for all the kind words and interest while working on this new update, it means a lot for me and really motivates to keep working more in the asset.

Time to start with the new update finally, which will be focused on multiplayer online, crafting and VR integration along other elements.

Btw, here the demo builds for the new update, in case any person want to try them:

PC:
    Demo 1
    Demo 2
    Local multiplayer and Scene Manager

ANDROID
    APK

Also, here the changelog of the new update:
    Changelog 3.03-3A

Regards.

29. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I had an idea to try a weapon which projectiles with a remote event to disable the shape shifting on an enemy AI so if you have a werewolf enemy, if you fire them with a weapon with silver bullets, it returns to human:

Nothing better that some time bullet action to hunt werewolfs haha.

Regards.

EN_Games likes this.
  30. Wetw0rx

Wetw0rx

So update on the UVC/GKC integration. I'm basically back where I started. I've got UVC vehicles working in my project but I'm still just using the UVC input system and camera. Still no camera rotation. The most recent UVC update actually improved things and added a working interior dashboard but GKC moveCameraToDevice.cs is still cutting off mouse movements while driving. I'll circle back to this eventually but I gotta move on. For now, I'll just use the vehicles as I have them with working manual or auto transmission, trailers, damage, lights and dashboard. To get this all working, took a bit of doing.

1. UVC is designed to work with one car in scene unless UVC GameManager is used, so a script initializing each vehicle in UVC playerController when getting in vehicle is needed.
    2. If you want to use the UVC UI panel, you must initialize it and call updateBoost() from UVC carUI.cs when getting on. updateBoost() should be made public
    3. the code for automatic reverse when braking can be commented out of the UVC transmission.cs and it will cause the player to have to downshift from neutral to put vehicle in reverse.
    4. Camera rotation will not work without some hacking. I'll figure it out eventually but all my tries broke things so I'll just work around it. Rotation does work if unlockCursor and ignoreLockCursorOnClick are checked in GKC moveCameraToDevice.cs but then the cursor is on and that's not really ideal. I feel like there is an easy solution in there somewhere but its a miracle I can write working code at all.
    5. UVC vehicles are always turned on by default so code must be written to add this function if desired. I found this rather easy to do. But it could be easier and more extensible if done through GKC input system.
    6. Special attention must be paid to the UVC connector obstacle masks and your project collision matrix to avoid physics issues. (i.e. wheels and vehicle layers cannot be allowed to collide or BOOOM)
    7. I got sidetracked with the new GKC update (wow)

sr388 likes this.
  31. sr388

sr388

@Wetw0rx sounds like maybe you didn't move the camera position transform from the original rider object prefab of GKC to inside the camera transfrom of UVC, make sure to check the steps I did on the video, it is all there and it is always the same steps for any external vehicle controller, to move the main camera inside the external camera object.

Let me know your results, no rush.

Regards.

32. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

On the recent update, I configured remote event options on the throw and return weapon, so you can freeze AI by shoving an axe (or any other weapon as special ability) on its chest haha:

It is inspired on god of war 2018.

RewardingSaltyFly-max-1mb.gif

Regards.

EN_Games likes this.
  33. Wetw0rx

Wetw0rx

Yes. I followed the tutorial and the cars and camera work great except for rotation. I use the same camera transform for all vehicles in scene and as long as UVC base camera.camera component is removed there are no issues. The only remaining conflict I haven't been able to solve is getting the camera to rotate.

1. When the player gets in a UVC/GKC car, GKC disables input and we have an event unpause the UVC input.

2. Problem is UVC camera is then unable to rotate because when GKC pauses its input, it pauses mouse movement input.

3. I've been trying to find where to hook into the GKC code to allow mouse movements while input paused but all I found was unlock cursor. That works but I need to hide the cursor if I keep that solution, idk.

I hope I'm explaining it right because I'm so close to a perfect integration and I could sure use your help on this one.

34. sr388

sr388

I am not 100% sure of how you are using the input, if through UVC or using the main input action manager of GKC.

If you are using the second one, check the vehicle camera controller, you can see how the input axis is taken from the main input action manager to use it for the camera rotation.

Don't use the player input manager axis, as the axis values on vehicles for movement and camera rotation is taken from teh main input action manager on the vehicle it self, as most player actions are paused when driving.

Regards.

35. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here an AI dropping his weapons from damage on the arms, falling on the ground due to damage on his feet and using the close combat on the player while using fire weapons:

Regards.

36. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

For the recent update, I tweaked the block animation state on the melee weapons for the upper body, looking better by default now:

Also, the AI can manage multiple melee weapons and change them in runtime, along with dropping them from damage received on arms as weak points:

Regards.

37. sr388

sr388

38. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here an example of the bow and boomerang to mark targets with the touch buttons, as any button allows to enable the camera drag, so while you perform the aim/shoot/throw/mark, you can rotate the camera with it, to play easily on mobile:

Regards.

39. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here another example of the armor/cloth system during first person, as the character meshes are reactivated temporally on that state:

Also, I have configured the armor/cloth system on the AI, and it allows to send signals from the health system dropping their armor pieces as pickups (or destroy them) in both the AI and player (it can be disabled as needed):

Regards.

EN_Games likes this.
  40. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

For the recent update, I improved a little more the ground adherence allowing to detect better small gaps and distance to the ground on different states, to move properly on it:

Here the max step is 0.6 units and the last step he can't walk on from ground is 0.7 to show the max height for it available on the example.

Regards.

41. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

For the recent update, here an option on the armor/cloth system working on the AI with an option to select a random set on start, so each one can start the game with a random selected set, each one with its own properties, abilities, stats and other values:

You can see the option here:

Regards.

EN_Games likes this.
  42. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here a tutorial to configure new melee attacks on a character and the melee weapons:

I also added an option on this wizard to configure an already existing melee attack, so it can be customized in a single place easily too ;)
    Regards.

EN_Games likes this.
  43. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here a video showing how to use a tool on the character armor/cloth system to make a duplicate of the armor sets meshes on the character. This is useful to have them as separated objects to use the inventory capture icon tool:

Regards.

44. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

inspired on dead space game, I configured an example option on an AI attack which basically makes them explode and kill/damage all around them, similar to the explosive enemies of dead space:

Regards.

EN_Games likes this.
  45. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Similar to the toolbar, I added a simple manager to select directly a component or object in a character/player/gameObject in a single click, and it allows to configure any elements on it, to create shortcuts:

Regards.

46. tansir

tansir

Hello, I really like this amazing system, it's awesome!
    And I want to know is it possible to add a 2.5D path system to 2.5D Mode? Like when moving the player to left or right direction, the player always follows the path(just X and Z axis) what we set?
    Thanks.

sr388 likes this.
  47. sr388

sr388

Thanks, much appreciate to hear that :D

About your question, do you mean to make a path to move on horizontal which ignores the direction toward the screen or what fixes the movement only on horizontal and vertical directions and avoids the forward direction?

In case of the second one, yes, the locked camera system allows to lock the player movement on that axis, so he can only move left, right and up and down. You can see here an example of the preconfigured camera examples, having also the locked camera transitions demo scene as well:

Let me know if you meant that or something else, no rush.

Regards.

tansir likes this.
  48. tansir

tansir

Thanks for your reply!:) Although It's not what I want, I can still learn a lot from it, thanks a lot:)
    Sorry, I may not have a clear description of it, and I found a video that can show the feature:

sr388 likes this.
  49. sr388

sr388

Oh, I see what you mean now. I haven't added that kind of movement on the 2.5d scheme control on GKC, but it is planned. I haven't thought how it would be 100%, but I think it would use a spline system for it, to clamp the player to those horizontal values, instead of the original XZ values being always the same.

So yeah, this is on the todo list and will be worked during 4.0, as 3.0 has just a couple more of versions left, including the current one in progress (each update used to take about 2 months, with maybe a couple of extra weeks for test and tweaks purposes).

Regards.

tansir likes this.
  50. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here a test with an interaction object which allows to get inventory objects when used, so it can be configured to steal objects from the AI if not detected:

In the first part, the AI has a 10% of chance to detect me when I steal the object, and a 95% on the second video.

Regards.

EN_Games and hopeful like this.