Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

50% OFF Game Kit Controller: Engine with melee, weapons, vehicles, crafting & more! 3.76

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by sr388, Sep 1, 2015.

?

What features/systems do you prefer to arrive sooner for next updates on GKC?

1. AI behaviors options, able to drive vehicles and fire turret weapons

25.7%
  2. Armor/cloth system: stats, damage resistances, etc… & character aspect customization (fallout)

30.4%
  3. Cover System and Climb system based on Breath of the wild and Assassins Creed

35.9%
  4. Online multiplayer (using mirror as first solution and include others later)

42.0%
  5. VR integration including 1st/3rd person and locked views

10.2%
  6. Full body awareness (FBA) to see player’s legs, body and arms in first person

18.5%
  7. More types of controls, similar to Diablo, MOBA & RTS and similar genres

10.8%
  8. More tools/creator wizards on the asset workflow (tell about them)

13.6%
  9. Integrations with other assets (tell about them)

16.8%
  10. More RPG/Scifi elements/mechanics (tell about them)

12.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I am doing some testing for performance on AI related to animator management, with a lighter version of the main animator:

I want to try also the option on the animator of unity to use override controller, as it will allow to have modular parts for different animator states and trees for different characters more easily during 3.9, but wanted to try a small test now.

Regards.

hopeful, Mark_01 and EN_Games like this.
  2. sr388

sr388

HI everyone.

Here a test on the turn based combat which is also 100% usable on locked camera view, like top down, isometric, fixed, 2.5d etc....:

Regards.

Mark_01 and EN_Games like this.
  3. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I added a couple of checks to make sure the swim system works properly on regular locked camera (it was checked for 2.5d, but for regular locked view, it needed a couple of checks on the code, so it is correct now for 100% all views):

Regards.

blacksun666, Mark_01 and hopeful like this.
  4. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I improved a couple of elements to make sure the melee weapons which can be aimed (like the throw boomerang for example) can be used properly on 2.5d:

Along configuring an example of preconfigured locked camera view on 2.5d with clamped circle reticle, inspired on the control of samus returns or metroid dread.

Regards.

Mark_01 likes this.
  5. eaque

eaque

Hi all,
    GKC + SGT, hope you'll enjoy!

6. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I added a better input management to allow easily to save the current input settings into external files, to have a simple load/save files, and swap between different controls in between projects or in the same one, without limit:

In this case, I save the default settings and a modified one, allowing to have a default to reset the values and any other amount of different input files to use as needed.
    Very nice, I always love to see space games, so it makes me smile to see also using the gravity elements of GKC on any project :D

Regards.

7. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have improved the aim system on fire weapon on vehicles on locked camera and added the check to make vehicles work properly on 2.5d, being also clamped on its depth position, like on AI and player, and allowing a free aim circle like in metroid dread games:

Need to add a couple of tweaks on the speed and clamp values, but it is complete for that part, and the projectiles trail and particles were also fixed, as the video was made before adding that fix.

Regards.

Mark_01 likes this.
  8. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

More progress, as I am tweaking a couple of elements on the rest of vehicles to make sure they work on 2.5d.

I show here an example of using the sphere vehicle as an ability to turn at will on a sphere control, like in metroid games:

Btw, I am thinking in making a kind of 3.75 update, with all so far, to avoid a longer wait on all the recent improvements, tweaks and minor fixes and finish 3.8 after that, as I have done all preparations and improvements on character management to start on the online work right away.

Regards.

9. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I found funny that the new death stranding game has an electric guitar as fire and melee weapon, which reminded me that I added a similar weapon example on GKC some time ago:

tumblr_eeec3b7317297bcbc24e8f2945fac62f_bd4c6a13_540 (1).gif

Regards.

EN_Games and Mark_01 like this.
  10. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I added a couple of tweaks and minor fixes to the projectile system, related to the spear projectiles, nanoblades and arrows, to be managed properly and play the surface impact effects correctly:

This is the spear launcher, inspired on dead space, to attach enemies to surfaces.

Regards.

11. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

The small update 3.75 is close to be ready, just a few more days, I am finishing the last testing and tweaks.

In the meantime, I improved the damage reaction on 2.5d, to make sure the direction of the damage respect the receiver is correct:

Regards.

blacksun666, Mark_01 and EN_Games like this.
  12. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

More progress done, closer to finish the new update 3.75, also, here a quick test on 2.5d with vehicles and having a good time with AI haha:

Regards.

13. tfos4941

tfos4941

Is it possible to set up GKC but have the main playable character to be quadruped, not a humanoid? Thanks

14. sr388

sr388

Yes, you can use any kind of generic model for player, AI or as animal/monster/robot to ride. Here:

Let me know your results.

For either AI or player, configure a regular humanoid player first through the regular character creator process first and then, use the above tutorials for the player or AI.

Right now, characters on generic mode have more limited actions, for example, they can't use fire or melee weapons, and their attack mode by default is the close combat to do attacks on that way.

But I have planned to adapt those elements on generic mode, so all the regular elements that are available on regular humanoid mode, can be used on generic too ;)

Regards.

15. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

More progress done, almost there with the update.

In the meantime, I improved more the throw/return of melee weapons in 2.5d view, to use the aim mode to throw by default on any melee weapon if that is the current view (it can be disabled too) along adding a couple of checks for the proper teleport option (also customizable):

Regards.

16. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

More work complete for the update, almost ready. I have been testing and improving most traversal movements on locked camera, including 2.5d:

Regards.

StevenPicard, Mark_01 and EN_Games like this.
  17. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here an example of the improved FBA view during close combat, to keep the arms in view and handle the camera position and rotation better on that state (it has been more tweaked for the complete upcoming update):

Regards.

StevenPicard, Mark_01 and EN_Games like this.
  18. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Good day of progress, I also added a trigger zone to use an auto grab from the climb ledge system, inspired on many platformer games:

Regards.

Mark_01, StevenPicard and EN_Games like this.
  19. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here an example of the free climb system working properly on 2.5d, clamping its position properly on that view:

Regards.

StevenPicard and EN_Games like this.
  20. sr388

sr388

Good news, everyone.

The update 3.75 has been sent to the asset store, so just a matter of a few hours to 1 day to be released on the asset store!

Here some examples of the AI improvements to attack on place if the target can't be reached by navmesh:

I will make a changelog asap.

Regards.

21. hopeful

hopeful

It's alive! :eek:

Downloading now ...

Mark_01, StevenPicard and sr388 like this.
  22. sr388

sr388

Good news, everyone.

The new update 3.75 is already live on the asset store haha (a little reminder to always make backups of your projects before anything else).

Also, there are new animations added on the examples of the action system and other movements, so I recommend to check the public repository of the asset to get the new animation package (more info on the doc, in the external files section), you can also find a direct link to the package here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1p8L51aXh-AfEJo6GKlXvAaSKerSZWWuM/view?usp=sharing

Thanks for all the kind words, interest and support (especially to all the patreon supporters) while working on this new update, it means a lot for me and really motivates to keep working more in the asset :)

Time to start with the new update, which will be focused on multiplayer online and VR integration along other elements.

Also, if you have already GKC any of the 3.7 versions, you should be able just overwrite the main Scripts folder of GKC if you want to keep any previous element on your project with GKC elements (if you want to use the turn combat system, you will need to import the new player and AI prefabs).

But of course, you can also import all the content and create a new player, which is in most cases, the most recommended way, but VERY IMPORTANT: MAKE SURE TO MAKE A BACKUP EITHER IF YOU OVERWRITE OR IMPORT THE ASSET DIRECTLY.

Regards.

23. sr388

sr388

Good news, everyone.

I am happy to announce that Game Kit Controller is 70% OFF during the Flash Deals on the asset store!

Regards.

blacksun666 likes this.
  24. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Last reminder that GKC is now 60% OFF on the asset store for the flash deals for just a few more hours, coinciding with the release of the new update 3.75.

So no excuses to not get it if you haven't it already.

Here a gameplay of the new demo scene that I added for the new update, inspired by Enter the gungeon and similar rogue like:

Regards.

25. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here a couple of improvements on the AI attack behavior from the recent update 3.75, with better options to walk around when attacking and to also get pauses in between fire weapon blast, with random ranges of time for both:

It gives the AI more dynamic elements, usable on all attack types (close combat, powers, abilities, fire weapons and melee). In this clip, the player's health is infinite, I set that just for the example.

Regards.

26. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Another element of the recent update, I added an option on the camera system to allow to toggle between the 3 types (locked, third person, first person and back to locked view) when using a locked camera view:

Previously, the change on that type of camera was only between the default free view (third or first person) and back to locked, so now, it can toggle between the 3 views, instead of only 2 (of course, this can be configured).

Btw, I already talked with the developer of emerald and got his asset for emerald 2024, so I will do that integration in the next couple of weeks ;)

Regards.

27. Mark_01

Mark_01

About Emerald Ai 2024, thank you, I had been away from Unity for so long I only had v1 .. I got v3 i think for 10 $ .. so I can upgrade to Emerald 2024 for 50 % anytime.. So am waiting on that to be sure 100 % it will integrate.

Again thank you for your dedication to your asset. I will once again ask\suggest you bring up your price just before you release the Online, version and or the VR .. I know , I know, but all this is very good. I have rebought this asset a couple of time when it was on sale, just because I feel this is worth more, but I can't afford much " subscription services these day's ;(

StevenPicard and sr388 like this.
  28. sr388

sr388

Cool, as soon as I test the integration, I will make a simple PDF just like the other integration and paste it here, so people can use both assets without need to wait for the next update ;)

And thanks for the kind words, it is very appreciated. And really means a lot to hear you got the asset multiple times, really crazy to hear that, but it helps a lot to keep focused on the asset.

I have planned to make a small price increase soon, which of course, won't affect to who already has the asset, as all updates will still being 100% free and I only make a price increase when I consider the new content worths it.

Regards.

Mark_01 likes this.
  29. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here an example of how the FBA (full body awareness) looks in front of a mirror:

Also, here the Changelog of the update 3.75.

Regards.

Mark_01 and hopeful like this.
  30. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here an interesting clip from the recent new update inspired on rogue like elements, with some "terror" touch:

Regards.

31. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I was thinking of the spiderman animated movie and wanted to record a clip with the reduced animation frames using the swing on the city demo :D:

Regards.

Mark_01 and hopeful like this.
  32. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here a fix for the generic mode, to change the camera view properly and keep the proper meshes active depending of the state of the player (generic or humanoid) and 1st or 3d person view:

Regards.

EN_Games likes this.
  33. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I made a fix on the auto grab trigger, as it seems the player could get stuck on it. I also added a check to allow jump in the opposite direction based on the input movement when jumping, to use up or opposite direction:

Regards.

34. hopeful

hopeful

@sr388 - Something you might want to look into, probably an easy fix, is that FSR3 seems to fight the GKC camera in some way. I'm going to guess the same thing happens with DLSS. It's not a burning issue for me, but as these plugins are somewhat popular, I could see others coming up with the problem.

If anybody has already wrestled with this issue and come up with a solution, please post it. I have so many other things to do, I'm just going to move on to other things and not look into this any further.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2024
    sr388 likes this.
  35. sr388

sr388

I think it would be a matter of adjusting the settings on one of the camera examples that asset has with the main camera on GKC, to make sure the same settings for render and others are adjusted on it, as GKC doesn't use any special camera setting besides mostly the default ones.

So as any render pipeline, camera effect, post processing or similar element, it would be a matter to make sure the main camera on GKC, which you can find inside the player camera gameObject, has the proper settings adjusted on it needed for such elements and/or attach any extra element used on those assets for the respective main camera used on the scene.

Let me know if that is clear, I haven't that asset, but the workflow in its type used to be the same when some camera setting is involved.

Regards.

36. hopeful

hopeful

Okay, well, I played the "monkey pushing buttons" form of debugging, and apparently in the implementation of the character in GKC that I used, the camera has HDR off. When I switched that to "Use Graphics Settings," suddenly the camera worked fine with FSR3.

I don't understand why this worked, though probably someone here does. I am just a monkey pushing buttons. o_O

sr388 likes this.
  37. sr388

sr388

I see, yes, that is what I tried to said on my previous post, a simple way to check is copy the component of one camera example of that asset and paste the components values on the main camera of GKC, so that will make the default render settings on the camera to be same as the one used as example on that render asset or any other similar for any camera render asset or effect.

Thanks for the info about it.

Regards.

hopeful likes this.
  38. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I am improving a couple of elements of the rail system for vehicles, as it was expanded a couple of updates ago, as a general element for vehicles instead of only for the hoverboard, so it can be used on any of them now.

Any suggestion for this kind of traversal movements on vehicles that could be interesting?

Regards.

39. hopeful

hopeful

Movement by rail suggests not only trains and elevated monorails, plus maglev and scifi bubble type rail cars, but also amusement park rides like a rollercoaster, log ride, etc. Could also do a funky zipline, sky tram thing, ski lift.

Not sure if that's what you were asking, but it seems like those would be applications of something moving on a line.

Mark_01 and sr388 like this.
  40. hopeful

hopeful

Additionally, you could apply a trigger collider and script onto adjoining rails such that when the vehicle enters the trigger, the vehicle switches rails. There could be other states that the trigger checks, like a key press, a timer, or some other game state, and these in conjunction with the vehicle entering could change tracks or not.

IIRC, power lines were added to the kit a while back. Perhaps the rails could have power line properties, which could also be switched.

Anyway, that's a game mechanic that occurred to me. Have a good one! :)

Mark_01 and sr388 like this.
  41. sr388

sr388

Yes, a train vehicle example is planned, to be controlled automatically or manually by the player, with controls for speed, and direction.

Yes, it is planned to allow to switch tracks, either connected or just close by.

Thanks for the suggestions, they are very appreciated and gave me some more ideas for future elements :)

Regards.

eaque, Mark_01 and hopeful like this.
  42. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here a better example of the rail system on vehicles, they can be used now on both directions, instead of one, along a better management on the detected vehicles:

Regards.

EN_Games, Mark_01 and hopeful like this.
  43. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have improved the general drive/rider system to use external vehicle controllers, allowing to set more seats for passengers, including other players or AI, so they can get on and off from the vehicle too like in regular vehicles.

This will be included on a small patch update:

No extra steps are required from the regular integration process for any external vehicle controller.

Regards.

44. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I added a general option on fire weapons (just like the one available on melee weapons) to have the option to keep the weapon meshes disabled when quipped but not carried on hands.

So that allows to have a single main option to leave them enabled or disabled in general easily, instead of going one by one to customize, on any AI and player:

Regards.

45. sr388

sr388

Good news, everyone.

I am happy to announce that Game Kit Controller is 50% OFF during the Spring Sale on the asset store!

rebajas.png

Regards.

masumihayami likes this.
  46. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I improved the option to draw or not the first available weapon on start, to make it better and simpler to find and use. There is also an option to draw the last weapon used on the last saved game, so when loading, the player will draw the weapon he selected when the game was saved:

Regards.

47. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I improved the grab objects when using generic model on the characters, allowing now to grab and carry objects physically, like in regular mode, giving some vibes of twilight princess haha:

It can be of course used with any object and in any generic model, setting the exact location of the bone and position to carry it for any object separetely

Regards.

Mark_01, hopeful and EN_Games like this.
  48. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I checked the generic models to ride and added a couple of checks to make sure they can be ridden on 2.5d, like any other vehicle:

Regards.

EN_Games, Mark_01 and hopeful like this.
  49. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

On the recent update, I improved the vehicle system, allowing to keep the vehicle intact if destroyed (health reaches 0) and avoid to explode, so it can't be driven but remains on scene and can be interacted. So this can be used to repair it for example, like using materials for it:

Regards.

EN_Games, hopeful and Mark_01 like this.
  50. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I also checked the wall running to make sure it works on 2.5d with close surfaces (of course, it can be set to work just on certain surfaces or be totally ignored and not used on that view):

Any suggestion for other traversal movements on 2.5d, like some from prince of persia or other metroidvanias?

Regards.