Search Unity

50% OFF Game Kit Controller: Engine with melee, weapons, vehicles, crafting & more! 3.75

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by sr388, Sep 1, 2015.

?

What features/systems do you prefer to arrive sooner for next updates on GKC?

1. AI behaviors options, able to drive vehicles and fire turret weapons

25.7%
  2. Armor/cloth system: stats, damage resistances, etc… & character aspect customization (fallout)

30.0%
  3. Cover System and Climb system based on Breath of the wild and Assassins Creed

36.2%
  4. Online multiplayer (using mirror as first solution and include others later)

42.2%
  5. VR integration including 1st/3rd person and locked views

10.3%
  6. Full body awareness (FBA) to see player’s legs, body and arms in first person

18.4%
  7. More types of controls, similar to Diablo, MOBA & RTS and similar genres

10.7%
  8. More tools/creator wizards on the asset workflow (tell about them)

13.5%
  9. Integrations with other assets (tell about them)

16.5%
  10. More RPG/Scifi elements/mechanics (tell about them)

12.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. sr388

sr388

Here you can see how to configure any amount of multiple meshes which are part of your character model:

That allows to disable all the meshes properly on first person view ;) Let me know your results, no rush.

Regards.

EN_Games and AGregori like this.
  2. AGregori

AGregori

Cool, got it.

BTW, creo que full body awareness es una característica crucial, por favor complétela. Te voy a apoyar en Patreon. :D

sr388 likes this.
  3. sr388

sr388

Thanks, it is very appreciated to hear that, it really means a lot :D

And yeah, full body awareness is very planned, and will be worked during the next update, to have it ready either with the online or the next update after that.

Saludos.

AGregori likes this.
  4. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I added the option to press and hold the interaction button to activate the usage of devices/pickups and interaction on scene based on the time pressed showing also the option for a classic image fill/circle filling:

So you need to hold the interaction button x time pressed to activate the interaction, allowing also to set a custom time for each separated object (the circle will be reset properly). I also stopped pressing the button to show the circle progress is reset too.

Regards.

AGregori and EN_Games like this.
  5. hopeful

hopeful

Nice! If you want to make it a little more deluxe, maybe give an option for a horizontal bar and / or a "time to complete" countdown timer, which can be helpful for longer time to activate (especially if the player is busy fighting off ambush waves or something).

sr388 likes this.
  6. sr388

sr388

Oh, yes, it would be cool to also have an option for a timer, I will put that on the todo list ;) The time to hold the key can be customized on each device/object to interact separately, so it can be used as needed.

Regards.

7. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have added a searcher tool to the simple manager to select directly a component or object in a character/player/gameObject in a single click, to create shortcuts:

Also, I added an option on the scanner system to allow to be used on any view, 3rd or 1st person:

Regards.

EN_Games and AGregori like this.
  8. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I added an option on the ingame menu panel system to allow to collapse or expand all the subpanels configured on it, to make it easier to manage and handle:

Regards.

EN_Games likes this.
  9. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I added a setting to configure stat values on the crafting of objects, so it allows to check if the player has certain amount of stats values to craft objects it can also consume these stats like use actual money along the materials for the craft or health or stamina or anything in between:

You can see the values configured on this example of gold resin consumable for electric effects on weapons, in the video, I have not enough level and archemy to craft it, so I get experience pickups to get more XP.
    And here the settings, it can use as many stats as needed, setting if they are just checked or actually used:

Regards.

neoshaman and EN_Games like this.
  10. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here an example of purchasing blueprints for any object to craft it and also, an option on the workbenches to send the created objects to the inventory bank on them instead of the player's inventory:

Regards.

EN_Games likes this.
  11. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here an example of more crafted objects to place on scene, such as an inventory bank which can be created in that way too, to store objects out of player's inventory:

Or explosive barrels, which can be then placed on scene where needed (the max distance can be customized):

Regards.

EN_Games likes this.
  12. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I added an option to avoid movement actions when carrying a physical object, like avoid jumps or run, for very heavy object as a limitation:

Also, the placement of crafted objects has now an option to set if an object can be attached to certain surfaces, like an explosive barrel to a vehicle:

Let me know what other examples would be interesting for attaching objects to other surfaces/objects.

Regards.

Mark_01 and EN_Games like this.
  13. sr388

sr388

Hi eveyone.

Here another example of crafting objects to place, to create a bonfire, which can be used to save the game, instead of having the save game menu usable at any moment:

Regards.

14. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I added materials extraction stations main structure and initial examples, allowing to also use energy to power the stations and storing resources on an inventory bank:

Also, you can see here how the material zones to extract can be configured and just placed on scene, as stations can be placed and move anywhere through the placement action, so it is very easy to customize.

unknown.png
    Regards

Mark_01, EN_Games and AGregori like this.
  15. hopeful

hopeful

Hmm. I wonder if this is getting close to being able to simulate mining for resources, and that sort of thing? It seems like a lot of the tools are already in the kit, I'm not sure what would be left to create to enable that kind of game mechanic.

sr388 likes this.
  16. sr388

sr388

Yes, here an example on objects to drop materials and crafting resources which can respawn, so after breaking them, they can regenerate after x time, like minerals, trees, etc... being a very customizable system (any suggestion?):

This is made on a simple rock that I made on blender and use the cell fracture addon to also get the same mesh broken on pieces. This is a general system which allows to put the regular mesh and set which is the prefab which contains the broken pieces. So it spawns the pieces and disable the main mesh along with that, it allows to drop the resources that you want, including to set a whole blueprint from an element to craft.

So if you break an object which can be crafted, you can get its resources or part of them or just regular pickups which you want to set.

Regards.

17. sr388

sr388

Good news, everyone.

I am happy to announce that Game Kit Controller is 50% OFF during the Black Friday!

rebajas.png
    So go get it or else.....

ezgif.com-gif-maker (1).gif
    Regards.

EN_Games, AGregori and Unleaded-Games like this.
  18. sr388

sr388

Good news, everyone.

The beta is ready to try, so any user who already has the asset and wants to try the beta, send me a PM.
    The final tasks for the update are mostly done, so just about 2-3 days for some new scene stuff and tweaks.

Here an example of the ability on the player to steal weapons from AI:

Regards.

Mark_01, EN_Games and StevenPicard like this.
  19. hopeful

hopeful

If you steal a weapon, shouldn't it go straight to equipped?

sr388 likes this.
  20. sr388

sr388

In the above video, you can see it is directly equipped, appearing in the quick access slots in the bottom and the player drawing it to attack. Not sure if you mean something else, let me know about it, no rush ;)

Regards.

21. hopeful

hopeful

Sorry, I guess what I mean is that it should be already drawn .. right?

22. sr388

sr388

Oh, I see, I will add an option to ignore the draw when stealing a weapon, so it is directly on the character's hands ;)

Regards.

Mark_01, tyd2 and hopeful like this.
  23. hopeful

hopeful

Awesome! I have the urge to disarm a bat wielding thug and hit him with his own bat. :)

sr388 likes this.
  24. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here a video which shows pretty much all the elements of the new crafting system for the upcoming update:

Let me know any suggestion for improvement or new feature/elements for it, for future additions ;)

Regards.

25. sr388

sr388

Added, now go hit that dude in the head haha.

Regards.

hopeful likes this.
  26. hopeful

hopeful

Excellent! :)

sr388 likes this.
  27. hopeful

hopeful

Is it possible to craft a pet? A vehicle? Is it possible to craft a building?

I don't remember if we can have vehicles in any form of inventory. I'm sure you could have like something that summons a vehicle in inventory, but if you were doing a game where you were collecting autonomous fighting vehicles, or crafting robot pets, is there an inventory for that?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2022
    sr388 likes this.
  28. sr388

sr388

Yes, any object can be crafted and placed on scene from the inventory with the improvements of this update. I will configure an example this weekend for it.

There is also an ability example which allows to summon any type of object or prefab, either for vehicles, pets, or anything. You can see it at the end of this trailer:

It is inspired in breath of the wild, where you can also call the animal to get close to you to rider it.

A build structures system extended from this crafting system will be made on another update, inspired in games like scrap mechainc or besiege. I made some prototype just for fun some time ago and I will use part of that logic and elements for that part on GKC:

Regards.

EN_Games and Unleaded-Games like this.
  29. hopeful

hopeful

Ok, cool! Thanks! I wasn't sure if fitting things into inventory was a sticking point or not.

sr388 likes this.
  30. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here an example of materials zone/deposit which can be also extracted with the shovel example (using a general option to extract materials from close zones). Also, the scanner system can be used to search for these material deposits:

You can see how these deposits have their materials available configured:

Regards.

EN_Games likes this.
  31. sr388

sr388

Good news everyone.

The update 3.4 has been sent to the asset store, so just a matter of a few hours to 1 day to be released on the asset store :D

In the meantime, here the changelog of this update 3.4:

GKC Changelog 3.4

Regards.

hopeful and EN_Games like this.
  32. hopeful

hopeful

33. sr388

sr388

Good news, everyone.

The new update 3.4 is already live on the asset store haha (a little reminder to always make backups of your projects before anything else)

Also, there are new animations added on the examples of the action system and other movements, so I recommend to check the public repository of the asset to get the new animation package, just a matter of import, close and open unity and all is configured automatically.

Thanks for all the kind words, interest and support while working on this new update, it means a lot for me and really motivates to keep working more in the asset

Time to start with the new update finally, which will be focused on multiplayer online, full body awareness and VR integration along other elements.

Btw, here the demo builds for the new update, in case any person want to try them:

PC:
    Demo 1
    Demo 2
    Local multiplayer and scene manager Demos

Android:
    APK

Regards.

EN_Games likes this.
  34. MatrixNew

MatrixNew

sr388 likes this.
  35. sr388

sr388

Much appreciated to hear that :D

And about that integration, I think it should work out of the box. What element on it would be needed to integrate or add custom code or component to work properly?

For inventory, what element exactly related to it? GKC has a very complete inventory system.

Regards.

36. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

For the recent update, I added the AI management to make them take turns to fight with the player, similar to arkham/spiderman games:

In the second part of the video, I just beat the hell of the enemies, with long distances for the match/magnet to enemies.

Regards.

EN_Games likes this.
  37. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here a test on the AI using also the AI manager on the enemy AI, so he can set the AI around it to take turns to attack, as it can be adjusted for any AI or player too:

Regards.

neoshaman and EN_Games like this.
  38. neoshaman

neoshaman

sr388 likes this.
  39. hopeful

hopeful

IMO, this character controller kit shouldn't get too involved with network issues. What it needs to do is have the controller states made available so they can be easily replicated across a network. I believe this has already been done in some form for player characters, but what's needed is a similar setup exposing the states of NPCs, including vehicles and other non-player objects that have states (like damage). So if a NPC is running, jumping, or scratching its bottom, that is something that has to be exposed to where it can be grabbed and sent over a network, and likewise received by a client and fed as state input to that client's replica NPC.

Additionally, I think it makes general sense for any AI to operate in a deterministic way, making it so that all clients running this same AI will have accurate prediction of movement (that is, their AI outputs will be identical to that of the server). Then, the AI state data that is sent functions mainly as an audit, or as the basis of a game share or save state ... like if you paused a game before quitting the session and wanted to save the state of all NPCs, or like if you wanted to invite a player to your in-progress game, you'd want to share the current state of everything.

I think that's the main part to be done, as once the Game Kit customer has access to this, they can do their own networking, but here's a brief description of what I think would also need to be done by a game developer for networking.

As I see it, with most games and networking, there needs to be a turn-taking system, where the game has a frame for each turn (independent from display fps). This "game frame" applies only to in-game / game world states, not to player UI, which functions locally.

Game frames have a frame count, and the number of each frame is used as an ID to make sure that everyone is synchronized.

During a game frame, let's say frame 1, let's imagine that everything is idle because there are no commands being processed. But the players are giving input to move or attack, and the NPC AI is beginning to process their first move. This player and AI information gets shared, and is displayed in game frame 2. While this is being displayed - imagine the players and NPCs beginning to move toward each other for combat - player inputs and AI are generated and shared again, this time for game frame 3. So the input always affects the next frame.

Data-wise, it's as if the player and NPC states for the upcoming game frame are being collected for a game "save," but instead that list of states or "save" is sent over the network and a "load" function is run in order to set the next frame. And the name of the game frame "save file" is the frame number.

All data sent needs to be as terse and compressed as possible, and most of the time only changed data needs to be sent, except in the case of an audit or new player, in which case you need the full state. Ideally, with proper determinism in the AI and no slowly accumulating floating point precision errors, only player inputs need to be sent each game frame, and the rest of the data used if a player loses frames due to bad connection, or if a new player joins while play is in progress.

As a default length of game frame, I'm guessing, but I think a rate of 6 tenths of a second for a turn could work for most games using humanoid animations, with low enough latency for most player actions, and giving plenty of time for slow network transit over long distances. Of course, the game's turn rate ought to be adjustable by the game kit's customer, so they can have more turns per second (like for a vehicle racing game), or even change the turn speed dynamically based on network latency observed during play, if that makes sense for the game.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
    neoshaman and sr388 like this.
  40. sr388

sr388

@neoshaman thanks for the link, it will be interesting to check for sure ;)

@hopeful yeah, that is the main objective and what will be worked, to make sure all the possible states and functions needed can be checked and get/update their state properly to each player on scene properly along any other dynamic element on scene, such as pickups, rigidbodies and vehicles.

The work on the online will start in just a few days and I will show any visible progress asap, as this new update has been started and I have been doing some minor improvements and adjustments since the release of the recent version ;)

If I get stuck or need some info or doubt, I will tell here and on discord, to learn more interesting info, as this is the first time that I work on the online part, so it will be an intersting thing to learn :D

Regards.

41. AGregori

AGregori

Congrats on this great update, especially the interaction system & the crafting system upgrade! ;)
    GKC is now easily the single best toolkit on the UAS for any 3rd person action game, including beat 'em ups & Zelda type open world action adventures.

Since its focus lies elsewhere, I think it's currently not the best choice for slower-paced adventure games, especially 1st person ones. Someone suggested an Adventure Creator bridge script that would enable GKC to be used for elaborate adventure games too. I think such a script would be problematic since there is so much overlap between AC and GKC in functionality, including inventory, crafting, hotspot system etc.
    But again, GKC is excellent for dynamic 3rd person action/adventure stuff.

sr388 likes this.
  42. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here a new ability example for the recent update with elements which were already on the asset, to basically grab and explode enemies:

And an example of management of energy sources on extraction stations, here an example using batteries:

@AGregori thanks a lot for the kind words, it is very appreciated :D About the integration with AC, it would be interesting, though I think that in a similar way to any visual scripting system, most of the elements could be used between both assets without much trouble through the classic configuration of events between each other, as most components have events on their components for many options.

Full body awareness is also part of this new update, so I will be able to show progress on that part very soon ;) And shortly after that, melee and action system will be fully adapted to first person too.

Regards.

neoshaman, EN_Games and AGregori like this.
  43. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

here the option on the materials zones/deposits to refill over time if they get empty so the stations can keep extracting more along with showing these deposits info on the scanner system:

Also, a creator tool for the crafting blueprint/recipes is available, to avoid the need of creating their scriptable objects manually, including other info, like stats, list of objects to repair and similar:

Regards.

EN_Games and hopeful like this.
  44. hncarlos

hncarlos

Hi!

So I'm making a simulation game like goat simulator with a little of management like The Sims, GKC have pretty much everything I need to make my game, but I'm having a hard time with the tutorials, especially AI related.

Is it possible to create a behavior for the NPC's like in The Sims games? For example, each npc has a series of attributes such as hunger, sleep, happiness, etc.

If the npc is hungry, he will automatically go to a hotdog stand and buy a snack to eat. If he feels like going to the bathroom, he should go to the nearest bathroom and use it.

Is it possible to create this kind of behavior with GKC? I couldn't find any tutorials on youtube nor the documentation. Could you help me?

sr388 likes this.
  45. sr388

sr388

Glad to hear that the asset is being helpful :D

About your question, the AI hasn't a system to set behaviors based on stat values right now, but it is planned,as there is a stats system (same as the one used on the player, as AI and player use the same components).

I have planned to extend their behaviors to include more types, options and activities, including crowds and similar stuff, so each AI can have their tasks and go to different places.

What I maybe recommend in the meantime is use love/hate asset or similar, as I think that asset has elements similar to what you need and should be possible to be used out of the box with GKC, but I haven't had the chance to try both, but it is on the todo list to work on an integration with it the incoming year.

Let me know what you think.

Regards.

46. hncarlos

hncarlos

Cool!

I think I can make a simple script for the stats, but my main issue is: how can I control the NPC's? There are tutorials about this? I mean, I saw this one but did not help me, maybe I missed something?

How can I set a npc to walk or run to a specific point and then take some action, like change animation or grab something?

sr388 and hopeful like this.
  47. sr388

sr388

Sorry for the wait, not sure why I missed the message notification.

There is no a tutorial for it, as this type of addition would require a new script to handle that kind of behavior, something which is planned as part of the extended elements for the AI on next updates.

But the AI is actually simple, since it uses the same components as the player to work and handle its elements.

The only different part is the find objectives system component, used for the detection of targets around and activate the attack mode (which is handled by the AI behavior for each attack mode created, like powers, fire weapons, melee, etc...)

The other part is AI navmesh component, which is used to manage the navigation to a target or position with navmesh.

Both are configured on the AI player controller gameObject, so your new script would handle elements on the navmesh component to set the target to reach and check if close enough, to activate the action (which could be made by the action system on the AI, which is the same used on the player for actions based on animations).

For this AI type I would recommend to configure a neutral AI as it is the best to be used as NPC and do the above to handle the AInavmesh component state as needed.

As I said, this is very planned for new elements on the AI, including to react and take actions on objects on the scene, like detected dead bodies, run away from grenades or throw them back, detect missing objects which they are guarding, sucpect objects, etc...

But of course, let me know if you have any progress or question about this if you go ahead and work on your own system ;)

Regards.

hncarlos likes this.
  48. eaque

eaque

HI, I would like to use your kit (that i own already) with space graphic toolkit and it's floatting origin technique. Here is a copy of the conversation dealing with the updating of the third person controller. Maybe it's gonna be clearer to you than to me...:p Updating the up direction is too complicated for me.
    As your kit has an antigravity feature, i thought it could be easier with your controller than invector.
    I want to go seamlessly from the thridPcontroller to the spaceship controller while in space (so using its origin system).

Could we integrate GKC and SpaceGraphic toolkit? thanks in advance

thanks

Dev answer:
    I have no experience with invector. Most of SGT is normal GameObjects with normal MeshColliders, so in theory it should work with most other assets. The main difficulty is that the 'up' direction in space changes based on the planet or spaceship you're on, so any character controller you use must have the ability to change this direction. It may also require a custom script to adjust this direction, but it depends on how they're all implemented.

The larger example scenes in SGT also use the Universe feature, which likely won't directly work with any character controller without custom code to handle the origin shift. To start with I recommend not implementing the Universe feature so you can just focus on getting the up direction changes working, then you can later worry about the Universe feature with origin shifting.

sr388 likes this.
  49. sr388

sr388

Hi.

Thanks for your interest in the asset and your purchase :D

About your question, yes, you can use GKC and that vehicle system as any external vehicle controller can be plugged easily with GKC, using the general drive/rider system. There are many examples of these tutorials with many asset vheicle examples, like RCC, UVC, SCK, malbers animals and many more:

About the gravity, I can add a check on the general drive/rider system to take into account a custom gravity direction, in this case, the up direction of the vehicle.

The player can also use zero gravity values and change its gravity direction as well, so you are able to exit the ship on outside space or walk from it on a small planet or surface with any gravity direction.

I can add that extra option in the general driver system in a few minutes later today and send you the modified script and that option would be included out of the box on the next update.

Let me know what you think, no rush ;)

Regards.

eaque likes this.
  50. sr388

sr388

@eaque I added the option for the gravity management on the general drive/rider system, so it can be customized according to the vehicle type, either by using a custom normal value (which can be updated in game) or using the transform up direction of the vehicle.

And here the option:

gravity.PNG
    Regards.

eaque likes this.