Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] Game Kit Controller: Engine with melee, weapons, vehicles, crafting & more! 3.75

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by sr388, Sep 1, 2015.

?

What features/systems do you prefer to arrive sooner for next updates on GKC?

1. AI behaviors options, able to drive vehicles and fire turret weapons

25.6%
  2. Armor/cloth system: stats, damage resistances, etc… & character aspect customization (fallout)

30.0%
  3. Cover System and Climb system based on Breath of the wild and Assassins Creed

36.2%
  4. Online multiplayer (using mirror as first solution and include others later)

42.0%
  5. VR integration including 1st/3rd person and locked views

10.1%
  6. Full body awareness (FBA) to see player’s legs, body and arms in first person

18.5%
  7. More types of controls, similar to Diablo, MOBA & RTS and similar genres

10.6%
  8. More tools/creator wizards on the asset workflow (tell about them)

13.4%
  9. Integrations with other assets (tell about them)

16.2%
  10. More RPG/Scifi elements/mechanics (tell about them)

12.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. sr388

sr388

Of course ;).

Yeah, in fact, I will modify the previous jetpack/flying modes to use the new system for 3.0, which already allows to check if the hands are being used for other system, like in this case, weapons, so while other body parts are used on the movement system, the player is free to aim and use weapons as he needs. Also, this system will be used for the zero gravity mode, allowing different configurations for the IK in every mode (flying, jetpack, free floating, zero gravity).

free floating mode improved 3.gif

free floating mode improved 4.gif

free floating mode improved 5.gif

free floating mode improved 6.gif

I didn't remember battlefront 2 jetpack, nice reference, I will keep an eye on it, thanks for telling me :)

Regards.

2. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have added a better system to place objects into places, similar to dead space games where you place batteries to give power to stuff, pieces to activate other elements...., practically any case.

There was already a similar system in GKC but it wasn't the best solution, this is much better, and works similar to the puzzle system to place pieces into different locations, triggering also events when an object is placed or removed.

The system only needs an object string name to know if a certain object can be placed or not (for the example below, the object searched by the triggers is "Battery", this name is configured in simple script inspector, not in the name of the gameObjec itself). This only took 20 minutes to addapt a previous script.

place object2.gif

place object.gif

In this example, placing the cube makes the object to rotate and removing it, stops that rotation.
    place object6.gif

place object8.gif

place object12.gif
    I will keep working on the level till the end of the week.

Regards.

3. neoshaman

neoshaman

Can you replace string with integer id or enum?

sr388 likes this.
  4. sr388

sr388

Sure, I could add both options, so you can use the identification option you prefer.

Regards.

ron-bohn likes this.
  5. neoshaman

neoshaman

It's for optimization purpose, string is generally frown upon. especially in update loop.

Mark_01 and sr388 like this.
  6. sr388

sr388

In this case, the string comparison is not in the Update function, but in another one that is just used when an object with an specific layer and tag calls the OnTriggerEnter function. I always try to avoid heavy code execution every frame in Update functions.

In every new version, I always find pieces of code here and there that can be optimized, following the unity tips for it. I didn't think about string on Update, though I am not sure if some component can be making this kind of check every frame (I would say no a priori), but I will check it. Like I said, I always try to avoid code from execute every frame unless is totally necessary.

Do you follow a certain or any guides for C# on unity (or in general for C#) to get a better perfomance of the code and things to avoid?

Regards.

EvilGremlin likes this.
  7. neoshaman

neoshaman

The performance talk at the various unite make the case for it (and the various advice in thread for scripting, it generate garbage and is slow), I never use string myself, I'm just not used to lol, I have always used some integer indexes ...

Trying to find up to date info:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/BestPracticeUnderstandingPerformanceInUnity5.html

The thing is that beginner do it so systematically, I was wondering why unity just don't detect them at compile time and optimize them on the fly, which they might start to do in current version.

EvilGremlin and sr388 like this.
  8. sr388

sr388

Interesting.

It is crazy how much garbage a piece of code can generate. It is really something to take into account.

Like you said, let's see if unity improve stuff like that in new versions. I will also take a look at more guides, to make improvements any place possible in the code.

Regards.

EvilGremlin, Mark_01, Wetw0rx and 2 others like this.
  9. bathyscaphe

bathyscaphe

So is this being able in 2.5d update? This is awersome!

sr388 likes this.
  10. sr388

sr388

Do you mean the ability to use weapons on free floating/zero gravity mode, leaving the hands free for it, these modes itself or the dynamic movement on the player's body on these modes?

For these 3 cases, yes they are already included and will be part of update 2.4d ;). In other case, tell me what you mean.

Btw, I will have the new demo scene build ready for this weekend. There could be elements to adjust or objects to place on the scene yet, but I don't want to make you people to wait more (you have already waited a lot), so even if the demo is not 100% ready, you will be able to try before next week. Also, the feedback from it will be very useful for the final version, improve things, find any possible issue, etc...

Regards.

EvilGremlin and danreid70 like this.
  11. Hexer_

Hexer_

What do you mean?
    Video shows a game made by Platinum Games.
    Everything you see in the video can be done in the game.

sr388 likes this.
  12. sr388

sr388

If I remember properly, the game was originally started by Konami (that trailer was for that initial version), but then the game was transferred to Platinum Games, and it is noticeable how elements were changed (maybe due to Konami was working on MGSV) and even the participation of Kojima was reduced on it (maybe for the same reason).

So maybe the first version of the game was going to have more stealth elements and complex story, or even physics based destruction for structures, to allow the player to do his mission as he prefers.

I like the Platinum Games version (love that developer and it is one of my favourite game, waiting for bayonetta 3), but like I said, I have curiosity to know how the Konami original version could have been....Nanomachines, son.

Regards.

13. Mark_01

Mark_01

Hey all, I was reading one page back about the VR ..

I got an Oculus rift last summer and I love it. XD ... I just found out 2 days ago there is a new

Oculus Product comming in the spring.. as far as i can tell it is like Oculus rift, except you are not
    depended on the PC for the room .. it is a free standing products 360 free rotation .. I can't figure out the
    right wording ..

It is called Oculus Quest . Its looks great is fairly cheap and is standalone here is a link ..
    https://www.oculus.com/quest/

I'll be getting one, I wish I had not got the rift, but that's how technology goes :D

Early comments are like this is rift quality, free of all the cords :)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    sr388, neodotca and danreid70 like this.
  14. sr388

sr388

It reminds me to Age of Ultron quote: "There are ....no strings on me" xd.

Yeah, I found that new version when I searched info to get an oculus go. It looks very promising, though I would like that quest is compatible with all previous games from rift (or at least as much as possible), but I am not sure if they have confirmed this. It will cost 400 dollars.

Like you said, the good part is that will have 6 degrees of freedom (movement and rotation, oculus go only have 3, for rotation), along with two controllers, like rift does, so it will allow to make and play games like other VR kits. I am waiting more info is released about that kit and to know if it will use the same (or similar) SDK and functions for input and interaction, allowing to support it automatically, so if you have integrated one system, the other will do and viceversa, or at least, simplify this process as much as possible.

Regards.

EvilGremlin and Mark_01 like this.
  15. danreid70

danreid70

Quick question regarding AI in current version... Where is the setting in AI Enemy for distance at which they will detect the player? I thought I had it, but it doesn't seem to be working as expected. Still playing around with it but thought I'd ask on here for confirmation, as wall as to ask the next question:

When the next update is available, will the AI changes be significant? In other words, should I mess with the current settings too much, or wait until the next version is released? I know it's coming soon - so... worth waiting?

It's quite fun already - I have characters interacting, drivable vehicles configured (though I'm just toying with them because again, I'm afraid if I reconfigure too many models into the current version, the update may break my prefabs. So I'm being cautious and concentrating more on my levels, terrain, buildings, etc.

Very much thinking about adding my own multi-player code, basically taking characters and creating a shell code for each character and using sync-vars to synchronize Position, Rotation of character, and then adding sync-vars for head rotation, and hand position and rotation -- thinking ahead on what other vars might be required. Probably using UNet, and just a simple Lobby (Unity's Lobby) for starters. Will have to figure out best way to sync weapons/etc., but for now I just want to be able to have multiple players sync up cleanly. Animations will probably have to be based on each client's system to decide whether walking or running animations are used, and... sorry... "thinking out loud"... Just want to get multiplayer working so bad right now because this system just SCREAMS for multiplayer carnage! :)

neodotca and sr388 like this.
  16. sr388

sr388

Hi @danreid70.

The AI has two triggers used to detect a possible target. One is a sphere collider, used for the regular range, any target inside this radius is checked inmediately to see if the AI can attack it or not. The other is a capsule collider used for his regular view (placed close to the head), this is used with a timer, so the AI checks the target for a certain amount of time until it checks if it is a target or not. These triggers are the responsable for the distance detection.

Both can be found inside the AI body, in the gameObject called AI Elements.

upload_2018-10-21_0-23-30.png

About the improvements for AI on the udpate 2.4d, there have been new elements and improvements added, but not too much significant. Maybe the new system to alert to AI with noises (projectles, steps, objects thrown, etc...), the range of view using a configurable amount of degress (like only detecting targets inside a radius of 90 degress) or the visible field of view of an enemy in the map (it is possible that I am forgetting other relevant elements added on the AI for this update, I will check the changelog).

This update has been focused more on the core of the asset along with elements close to it and new features and systems, rather than AI.

For update 3.0, AI will receive more improvements, but it is possible that after that update, the next one will be the one focused on AI, adding all those elements that has been discussed on this forum some pages ago and a few things more, including ability to drive vehicles and move on walls and any other surface according to how much flexible is the new nav mesh system from unity introduced on 2017.

Also, for udpate 3.0, I will rework the integration with emerald (due to the faction system of GKC, it needs an adaptation to work with that system).

I totally understand you and think the same (I am already excited with local split screen, imagine for online haha). I really can't wait to work on the online multiplayer. The only reason why is not present yet is that I have literally no more time available haha, I should start to work on split myself into two or a time machine to slow down the time and make longer days xd.

I wanted to start the online this year, but due to how last updates of GKC have been, I have invested all the time working on other elements first, increasing the interaction, making general improvements and extending previous systems.

If you are interested, one of the uses of the future repository of the asset (which will be available soon), will be to include extensions from any user, so if anyone makes an improvement or a new system, it can be included it on this repository. So if you have any progress on the online and you want to share that progress (I could understand you or other users refuse to it), you will be able to use this repository and that could boost the arrival of the online.

Regards.

17. sr388

sr388

@danreid70, I have just remembered another feature added to the AI (I haven't seen the changelog yet, I haven't the file available here), the possession/override system, similar to mario odyssey or dishonored, you can enter inside anything in the level and control it, from regular rigidbodies, to security cameras, turrets, vehicles, humanoid AI, etc... and being able to do any action that any of these elements can do. If an enemy can fire a weapon, or do close combat, you can do it.

This ability can be activated and used on weapons, powers, anything. Currently, it is used on the smartphone by taking a picture of the object to possess or a dedicated power, so you aim and select the object.

I still have to record a short video showing it.

Regards.

18. danreid70

danreid70

Very cool! Would love to see video of this feature! This very well could be the key to the multiplayer sync-ing. If you can "possess" an AI, the AI can essentially be the networked character. The NetworkID component has to be attached to a "root level" transform (can't be the child of another transform/gameobject). So if you can sync (sync-var) every action/event (and position/rotation) that the AI (or the controlling player) is "telling" the AI to do, then those sync-vars can transfer to the "cloned" version of the character (or vehicle, or whatever!), and the actions/movement/etc can happen on all the remote computers! Slick. Very slick. In fact, it sounds (in theory) to be pretty straight-forward! (in theory...) :) (again, thinking out loud)... :)

I'm really having more fun playing with this system than I should -- running around my scenes more than I'm building them! :)

EvilGremlin likes this.
  19. neoshaman

neoshaman

I'm the agent of chaos (chaous?) feature creepy!
    What about a basic fast setup system that would allow to script ai like in scribblenaut?

sr388 likes this.
  20. Hexer_

Hexer_

Yes, can't wait for Bayonetta 3!
    Also, Nier Automata is a masterpiece! :D

sr388 likes this.
  21. uni7y

uni7y

neodotca and sr388 like this.
  22. sr388

sr388

This week I will be able to make that video. For the multiplayer, I think the same system used for the AI for the input (received from the navmesh info and the AI "brain") could be the one which takes care for the sync-ing. Basically, it receives the direction where to go and where to look, along with use its weapons, combat and other actions.

It would be just a matter to add the rest of actions, probably an action class where send all the possible input, so the AI receives it and reproduces it in the scene. Maybe a better way can be achieved, I haven't too much experience with online yet.

Haha, I know that feel. It happened to me and is one of the reasons for the new demo scene. I found my self with a lot of new features and elements for the update but none a proper scene where to show and test them more xd. Fortunately, with the experience that I have achieved with probuilder and level design, that won't happen again.

I think you have mispelled Angel of Death....haha. Mmmm I played Scribblenauts a long time ago, but I don't remember the AI on that game. I have searched a little about the AI on it but haven't found nothing. Can you tell more about this system?

Yeah, I really want Automata on switch, or get a new PC to being able to play (my current PC is old and very veeeery used over all these years). Most of the OST that I hear while working is from that game xd....BECOME AS GODS.

I think it would only need the animator management for first person to set the different animation states accoding to the player actions and maybe a couple of elements more (the best for this would be to make a separated script to manage this animator states, to make things easier, or addapt the script used on that asset, adding the player weapons manager states for it). Along with that, just replacing the arms and weapons model from GKC with that one and any other sound or particle needed.

Btw, I am finishing the last details of the first part of the new demo scene for the build which will be posted here in a few hours. During the week, I will post new builds with the rest of parts finished on that demo (all the zones and elements are done, but some parts need some adjusments first).

I have added a battery distributor, similar to dead space, but actually this system uses a general script which allows to instantiate any object into the scene and allows the player to take it from the distributor and use according to the type of object. So now there are these two elements, battery distributos and places where to use them, like in dead space, but being very flexible components, allowing to get any object and trigger any event needed. These two elements are in the first part of the build for today.

Also, I have modified the IK system from a few posts to move body parts accoding to input on free floating mode and can be also used on zero gravity mode, allowing to configure different list of settings and states for every mode.

Regards.

23. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I wanted to finish and upload the demo today, but due to technical difficulties, I haven't been able to do it, but it will be available tomorrow, sorry for the extra waiting. In the meantime, here a quick preview of it:

new demo2.gif

new demo3.gif

new demo4.gif
    Regards.

24. uni7y

uni7y

Thanks for the small tut @sr388 ;) I will play with it when the new version is out...

Mark_01, tgamorris76 and sr388 like this.
  25. UserNotHere

UserNotHere

Hi thanks for the earlier response. Two questions:
    1.) Was wondering which file should I edit in order to change button configurations. Like instead of "I" for inventory lets say change it to "K"?
    2.)Is there a tentative date when version 2.4d, will be released?

Thanks.

26. sr388

sr388

Yeah, and don't doubt to ask any question or issue about it. Between 3.0 and the next update, I will add all the necessary parts on the weapons to use animations on them and manage every animator state.

Hi @UserNotHere.

1. To modify any element related to input, go to the inspector of Input Manager, in the gameObject Character. There, open the Axes list and the action you want to change its key. It is not necessary to modifiy any file, the input system uses a file to save/load the current keys actions on your project.

upload_2018-10-22_21-28-26.png

You can find more info about the input system on the doc. For update 2.4d, the custom input system has been improved a lot, allowing to configure a list of axes (previously, there is only one axes to configure), combined with separated input for every character using events, being much more easy and customizable (this is also part of the upcoming split screen system with multiple players on the same level).

Here you can see the new aspect of this system:

upload_2018-10-22_21-31-36.png

upload_2018-10-22_21-32-8.png

upload_2018-10-22_21-33-10.png

upload_2018-10-22_21-33-44.png

2. I am working to have it uploaded in the asset store this month. But for those who already has the asset, they will be able to get the new version before that. I will tell here when the project is ready to be shared and how to get it.

Regards.

27. UserNotHere

UserNotHere

Thanks, my bad I didn't realize there was more options to scroll down.

sr388 likes this.
  28. sr388

sr388

Good news, everyone.

Finally the first part of the new demo scene is finished. This part is between 15-20% of the full new level. The rest of the level is mostly done (all the structures are finished and most elements are placed and configured, only a few tweaks and details are needed). During the week, I will post new versions of the build with the rest of parts enabled.

Here the build: https://mega.nz/#!SQ8giASS!GCxkHUhJkbUc3b8GfPajxm6BSSe4JzofUGz3o9z3EZA

All the feedback about this build are very welcome, so please don't doubt about tell anything, issues, suggestions, thinks you like or you don't, etc....

For this demo, there are a couple of tutorials ingame that don't have the correct captures, due to I haven't made them yet, but it will be added for the next build. Also, the probuilder parts are not combined yet, but it will be done too.

No worries, glad to help.

Regards.

29. Muppo

Muppo

Just a 15-20% you say? this is a great demo showing lots of things in a tidy and fun way, can imagine how it will look when you finally include custom models and textured environments / GUI.

Personally I found the zero-gravity playability a with confusing, some times CapsLock makes player goes through level bounds. Anyway, it's great how fluid it goes, really well done.

Having to change to Powers mode to catch objects instead using E seems odd to me but it's not your fault at all, so many games instructed us that way than I'm very used to it, I guess.

Speaking on this, when interacting with stuff -specially doors- in first person view, you have to be really closed to the object. Can it be adjusted separatelly for FP and TP? - To be honest, had no time to test it myself on the 2.4c yet.

Waiting for the complete demo!

sr388 and neodotca like this.
  30. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

Hi sr388, u working on vehicles and vehicle ai next update right?

31. neodotca

neodotca

I really think you should rethink the process of how the player passes from one mode to another. When you are in the heat of the action, it's annoying having to press "H" to select the right mode (weapons/combat/power), same thing for the other modes with "J" (jetpack/flying/...). I strongly recommend you to simplify things in that matter.

Having a controller framework that allows you to create any kind of games is truly a fantastic idea, but also a big challenge when comes the time to make it "player friendly".

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    sr388 likes this.
  32. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

Not sure if its a bug, but couldnt get past the first room. Found the battery but couldnt grab it..

33. neodotca

neodotca

I just tried the demo, and my feeling is that when there are too many commands to learn and to accomplish, the player is going to feel frustrated and will abandon the game. Beside that, it's all good, sorry, i would of wanted to give you more positive feedback. :(

sr388 likes this.
  34. EvilGremlin

EvilGremlin

Hmm. Demo doesn't seem to work for me. The character doesn't respond to any input. Will try to find out more.

35. Bob3000

Bob3000

Thats right!
    Our solution is to put big buttons UI at the bottom for player to mouse select, while keyboard shortcut still functional.

The "J" jetpack is not good for our game (we disabled power) so "J" have only one purpose which is to confuse us even more. But If all keys & button can be re-arranged then no big deal we just shuffle them to whatever we like.

Get hit & immediately fight back is super important, so press keys to arm is not ideal, but Sr388 said he'll simplify this before so I believe will see improvements.

As a shooter, satisfyingly react to fire fight is very very important, there are teams have people doing just that full-time. So please give more love to this feature.

Simple is sometimes better.

sr388 likes this.
  36. sr388

sr388

Thanks to all for trying the demo.

Hi @Muppo.

Yeah, can't wait to finish the full level, I am sure you will like it.

Haha, maybe it is me that I am very used to play with gravity mechanics, like in gravity rush, dead space and others. If you think something can be improved on this system, tell me about it.

I will check the level bound when the player adjust the gravity position. To grab objects, I think it is better to have a separated keys to interact with objects and to grab them. You can also grab objects directly on first person.

Also, with the option to carry physical objects on the player's hands, it is not necessary to enter in aim mode for this, just need to come close to them and press the grab object button. These objects will be added for new builds.

For doors, I will increase the trigger sizes, so it can be seen better on first person. I will also put a little down the interaction panel in doors, to make them more visible on this view too. There is not option to configure it separately on first and third person, since that system uses triggers to work. But maybe I could add an option in the next update to allow to configure min distance for both views, to allow more customization.

Yes, I will finish the AI on vehicles for 3.0 along with add the cargo system and an spatial ship, with most elements that you can find on start citizen for them.

@magique told me a way to make this system easier, by allowing for example to press the buttons used for next and previous powers/weapons to change these modes directly. This is the explanation:

"I think a simplification should be that you just have a Next/Previous button or keys and that all type of combat are within this. So, imagine you have 3 weapons, hand-to-hand, and 3 powers. On the XBox controller you might press right d-pad and scroll through the powers/abilities one by one. Then you don't have to switch modes and also you don't need to go into or out of aim mode. "

I think it is a good way to do it. I will make a system to allow to mix these systems as you need, allowing for example, to configure 2 powers, 2 weapons and 2 powers, allowing to change between them with the default keys (O,P) and key numbers.

What room? The battery distributor with a lock? You can use an inventory key to open or shoot or hit the lock to open it. Tell me if this is the battery you didn't get.

This demo is made to try all the controls, but I have tried to explain them better with the tutorial system (including an option to see them in the pause menu in any moment). But the system is made to allow to edit the input actions, so ou can add or remove actions as you need, it is not necessary to include all these controls in a project and they are not hard coded, you can customize them at will.

Mmmm, that is strange, can I send you another build with another settings to test if the input works properly?

Yes, input can be modified as you need (for update 2.4d is much more customizable and works without need to even touch the code, using events), so you can make a simple controller or add specific actions, like only use weapons for example. Also, you can disable any of the current actions, like the jetpack.

For shooting on third person, I will add an option on 3.0 to use hipfire, so you can shoot weapons without need to aim. Also, the aim feeling and control will be improved (including run strafing for third person, allowing to run while you aim too).

Thanks again for the feedback and waiting for more.

Regards.

tgamorris76 and hopeful like this.
  37. ivolga-indi

ivolga-indi

It will be?

38. sr388

sr388

Do you mean to have weapons managed on the inventory for update 2.4d? In that case, yes it will be available. Everything in that post is already finished and included for the update.

Regards.

39. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have create the discord channel for GKC, so feel free to join: https://discord.gg/kUpeRZ8

On this channel there will be discussed any kind of stuff, allowing things like more polls about next features, suggestions, etc...

Regards.

40. neodotca

neodotca

I like the solution from @magique... but with an extra option.

Combine "weapons" and "powers" together, selecting them using "o" and "p" key.

Enable or disable combat mode from the inspector, if enable the player will switch automatically from weapon mode to combat mode when the player is very close to an enemy. I would prefer that, because when you have the enemy in your face, you dont want to start searching for the combat mode and then go back to a weapon when you move away from that enemy.

Note that you can still have the option to add the combat mode to the weapons and powers configuration if you prefer.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    sr388 likes this.
  41. neodotca

neodotca

I don't really like this idea, now we will have to check 2 different sites to talk about the same subjects

drcfrx likes this.
  42. sr388

sr388

Interesting way, I could add that option too, since it is easy to do.

I think the channel will allow to discuss all kind of stuff, so it will be something good for all of us.

Regards.

uni7y likes this.
  43. neodotca

neodotca

Checkout the new video of my game... game made with the GKC, thanks for watching! >> http://neo.ca/

44. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

Looks good!

neodotca likes this.
  45. sr388

sr388

Looks nice, cool video mounting. Feel free to post the trailer on the forum if you want.

Regards.

neodotca likes this.
  46. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have been improved the rail mechanism system since I have added a puzzle using it, where the player has to get a pickup to enable an ability, in this case, the gravity power. Here you can see the result:

All on this scene is configured using general scripts that are flexible enough to configure this kind of events. Nothing is scripted or hard coded. This room will contain more elements to use to exit from it once the door is closed.

I want to update the new build tomorrow, though I will be half day outside of home, but I will try to have it ready for tomorrow.

Regards.

EvilGremlin, Mark_01 and StevenPicard like this.
  47. Bob3000

Bob3000

Yes in addition to switch automatically when close to enemy, taking any damage also do that too, pretty standard in some games.

sr388 and neodotca like this.
  48. neodotca

neodotca

I really hope the FPS mode of GKC will look and feel like that one day, make that your priority please!

Thanks to all who took the time to watch the trailer of my game, btw i'm looking for people to add "advance enemies A.I" and "destructible objects".

Can't wait to upgrade GKC to 2.4d.

sr388 likes this.
  49. sr388

sr388

Yeah, I will see the best way to combine these elements to make them more easy to change and allow to change dynamically according to enemy presence.

Yeah, animations will be added to first person as well (third person animations will arrive before and then for first view).
    Also, controls and feeling will be improved (it has already started to be improved for 2.4d and it will become better and better, you can be sure ;)).

Regards.

Mark_01, EvilGremlin and neodotca like this.
  50. EvilGremlin

EvilGremlin

@Bob3000 @neodotca FYI

@sr388 said that the new power system (which will be a lot like the current weapon system) will be in after 2.5 at some point. He needs to update the list is all.

But I think you guys are probably right. Focus on refined animations/controls and a more homogeneous power/weapon system are probably good time investments.

It would be a good idea to just combine the power and weapon system together. A power would not have a weapon to switch to, but otherwise almost everything can be handled the same as a weapon.

Making a more universal "energy" (the energy bar) and ammo system couldn't hurt too. There's no reason you shouldn't be able to set it up so that powers could use ammo or weapons could use energy.

Following that same line of thought, you could make the "energy" bar much more generic. So different weapons and powers could use different energy bars as ammo or as damage. Sprinting, activating teleport or even taking damage could all be set up to drain, from the health, stamina, energy, mana or whatever bar. You could even create "buffs" that boost those bars the same way.

You could make item pick ups more universal as well. So a single pick up could replace any number of energy bars, ammo slots or whatever.

I think this type of universal resource and resource-depleting system would make the controller a lot more robust for a lot of different types of games. Also, I think the code would be relatively simple compared to what you are already doing with GKC @sr388. You're just making the existing variable system more universal.

That may a be good primer for creating the stat system too. Having that all hammered out and universally interchangeable before hand could make implementing the stats system a lot easier on you too.

Wetw0rx, neodotca and sr388 like this.