Search Unity

[RELEASED] Ability & Combat Toolkit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Mozza, Nov 2, 2019.

1. Mozza

Mozza

Hey ChronoSynth, hope you having a great weekend! Find answers to your questions below:

ABC doesn't integrate with the new input system currently but this is on the roadmap to do in future.

Yes very possible :)

It is possible to create a beam type attack currently but it's not the easiest to setup, I am looking to add beam type abilities soon.

There is a list of 50+ effects which you can attach to abilities from attacks to movements etc. But you can also easily code your own in or use the effect subscriber component which allows you to select a function to run when a certain effect is applied, for example:

upload_2020-11-29_18-28-8.png

Hope that answers everything but let me know if you have any additional questions :D

2. ChronoSynth

ChronoSynth

How do I code in my own effects?

3. Mozza

Mozza

There is a section which has a switch case running different code depending on the effect name which was applied to the object:

upload_2020-11-30_19-31-18.png

You can add your own effects here which can run your own custom code. The name of the effect which matches the code to run can be entered here when adding effects.

upload_2020-11-30_19-32-57.png

When you are ready to do this let me know and I will show you how to find this section of code. There is a lot of effects already added so you might have everything you need already :D

4. ChronoSynth

ChronoSynth

How to I create a beam-type attack?

5. ChronoSynth

ChronoSynth

P.S.: How do I set up the crosshair (in a third person project)?

6. ChronoSynth

ChronoSynth

P.S.S:

Where do I find this section of code?

7. Mozza

Mozza

Hey :) think it might be easier and more informative if we chatted live so I can go through any questions you have bit by bit with screenshots. Do you have Discord? If you join the channel and message me then I can help you with anything you need for ABC: https://discord.gg/NCKgQsrw

I look forward to hearing from you!

Mark_01 likes this.
  8. Mozza

Mozza

Hey all, I hope you all ready to wind down for the festive holidays and eat lots of food! The last release of v1.5 was a while back and I want to ensure you are all getting constant updates. The plan for 1.6 originally was to add the character creator but this system is turning out to be 10x bigger then I thought.

I am nearly there with it and when it's finished you will be able to setup characters with premade global weapons/attacks/abilities in just a few clicks. Since I have added lots of functionality/bug fixes already I have decided to release v1.6 early with the new functionality but not the character creator and then v1.7 will be released early next year with the new character creator system.

ABC was released around this time last year and it has been such a wonderful year watching you all use ABC and I thank you so much for all the showcases/reviews. ABC is still very young and I am excited to bring you more and more functionality. 1.6 has been submitted to the store and should hopefully be available to download this week.

#### v1.6 Release Notes ####

**** Abilities new Functionality/Amendments ****

1) Abilities can now be set their own graphic indicator when using 'Ability Before Target' for example in MOBA/Top Down games where an ability is selected before a target/world position/mouse direction.
    - World Indicators show the area of effect the ability will impact
    - Range indicator circles can be used to show the range the ability can be casted in
    - Mouse indicators can show the direction the ability will be fired in on mouse click
    - Default indicators can be added by pressing the default icon next to each setting.

2) Initiation Speed Percentage has been added with effects to modify this. Speed up your attack rate/animations or slow it down with abilities

3) Melee attacks, selected target (with always travel on) and forward target projectiles now allows you to select additional rotate behaviours when no target selected for examples, rotate to camera center, mouse direction, current direction. Allows for top down game styles where attacks follow the mouse.

4) Starting Position 'On Self Tag' will now prioritise equipped weapons over unequipped weapons with the same tag

5) Abilities can now be assigned tags to easily filter and group them in the inspect ability list

6) Performance improvements have been made to abilities with 'OnStay' set as their ability collision type.

7) Ability collision details have been added to the diagnostic log

**** Impact Juice new Functionality/Amendments ****

1) StopHit on impact settings have been added
    - Allows for stop hit/lag to be added on attack collisions to add more juice to your games
    - Will for a duration set stop the movement of the attacker/enemy to effect for a bigger hit

2) Added a delay setting to freeze time on impact setting

3) Added a impact setting to shake the entity hit on impact, will make the object jitter for more hit juice

4) Added an impact setting to change colour on impact for more hit juice, this can also be applied from an ability effect.

**** Animations new Functionality/Amendments ****

1) Animation Clips used with ABC's animation runner now blend between for a more smoother animation experience

2) Avatar Mask setting for ABC's animation runner has now been added to every animation, easily drag in an avatar mask to only have the animation run on for example the top half of the character

3) Animation override setting has been added to weapons, this allows you to override the idle/walk/run/jump animations with a animation clip. Setup just one idle/run animations in the Animator and have these clips setup in the Animator overriden with a new clip depending on the weapon equipped. Allows less setup to be made in the Animator.

4) Crosshair Override Animation added to weapons, useful for FPS/TPS. Allows for a different animation to play when the player is focusing/aiming. The global crosshair override animation can still be set if you don't want an animation per weapon.

**** Weapons new Functionality/Amendments ****

1) Setting added to disable all abilities attached to other weapons when equipping a weapon, allows for you to disable all abilities attached to other weapons leaving abilities like spells to always be enabled.

2) Added a show/hide gameobject list to weapons, any gameobjects in this like will be enabled when the weapon is equipped and disabled when unequipped, useful to add any UI in here that relates to each weapon.

3) Added a button to automatically create weapon pickup objects for weapons, simply click this button and a new gameobject/prefab will be put into your scene which can be used to pick up weapons by your characters.

**** AI new Functionality/Amendments ****

1) Improved AI so it handles ability combo's better

2) Added more then one tag to AI Navigation, this can be set to follow the tags in order or randomly. By using the ordering you can set for friendly NPCs to follow your character until an enemy is near in which it will then navigate towards it to attack if tag order looks like following: enemy > player

3) Improved AI targeting so potential targets are ordered by closest range and made it so AI rules check the current AI Navigation target first before the other potential targets, i.e who the AI has focus on

4) if an AI is using Line of Sight (i.e enemies won't know your there until they see you) they will now become alerted if hit before they see your character.

**** Misc new Functionality/Amendments ****

1) Adding a new UI Icon will now automatically create an icon button in game already linked, simply move this icon in your scene or modify it as you wish.

2) The current Tab/Settings selected now persists and will now reset when managers are opened

3) Manager windows have been changed to tab type to allow for you to add more then one manager into the same window

4) Pressing the button to convert a soft target to a target whilst already targetting an entity will now untarget them, i.e press space bar to target and press again to untarget.

**** Bug Fixes ****

Bug Fix: Raycast abilities could not be activated on self, this has now been fixed

Bug Fix: Red text would show on buttons when deleting an effect until the game is next played

Bug Fix: Example camera demo script no longer collides with abilities, camera will also now stop rotating when in ability before target mode to allow the player to easily select the target or world position to activate the ability on

Bug Fix: Fixed a bug where applying travel duration would cause an error

Bug Fix: Face Target required will no longer error on melee attacks

Bug Fix: AI Navigation Animation Runner will now not run more smoothly

Bug Fix: Hit that stop movement will now stop any AI Navigation Destination Behaviours (Walking round character etc)

Bug Fix: Weapon Drop/Pickup now handles better when the drop/pickup duration is set to 0

Bug Fix: UI Icons can now handle when the gameobject has an image component and not a raw image component

Bug Fix: Fixed a bug where you was unable to target select the player

Mark_01, hessex and Duffer123 like this.
  9. keybol23

keybol23

Awesome tool. Can you give me a hint on how to implement the new input system? I'm trying to edit the ABC_Ability just to try out something as I have controls ready for gamepad, keyboard and mobile virtual buttons ready from my previous games

10. Mozza

Mozza

Hey :) I am looking to integrate the new input system in a future version as there will be quite a lot of places you will have to change. Essentially if you can find and navigate to every Input interface code used in the system you should be able to replace that with the new input system, it's not a small task though!

Here is some tips on migration: https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.inputsystem@0.9/manual/Migration.html#getAxis

A lot of input logic is done in 'ButtonPressed' functions so also a good place to look out for. Hope that helps but let me know if you have any further questions :D

11. keybol23

keybol23

Thank you very much. Yes I noticed ButtonPressed has the logic I need. Thanks for the guidance, I can try to work from there until the official release supports the new input system. Cheers!

12. keybol23

keybol23

I may have found a quick fix / trick to trigger it
    controls.Player.Fire1.performed += context =>
    {
    AttackPressed();
    };
    controls.Player.Fire2.performed += context =>
    {
    DashPressed();
    };
    }

private void AttackPressed()
    {
    ABCcontroller.TriggerAbility(1034891);
    }

private void DashPressed()
    {
    ABCcontroller.TriggerAbility(1034061);
    }

It also works for combos

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
  13. Mozza

Mozza

Nice find! Yes that would work perfectly :D

Merry Christmas!

Mark_01 likes this.
  14. keybol23

keybol23

Merry Christmas Mozza!

Duffer123 likes this.
  15. MAVG

MAVG

This asset sounds Awsome

But one Question...

Can i create a grappling hook with it? (that attracts the originator to a point) or better yet to swing like spiderman??

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
  16. Mozza

Mozza

Hey MAVG,

There is no such functionality in ABC currently which can make the character swing like Spiderman or grapple to a certain location.

The main focus with ABC is on combat and combat related functionality. I might add swinging mechanics one day but it's not currently planned for the near future, sorry!

ABC has been designed to work alongside other character controllers however if you have one which already swings :D

Hope that helps but let me know if you have any further questions

17. Minzie

Minzie

@Mozza, I'm interested in your asset. I would like to know is this asset fully optimized? especially for game with lots of animations, items, special effects?

18. Minzie

Minzie

@Mozza another question, is this integrated with Playmaker? This will be my major consideration before buying.. I really hope there are custom actions for Playmaker.

19. Mozza

Mozza

Hey thanks for your questions, I have yet to see anyone have any performance issues and I am always actively optimizing in every update. Here is a video I quickly put together of some previous performance recordings. Excuse the bad quality in the second clip it's zoomed in on a tiny display.

There is currently no integration with Playmaker but it's on the Roadmap for future :)

20. Mozza

Mozza

Have put together a little preview of some new functionality available in the next update which I am hoping to release in the next few weeks.

ABC will now have a very easy to use character creator and global ability/weapon/effect system with lots of predefined elements to add or modify to your games from the get go:

Update1.PNG Update2.PNG Update3.PNG

ABC is in the 50% sale so get it whilst it's at a discount! https://t.co/c60gEp0Dk3?amp=1

Minzie likes this.
  21. MaximilianPs

MaximilianPs

I'm still looking for a faster way to add a medieval like combat system to my project, but I've a bunch of issue to solve, first of all, I need to add a bunch of custom behavior to NPCs, and foremost, NPCs have factions that can change during the gameplay.

Can I achive what I need with your package?
    I ask 'cause I see that there just Enemy and Player on your settings interface, and that's stops me form buying your asset. :-\

22. Mozza

Mozza

Have responded on Discord :)

Just for anyone else curious it's possible to set behaviour to define who attacks who, can define tags on what the AI will navigate and attack towards, including other NPC or the player etc

23. Mozza

Mozza

Just wanted to post to announce ABC v2.0 is now released on the Asset Store with a whole new lick of paint including a new character creator which can setup your characters to be ready for combat in just a few clicks, demonstrated in the video below:

it's currently on sale for 50% off so grab it whilst you can!

24. sichimi1021

sichimi1021

Great assets!
    I would like to see support for Enter Play Mode.

25. Mozza

Mozza

Thanks for the support, really appreciate it!

Can you go into some more detail regarding Play Mode support? Just to make sure I understand correctly what you looking for :)

26. sichimi1021

sichimi1021

I'm sorry. Enter Play Mode is a function of the following URL.
    It shortens the start of the play mode by up to 50%-90%.

Configurable Enter Play Mode
    https://docs.unity3d.com/2019.4/Documentation/Manual/ConfigurableEnterPlayMode.html

The support I'm looking for is for when Reload Domain is unchecked.
    Currently, if Reload Domain is unchecked, no bullets are fired.

The following URL shows how to do it.
    It seems that static variables are not reset.
    https://docs.unity3d.com/2019.4/Documentation/Manual/DomainReloading.html

Thank you for your time.

27. Mozza

Mozza

Thanks for the further description, just had a look into this and unfortunately ABC doesn't support Enter Play Mode yet but I have added this to the roadmap to look into in future :D

28. thanhle

thanhle

Can be setup combat in air ?
    like devil my cry - hack and splash ?

29. graphicsayy97

graphicsayy97

hello,

i got this asset as its a smart choice and good

but how do we remake this?

can you give us demo scene and list asset store assets to buy for make this??

how do we do teleport blink, please, is it animation or ability allows interaction for transform mid use??

thank you dev for your work

30. Mozza

Mozza

Hey there,

Thanks for reaching out :D

Yes that's correct - combat can be setup so it can be used in air or just on the ground etc

31. Mozza

Mozza

Hey there,

All animations in that video uses Frank animations (https://assetstore.unity.com/publishers/35604), in the latest version of ABC if you look at the premade global abilites you will see it includes a teleport blink which I recommend you use, modify or edit :D

upload_2021-7-28_23-7-47.png

The new weapons that come with ABC have a similar fighting style to that video just different animations so feel free to amend those to fit what you are looking for

ABC has functionality to 'defy gravity' for a while when using air attacks, this lets you slash away in the air also shown in the video linked:

upload_2021-7-28_23-10-29.png

Hope that helps but let me know if you have any further questions :)

StevenPicard likes this.
  32. eleon-games

eleon-games

Hi,

i have an existing Character Controller and just want to add Melee attacks. Is it possible to only use the attack system and combine it with a different character controller for running, jumping ect.?

33. Mozza

Mozza

Yes that's possible :D

ABC can also run on it's own animation clip system so it won't interrupt any Animators you have setup on your existing Character Controller. A lot of people use ABC with character controllers like GC or custom one's they have made.

I recommend if you use the ABC character creator that you untick the 'Add Movement' and 'Add Camera'

upload_2021-8-5_17-1-6.png

Let me know if you have any further questions, will be more then happy to assist :D

34. GamePowerNetwork

GamePowerNetwork

Hi @Mozza I just purchased ABC yesterday and I'm already loving it.

I was wondering if there was a way to use the camera shake when not using the ABC camera? I'm using Cinemachine and a normal camera. How can I get the camera shake working?

Also my other question: Is it possible to do heavy attacks with this system. For example if I hold down a button (left mouse button) for 1 sec, my player charges a heavy attack which does more damage (or even triggers buffs).

An example of this type of gameplay can be seen in the game "New World". You can add passive abilities to your character to that if they land a heavy attack they could gain a defense buff or attack buff... stuff like that.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
  35. Mozza

Mozza

Hey PyroStudios, really glad to hear you are enjoying ABC! Love reading comments like that :D

At the moment the ABC camera shake does not work on Cinemachine but it should be something quite small and quick to add so I have added it to my to-do list to look at over next week or two when I get a spare minute.

Unfortunately there is no 'Hold/Charge' functionality just yet but it is something I want to add in future. You can however set for an ability to only trigger when 2 buttons are held/pressed so you could have the player hold a specific button and then press the mouse button to do a heavier attack, you can set that in the Key & Combo Settings.

In the below example the Flaming Upper Slash will only activate if the H is being held down when pressing the left mouse button, else if H is not being held down and mouse is pressed it would skip this ability and continue to do the normal combo (looking lower down in the ability list on the left)

upload_2021-8-8_15-32-19.png

To add a buff when you land an attack you can change any effect so the 'Activate On' dropdown has 'Originator' selected. In this example below I have copied the 'Strength Up' global effect then selected the activate on 'Originator' dropdown and added it to the Flaming Upper Slash, now every time the attack connects it will give the Originator (the player doing the attack) a strength buff:

upload_2021-8-8_15-37-57.png

Here is a GIF of it in action:

StrengthHit.gif

Hope that helps! Feel free to post here or on the support channel on Discord if you have any further questions and I will be more then happy to answer them :D

GamePowerNetwork likes this.
  36. GamePowerNetwork

GamePowerNetwork

Awesome! looks good. Thanks for the explanation!

37. GamePowerNetwork

GamePowerNetwork

Hi again @Mozza, I see there is integration with Unity Input System, but it doesn't show anywhere in the documentation how to set it up.

EDIT: This was solved for me on the ABC Discord!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
  38. Mozza

Mozza

Hey PyroStudios, the documentation is currently being rebuilt and I'm also currently working on some new tutorial videos. I added the integration system last week after a request from the community so have not yet added the documentation for it which I do apologise for.

Everyone on Discord has been using the following picture to get an idea of how to setup it up. Hope it helps you also but let me know if you need me to go through any of it :D

39. Mozza

Mozza

Last chance to get ABC for 50% off in the Summer Sale!

40. torinikukfc

torinikukfc

Hey, amazing asset, a few questions though:
    • How would you go about adding attack modifiers on the fly for attacks and skills?
    eg. If a player picks up an item that passively adds a 10% chance to add a bleeding debuff on the enemy, and I want it to apply to all the abilities of that player.
    I have read a lot of the Docs but I don't see anything about any attack modifier changes in run time though. (maybe I missed something?)

• How do I go about creating an ability at a position defined in code or something like mouse position, instead of on gameobjects with ABC_states on them? Is it the "World" option in Position and travel? If so can I define its position via code or have it use my mouse position?
    I am making a side-scrolling action game, while there is no native support for it yet, It still works pretty well and I can integrate most of the movement-related effects myself, but since the mouse 2D stuff is for a topdown game instead, none of the mouse-based direction functions work for me.

All I need is to turn the directions of travel by 90°, so instead of firing a projectile towards the Z-axis when I point my mouse up, It fires at the +Y-axis (Up) instead. I am thinking of writing that myself for but how would I implement that into ABC?
    (eg. I would have a new travel type called mouse2DSide instead of mouse2D in there for me to select)

Thanks in advance!

41. Mozza

Mozza

Hey Torinikukfc, thanks for getting in touch :D

I love the idea of adding an item that adds a passive bleeding debuff to all attacks. Right now there is no way to turn on/off passive effects for all attacks like that unfortunately!

However after I create some tutorial videos for ABC (my current focus) I will be working on what I call 'progression functionality' for ABC. This will include unlocking at certain levels, skill trees, passive buffs etc. I am hoping to work on that as the next big thing so keep an eye out over the next few months and I will make sure bleeding debuffs like this are included.

In regards to the 2D situation I got very interested in how ABC would work with 2D so tried it out on the Unity sample project. I have attached a video on how I got this working:

In a nutshell I did the following -

1) Added ABC StateManager component to the enemy (to receive effects from abilities)
    upload_2021-8-11_17-20-43.png

2) Added a 3D Box Collider GameObject as a child of the 2D enemy
    upload_2021-8-11_17-20-20.png

3) Created a fireball spell which had either 'Mouse Target' travel type but locking the Z value (make sure 'Continuously Turn to Target is off' or it will stop at mouse position and not carry on)

upload_2021-8-11_17-22-11.png

or had the travel type of Mouse 2D

upload_2021-8-11_17-22-28.png

4) Then added a 'DestroyEntity' effect

Please also note for this project I had to tag the camera as 'Main Camera' to allow for ABC to pick it up (which is needed for it to work out the mouse position.

I hope that helps but let me know if you get stuck and I will be more then happy to help! :D

Attached Files:

torinikukfc likes this.
  42. torinikukfc

torinikukfc

Hey, Thanks for the quick reply.

A shame that attack modifiers like that haven't been implemented yet, is there a rough ETA for that feature? If it takes too long I might go about making it myself because I do not want to kill the momentum of my project too much. For now, I might just bodge something up.:D

Thanks for the 2D tip, I will try it and I will be sure to ask you again if I get stuck on anything.

43. Mozza

Mozza

I am hoping to start the progression functionality in around a month after the tutorials and documentation is done :D

Hope you have a good weekend!

44. poshaughnessey

poshaughnessey

FYI - there is a null reference exception in ABC_MovementController.cs. I fixed the else on line 526 with:

Code (CSharp):
    1.         else
    2.         {
    3.             var lockOnTargetIsNull = this.lockOnTarget == null;
    4.             if (lockOnTargetIsNull && Time.time - timeMovementLastDisabled > 0.3f)
    5.                 this.Rotate(this.moveDirection, this.rotationSpeed, this.inputForce);
    6.             else if (!lockOnTargetIsNull)
    7.                 this.meTransform.LookAt(lockOnTarget.transform.position);
    8.         }

45. Mozza

Mozza

Hey poshaughnessey - thanks so much for highlighting this to me I have just uploaded the fix to the store :D hope you have a great weekend!

poshaughnessey likes this.
  46. dre38w

dre38w

Hello.

I just opened this toolkit for the first time and I'm pretty excited to dive into it. However, as soon as I imported the package, I get an error that is preventing me from going forward. It is saying "Feature 'using static' cannot be used because it is not part of the C# 4.0 language specification" What do I need to use instead?

Thank you.

47. Mozza

Mozza

Hey, thanks for getting in touch. Not seen this error occur for anyone before but very interested to get this sorted for you!

Would you mind posting a screenshot of the error so I can provide some further assistance :D

48. dre38w

dre38w

Absolutely, thank you.

I did some digging and supposedly in order to get that to work I need .NET 4x in the API Compatibility Level. I am not sure if this is actually what is wrong or not. Not to mention my Unity doesn't have the option for .NET 4x and the internet's solutions to get that as an option aren't panning out.

Anyway, I've attached the image. :)

Attached Files:

49. dre38w

dre38w

Just a quick bump if anyone is familiar with this issue. I’ve googled and seen similar problems so it’s not the kit as far as I can figure. You guys think I should start a new thread or is it appropriate to keep this here?

50. Mozza

Mozza

Hey :D I think this is to do with a Unity setting after doing some digging online.

You can keep the question in here in case anyone else can help but if the below doesn't work it might be worth creating a new thread with a title specific to the problem to attract some more Unity specific help.

Here is the solution I found online:

Go to Project Settings -> Player -> Other and then changed "Scripting Runtime Version" from "3.5" (which it said was deprecated) to ".NET 4.x Equivalent" and changed "Api Compatibility Level" from ".NET Standard 2.0" to ".NET 4.x" and restarted Unity.

Hopefully that works for you!