Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

5 Layer Splat mapping with Flow Maps, Painting tools, etc..

Discussion in 'Works In Progress' started by jbooth, Jan 10, 2016.

1. jbooth

jbooth

Hi,
    I released a free vertex painting program a while back on my GitHub account which takes advantage of some new Unity5 features (additionalVertexStreams). I had so much fun writing it that I kept going, and I'd like to show you a preview of what it can now do. The system now has a ton of new features, including mesh deformation, support for all mesh channels, Flow painting, and a set of custom PBR shaders to take advantage of this data.

It also supports a number of features not shown in this video. Any feedback on what you'd like to see it support, etc, would be appreciated!

2. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Last time i try your vertex painting for some reason it slowing down the editor even when it's not running, so i have to use isPainting bool check to run the function and make editor responding again.
    Any chance to get any update of this from the repo? :)

3. jbooth

jbooth

The new one is much more optimal, but I haven't back ported it to the other repo yet..

4. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

would be cool to try the latest :)

5. mensch-mueller

mensch-mueller

Hi
    interesting video (doesn´t know that this would be possible in shaders ;)), especially flow maps ! Thanks!
    Is your Vertex Painter working with terrains? Is it possible to paint flow maps on terrain?

Cheers and have more fun coding :)
    Michael

6. jbooth

jbooth

I haven't really messed with Unity terrains at all, so I would expect them not to work as I know they use custom shaders and their own system of splat mapping.

7. deverolirc

deverolirc

Does this support SM2/OpenGLES 2.0?

JamesArndt likes this.
  8. jbooth

jbooth

yeah..

9. jbooth

jbooth

For reference if you come across this thread, I'm mostly working on MegaSplat now, which takes all of this type of stuff to the next level, with 256 textures per material, terrain support, tessellation, and a ton more:

MegaSplat

This project is still on GitHub for free though.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  10. ilesonen

ilesonen

Hi jbooth,
    I just tested out the Vertex painter and it's really amazing asset. Thank you! I'm currently working on off road driving game and the mesh deformation feature could work for creating soft ground effect for tires. Since I'm no coder would you have any examples how to make it work runtime, or is it possible?

11. jbooth

jbooth

You can look in the vertex painter's brush code to see how I do it; it's pretty brute force, but the VertexInstanceStream will manage updating things for you. The big cost is usually in updating the mesh (if it has a lot of vertices).

unityunity