Search Unity

5.6 released

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by SaraCecilia, Mar 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AAK_Lebanon

AAK_Lebanon

I have a problem with this version of unity that disappear if I uninstalling it and installing the old version of unity:
    simply create an empty project and create an empty script, you will notice an error in the console with an empty description and you can't hit the play button ! this is an annoying error I can't use this version of unity and I have reported a bug to unity , does anyone can reproduce this behavior ?

2. JanDawid

JanDawid

Just tried it out and I'm experiencing SEVERE performance drops! My project was running smoothly at 60+fps throughout the levels and they loaded in smoothly as well. Now the levels are running (in some areas) at less than 30fps with more step-pass calls than before and after loading a level it continues to stutter from loading quite a bit. I can't really point at what the culprit is but I expected things to run the same (if not, better) at the worst; I also tried out the Vulkan API with no difference as it was still having these terrible performance issues. Even restarted my PC and, yes, I'm using the latest nvidia driver, etc.

Unity, there's something wrong with 5.6 and honestly I don't have the time to figure out what it is.
    I think I'll just revert to 5.5.1 for now...

3. xCyborg

xCyborg

Best point release ever, twice as big as 3.5.

AlanMattano likes this.
  4. julianr

julianr

same issue, my project throws lots of cloth physics errors and drops the frame rate, had to disable it.

5. Dennis_eA

Dennis_eA

No, it isn't considering there seem to be (a few) new or old bugs.

Unity is awesome, but please less new features in exchange for a more bug-free user experience :// That would be great

5.5.3f1 seems to be stable (for my purposes)

AlanMattano, Ironmax and Quast like this.
  6. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

Yes, thanks for pointing that out! Probably good to include in the upgrade guide as well.

7. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

Hmm, how do you mean?

8. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

I would give it around two weeks.

9. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

Which drop-down issue are you referring to? Can you give me the bug report nr?

10. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

Hi, what's the bug report nr for this? I'll check up on it.

11. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

The plan is to unify it with a package manager which will let you select and pulls things together per project.

12. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

can't wait for the package manager.

It quite difficult to track updates packages in different projects.

A nice thing would be if a package had a url for the source file and if there are changes there that an update indication is shown in the package manager.

AlanMattano likes this.
  13. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

Can you give me the bug report nr so I can check it out?

14. yuliyF

yuliyF

GUI: Scroll Rect is broken too. There are items won't visible or some I can't click on it

15. kemalakay

kemalakay

Unity Technologies

If you build the lighting in your scene manually (with Auto disabled - in lighting panel) and reload your scene, it should work. The auto mode will be refactored soon.

Thanks,
    QA Team

Deleted User likes this.
  16. Zilk

Zilk

I got a build issue on iOS with Unity 5.6. It shows some of the splash screen (like top corner and first two letters in Made with Unity) then just starts flickering and doesn't render the first scene. Worked on 5.5, any other reports of build issues on iOS with 5.6? I'm using Cloud Build and did a clean build but still the same issue.

17. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

Hopefully by the end of this week!

18. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

19. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

Are you destroying the GameObject using this component? We've had an issue with this in the past. If so, it may be the regression is not fixed in this release.

20. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  21. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

I suggest following this thread.

22. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

23. petersx

petersx

no - simply steps:
    1. Add 3d plane object to scene
    2. add cloth script to 3d plane object
    3. start game - crash or hang editor

24. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

Ok, then it may be a different bug. Can you file a report with a repro project and give me the report nr?

25. petersx

petersx

I can't - editor hang with these steps. I think you don't need report - just do these simple three steps.
    EDIT: These steps was done with clean new project without any downloads and asset - only create new project and then do these 3 steps.
    EDIT2: This bug was in all 5.6 beta versions - i was hoping that 5.6 final will be ok with cloth.

26. Deleted User

Deleted User

Ah, thanks for the info. When is "soon"? ;)

27. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

Hi Sarah, do you know if vaulkan works in editor or build only?

28. Ben-BearFish

Ben-BearFish

@SaraCecilia Do you know if this currently exists, or is it on the list to do soon? I feel like a videoplayer without the functionality of rewind or stepping backwards a frame is not very complete.

29. Ostwind

Ostwind

Support for live rewind depends what platform you are using, file format, etc.

You can set active frame or time in all platforms unless streaming I think.

30. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

Yes

31. ixikos

ixikos

I can't find anything regarding Video on Android and can't seem to get it working. What is the official word?

32. mhopke

mhopke

Hi I just wanted to follow up on this issue, because I'm also experiencing one with the Unity dropdown. Have you received a bug report yet?

EDIT: I submitted a report; case number: 897959

Thanks for any help!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    SaraCecilia likes this.
  33. jdscogin

jdscogin

I have a possible issue. I have a VR program that runs fine in 5.5. But in 5.6, it runs find in the Editor, but when I build and run on my Samsung phone, it crashes as soon as it start up. Not sure how to debug it. As soon as it starts up it says "Unfortunately, VR Maze Run has stopped"

34. jdscogin

jdscogin

It appears that it has something to do with GVR libraries. Error Detected GVR libraries targeting a pre 5-4 build of Unity
    Unity/accets/plubins/Android/libs/armeabi-v7a/libgvrunity.so.
    It does work in 5.5. It wants to delete these files. If I let it delete them. the program crashes as soon as it starts on the Android device. If I make it keep the files, it loads and brings up the first screen, then freezes.

35. jdscogin

jdscogin

Found this in the changes to 5.6
    • Android: Buildpipe - Removed AnyCPU option from .so files in Plugin inspector.
    • not sure what to do about that.

36. Deleted User

Deleted User

Paste into MonoDevelop still doesn't work; I mean, the bug that has been described a great many times in the past is still there. When pasting a word copied in the editor (for example the name of a scene, as it just happened to me), nothing happens, we have to quit MonoDevelop and restart it so that it works.

Socrates likes this.
  37. Cascho01

Cascho01

38. NiklasBorglund

NiklasBorglund

But what about the completely new test runner? Are there any docs about that? I've been searching for information about it now for a while, but I can't find anything.
    • What is "play mode" and how does it differ exactly to "editor mode"?
    • Is the test runner completely rewritten? There's a lot of features removed - like filtering, rerun failed tests and seeing how many tests you have & how many tests failed.
    I found this on your BitBucket site:
    "This package will not be supported anymore. We introduced an integrated test runner in Unity 5.6 and will focus on developing it."

But I cannot find a proper introduction of it anywhere. Could you shine some light on this? It would be much appreciated since I use the test runner frequently :)

39. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

Hey, go into your Player Settings > Other Settings and under Rendering, uncheck "auto graphics api". Click the + sign then drag Vulkan from the drop down so that it's placed first in the list:

Screen Shot 2017-04-04 at 10.23.13.png

40. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

Keep an eye on the Future plans for the Mono runtime upgrade thread

elbows likes this.
  41. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

Ok, I understand. Do you have a callstack for the crash you could share?

42. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

I've raised this with the developers, and am checking to see what work has been done so far of documenting the new test runner.

Edit: updated docs are on their way.

43. Cascho01

Cascho01

"We have also made it easy to switch in and out of VR mode so that your applications can easily expand to the full Google VR audience and target Google Cardboard with full native support".

I want to test the new native Cardboard support and also to switch from VR to non-VR in runtime.
    To be more clear, I want to have a custom touchbased-camera and the ability to switch to a VR-Camera.

Where can I get detailed information about this?

44. NiklasBorglund

NiklasBorglund

Thanks!

45. petersx

petersx

with these steps thereis no crash - no report - editor hang - maybe some infinite loop ? (I close editor in windows task manager)

46. rwblodgett

rwblodgett

I have a similar issue, but on ios. The project worked in 5.5.2, but after the upgrade, it shows the two eye views in the Editor when you hit the play button, but when you build and deploy on the phone, all you get is a single unmovable camera view, as if there were no VR, no head tracking at all. No crashes.

This is in the Xcode console:

Code (CSharp):
    1. 2017-04-04 12:39:49.736080 centurios[1132:658774] [DYMTLInitPlatform] platform initialization successful
    3. 2017-04-04 12:39:49.803174 centurios[1132:658660] -> registered mono modules 0x1010fe3f0
    4. 2017-04-04 12:39:49.871690 centurios[1132:658660] You've implemented -[<UIApplicationDelegate> application:didReceiveRemoteNotification:fetchCompletionHandler:], but you still need to add "remote-notification" to the list of your supported UIBackgroundModes in your Info.plist.
    5. -> applicationDidFinishLaunching()
    6. Player data archive not found at `/var/containers/Bundle/Application/2F77C502-DB7D-4EE0-AFFE-3A874B388B3E/centurios.app/Data/data.unity3d`, using local filesystem2017-04-04 12:39:49.912893 centurios[1132:658660] Metal GPU Frame Capture Enabled
    7. 2017-04-04 12:39:49.913164 centurios[1132:658660] Metal API Validation Disabled
    8. [ERROR]native : unity.cc:182 Resume: Start() has not been called!
    10. [ERROR]native : unity.cc:182 Resume: Start() has not been called!
    12. -> applicationDidBecomeActive()
    13. GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1
    14. Initializing Metal device caps: Apple A9 GPU
    15. Initialize engine version: 5.6.0f3 (497a0f351392)
    16. [ERROR]native : unity.cc:182 Resume: Start() has not been called!
    18. [ERROR]native : unity.cc:182 Resume: Start() has not been called!
    20. UnloadTime: 5.515666 ms
    21. GVR Unity SDK Version: 1.30
    22. (Filename: /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)
    24. 2017-04-04 12:39:52.757634 centurios[1132:658660] INFO [vr/gvr/capi/src/gvr.cc:109] Initialized GVR version 1.30.0
    25. Built-in distortion correction disabled. Causes: [Requires OpenGL]
    26. GvrViewer:InitDevice()
    27. GvrViewer:Awake()
    28. (Filename: /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

47. cvasquez-coiron

cvasquez-coiron

Hello,
    We have a problem with latest Unity 5.6 official release, developing for Google Daydream.
    Our project worked perfectly fine in Unity 5.6b11 and Daydream 1.20.
    Today we updated Unity to 5.6.0f3 and GoogleVR 1.30.

In Editor looks fine, but when we run in Android phone the Some textures are messed up!!
    How can we fix it? Please check the attached images.

Thanks!

unity_5_6_texture_bug_3.jpg

unity_5_6_texture_bug_2.jpg unity_5_6_texture_bug_1.jpg

UPDATE: Is definitely a BUG in latest official release 5.6.0f3, rolled back to 5.6.0b11 (no modifications) and the new build worked perfectly in Android Daydream!! Looks like Daydream developers should stay with beta 5.6.0b11....

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    MrEsquire likes this.
  48. rsodre

rsodre

How about updating the awesome lightning tutorials now?

I was waiting for the release to fully read thru it and light my game, but some terms and options have changed, and sometimes it gets kinda confusing.

And why the 5.6 lightning docs are not updated yet? Those should be live now!

For those looking, most updated docs and information can be found here and here.

49. vertexx

vertexx

No need for Quicktime with the new video player?
    "Loop" works without any stress now :)
    Looking good.

50. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

Oh ok, you mentioned that Unity crashes in one of your earlier posts so I was hoping to get a callstack out of that. I can't recreate the editor hanging with the steps you provided in a clean project. I'm wondering if it's something in your project that may be causing this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.