Search Unity

1. Unity 2020.1 has been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for feedback on the experimental Unity Safe Mode which is aiming to help you resolve compilation errors faster during project startup.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

5.6 or 2017.1?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by NightMARE43, Jul 9, 2017.

1. NightMARE43

NightMARE43

Hi Guys I was just updating Unity and then i came to know 2017.1 is soon releasing.

SO, should i get 5.6 or 2017.1? Which one is better?

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

3. NightMARE43

NightMARE43

I just need it for personal use. Make small games with it. Maybe i wuld like to have better 2D Features coz my first game will be a 2D top down game.

4. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

If you are just getting started you won't notice much of a difference.

5. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Here is a brief overview of how we decide whether an Unity update is worth it. Read the Unity change-log and ask the team or perhaps just yourself:
    • Is the new version offering new features that help me with the project?
    • Is the new version fixing bugs I did run into, thus helps me with the project?
    If the answer to both of these questions is 'no', there is no need to bother with an update.

If the answer is 'yes', I have to look into the new version and make sure it still does work with the project. I make a copy of the project to use it with the new Unity version:
    • Is the editor at least equally good/robust as the old version?
    • Is the game build at least equally good/robust/fast as the old version?
    If the answer to one of these points is 'no', I file a bug-report and don't update. We do these tests on more just one Computer / OS, depending whether the team works with different OS's. If I consider the game build as fine (it could have taken a few iterations / patches), QA is thoroughly testing it as well. If they find an issue that isn't there with the old Unity version, I file a bug-report and don't update.

I keep working with the "copied project" for at least one week. If I find any issues during this time, that would hinder the project to advance, I file bug-reports, don't update, wait for a patch and repeat the procedure.

If the answer is finally 'yes' (this did take 6 months in the past already) and the new version is better than the old one, the team and build servers get the new Unity version installed, the project gets converted and any "automatically modified assets by Unity" are submitted to version control.

This approach is quite time consuming, but if you can't afford to fail, very necessary. It was quite terrible to see what broken versions Unity released in the past, but we learned our lesson.

6. NightMARE43

NightMARE43

Alright, so i upgraded it to 5.6! And i find it cool!!!

And yeah, your answer was really amazing and helpful @Peter77

Peter77 likes this.
  7. LeftyTwoGuns

LeftyTwoGuns

The press release makes 2017.1 sound like a compeltely different, stand alone engine from 5.6

Unity 2017.1 is available to all users with an active subscription plan (Personal, Plus and Pro). If you have Unity 5 perpetual license(s), Unity 5.6 was the last update in the 5.x cycle. To continue receiving all updates, go to the Unity Store and choose the plan that fits your needs.

I find this to be needlessly complicated and confusing. Is 2017.1 indeed a completely separate product or did the person writing this not really re-read what they wrote?

8. Murgilod

Murgilod

I see literally nothing confusing about this. The perpetual license for 5.x ends with 5.6, just as 4.7 was the last version for the 4.x cycle.

9. LeftyTwoGuns

LeftyTwoGuns

To continue receiving all updates, go to the Unity Store and choose the plan that fits your needs.

That's what's confusing me. It sounds like they're saying Unity 5.6 and Unity 2017.1 are two separate licenses. I don't understand how it's an important distinction to make.

So simply put, 2017.1 is the latest update to Unity?

10. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

They sort of are. The 5.x series had perpetual licenses and subscriptions. Unity 2017 is subscription only.

What you're quoting is simply saying, if you only have a perpetual license, please get a subscription for access to Unity 2017.

11. LeftyTwoGuns

LeftyTwoGuns

That's what I thought. Pretty disappointing

12. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Do you own a perpetual license?

13. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

What rock have you been hiding under? Unity 2017 was always going to be a major release, the same way Unity 5 was new and marked the end of updates to Unity 4.

And the perpetual license has been announced to be going away for almost a year now.

14. LaneFox

LaneFox

Like every single other major release, this one is exactly the same. Why are you surprised?

Also, update is a no brainer! .NET 4.6!

15. Ryiah

Ryiah

It's technically marked "experimental" with 2017.1. Last I knew they were going to mark it stable with 2017.2.

16. LaneFox

LaneFox

So the more we stress test, the more sure they can be :)

17. LeftyTwoGuns

LeftyTwoGuns

I guess I'm a little confused

Does this mean the perpetual license is being replaced with a subscription model entirely, not that Unity 2017.1 needs a subscription to use?

18. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

19. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes, and just to clarify free licenses will continue being available.

20. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

There is no perpetual license for Unity 2017. Unity 5 perpetual licenses are still valid for Unity 5, but don't expect any new feature updates. Going by normal patterns, bug fixes will still be a thing for a while.

Anyone on a subscription or using personal is unaffected, these lisences are valid for Unity 5 and Unity 2017.

21. LeftyTwoGuns

LeftyTwoGuns

Ahhh okay, kind of embarrassed now but thanks for clearing it up for me

22. NightMARE43

NightMARE43

AND - 2017.1 is released exactly 2 days after i got 5.6!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

It's just like - You purchase GTA 5 today (after having waited for it for like years) and then the next day GTA 6 is released.

23. Murgilod

Murgilod

...So just download 2017.1. It's not going to cost you anything unless you made the mistake of buying a perpetual license for 5.x.

24. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Or live in an Internet backwater like Australia where downloading a new version of Unity can be a full day event. :p

But in all seriousness, if you brought a subscription to 5, it counts for 2017 too. You haven't been able to buy perpetual for a while now.

So the only cost is the download and install time.

Alexarah likes this.
  25. RichardKain

RichardKain

The real question for one versus the other comes down to the particular circumstances of the project you are working on. Are you just starting out on your project? Then maybe 2017 is the way to go. Are you in the middle of your project? I'd recommend sticking to the 5.x series, which you know is stable and already fairly feature-rich. Changing up your engine version mid-project is usually a bad idea, especially if it to a major engine version upgrade. There's too much that could potentially change and potentially break the project you were working on. (or at the least require some major re-factoring)

I'm likely going to download 2017, and install it on my machine. But it will primarily be for testing and porting purposes. Any of my current projects are going to continue targeting 5.x as their primary release targets. I'm mainly interested in using some of the new tools in 2017 to work on some machinima projects I've had in mind for a while. The new release will be quite keen for those kinds of projects, and the end result will often get converted to video eventually. (so there's less technical risk)

ZJP, JamesArndt, gremberman and 2 others like this.
  26. Player7

Player7

I see no reason not to use 2017.1.f3 (released one) since 5.4x most unity releases have been less buggy going forward, updating to each new released has so far been alot less problematic than before for me anyway.

Just pay attention to the forum/issue tracker reports for the newer beta versions if you want to try those, some can be worse than other weekly releases. I'm still on 2017.1.f1 can't be bothered to download the latest 2017.1 that just came out, nor is 2017.2.b2 worth bothering with right now as it contains bugs that just make it pointless to use, short of testing some of its newer features, not worth the download, no idea why they even released it with the bugs that it has.

27. xtimus

xtimus

I'm not updating to 2017 since it is a subscription model.
    I'll keep my perpetual license. I'm willing to pay for another perpetual license to use 2017 version but I'm not a fan of subscription.

I see a major division here.

28. neginfinity

neginfinity

Eh, not really.

Quite a lot of people use personal edition till they HAVE to buy plus/professional.

I think that I'll stick with 5.6 till I finish current project, or maybe till the "red text everywhere" glitch really gets on my nerves.

29. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

@Peter77's described process nails it for me - update only when you get a practical benefit from it, and make sure you do QA for each aspect of your project as you go. For small projects this can often be done in an hour or two. For hobby projects it doesn't really matter. For big projects it's time consuming, but you can't afford the risk of not thoroughly checking things before you commit to the change.

By the way, this isn't knocking Unity or its QA. The whole point of updating the engine is that changes have been made, and when you're building a complex thing on top of another complex thing, some of those changes are going to show through. I personally find it pretty remarkable that most of the time the only changes that show through are positive ones, but on a significant project you can't leave that to chance.

Peter77 likes this.
  30. festival

festival

Unity 2017 also has a free license btw

31. newlife

newlife

This is to just to let you know that you can't have Unity 5 and Unity 2017 activated with the same serial. You can have Unity 4 and Unity 5 activated with the same serial but not Unity 5 (or 4) and Unity 2017. To me, this is a serious limitation and a clear lack of respect for we paying customers (I already have paid Unity Pro subscription for two years).

32. Ryiah

Ryiah

Outside of open source and indie software just about every major development tool available is on a subscription now.

33. ScoobyNooby

ScoobyNooby

at first I thought yep that seems the way it is but then I realised Cryengine, Godot, Lumberyard, Unreal engine are not. its only unity that's gone in this direction?
    if we are talking about artistic tool then yeah I think substance and mega scans are subscription.

34. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

CryEngine
    https://www.cryengine.com/get-cryengine/subscription

Unreal Engine 4
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-03-19-epic-converts-unreal-engine-to-subscription-service

Amazon Lumberyard
    https://aws.amazon.com/lumberyard/faq/

35. ScoobyNooby

ScoobyNooby

hahaha peter I can see some bias here lol

Unreal engine you pointed to an old link instead of a current .... lol
    Unreal no longer has that monthly subscription.

CryEngine
    "No royalties. No obligations.
    The most powerful game development platform is now available to everyone. Full engine source code. All features. No royalties. No obligations. No license fee."

Amazon Lumberyard : its still not a subscription, aws is a different service.

Edit :
    I'm not against subscription by the way. every company does what they can to survive.

36. Ryiah

Ryiah

Crytek is desperate for business and is perpetually late to party when it comes to adapting to the market. They received a cash infusion from the Turkish government but at best that will only suffice for a few years of operation costs (average employee cost for a studio is about $100,000).

Godot is open source but even if it weren't it simply isn't a major player in the game engine industry.

Amazon's primary focus is on selling services but for all intents the game engine is basically a toy to them. Practically any decision they take with the engine will have no meaningful effect on their bottom line for the simple fact that the monetary amount they paid for it is insignificant to them. At best it's a very minute fraction of their yearly revenue.

Royalties can easily become higher than the cost of Unity's subscription and are a complete hassle to deal with as you have to constantly report income to them for practically the rest of eternity or until the game has completely ceased making any money. With a subscription you basically throw cash at Unity and they leave you alone.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  37. ScoobyNooby

ScoobyNooby

I would agree with most of what you said here, however based on current pricing, I don't think the majority of these game engines are subscription based. its the minority.. Just unity.

However I for one prefer a "unity" subscription than say 5% of sales.
    interesting to read that cry engine got funding from Turkish government. are you sure government and not mafia? :p

edited out.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
unityunity