Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

5.6 Animator bug broke my game.

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Shizola, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Shizola

Shizola

2. hangar

hangar

We're noticing this, too. There are a lot of 5.6 bugs and a lot of crashes that are hard to report because they're hard to pin down into test cases. It's probably a good idea to hold off upgrading if you can. The 5.5 series was super-stable in comparison.

3. GorrionMW

GorrionMW

Same here. Animation.Rebind function doesn't work either. Most of our animations are broken because of this.

Looks like they changed the description in the issue tracker, but it still remains as solved in 5.6.0 which doesn't seem to be true

4. DavidGeoffroy

DavidGeoffroy

Unity Technologies

The fix is coming in 5.6.0p1. The bug was caught too late for 5.6.0.
    5.6.0p1 should be out tomorrow or the day after.

Shizola and GorrionMW like this.
  5. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

Man. And i spent hours trying to redo animations thinking that something changed in 5.6, and still couldn't make it work.
    Now i'm a bit angry...
    Things like this shouldn't have gone through, especially since 5.6 was in open beta?

MrEsquire and Shizola like this.
  6. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Patch delayed again, would be nice to have i after a final release has some unwanted bugs..

screenname_taken and Shizola like this.
  7. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

And a show stopper bug at that.

8. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

@DavidGeoffroy
    Any news on the patch?
    Reeeeeeeaally need that animation fix.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  9. marf

marf

Still no sign of the patch!

10. Shizola

Shizola

Patch has arrived now. Let's hope that it actually works, I don't have much confidence these days.

11. ArachnidAnimal

ArachnidAnimal

Wait a minute here.

Since when is an Animator SUPPOSED to reset when disabling the game object and re-enabling it????????

How is this desired behaviour????????

What if you didn't want it to reset?

Seems like a reset should be done through a script, not automatically done when you disable and re-enable the gameobject.

12. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

What happens is that it also doesn't start when you enable the object.
    You just call StopPlayback().
    Its done so in case you have spawning enemies or objects i guess, and you just want them to do something then just leave.
    If you build the object with animation triggers then you obviously use the triggers. If not, then you have it triggering when the object is loaded.

13. mmvlad

mmvlad

Each new unity build just brings more bugs. Why would you even release it if you didn't test it properly?
    Classic Unity

ZJP likes this.
  14. Fredgdperry

Fredgdperry

New unity coder/animator here... version 5.6.1f1...

When I rotate an object vector to a negative value, is the animator SUPPOSE automatically add 360 degrees to my value? Is there anything I can do to prevent that from just going straight to curves? (Which are hard to see when my tweaks are small... or it's always so zoomed out.)

It also seems like Animator outright refuses to move from state to state. I've tried deleting my animator and then making a new one and adding my animations in. The only thing that works is if I create brand new animations in a brand new animator.

Is that what I have to do? Am I SOL when it comes to my old animations for my models? (I spent days on those!)

15. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

You should start a new thread for this question. Unity and any other animation application (including Maya for instance) will interpolate to their target using the smallest distance value. It's what makes sense to them. If you find them rotating the wrong way around, just add more intermediate keyframes.

16. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Since I am only now running into this myself I want to make sure:
    The expected/correct behaviour is that the Animator resets to its default state when the gameobject is disabled and reenabled, right?