Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

5.5 Splash not appearing in build...

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by petey, Dec 1, 2016.

1. petey

petey

Hi all,
    Just grabbed the release of 5.5 and the new splash screen doesn't seem to appear on the build!?

The preview works great but on the build there's nothing :(
    Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?
    I'm in Xcode 8.1

Thanks,
    Pete

2. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

What platform are you building for? What do you see instead?

3. CrankyPeacock

CrankyPeacock

This is happening for me also (in Unity 5.5), building to iOS in Xcode 8.1. The splash screen does not appear. The preview works fine in the editor.

What I notice is happening though is when I launch the game on the device, there is no splash screen but instead the first scene loads but appears frozen, for exactly the same duration as I had the splash screen set to show. My splash screen is set to appear for 5 seconds, and once I launch the game I can't interact with anything for 5 seconds.

Here are the settings:

upload_2016-12-3_11-15-46.png

Not sure if this will help, but in the build files, the launch screen files are all quite small:

upload_2016-12-3_11-16-4.png

4. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

We are working on a fix for the iOS issues at the moment.

5. Image3d

Image3d

Unity Version 5.5.03f Personal Edition on old imported Projects the Splash Screen Options does not appear.

On new Projects the Splash Screen Options appears.

It seems to be a bug on opening old Projects...

6. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Did you have the splash disabled on the previous version? We have a fix for that on the way.

7. ooblii

ooblii

Glad to hear a fix is in the works. I've been trying for the past couple hours to get it to work on iOS. I even tried taking every old splash image out and unchecking "Show Splash Screen" and the build still showed the old splash screen at about 300%.

8. CrankyPeacock

CrankyPeacock

Any idea on timing?

9. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

5.5 is showing the old splash screen? That sounds like a bug, can you report it.

10. FlackAttack

FlackAttack

I just installed 5.5.0f3 today and I wanted to say that I am also getting this on an ANDROID build. I am using Unity Plus, Windows x64 deploying to Android. I get a black screen for the duration of the time of the splash screen.

I tried multiple deployments and I almost got it to work when I tried it with the unity splash screen tandem with my personal screen, but once I reverted back to just my company logo it stopped working again. I really want this to work with my company logo only.

I hope the bug fix is for all platforms and not just iOS (even though I plan on deploying to iOS as well).

Thanks!

UPDATE--

For sake of being thorough, I just deployed it about 6 times with different options selected from the splash screen options. The closest I get to this working is when I select to show the unity logo as well. However, during the duration of that part the screen is black and then my company logo does show up.

Again, if I put the options as I would like them (my company logo only) it shows black for the duration and then loads my first scene.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  11. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

The issue has a fix for both iOS and Android. iOS is likely to come along first, the Android one has some dependencies on 5.6 that I need to work out for 5.5.

12. FlackAttack

FlackAttack

Thanks for the reply Karl.

So does that mean the Android fix won't roll out until 5.6 launches or will there be a patch for 5.5? By the way, I really do like the new features. Can't wait for it to work so I can deploy them.

Have a great day!

13. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

No it's going to get fixed in 5.5. just means it needs to be fixed twice so will take a little longer.

14. Salazar

Salazar

I had a similar problem with Unity 5.5.03f , Android. Splash screen freezes in very low opacity for duration i set in settings, so i couldn't get that fancy animation or static image.
    Its already reported that unity android opens late with a large scene.So,
    A quick work around for me is, making an empty landing scene, with only a orthographic camera.

Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using UnityEngine;
    3. using UnityEngine.SceneManagement;
    4. public class LandingScene : MonoBehaviour {
    6.     // Use this for initialization
    7.     void Start () {
    8.         StartCoroutine(LoadLevelLate());
    9.     }
    10.     IEnumerator LoadLevelLate()
    11.     {
    12.         yield return new WaitForSeconds(1f);
    13.         SceneManager.LoadScene(1);
    14.     }
    16. }
    Hope this helps who came here with this Unity 5.5 new splash screen opacity problem.

Best Regards,

karl_jones likes this.
  15. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Yes that will work. You can also draw the splash in the loading scene to ensure it shows fully.
    https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Rendering.SplashScreen.html

Salazar likes this.
  16. CrankyPeacock

CrankyPeacock

Hey Karl, any idea on timing for this fix?

17. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

A fix for both iOS and Android will be coming next week :)

vblank, Iiva, ooblii and 1 other person like this.
  18. CrankyPeacock

CrankyPeacock

Cool! Thanks for the update. :)

vblank and SaraCecilia like this.
  19. vblank

vblank

The new patch (5.5.0p2) from Friday did not fix this problem on iOS.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  20. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

It's fixed for both Android and iOS in this weeks patch 5.5.0p3

vblank and ooblii like this.
  21. vblank

vblank

Thank you for the clarification Karl!

22. BigToe

BigToe

Making sure that that patch hasn't been released as of Wednesday 12/21 correct? Just making sure I wasn't missing something.

23. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

CloudOfFate likes this.
  24. CloudOfFate

CloudOfFate

Hi, thanks for the headsup on the ETA. It seems that HoloLens platform also suffer from the splash screen issues similar to the Android and iOS platform, May I know that if this issue is happening not only on my side ? Thank you !

25. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

It sounds familiar, I believe this may have been fixed by the hololens team. It's worth filing a bug report for this as I'm away now and it may get missed.

26. declandwyer

declandwyer

27. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

You should not need to do this on p3. If you just enable the splash in the player settings it will show the whole thing before switching to the scene. It should now animate correctly and not skip. If it's still not working then could you file a bug report however it really should be fixed now.

28. vblank

vblank

Maybe I am doing something wrong, but splash screens appear to still be broken in 5.5.0p3.

Also, I appear to have new problems after installing 5.5.0p3. Unity is now showing two warnings about WebCamTexture class and Microphone class when I build my project for iOS. Here is the exact text of the two warnings:

WebCamTexture class is used but Camera Usage Description is empty. App will not work on iOS 10+.
    UnityEditor.HostView:OnGUI()

Microphone class is used but Microphone Usage Description is empty. App will not work on iOS 10+.
    UnityEditor.HostView:OnGUI()

To be clear, I am *not* using the Microphone class or the WebCamTexture class.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  29. vblank

vblank

More about 5.5.0p3 ...

I just created a totally blank project in 5.5.0p3 and built it for iOS. It gives the same two warnings I already mentioned above (WebCamTexture and Microphone descriptions are empty .... and the "App will not work on iOS 10+").

I assume this means that if I built my game right now and submitted it to Apple, it would be rejected, because it would be incorrectly indicating to them that it uses the Web Cam and the Microphone ... and I'm not going to enter descriptions for them because my game does not use them.

I think this means that 5.5.0p3 is effectively useless to anyone who wants to build & submit an app for iOS, and doesn't want to use the Web Cam and the Microphone (which is probably most games?).

Also, the splash screens still don't work ... even in my fresh project.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  30. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Unfortunately the iOS splash screen fix had to be removed before releasing as it had some issues. I have been away this week so missed this news. It won't be till January now. For the other problems please file a bug report.

31. Koshimador

Koshimador

I am also having problems with the splash screen for Android. In the preview it is fine, but when I run the .apk build on my phone it is just a black screen before it flashes a couple times and loads the scene.

32. CrankyPeacock

CrankyPeacock

It does seem that way. Either way it's disappointing given it was a long-coming feature of 5.5. Especially disappointing for paying customers. o_O

33. aheidorn

aheidorn

I'm seeing the WebCam and Microphone warnings in 5.5.0p3 as well. What this means is that you will not be allowed to upload your app to iTunesConnect (via Xcode) - even for TestFlight - as it will get rejected during processing. A temp fix for me (so I can get the build out to TestFlight users) was to add descriptions for the WebCam and Microphone fields - even though I am not using them. This worked properly in 5.5.0p1 (as I submitted my last build with that version).

vblank likes this.
  34. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Please submit a bug report for the WebCam and Microphone issues, they are unrelated to the splash screen changes. Likely caused by a different change.

35. lordnedox

lordnedox

So there is no workaround for iOS?
    I've read somewhere a fix would be available "maybe" by the end of the month.. that's quite a long time considering the problem makes any game unreleasable due to the ugly gray-ish screen.

I'm waiting to release just because of this problem... (using Unity plus here)

36. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Can you not use the iOS static splash screen instead as a workaround? You should be able to disable the custom splash if you have Unity pro.

vblank likes this.
  37. lordnedox

lordnedox

Hi, thanks for the reply. Could you please advise which options you are referring too? (see attached picture)

If you mean to completely remove the splash image (meaning the user would see a black screen for 3-4 seconds) I don't think that would be a feasible option as it would spoil the user experience.

Thanks

Attached Files:

38. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Hi. I mean the Legacy Launch Images near the bottom.

vblank likes this.
  39. vblank

vblank

Karl, thanks for your continued attention to this issue. I ended up rolling back to 5.5.0f3 and took your advice about using legacy splash screens for now. This is an acceptable solution for the moment. Thanks again.

karl_jones likes this.
  40. steven073

steven073

So, excuse me for this question, i don't all understand...

With Unity 5.5.0p3 , the black screen instead the SlashScreen when we build an Android APP is resolved ?
    We don't have the black screen again when we launch our game ?

For obtain Unity 5.5.0p3 ,
    The installation crushes the old one? Or should we reinstall everything?

Thanks you for help !
    Apologize for my French-English ^^

41. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

For Android 5.5.0p3 fixes the black screen. For iOS you need to wait for 5.5.1p1.

vblank and steven073 like this.
  42. ooblii

ooblii

is 5.5.1f1 still any day now?

43. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Its due Wednesday providing no issues delay it.

44. ooblii

ooblii

Thanks Karl!

45. tessellation

tessellation

46. ooblii

ooblii

I was running into that as well with the introduction of p3. Go to Project Settings --> Player. In the Configuration section of Other Settings you'll find three usage fields: Camera, Location, Microphone. Change those to "not used" and it will be added to your info.plist file. I never noticed those fields before, but the problem is that since p3 Unity is adding those fields to your plist, but since the description is not set, Apple will throw the error. I haven't actually tested this through TestFlight yet, but based on the info a gathered digging around for a solution, that should work.

47. tessellation

tessellation

I did the same thing and it works with TestFlight but I fear that once I try to get my app through apple's review process they will raise a stink about it simply because I don't explain it to the user and apparently Unity is somehow referencing those methods in the API.

48. ooblii

ooblii

Yeah, I'm not sure. I believe I saw a thread somewhere that the "not used" got it through Apple. I'm hopefully submitting very soon so I'll try to report back.

49. CrankyPeacock

CrankyPeacock

Release notes from 5.5.1:
    "iOS: Unity splash screen doesn't show up on iOS builds (856772). This will be fixed in a future patch release."

This is the third time Unity has said it's going to be fixed in a particular patch, and hasn't been.

I hate to be "that guy" who's snarky about it, but this is really poor form. I'm beginning to regret my subscription.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  50. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

I said the fix is in 5.5.1p1, perhaps you thought I meant 5.5.1f1?
    We have not changed it, QA identified issues when testing in December and so it got delayed until p1 which is due within the week, probably Friday. I'm sorry if you feel you have been misled but we can only give estimates on bug fix releases until the fix has actually landed(which the iOS splash now has). There is always the chance something will be found during QA testing or when we backport a fix.